InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ That's Show Business ❯ Thinking of You ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inu Yasha or anybody else. Especially not Nora Jones. She's an amazing singer person dude that I might have in later chapters. Or this one. So many surprises. Wow.

chihiro-san: Hey…*yyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnn*… ;.mmm, sorry. I'm soooo dead. Bin up since about, I dunno, o-dark-thirty. Jus' doin' stuff. Y'know. Or maybe you don't. Either way, I don't care. I'm the living dead, and I'm DEPRESSED! This is one of the more depressing chapters and I'm listening to sad mooooosic. Music. Get it together peoples. Ugh…don't mind the loon with the migraine. She can fend for herself.

~*~*~*~

It had been months since Kagome had quit her job. She still couldn't quite recall why she had quit, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. A lot of things seemed like a good idea, some more unsavory than others. All that she remembered was that she needed to get as far away from Inu Yasha as possible, and now that she was away she was broken. She remembered the first night in her apartment like it was yesterday…

*

"Well, here it is. 8B. Enjoy," the landlord grumbled as he kicked her door open. The place looked like something out of a science fiction novel, and a bad one at that. The off-white wallpaper was peeling and stained brown in places from water molding. Cracks spidered along the ceiling in an almost artistic way. There wasn't a light switch or a lamp anywhere. The place was quite dark and smelled strongly of rotting cabbage stew. Kagome placed a hand over her mouth and nose as she entered the derelict two-room wreck. She wandered around the small kitchen/living room. The carpet was moth-eaten and gray, but she had a sneaking suspicion that it wasn't gray when the owner bought it. Small traces of dust lifted from the floor as she stepped gingerly around the room. One door on the eastern wall was hanging slightly off its rusty hinges. She stepped up to it, but as soon as she reached for the doorknob, it fell in on itself, sending an enormous cloud of dust into the air. Coughing, Kagome entered the room.

She had to step over the door to go into the bedroom, but there didn't seem to be any place to step to. The only thing in it was a queen-sized bed and that was the only thing that would fit. Kagome lightly mused over how they got the bed in there in the first place as she inspected the en suit bathroom. The tile was green and fuzzy, not intentionally, of course, but behind the moss there seemed to be some charm. The bathroom had a light, at least. Actually, it was a bare bulb that was half-hazardly jammed into the ceiling. Either way, when Kagome flicked the switch, nothing happened. She shook her head and decided that when they said `fixer-upper' they weren't kidding.

That night was absolute Hell. Nothing seemed to work in the blasted house, it was dirty and stank to high heaven, and to top it all off it rained that night. Kagome was up until way past midnight because of the storm. Not only was it torture to sleep in a large, unfamiliar bed in an unfamiliar city, but the lightning was painfully bright and the thunder was excruciatingly loud. So she sat wide awake, clutching a candle, sitting on the patchwork couch, with a blanket thrown around her, watching droplets of water fall from her ceiling and plink into the bottom of various bowls that she had spread about the living room. To top it off, she had found out that she was not alone in her little two-room. Just then a strange bug leapt up onto the `coffee table'. It had six legs, two sets of feelers, one set of large pincers, and about a bajillon zillion compound eyes. It blinked at her in an ominous way. By then, Kagome just wasn't in the mood.

"What're you looking at?" she scowled, flicking it off of the table with her foot. It buzzed in annoyance when it fell onto the carpet, gnashed its pincers threateningly, and wiggled it's was into a crack in the wall.

"Hm. I thought the landlord said `no pets'," she mumbled to the darkness in an almost amused way.

