InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The City by the Bay ❯ Friends and Lovers ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and friends were created and lovingly brought to life by Rumiko Takahashi. Also, I made up Tsumi, Trevor, "Tako, not Taco" and the "Dare to Fight Charity Dinner" and any resemblance is entirely coincidental. I also named some of the nameless characters in Inuyasha.

Author's Note and Character Briefs:

Firstly, thank you for all your reviews! I truly appreciate them!

This is a Sesshoumaru and Kagome romance with a lot of secondary pairings. I fixed the summary in ff.net because it got cut off. I updated the description of the apartment unit in the prologue as I updated the floor plans of the house. I have scanned the floor plans I created and will post them on my website soon.

Since this is an alternate universe story, I would like to provide a little background on some of the characters. While I try to stick to Rumiko Takahashi's story and keep everyone IC as best I can in "A Demon Should Act Like A Demon," I'm allowing myself to play a little with the characters and the storyline here. I might exaggerate some personalities or characteristics or even situations. I might also change some things around to suit the time and atmosphere of the story set in such an eclectic place as San Francisco-that may include age and how people are related. But I will keep the essence of the characters we have come to know and love. I will also use many secondary characters from Inuyasha as well.

On that note… here's a brief on the characters you've met so far and some you are about to meet: :)

Kagome's Family and Friends

Kagome Higurashi (26 years old): Former founder and Chief Information Officer (CIO) of a dot.com company. Naraku Akuma bought her company and she stayed on as the CIO, but things happened to be explained later that made her quit. She cannot work as a CIO or in her field because of a contract she had signed that went on effect when she left the company-more on that later. Her circle of best friends since school in Tokyo consists of Sango, Hojo, Nobunaga, and Jakotsu.

Jeiji Higurashi (67 years old): Kagome's Grandfather and the resident Kannushi (Priest) of the 1000 year old Sakura Temple Compound.

Aiko Higurashi (45 years old): Kagome's very supportive mother. She works full time as a teacher in an elementary school.

Souta Higurashi (17 years old): Kagome's little brother. He is completing his last year of high school and is contemplating college.

Kaede Higurashi Sonzoku (67 years old): Kagome's Grand-aunt and Jeiji's twin sister. She is the resident Miko (Priestess) of the Sakura Temple.

Kikyou Sonzoku (28 years old): Kagome's cousin and the Miko apprentice of the Sakura Temple. Her father married into the Higurashi family and made the Sakura Temple Compound their home too. Her parents along with Kagome's Dad, died in an accident when Shippou was only 2 years old.

Shippou Sonzoku (15 years old): Kagome's cousin and Kikyou's little brother. He is getting ready for the high school entrance exam at Sakura Middle School in Tokyo.

Myouga Miyagi (67 years old): He was one of the founders and CEO of Kagome's business before they sold the company to Naraku. His circle of friends consists of Jeiji, Kaede, Toutousai, and Tsumi. He was a Mentor to Jak and Kagome, and opened his home to them when they first moved to San Francisco. He is connected to many characters in this story and more will be revealed about him as the story progresses.

Sango Yamamori (recently turned 27): One of Kagome's circle of best friends since school in Tokyo, and is the "Big Sister" of the group. She came to the U.S. with her family before middle school ended. She met up with Kagome and the rest of the circle when they all moved to San Francisco. She is finishing her masters in psychology-more on her specialty later. I want to surprise you. She also works for her father's dojo full-time.

Meiyo Yamamori (47 years old): Sango's father. He moved his family to San Francisco from Japan to start a new life when his wife died from an illness. He opened a Karate school where Sango and Kohaku teaches. He owns the building and his family lives on the second floor. He rents out apartments on the 3rd and 4th floor of his building.

Kohaku Yamamori (17 years old): Sango's younger brother. He works for his dad part-time as a Karate instructor.

Kirara - She's the Yamamori pet cat. Sometimes Kagome cat-sits her.

