InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The City by the Bay ❯ A Need For A Place To Call My Own ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and friends were created and lovingly brought to life by Rumiko Takahashi.

Author's Note: An AU fic set in San Francisco, CA. '__' is a thought expression. I am not sure why, but this chapter is flowing much easier out of me than the next chapter of "A Demon..." Hopefully, I'll get the next chapter of that fic out soon. Thanks for your support!

"Arrival in San Francisco is an experience in living..." - William Saroyan

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The City by the Bay

By Ericedwyn

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter One: A Need For A Place To Call My Own

~* Financial District *~

A young man gazed out of the window from the top floor of a San Francisco high rise right smacked in the middle of the financial district. The sun has just peaked out from its hiding place behind the clouds. It was early afternoon, just after the lunch hour rush, yet from his vantage he could still see a lot of movement on the streets below him. They looked like little dots moving this way and that, some daringly walking across the busy street below causing yellow cabs and delivery trucks to halt hastily to avoid hitting them.

The young man's long mane, nearly past his waist, glittered from the rays of the sunlight that filtered through the thick glass. The color of it, silver-white, was quite unusual for someone who has yet to celebrate his 29 years, but it lent him quite an ethereal and untouchable air. His cold golden eyes and unsmiling face also kept others at arm's length, and he preferred it that way. He coveted his personal space and privacy the most.

Envy followed him everywhere he went, not just because of his handsome features, more than some would even say beautiful. The envy even falls to his naturally long, dark eyelashes that some women, and even some men, would kill for.

He stood over six-feet tall, 6'4" to be exact, broad-shouldered, narrow-waisted, although slightly slender for his tall frame. He walked with generations of "old money" air around him with perfectly graceful and balanced movements, methodically and silent, like a panther quietly stalking his prey. That's how he conducted business too, and many companies have crumbled beneath his feet so fast, no one saw him coming.

That's one of the reasons why he was in The City by the Bay. He has just bought out a telecommunications company that occupied the top 7 floors of the building he happens to be looking out of at the moment, a few days before. Most of the employees have been let go and given generous packages, but some he is keeping on for their usefulness. One such lucky employee, Jaken Hishimoro, is currently negotiating the sale of the entire building for his new employer, Sesshoumaru Takara of the highly successful Japan-based conglomerate, Sestaka Enterprises.

The phone slung from his hip chirped, and with a brief flash of movement, it was flipped open and held against his face. "Takara."

"Takara-sama, it's Jaken Hishimoro. I've just received the response from the building management regarding your counter offer, Sir." A hesitant raspy voice emitted from the receiver.

"And?" Sesshoumaru asked impatiently.

"The building is now yours, Sir."

"Very good. Get all the documents and bring them to Miroku Kenshou. He's somewhere on the 42nd floor."

"Yes, Sir. Thank you, Sir, an…" The voice on the other end continued but was cut off when Sesshoumaru pressed down on the off button.

'That guy talks too much.' The young man thought before sliding his phone back against his hip. He took out his palm pilot from the inside pocket of his suit jacket and looked over his to-do list. He crossed out the item regarding the sale of the building. He looked at item number three and changed the priority level to one. 'Now, to get a place.'

He reached for the phone again and speed dialed his VP of operations in the states.

"Miroku here. Talk to me."

Sesshoumaru grimaced at the cheerfulness of his VP's greeting. It was as cheerful as his own was humorless. "It's me. Jaken is bringing you the documents regarding the sale of the building."

"I guess it's yours now, eh? Congratulations, Sess-man! We should celebrate! Drinks on you?" Miroku chuckled rather too loudly for his ear that he had to hold his cell phone a little away from it.

Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes. "Yeah, whatever. This time, we're going to a classy place."

"You need to live on the edge, Sess-man! So what's next on your agenda?"

"I need to find a place, preferably in San Francisco."

"Ah… The City by the Bay played with your heartstrings and you responded. Any area in particular?"

"How should I know? You're the one who lives here in this city, and country, for that matter. Why do you think I'm asking you?" Sesshoumaru drawled.

"Testy, are we? Haven't had your third Venti coffee for the day?" Miroku asked, briefly touching on the subject of his superior's strange addiction to a certain Starbucks' brew.

"Hn." Sesshoumaru could easily imagine the smirk forming on Miroku's face and smiled slightly. Of the hundreds of thousands of people who work for him, Miroku and his half-brother, Inuyasha, are just about the only ones who didn't fear him. He thought about Inuyasha, his VP of operations in Japan, and decides to check up on the other take-over they are working on at home. He briefly glanced at his watch and calculated the time in Japan in his head. '6:00 a.m., I suppose I should give him a few more hours before I call.'

He switched his attention back to Miroku. "Can you take me apartment hunting?"

"Sure thing! Beats working any day! Or rather, pretending to work." He laughed.

"I should fire you for that." Sesshoumaru said flatly, but he knew Miroku is the best at what he does. The young man, just slightly older than him by a couple of months, is a genius in business; although, he couldn't say the same about the guy's personal life. He's some kind of freaky in that direction. Sesshoumaru is surprised no one has sent him any sexual harassment grievances yet since Miroku started working for him 5 years ago.

