InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Accident ❯ Epilogue

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================






The following morning, nothing was awkward for our favorite couple as they stirred lazily to the sounds of songbirds chirping right outside the opened bedroom window. Waking up in each other’s arms had become commonplace by that point in time, although this was the first morning that greeted them sans clothing. Unashamed in the presence of each other’s nudity, neither of them attempted to hide themselves from their mate’s eyes as they casually dressed for the day.

Despite Inuyasha’s previous eagerness to get back to the mission, he came to realize just how nice it was to be able to spend time with Kagome alone as the couple shared a peaceful breakfast around her family’s kitchen table, and decided in that moment that they could wait until after her mother and grandfather’s return before heading back to his time. Besides, he wanted to thank Kagome’s mother personally for allowing him into their lives, and into their family.

The rest of the morning was spent cuddled together in each other’s arms as they sat upright on Kagome’s bed, Inuyasha holding her to him preciously as he leaned back against the wall. They spoke of their hopes, their dreams, and their fears. No matter what life threw at them, they would face it together, and each of them swore to the other that their love would never waver, never fade with time, and never fall for a trick thought up by the evil hanyou. They were certain that if Naraku ever caught wind of their mating it would make Kagome an even bigger target than she already was, but Inuyasha vowed that he would protect her all the more fiercely, and that included never letting her leave his sight for days at a time returning to her world unescorted. They reached the compromise that so long as she never put up a fight over the fact that he would always be going with her, he wouldn’t put up a fight about her wanting to return home in the first place. Yes, it did put a stop to their mission whenever she needed to return to the future, but that wasn’t really the real reason why he always bitched about it as much as he did. Admitting in that moment that he had always missed her whenever she was gone, and that a part of him had even feared she would never return again, even if it was against her will and some evil plot of the well itself, Inuyasha was afraid she was about to scold him for his foolishness only to discover Kagome’s lips pressed against his own in understanding, apology, and reassurance.

When her mother and grandfather finally returned in the early hours of afternoon, Mrs. Higurashi pulled Inuyasha into a loving embrace, and told him that while she knew she could never replace his own mother, he was more than welcome to call her by the title. In fact, she practically insisted that he call her ‘Mother’, although her manner was playful, earning herself a smile from the half-demon as he agreed to her request.

Kagome’s grandfather was none too thrilled, as was to be expected, but he then surprised the couple by admitting that he had known it was only a matter of time. Just like Kagome’s mother, the old man had been unable to deny his granddaughter’s calling. He still had a more old-fashioned way of thinking, as was to be expected, and like Kikyou, he only accepted Inuyasha because of his human half, but he at least went as far as to admit that his youkai half must not be evil…otherwise his ofuda would surely work on him, because there was clearly nothing wrong with the ofuda themselves. Kagome had to struggle not to giggle at that, while her grandfather told her mate that he was lucky he was a hanyou, because he would not have permitted her to go traipsing around with a pureblooded youkai. Because his heart and mind were human, thus ensuring he would love and honor Kagome like a proper husband should, Jii-chan said he could overlook Inuyasha’s youkai body, and would not reject his future part-youkai great-grandchildren. At a complete loss for words, Inuyasha bowed respectfully, doing his best to fight back the first ever tears of joy stinging the inside of his eyes.

When they finally made their return to the Sengoku jidai, Kagome found herself swept up in welcoming embrace after welcoming embrace immediately upon entering Kaede’s hut. Sango was first, followed by the elderly miko, and then Miroku. Inuyasha glared daggers at the monk while he hugged Kagome, but sending the hanyou a look of compliance, Miroku had no intention of doing anything inappropriate as he welcomed back the girl he had truly come to think of as a little sister of sorts. Impatiently waiting for the adults to finish their turns, little Shippou was last, and he practically flew straight into Kagome’s arms while crying her name, grateful beyond words to finally have his miko back. Inuyasha smirked to himself at the sight, noting how the wench was awfully good with children, and while he knew it definitely had to wait a while, he began fantasizing about just what their future children might look like. Lost in thought as he was for the moment, the hanyou failed to realize just what his expression revealed to their friends, two seconds before Shippou took a deep whiff of the woman holding him and blurted excitedly, “You mated!”

Inuyasha choked while Kagome’s face grew as dark as her mate’s kimono.

“Really now…” Miroku chimed up, thoughtfully stroking his chin, while Sango was too embarrassed by Shippou’s bluntness to reprimand the houshi for exploiting their friends’ shattered privacy for his own amusement.

Shippou didn’t understand their reactions, as if it was supposed to be a secret. The change in Kagome’s scent was obvious, after all. He thought it was great news, because if Kagome was mated to Inuyasha, then that meant she would be staying in their time, instead of one day returning to her own world for good, which had always been his secret fear.

It was a fear the hanyou had shared until very recently.