Hojo Mirawase (27 years old): Hojo became one of Kagome's best friends during elementary school in Tokyo. He's very smart and shy, and has had a crush on Kagome for years! The rest of the best friends know except for Kagome (who is oblivious, or is she?). He works as a research scientist for a pharmaceutical company in Berkeley, CA.

Nobunaga Takeda (26 years old): Nobu-kun became one of Kagome's best friends during elementary school in Tokyo. He is the baby of the circle of best friends, and forever fussed over by each of them. He is a fireman in Sausalito, CA. (The firemen who work there are cute, I swear! Not that I stalk them or anything.). Since firemen only work 9 days a month, he helps in his family's Japanese restaurant, "Tako, not Taco!". I like the name, don't you? ::giggles::

Jakotsu Shichinin (recently turned 27): Jak is Kagome's first best and closest friend from Japan-more about their relationship later. Kagome currently works for his consulting business. He leads a double life.

Suikotsu Shichinin (32 years old): One of Jak's older brothers living in San Francisco. He is a pediatrician at a general hospital.

Bankotsu Shichinin (29 years old): Another one of Jak's brothers living in San Francisco. He works as a fireman with Nobunaga. He works for Jak during down time at the firehouse as a business consultant and VP of operations. ((The last of the three Shichinin-Tai chars I will use… the rest may be mentioned but will not be featured in the story.))

Trevor Dane (29 years old): Jak's Caucasian boyfriend.

Kouga Ookami (27 years old): Kagome's co-worker and Jak's employee. He has the hots for Kagome.

Sesshoumaru's Family and Friends

Sesshoumaru Takara (28 years old, about to turn 29): He's such a hottie! ::drools:: Oh yeah… back to the brief. Sorry about that. ^_~' He is the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and owner of Sestaka Enterprises, a conglomerate. His mother died at age 2, and his father and step-mother died 10 years ago. He has had to take care of his half-brother and half-sister, Inuyasha and Rin, respectively (with Aunt Tsumi's help), and his father's business since then. When he was older and more knowledgeable, he sold his father's business to start his own. His line of business is the take over and buying out of businesses to make his conglomerate bigger and better. His rival is Naraku Akuma who is doing the same.

Inuyasha Takara (27 years old): Sesshoumaru's half-brother. He is Sesshoumaru's VP of operations in Asia. When it comes to taking over businesses, he's not that bad. Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha did not get along as children until Inuyasha's parents died. Together they raise Rin, for good or bad. ;D

Rin Takara (15 years old): Sister to Inuyasha and Half-sis to Sesshoumaru. She's currently in the process of studying for the high school entrance exam at Sakura Middle School in Tokyo. She was the only survivor of the car crash that killed her parents that one fateful day-more on that later.

Tsumi Takara (67 years old): Sesshoumaru and his sibs' spinster Grand-aunt who lives with them. She is part of Myouga's circle of friends.

Toutousai Katana (68 years old): A good friend of Sesshoumaru's grandfather and father, and part of Myouga's circle of friends. He's been trying to win Tsumi's hand for nearly 50 years, but she is always refusing him. He won't give up though.

Miroku Kenshou (29 years old): Miroku is Sesshoumaru's VP of operations in the United States. He helps Sess take over companies. He also loves women of all kinds. He is a little (for some of you, a lot) perverted.

Jaken Hishimoro (late 30s): Sesshoumaru's new bumbling employee.

The Main Bad Guy

Naraku Akuma (30 years old): The bad guy. The other purpose of his life besides taking over and buying out businesses is to make other lives miserable. More about that as the story progresses. I don't want to give you too much information. ;D

As the story progresses, I will provide briefs on other characters I will use. Hope this helps!

Now on with the chapter! _^,,^_

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"I've labored long and hard for bread,

For honor and for riches,

But on my corns too long you've tread,

You fair-haired sons of bitches."