"Yeah, but you won't." Miroku responded with utmost confidence in himself.

Sesshoumaru didn't argue. Miroku was dead on. "So, we'll talk about what I want in a place tonight. How about that Carnelian Room I heard about on the radio yesterday for dinner?"

"Sounds good. How about coming down to the 42nd floor? We can go to Starbucks and get you your caramel macchiato fix." Miroku laughed before hanging up.

~*~*~*~

~* At the Carnelian Room *~

"Hey, Sess-man, a group of women from a table at my 3 o'clock is checking us out!" Miroku whispered conspiratorially from behind the cover of his menu across the table.

"I believe they are staring at me." Sesshoumaru said idly, not looking up from the menu he held in his hands.

Miroku's face fell. "You didn't have to say that..." He swept his hand through his short dark hair, carelessly loosening some strands out of the secure hold of the small ponytail at the nape of his neck. "I don't think I want to be seen with you anymore. They'll all just gawk at you." The young man sniffed as he reached out behind him to remove his hair tie.

Sesshoumaru closed his menu with a snap and laid it on the table.

Miroku pouted at Sesshoumaru for a few seconds, but soon his pout turned into a wide smile. His smile then turned into a crooked grin when Sesshoumaru arched an eyebrow at him.

"What now?" His silver-haired boss inquired.

"I just thought of something. If all these women flock to you, I can get some overflow. I'm happy again."

"You just tell yourself that." Sesshoumaru said blandly as he rolled his eyes. He brought his wine glass to his lips and took a sip of his chardonnay.

"Where's your sense of humor, Mr. Type A? You shouldn't be so serious. Don't you know that people like you are dying younger these days?"

"Why, I didn't know you cared about my well-being? I'm touched." Sesshoumaru smirked, taking another sip of his wine.

"You're too tense. How long has it been since you got laid?" Miroku grinned.

"How long has it been for you?" Sesshoumaru shot back dryly.

After a moment, Miroku chuckled. "Okay… so we're both really pathetic!"

"Speak for yourself. I have higher tastes. You, on the other hand, chase just about anyone in a skirt." Sesshoumaru smirked.

"No… only the ones originally born with two X chromosomes."

Both men laughed as they each recalled an occasion one summer night, two years ago in San Francisco, when Miroku incognizantly picked up a cross-dresser in a bar.

"And, for your information, I chase pants wearing ones too." Miroku added and he smiled smugly at Sesshoumaru for having made him laugh again. "Heard from Inu yet?" Miroku changed the subject to something more neutral.

"Yes." Sesshoumaru placed his wine glass back on the table when the waiter approached them for their order.

After the waiter left with their order, Sesshoumaru spoke again. "Inuyasha is not having as much luck with the deal over there. The owner won't sell even though his business is sinking. If Seto-san keeps it up, he won't make any profit at all when he eventually sells. He has no choice, unless he wants to sink with his ship."

"It's Seto's loss if he doesn't sell. Have you thought about the kind of place you want yet?"

"I do want to stay in San Francisco, but I don't want any of those apartments or lofts that I've seen near businesses, that you favor. I'd prefer it in a residential area."

"I have to be where the action is, Sess-man!" Miroku looked thoughtful as he chewed on that bit of information his boss supplied. "I'd tell you to buy a house here, but even though it's a great investment, some of the smaller homes are going for nearly 2 million dollars these days. I'd rather buy a huge, new house in Sacramento for $350K."

"I only need a place for a short while, maybe for about a year, similar in kind but not quite like the corporate apartments we lease in Beverly Hills when we need to be there. This city is nice and I want to take in the charms, but I plan to spend most of my time in Tokyo."

"Understood. Knowing you, you'd want something spacious, at least two bedrooms, two baths, and somewhere located in a quiet neighborhood."

"Ah, you know me so well! That's why I pay you the big bucks!" Sesshoumaru said wryly.

"I think I'm due for a raise, don't you think?" Miroku feigned mock surrender when Sesshoumaru flicked a crumb of bread off the table at him. "Okay… Geez! I get the hint. I'll settle for a new Bimmer (BMW) convertible."

"I do pay you enough that you can buy your own car, you know."

"Yeah, but it's much more fun to spend yours." Miroku grinned.

"That part's obvious from your last expense report. At this rate, you'll owe me money." His silver-haired companion retorted.

"All business related." Miroku guaranteed with a look of innocence.

"Yeah… I'll bet."

Miroku only smiled wider at his boss.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

To be continued

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Response to the Reviews:

Thank you so much, Nankinmai, Kokonutsu, Anne-twilight, Me.., Reality, Soudesuka-Shurikens, MysticMoon, Kawaiikitsune, and JoJo. Next time I start a new fic, I'll be sure to write a longer and more descriptive prologue. My main objective with the prologue was to set up the house.

San Francisco homes are normally not that big. I drew the floor plans of this house and dimension is 20 feet by about 35 feet for each level. Most houses in S.F. are not wide at all (averaging 15 feet) but usually long.

Kokonutsu, thank you for letting me know about the grammar mistake. I'm going to upload a revision with the correction. Hope you enjoyed chapter 1. Take care and thank you for reviewing! I truly appreciated it.

Huggles,

Ericedwyn