Finally getting over his initial shock and sending another glare in the houshi’s direction for his comment, Inuyasha puffed up his chest in that moment before glancing around at the other occupants of the hut, namely the trained warrior-woman who was almost as protective of Kagome as he was, and the elderly miko who could purify him to a crisp if she so chose. He showed no fear as he admitted, “Yeah, so? Anyone got a problem with it?”

“None whatsoever.” Miroku answered honestly, though he couldn’t keep the smirk from appearing on his lips.

“We’re happy for you.” Sango added in that moment, her smile more genuine and less amused.

Getting over her own embarrassment over how their friends had just found out about their mating, Kagome tried to look on the bright side of at least not having to worry any more about how to bring the subject up more subtly.

I guess if it’s obvious to Shippou, it’ll be obvious to most other youkai, too…

That thought had the miko realizing something that would definitely break her new mate of his sudden defensiveness.

“I’m sure Kouga will have a problem with it, though it’s really none of his business.” she stated matter-of-factly, though with the slightest touch of humor to her voice.

Just as predicted, instead of growing more agitated at the sound of his formal rival’s name, a huge grin broke out over Inuyasha’s face, revealing his fangs, as he openly and lovingly wrapped his arm around Kagome’s shoulders, pulling her to his side as he laughed at the ookami’s expense. He even promised for Kagome’s sake not to kill Kouga, and only remain on the defensive if the wolf ever decided to attack him. With the tension in the atmosphere thoroughly broken, Kagome surprised her friends for the second time in as many minutes as she then asked Kaede to remove the subduing rosary. She would’ve removed it herself immediately upon Inuyasha’s original confession of love, but the young miko knew that only the one who cast the spell on the rosary could remove it, so it had been beyond her power.

Inuyasha bowed his head humbly as Kaede lifted the holy beads from around his neck, his posture reminiscent of one most people adopted when acquiring something, like a medal. Raising his head as he felt the weight of his necklace removed, the hanyou reached a shaky hand to his chest, as if to confirm its absence, despite the fact that he could see the beads quite clearly in Kaede’s hands. The fact that Kagome had asked for them to be removed showed tremendous love, and tremendous trust. He did have an evil side lurking just under the surface, though it was also true that he’d never harmed Kagome during one of his transformations, and it was clearly her belief that he never would.

Dinner that night was spent joyfully around the fire-pit in Kaede’s hut, as everyone got caught up beyond what the pen pall letters had been capable of doing. They joked and laughed, teasing each other good-naturedly. Then, the following morning, it was finally business as usual as the ini-tachi headed back out into the unknown.  

Just as predicted, when Kouga finally made his next appearance, the ookami-youkai could immediately detect the change in Kagome’s scent that branded her as belonging to the hanyou. Fortunately, he didn’t become as violent as they had all feared was possible, slumping his shoulders in defeat as he begrudgingly admitted to knowing all along of her feelings for the mutt. He had only hoped that he would be able to sway her heart, having also known of Inuyasha’s previous indecision regarding the former undead miko. Learning that Inuyasha had in fact chosen Kagome over his past love openly, and that Kikyou had voluntarily passed on and would never again be an issue between them, Kouga was secretly glad for Kagome, wanting the girl to be happy above anything else.

The next time Sesshoumaru came around he showed amazing disinterest in the whole thing, having already accused Inuyasha of keeping Kagome around as a mate the first time he’d met the miko in their father’s tomb. The fact that she finally ‘stunk’ like his half-brother only proved to the Daiyoukai that his original beliefs had been true all along. The half-breed shared their father’s weakness; a fate he swore would never befall himself, even as he strolled off with a little human girl hot on his heels. Only time would tell what might or might not develop in that department.

The final battle with Naraku was long in the making, though when the dark day was finally upon them, they were ready. It took everything they had, and the help of a few additional allies collected along the way, but the dark hanyou finally met his end, and the Shikon no Tama was finally completed. In Kagome’s time, her friends all thought she had finally been cured of whatever mysterious string of illnesses had been inflicting their friend since around her fifteenth birthday. Because she missed so much school during the buildup to the final showdown with their enemy, her family had told the school board they had sent her away to a medical facility that would be trying a few things to see if they could find a cure, so upon her return, the story was that they had succeeded.

Kagome was able to finish the rest of her schooling leisurely, without the extra strain of worrying over the outcome of potential life or death battles while trying to study for her various exams. Inuyasha was content to hang out in Kagome’s time during her days at school, following her from the shadows, waiting up on the roof of the school for her classes to be over. It was sometimes boring, but he would not leave his mate alone in her world for the kami knew what to happen to her. It was mildly embarrassing for Kagome the day she got busted when her mate overheard her friends asking her about her ‘jealous, two-timing, possessive boyfriend’, but the miko was as honest as she possibly could be when she told them that Inuyasha had finally told his ex-girlfriend that he chose her, and that the two of them were together now, for good. She even went as far as telling her friends that she and Inuyasha were engaged to be married, since in a way it was true, he had agreed to go through the motions of a Shinto wedding with her after she graduated from high school. The fact that they were already mated and the ‘wedding’ would only be for show was irrelevant. Once Kagome got home Inuyasha appeared and teased her a little, but also informed her that he would be more than willing to stick up for himself if her friends needed to hear it from his own mouth that he would never be breaking her heart ever again.

Until school was over, Kagome and Inuyasha spent most weeks in her time and went back together to visit their friends in the past during the weekends. It was quickly discovered that the completed Shikon no Tama was more trouble than it was worth, at least back in the Warring States era where there were beasts of all sorts drawn to the power of the jewel. Having the jewel in the past put the entire village at risk, as it acted like a giant beacon, luring everything towards them. Still, Kagome didn’t dare leave it unattended in the future, even though there didn’t appear to be any more youkai in her own time after the bobble. Despite the apparent inactivity of youkai in her time, the girl knew she couldn’t take any chances, which left her reluctant to venture into the past at all, until they came up with a solution. Kaede was the one who suggested the possibility of the young miko taking the Shikon no Tama back within herself. It had been dormant within her body, and Mistress Centipede had only been able to smell it because she had gotten so close to Kagome. There would still be a marginal danger for the girl as any youkai who got close enough would be able to smell the jewel within her body, but it would at least prevent the jewel from sending out a signal that attracted youkai from all over the country. Kagome readily agreed, having come to the same conclusion Kaede had. She had been born with the Shikon no Tama within her body, and within her body it would return; it never should have been removed in the first place. Within her, the jewel was most easily protected, and it was also naturally kept pure, unable to be touched by evil.

Kagome had thought some sort of surgery would be required, but as it turned out, she was able to absorb the jewel within herself merely by placing it against the scar where Mistress Centipede had ripped it from her body. Even more remarkable, the scar glowed before fading before everyone’s eyes, indicating to the two miko that the jewel was happy with their decision. Kagome felt a rush of power as the jewel reentered her body, but not in a scary way. It was comforting, as if the jewel was thanking her.

Life continued to move forward for the inu-tachi. It wasn’t long before Sango and Miroku admitted their love for one another and decided to live together as husband and wife. Ordinarily, Sango would be required to move in with Miroku and his family, but because he had no family of his own in the village, and no place to call home, it was decided that with the aid of the village carpenter, a new hut would be constructed for the couple. They had done the world a service by ridding it of the evil that was once Naraku, so the villagers were eager to do whatever they could to help, to extend welcome to the houshi and taijiya. It was also quickly discovered that Inuyasha and Kagome were welcomed amongst the people, as well, despite his youkai blood. Many of the elderly still remembered him from their childhood, from the days of Kikyou, and how he had earned the miko’s trust and had fought along side her as a good guy, until the day he had seemingly betrayed them all, which they now knew was truly a result of Naraku’s trickery. The younger village members who had grown up hearing the tales of the evil hanyou who had betrayed them had since gotten to know the real Inuyasha behind the legend, and knowing that Kagome was Kikyou’s reincarnation, everyone was willing to accept Inuyasha if she was. It wasn’t long before a hut was under construction for them as well.

Back in the future, after Kagome’s graduation, it was finally time to perform the Shinto wedding, for which her grandfather acted as Priest. It was a very small wedding, but a few close friends were invited. It was mildly uncomfortable, but to take care of the issue of his ears, Inuyasha agreed to let Kagome carefully pin them back within his hair so that they were tucked out of sight, and his hair was fluffed up to some extent and pulled forward enough to conceal the fact that he had no human ears resting at the sides of his head. There was really no way to hide his other demonic characteristics, such as his unusual eye coloring and his fangs, but her school friends always seemed to overlook Inuyasha’s unusual appearance. The human mind tended to ignore what it couldn’t understand, she supposed. Until being dragged down into the Bone Eater’s Well on her fifteenth birthday, she wouldn’t have automatically thought ‘youkai’ at the sight of somebody with claws and fangs, either.

Finally a married adult by her time’s standards, Kagome made the official move into her new hut with Inuyasha back in his time, though thanks to the ever present jewel within her body, the well remained open for travel, so they could still return to the future from time to time to visit with her family. Inuyasha was eager to stop using condoms during her fertile time of the month, and it wasn’t long at all before Kagome announced that she was expecting. Afraid to see a modern doctor in case any unusual physical traits showed up on the ultrasound, Kagome was still able to take advantage of modern medicines and knowledge to ensure that hers was the safest, easiest pregnancy the Sengoku jidai had ever seen.

She gave birth to their daughter, Megumi, in late spring. Kagome was touched beyond words when Inuyasha chose the name he did for their first child…blessing. She had raven hair and chocolate eyes, but it was clear the Daiyoukai blood of his father was dominant in many ways, because even though the girl was only one-quarter inu-youkai, she inherited her father’s canine ears, claws and fangs. Only time would tell if she could harness the power of her youki for energy-based attacks like her father. With one adventure having finally come to a close, the adventures of life were just beginning.






~ Fin ~




Converting /tmp/phpbDPEB9 to /dev/stdout