- Black Bart, notorious SF bandit of the 1870's, left this poem in a strongbox after he had robbed it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The City by the Bay

By Ericedwyn

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter Two: Friends and Lovers

~* Presidio Heights, Kagome's house *~

"I'm done, Kagome-chan." Jakotsu Shichinin said with satisfaction as he clicked on the save button before sending the completed document to the printer.

Kagome glanced up from her e-mail to look at her friend. Jakotsu sat with a huge smile on his face as he waited for his printouts. His raven-black hair was swept away from his face to a bun giving her a good view of his enviable, unblemished face. The smile he wore made him look a decade younger than his 27 years, and no matter how naughty her friend gets, he always managed to look innocent when he smiled. "How much do I owe the IRS this year, Jak?" She asked matter-of-factly.

Jak rested his light brown eyes on his bestfriend. He just cannot believe how many years have gone by… over 22 years. His friend wore her long dark hair in two pigtails, in the same way she did when they first met in daycare at age four.

The young, androgynous man studied her heart-shaped face and the ruby lips set in its usual upturned smile. Her dark, blue eyes have always fascinated him, a genetic gift from her gaijin maternal grandmother, as was her well-endowed chest. Those eyes always reflected whatever his friend felt.

His gaze drifted to Kagome's widow's peak and smiled. 'That's her best feature. I'm glad Sango and I were able to talk her out of hiding it behind bangs.' Jakotsu recalled Kagome with bangs in middle school in Japan and shivered.

Kagome ignored her friend's stare. She grew quite used to them over the years. She waved her hand in front of his face to get his attention. "Jak… how much do I owe this time?"

Jak snapped out of his musings and gave his friend a wide grin. "Nothing! They owe you, Hon."

"Really?" Kagome's eyes grew wide in surprised.

"Truly! Two-hundred-thirteen dollars in Federal and $43 in State."

"Wow! I haven't had a refund in ages!" Kagome exclaimed before giggling. "Are you sure?"

Jak cocked his head to one side and raised an eyebrow. "Excuse me?!? Do you doubt my accounting skills? I had a better grade than you at Stanford, or have you forgotten in your old age?" Jak asked wryly.

Kagome grinned and stuck out her tongue at her friend. "Just checking, I wouldn't want to be audited. I just can't believe I have a refund."

Jak chuckled as he pulled the sheets from the printer. "I think it's because of the extra payments you made towards your house, Hon." He reached out for the stapler. "I'll send them electronically for you tonight."

"Thanks, Jak." Kagome leaned towards him for a side hug. "For always taking care of me." She laid her cheek on his shoulder.

"Kagome, Hon… You took care of me first. If it weren't for you…" Jak's voice faltered. He thought about his estranged father who had physically and emotionally abused his mother, his older brothers, and him. If it wasn't for Kagome, who was the only one who befriended him in daycare, no one would have known his family's secret. Kagome saw all the bruises, sprains, and broken bones and she had told her mom. Her family, with the help of Myouga Miyaga, was able to get them away from his abusive father and helped paved a new life for them. His mother's only regret was not being able to take her four stepsons with them.

Kagome sensed the sudden shift in the atmosphere and scooted closer to give Jak a full hug. "We take care of each other, Jak."

Jak smiled and placed a kiss on top of her head. "That we do," he said as he hugged her back. "I do need to talk to you about some things though."

Kagome lifted her head from his shoulder. "What things?"

"Your house, for one thing… Are you sure you want to do this? Maybe you should just take the hit and liquidate some of your assets and investments. I mean, you are going to open your home to strangers, Kagome-chan. I don't feel good about that."

Kagome sighed. "I really thought hard about this, Jak. I don't really want to touch those investments as they are as much for my family as for my own needs. Soon Okaasan won't have to work at all anymore and live in leisure. She worked so many jobs when Otousan died to support us. Ojiisan and Obaasan can retire and travel the world with their friends and Kikyou can finally take over the Shrine. There'll be enough money for school for Souta and Shippou too. I just can't touch that money, Jak."

Jak placed his palm on the side of Kagome's face. "You're really something, Kagome-chan."

"Not really, Jak. They just deserve more, and I can do this for them. Besides, that contract I signed will be null and void in 8 months. I will be able to accept any of the offers I received and work as a CIO again…" Kagome placed her hand over his and smiled. "Not that working for you isn't a blast or anything. You're a great boss and all."

"I know. I'm the ultimate boss!" Jak snapped his fingers in the air. "Seriously, though, have you received any offers for the unit yet?"

"Yes, four, but I'm waiting until the end of the week to choose." Kagome said quietly.

"How much is your asking price, if I may ask?" Her friend queried.

"$2700 per month with cable and all utilities included."

"That's it?!?" Jak looked at her aghast.

"What do you mean "that's it"? That's a lot." Kagome responded.

"Have you not learned anything from Uncle Myouga at all? Have you no respect for his former home?" Jak asked incredulously.

"Jak… what are you taking about…?" Kagome faced him with confusion written all over her face.

"I'm talking about the value of this house and where it is seated! I didn't know your accounting skills were that bad."

"Hey! Take that back! I passed it with a B+!" Kagome poked Jak in the middle of his chest.

"Kagome… this house has been in his family for over a hundred years. He sold it to you, and only you, because you're Jeiji and Kaede's grandchild and he considers you like family. He believed that you would take good care of it."

"And what does that have anything to do with the rent amount?" Kagome asked, still unsure about where Jak was going with the conversation.

Jak sighed and placed his hands squarely on her shoulders. "For this beautiful home and its location, renting it out for less than $3500.00 is a crime."

"That much?" Kagome's asked in awe.

Jak reached out and pulled one of Kagome's pigtails. "And that's why you can never be a CFO (Chief Financial Officer)!"

Kagome yelped and retaliated by pulling his hair loose from its tiny bun on the back of his head.

"Hey!" Jak reached back to close his hand around his shoulder-length tresses.

"You started it first, Buddy!" Kagome smirked, but softened her expression as she watched him put his hair back into a neat bun. "It seems a lot, Jak. Who's going to want to rent it?"

"Your list will probably become smaller, but you'll be picking from a list of people who can appreciate and afford the place, Kagome-chan." Jak tried to explain. "By the way… why $2700.00?"

"It's the amount of my mortgage payment." Kagome responded matter-of-factly.

"Wow, that's it?"

Kagome smiled at her friend's surprised tone. "Yeah. I've paid off most of the loan last year. I only have a little over half a mil to pay."

"That's really great, Kagome-chan. That must have been a big sacrifice on your part. My mortgage loan is still over a million and there are three of us paying it. Are you really sure about this?"

The young woman smiled hugely. "I know it's going to be okay, Jak. It always works out in the end."

"I'm glad you're being very optimistic about this. Maybe I should move in with you again and be your bodyguard while you have tenants." Jak frowned.

Kagome chuckled. "And waste my black belt? Uncle Meiyo will have a cow. Don't worry, Jak. I'll be okay."

"We'll see…" Jak narrowed his eyes.

"So what else did you want to talk to me about?" Kagome asked, steering the conversation away from her home.

"My brothers and you…"

"I wished I didn't ask." Kagome groaned and leaned back against her chair, closing her eyes.

"Kagome, this is serious. Bankotsu is still in love with you and I know he wants you back. I also heard Suikotsu tell Okaasan on the phone yesterday that he thinks he's found Miss Right."

Kagome covered her face with her small hands and groaned louder. 'This is not good…'

"Kagome, I love Sui dearly. He is a wonderful big brother, but I just cannot see you two together. You and Ban, on the other hand, are soulmates. You are clearly made for each other. Please end it with Sui before it's too late, and go back to my other big brother. Onegai???"

Kagome opened her eyes and gazed straight into Jak's. "I'll talk to Sui. I never meant for him to fall for me. He and I are… It was a moment of weakness on my part and I will talk to him soon. As for Ban…" Kagome paused as she reached out to grab one of Jak's hands. "Ban will always have a piece of my heart, but I can't give him what he wants."

"Can't or won't?" Jak asked quietly.

Kagome dropped her gaze to her lap. "Isn't it the same thing…?"

"Kagome-chan, you won't end up hurt like your mother. This is a totally different situation."

"Jak, she still cries for my Dad after all these years. I don't want to open myself up for that kind of pain." Kagome responded closing her eyes.

Jak watched her friend as minutes passed in silence. "Are you still coming over to the house for dinner? Ban is taking Nobu's shift and won't be home tonight. No awkward moments…"

Kagome glanced up and smiled slightly. "Of course. I wouldn't miss your "once in a blue moon" dinners and another one of Sango's interesting movies."

~*~*~*~

~* Presidio Heights, The Shichinin Brothers' house*~

"Jak, I'm afraid I'm going to be late for dinner. One of my patients had a relapse and I'm on my way back to the hospital."

"Okay, Oniisan! Hopefully your patient will pull through. I'll ask Kagome to put aside a slice of her yummy cheesecake for you." Jak said cheerfully to the receiver.

"She's there already? I'll try to get home as soon as I can. Please tell her "hi" for me. Ja mata."

Jak heard the click that ended the call and placed the phone back on its cradle as he shook his head slightly. "Kagome-chan… Sui said "hi. He'll be late for dinner. He's on his way back to the hospital to check on one of his patients."

"Okay." Kagome said as she stirred the simmering cherry sauce she was making with a wooden spoon.

The door bell chimed. "I'll get it." Jak said as walked out of the kitchen, past the dining room and the living room, to the front door. A smile crept up to his lips after peeking through the peep hole. He opened the door but blocked the way in. "You can't enter until you pay toll." He said coyly.

"Oh?" The young man on the other side of the threshold asked. Blond tresses fell over his green eyes and he swept his fingers through them to get them off his face. "Is that so…" He said huskily before walking forward and taking Jak's lips captive with his.

"Aww, geez. Get a room, you two." A young woman with long, dark brown hair past her waist stood behind the blond young man, a few feet away, with her hands on her hips. Behind her stood two young Japanese men, one wearing a grin and the other, a serious expression.

"You're just jealous because you're lips haven't seen any action lately, Sango-chan." Jak grinned as he pulled his chuckling boyfriend, Trevor, inside the house.

Sango Yamamori made a face. "It's a little hard finding a straight man in The City, you know." She said sarcastically, but smiled as Jak swept her into a "sisterly" hug. "Is Kagome-chan here? I don't see her car."

"She's in the kitchen." Jak said as Sango passed him. He heard Trevor say "hey!" and turned just in time to espy Sango giving Trevor a playful pinch on his cheek in greeting before she made her way to the kitchen.

"I haven't seen you in weeks, Nobu-kun! I'm so glad you can make it!"

"It's all thanks to Ban! I owe him one." Nobunaga Takeda said as he gave his best friend a hug. "Something smells really yummy. Can we eat now?" The young man asked as he entered the threshold. He greeted Trevor with a firm handshake before following his nose to the kitchen to see if he could dip his finger into an unsuspecting dish.

"Soon, Nobu-kun. Now that you're here." Jak shook his head at his constantly hungry friend before opening his arms to Hojo. "Come on… gimme a hug, you big lug!" Jak giggled as Hojo's face turned beet red.

Hojo Mirawase relunctanctly stepped forward into the hug, still blushing, then shook Trevor's hand, keeping his backside away from the latter's happy fingers. "Um, hi, Trevor."

The blond man grinned at the tall, lanky young scientist. "Hi yourself, Hojo." He chuckled when Hojo backed out of the living room into the dining room.

"He's never ever going to forget it, Trev." Jak laughed. "He'll always think you've got the hots for him."

"It was just a joke." Trevor drawled.

"Come on, Love." Jak wrapped an arm around his boyfriend's shoulders. "Let's go eat."

~*~*~*~

Slap!

Nobunaga rubbed his hand. "Nani?!" He looked at Kagome with a hurt expression.

"Nobu-kun, you've had three slices! Please be good to your poor stomach. Besides, these are for Sui and Ban." Kagome reprimanded as she sealed the Tupperware with the cheesecake slices.

"But I'm a growing boy!" Nobu whined.

"You're 26 years old, Nobu-kun! The only way you're growing is here!" Sango chirped in patting Nobu's stomach.

"But it's flat, see?" Nobu raised the dark blue T-shirt that hugged his torso to show off his 6-pack abs.

"Not for long if you continue down the path to gluttony." Hojo murmured as he brought in a stack of plates to the sink.

"Why don't you relax in the living room with Trev, Nobu-kun? We're almost done here. I'll bring a nice big bowl of buttery popcorn just for you." Jak pacified.

Nobunaga pouted as he walked to the refrigerator. He opened the door and grabbed a can of soda before walking out of the kitchen, muttering about the injustice of it all.

The rest of the circle cleared the table, loaded the dishwasher, and prepared the movie treats before retiring to the living room. Sango fished two DVD cases from her bag as the rest settled down on two leather sofas.

"What do you have for us today, Sango?" Trev asked as he scooted closer to Jak.

"I have two movies. One is an Anime movie that my brother borrowed. It's about a girl who fell down a well and ended up 500 years in the past in Feudal Japan. Then she meets this half-dog, half-human teenage boy and together they save the world from this really bad demon from China." Sango flips the case of one DVD. "This one has Jet Li and Aaliyah… kind of like a Romeo and Juliet story."

"Can we watch the Jet Li/Aaliyah movie? The Anime one seems so farfetched." Kagome said while grabbing a handful of popcorn from the nearest bowl.

"I agree. Can't those authors come up with more realistic plots?" Hojo made himself more comfortable next to Kagome.

Sango placed the second DVD in the machine, pressed play, and sat next to Jak and Trev on the other sofa.

Halfway through the movie, Suikotsu Shichinin walked into the living room from the hidden stairway and said "hello." His gaze lingered on Kagome for a few seconds before making his way to the kitchen.

Jak caught Kagome's eye and gestured for her to follow him so that she can talk to him about their relationship. Kagome sighed inwardly and followed her bestfriend's brother to the kitchen. She found him enjoying a slice of cheesecake while heating a place of food in the microwave.

She walked to the refrigerator and opened the door. "What would you like to drink, Sui?" She asked with a smile.

The young man smiled when he heard her voice. "A can of green tea if we still have some left would be nice, Kagome. Arigato." He opened the door of the microwave to retrieve his dinner after it beeped. "That was a really good cheesecake, Kagome." He said as he walked to the dining room.

"Arigato, Sui." Kagome smiled as she followed him. She settled on a chair nearby and placed his can of green tea on the table in front of him. "How was your day?"

"Busy as always, but no casualties, thank goodness. How was yours?" Sui asked before taking a bite of his pasta dish.

"Good. Jak and I spent the day together. He did my taxes and I'm actually getting a refund this year." Kagome grinned.

Sui nodded as he took another bite.

Kagome tried to formulate the words she wanted to convey, but found herself unable to tell Sui that she wants to just stay friends. Instead, she kept their conversation light. In the end, she found herself in his bedroom… in his arms.

~*~*~*~

~* The Shichinin Brothers' house, just after midnight *~

Kagome ran up the stairs from the lower level of the house, where Sui's bedroom was located, onto the first floor, while shrugging into her shirt.

"Kagome, wait!" Sui called out from behind her.

Kagome stopped in the middle of the hallway that separated the Shichinin home office and Jak's room, but did not turn around. She lowered her head. Her face wet with tears. "Gomen ne, Sui. I didn't mean to call out your brother's name. I'm so ashamed." She said a little agitatedly.