*

Her first night seemed a million yeas away, even though it was only seven months ago. She had fixed up the place in that time so that it was almost unrecognizable. The grimy, water stained `white' wallpaper was replaced with a soft blue color. Her kitchen was redone in a cabin(ish) style, done in polished teak. The couch had a cream-colored slip cover made and it was re-stuffed so that you actually sat ON it instead of IN it. What was the empty doorway to Kagome's room was now blocked by a thin, creamy, silk curtain. The enormous bed was taken out and replaced with a smaller one so that she would actually have room to move around in. It seemed that five hours of scrubbing revealed the bathroom's true nature: old, expensive, rust colored Spanish tiles that were worth up to $500. In the end, it was a pretty cute bathroom. There were, of course, lamps and little feminine touches. A vase with some daisies, maybe a watercolor painting.

All in all, the place shaped up really well, but no matter how cheery or cute it became, Kagome still felt hollow inside. Why hadn't he done anything to find her? Why hadn't she found him? Many questions plagued her daily, and, in the end, brought her to tears. In the span of seven months everything had been fixed, except for her heart. Inu Yasha hadn't done a thing to find her. He knew that she was in Sacramento, but he never did a thing to find her. Seven months without a phone call. Seven long, hard, cold months without a single thought bent on her. She finally grew to accept the fact that he didn't want to find her, and in the end, Kagome let the pain wash over her. She was used to pain. Kouga had caused it, along with a few others, and now it was Inu Yasha's turn. Life was normal once again.

~*~*~*~

"Inu Yasha? Inu Yasha, are you even listening to me?" his agent snapped. She was a moderate height, and rather shapely, but he hadn't noticed when he'd hired her. She was said to be the best, and that was all that his `father' cared about. The hanyou quickly glanced up at her before placing his chin in his hands.

"No, not really. What was that again?" If at first you don`t succeed, be brutally honest. The uptight agent sighed in annoyance and told him again.

"Sesshomaru called, saying that Random Moviegoers wants both of you in their next `box-office smash'." `Oh joy. I get to prance around on set. Again. God I hate being an actor.'

"Tell him I'm not interested."

"But Inu Yasha - "

"No buts; I'm not doing it." His agent grumbled and walked away stiffly, mumbling something about `incompetent dick'. He didn't care though. He was a dick and he knew it. How could he have let Kagome hate him so much? She had been on his mind for about a month now. Well, she had been on his mind for seven months, but the past month had been filled with constant reminders. He sighed and began to pace around his living room. The New York flat seemed so empty lately. The décor was a pale white, futuristic style that he used to like. Now it just seemed so dull and uninviting. He flopped back down onto the white vinyl couch and let loose an agonizing sigh. His thoughts began to swirl as he remembered their last encounter.

*

"WAIT KAGOME!!" he yelled in anguish as her train sped up and out. He fell to his knees and watched it go. There was nothing else he could do. She was gone, and he soon realized that she had wanted to go. Why else would she buy a ticket? Why else would she just sit in her seat and stare at him while he sprinted after her like a fool? He bent over and curled up into himself, shaking with sorrow.

"No…"he sobbed dryly. This was the occasion for tears, but he had learned long ago that `real men' didn't cry. He had his father to thank for that lesson. After an hour of mourning by the tracks, a familiar hand fell onto his back, rubbing it reassuringly.

"Hey," Miroku said. Inu Yasha stopped shaking, but stayed in a ball.

"Hey," he echoed.

"You okay?" Miroku asked.

"No."

*

It seemed like that moment in his life was a thousand years ago, but the pain of losing her was still a potent as when it had happened. Millions of stray thoughts hit him all at once. Hatred and loathing for himself had formed over the months. He hated that he didn't try to find her, but for some reason he felt that she didn't want to see him anymore. If she had wanted to, she could have contacted his agent and left a message at the very least. Not all of the blame fell onto his shoulders. Either way, the premier for his movie was just around the bend, and Naraku always invited the whole staff. `I'll see her then…I hope.'

~*~*~*~

chihiro-san: Oh Gods, I'm gonna pass out on the keys. I hate to leave you guys with just a little bit to read, but I gotta get some sleep, especially since I'm hitting the slopes tomorrow. Bright and early. Yayers. Well, it was….was….zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz…