InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Average and The Universal Crackerjack ❯ Chapter seven ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ch. 7
 
 
Kagome's mother rushed through the door leading into the bland office.
 
“Kagome, are you alright, did anything happen?” Mrs. Higurashi searched her daughter and rattled off question after question and hugged her.
 
Kagome sniffled and hugged back just as tight. She'd never been happier to see her mother and promised herself then that she'd never take it for granted again.
 
The officers that were currently grilling Kagome for all the information they could receive realized they should let the two have their privacy and soundlessly walked out the door.
 
“Oh, mom, it was so horrible!” For the first time since the ordeal Kagome let the tears fall, and fall they did soaking her mothers shoulder completely. “I thought I'd never see you again!” Kagome sobbed brokenly on her mothers shoulder.
 
“Where is Sango and Miroku, are they alright too?”
 
“They left a half hour ago, I told them too. The police had gotten all the information they needed and once they were finished with the interrogation they tried to stay with me for comfort.” Kagome gave her mother a watery smile as she remembered the way Sango got in a fight with her over staying, and how she got her to finally leave when she said her mother was going to be asking just as many questions as the police once she arrived.
 
“Let's get you home, Kagome.”
 
Kagome smiled and nodded. When she walked out the police let her know she could leave and proceeded to tell her about the protection program, since somebody could be out searching for her.
 
She felt relieved but not totally the same when she got home at 3 in the morning. Her mother let her know the police would be doing routine check-ups on her for the next couple weeks or so, or however long it took to find out who was behind her attempted murder.
 
 
~<3 ~<3 ~<3 ~<3
 
 
Kagome's mother shook her head wearily and was strangely in denial at Kagome going back to school that Monday morning.
 
“Mom, I'll be fine, don't worry. It was you who told me the police were investigating the school with routine check-ups and interviewing the students who were at that party.” Kagome tried to reassure her mom for the 4th time. The police were probably going to call their house again to see if Kagome had left yet.
 
The press had gotten a hold of the story too and now the Higurashi's had a stampede of local and distant photographers and newscaster's alike hanging outside their door waiting for the lucky girl who got away.
 
Sango and Miroku were informed to leave for school early but still couldn't beat the more demanding press that morning. Sango had called to tell her she'd pick her up but Kagome's mother had insisted she'd take her to school personally for safety reasons and also to make sure Kagome was going to be alright when she dropped her off and picked her up.
 
Taking a deep breath Mrs. Higurashi grabbed her keys and gave Kagome her backpack that she'd hid in the closet.
 
“Alright, I guess you can't avoid them forever.” She sighed. “But just make sure to look out for anything suspicious and-“
 
“I will mom don't worry, now let's go I'm already late.” Kagome walked out the door brushing past the cameras and questions, it's not that she didn't want to answer them but she didn't have the time.
 
Besides she didn't feel like stirring up all the bad memories and talking about it would make the nightmares she had the last two nights worse.
 
~<3 ~<3 ~<3 ~<3
 
 
Kagome walked through the door to her 1st hour and as if it were a scene straight from a movie everyone stopped and looked at her. Well save for the few people who wondered why everyone else had stopped talking.
 
Then like a broken damn, the questions came from just about everyone at once.
 
The teacher broke through the crowd and told the class to sit down, then he would allow questions but only if Kagome felt like talking about it. The class looked at Kagome expectantly, some more anxious than others. One look and Kagome knew she had to share her story sooner or later, might as well be now.
 
It took till the bell rang for all the questions to stop. Kagome started packing up all her stuff to head to her 2nd hour when a guy with jet black hair walked up to her and handed her, her diary.
 
“Here… I think you dropped this?”
 
Kagome studied the pink fuzzy notebook with a tie around it then frowned.
 
“How… how did you get that?” She gave the boy a puzzled look.
 
“I just seen it slide off your desk a moment ago, I was afraid you'd forget it.”
 
“Funny,” Kagome contemplated, “I don't even remember bringing it to school with me.” Kagome shrugged and reached out to grab her diary.
 
Kagome looked up at the boy this time to study his face. “Have I met you before?”
 
The cute boy smiled and Kagome put her head down for fear that she might start blushing.
 
“No, I just moved here, today is my first day in this school.”
 
“Oh, well hope you make lots of friends, I better be going though before I'm late.”
 
“Wait, what's your next class?”
 
“Geometry...”
 
The boy pulled out his brand new schedule and looked down in surprise. “Well what do you know… that's my next class too!”
 
Kagome giggled at the way he seemed so excited at the prospect of being in the same class with her.
 
“Well, I can show you the way if you'd like, I know how confusing this school can be when you're new.”
 
“Great, I'm glad I met you…” He pointed a finger at her and squinted his eyes. “Kagome right?”
 
Kagome nodded affirmatively “Yes. What's your name?”
 
“Ryo.”
 
Kagome giggled and tried not to blush when he walked with her down the hallway. She noticed she wasn't the only one who thought this new guy was adorable. The girls were checking him out like fresh meat, and all the guys were looking to size him up.
 
“Kagome… I was hoping I'd find you before Geometry.” Sango caught up with them in the crowded hallway. Looking over she noticed the tall muscular new kid with jet black hair and very vibrant blue eyes. “Umm… who's your new friend?” Sango seemed to be sizing him up like everyone else in their school.
 
“Oh…” Kagome slapped her forehead with her free hand. “Sango this is-“
 
“-Sango” Ryo interrupted brashly and stuck out his hand. “Nice too meet you, I'm Ryo.”
 
Sango studied him and was kind of taken aback by his intimidating presence and strong personality. Kagome felt herself getting strangely jealous over the intense way Ryo was looking at Sango, and then felt ashamed for having thoughts like that.
 
Sango smiled. “So, it was nice to meet you Ryo, but I have to get to class before I'm late. Bye Kagome I guess I'll talk to you at lunch,” She shrugged, “see you then.” With that Sango waved and headed past them to her next hour.
 
Ryo watched her retreating until she turned the corner.
 
Kagome watched him watching Sango and felt that spark in her flare to life again. `What is the matter with me, I've just met this guy a minute ago and I'm getting jealous over him.'
 
Ryo turned to her finally and chirped like nothing had happened. “Well guess we`d better get to class before we're late.”
 
“Yeah…” Kagome sighed.
 
~<3 ~<3 ~<3 ~<3
 
It turned out not only did Ryo have Geometry with Kagome, but every other class as well.
 
“Wow, I'm pooped, good thing we're going home after this.” Kagome gave Ryo an exhausted smile.
 
“Yeah, I agree it's been one hell of a day!” Kagome wondered why Ryo could claim he was just as tired as she was when she hadn't seen him do anything in any of his classes. He always had the worksheet out in front of him, but the only thing he ever did with it was draw gruesome and perverted things, making Kagome cringe. At one point he drew a picture of a couple having sex and told her it was him and his ex girlfriend.
 
Briiiing
 
“Finally,” Kagome mumbled and jumped up with her stuff in her hands.
 
“Hey Kagome wait up!” Ryo caught her at the door. “Will you do me a favor?” Kagome was tempted to say `nope' but she didn't have it in her. Blaming the softie in her she grudgingly agreed.
 
“Perfect. I just need you to help me carry this out to my car.” Ryo handed her a bunch of supplies he'd just randomly stolen from classes throughout the day.
 
“You have a car?”
 
“Yup,” Ryo nodded.
 
“Uh… did the teachers give you permission to take their stuff home with you?” Kagome asked skeptically, between this guy and all the questions she'd had to deal with, today had been horrible.
 
“Of course, teachers love me!”
 
Kagome could have swore she heard him chuckle after that comment.
 
They walked down the hallway and out the double doors, the whole time getting weird looks from teachers and students over the stack of supplies loaded in Kagome's arms.
 
They finally made it outside as Ryo pointed off to the side of the school building.
 
“My car's this way-“ Ryo didn't pay Kagome any attention as he walked ahead of her leading the way.
 
“Why did you park all the way over there?”
 
Ryo thought about that for a second. “Because I felt like it, that's why.”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes, with every second that passed the guy got more and more obnoxious.
 
Ryo opened the door to his car and lifted up the backseat.
 
“Wow, this is your car?” Kagome squealed practically drooling over the red Porsche.
 
“Yup,” Ryo ignored her enthusiasm, “now just put all the stuff in the back.”
 
Ryo looked over to see a cop car drive by slowly around the premises.
 
“O-k” Kagome went to reach in but Ryo grabbed her arm and yanked her back causing her to stumble backward a little.
 
“Hey, stop being so pushy!” She snapped.
 
Ryo darted glances from Kagome to the police car a couple times. “You know what, since I'm new in town why don't you show me some great places to eat out.” He insisted quickly, completely ignoring her attitude.
 
Kagome bit her lip. “I would but my mom is already waiting for me since she picks me up from school.” She hesitated when she realized he was taping his foot on the ground and looking like he was in a hurry. “I could show you around tomorrow though.” Kagome suggested.
 
“Fantastic!” Ryo said, but it sounded rather sarcastic to Kagome as he was about to get into his car.
 
“Wait, where do you want me to put all these supplies?”
 
Ryo reached into the car and popped the trunk. “Put'em in there.” He pointed then got into his Porsche.
 
 
~<3 ~<3 ~<3 ~<3
 
 
“How was school?” Mrs. Higurashi asked as Kagome sat down in the passenger seat.
 
“Fine”
 
“Was it hectic?”
 
“Yeah”
 
“Did the cops check up on you?”
 
“Yeah”
 
“Did you get asked a lot of questions; was everybody curious about what happened?”
 
Kagome turned her head to get a better look at her mother and almost snarled.
 
“Don't you think I've been asked enough questions today to last me a lifetime. Do you really think I need to be asked anymore questions?”
 
Mrs. Higurashi smiled sheepishly, “Sorry dear, just curious.”
 
Kagome sighed, “You and everybody else in this country.”
 
“Tell you what why don't we go out to eat, just the two of us.” Mrs. Higurashi said trying to cheer her daughter up.
 
Kagome leaned back in the seat and closed her eyes. “Sure.”
 
“Great I know this prefect place right outside of town.”