The half-clad Sui wrapped his arms around her from behind. "I know you didn't mean it, Kagome." He said softly, laying his cheek on the top of her head. "I'd like to take it as a compliment if I had been that good." He paused for a few minutes as he gazed down at her. "Let's go back to bed, Kagome." He murmured softly. "Onegai?"

Kagome didn't look up, but nodded in response. Together they took to the stairs.

Unbeknownst to the couple, however, a young man, working in the home office, heard the entire conversation. He smiled in the dim room.

~*~*~*~

~* The Shichinin Brothers' house, morning *~

Sui knocked on the door of the bathroom and opened the door slightly. "Kagome, Jak is making breakfast upstairs. He said you can't leave until you eat something."

"Okay, Sui. Arigato." Kagome responded as she rinsed the conditioner out of her long hair.

"I need to leave for work. Call me soon?" Sui asked with hope.

"I will. Have a good day, Sui." Kagome murmured through the steam.

"Arigato, Kagome, you too." The young man said before closing the door, trapping the steam once again in the room.

Kagome stepped out of the shower after awhile and wiped the mirror with a tissue. She looked at the mirror with unseeing eyes. She sighed and tried not to think about the early morning incident. She needed to talk to Sui… and soon.

After drying her hair and dressing, she made her way up two flights of stairs to the topmost floor. She greeted Trevor who was already seated at the table, eating a stack of blueberry pancakes.

"Good morning, Kagome." Trevor greeted with a smile.

"Good morning." Kagome responded. She looked at the spread of pancakes, eggs, and bacon on the table. "You must have been really good last night, Trev." She grinned wickedly.

"He was!" Jak called out from the kitchen as he flipped a pancake. 'Very good,' he thought to himself with a grin. "I'm afraid I'm running a bit late. Can you wait a little while before we leave for the office, Kagome-chan? Either that or I can drop you off at your house if you need to leave earlier."

"I'll drive her." A young man said as he entered the dining room, already dressed for the corporate world in gray suit and tie.

Kagome looked up briefly at the sound of the voice and then lowered her eyes to her plate just as quickly.

"Good morning, Ban." Trevor greeted with a wave.

"Morning," Bankotsu replied back.

"I thought you took Nobu's shift last night, Oniisan." Jak said as he placed another plate of pancakes on the table. He settled himself at the head of the table between Kagome and Trev.

"I did, but the Chief told a couple of us to go home so that the trainees can get some more hands-on hours." Ban explained as he took the seat next to Trev before piling a stack of pancakes on his plate. "Is it okay if I drive you, Kagome?" Ban asked without looking across the table.

"Hai, Ban. Arigato." Kagome responded without looking across either.

~*~*~*~

"I don't think those two will make it to the office, Love." Trev said a few minutes later when Kagome and Bankotsu left the house.

"I'm hoping for that, Hon." Jak said with a grin.

~*~*~*~

~* Kagome's house *~

Ban pulled up in front of Kagome's driveway and jumped out of his SUV to open the door for his passenger.

Kagome smiled slightly as she is assisted out of the tall vehicle, but lost her footing when she is pulled forward by the young man. She gave a small cry of surprise as she is swept into his arms… ending up with her face just a couple of inches away from his.

In silence, the two young people stared into each other's eyes, trying to read each other. Together, a moment later, their lips connected like metal to magnet.

They never made it to work.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

To be continued

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Glossary:

Arigatou - Thank you

Gaijin - Foreign

Gomen ne - I'm sorry

Hai - Yes

Ja mata - See ya! (Used when you are seeing that person again that day)

Nani? - What?

Onegai - Please

Oniisan - Brother

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ericedwyn's Fan Fiction Updates:

Inuyasha:

A Demon Should Act Like A Demon: Chapter 19 will be posted before or by the Memorial Day weekend.

The City by the Bay: Chapter 2 has been posted. Chapter 3 will be posted before or by the Memorial Day weekend.

**The floor plans of Kagome's house will be posted during the Memorial Day weekend as well.

***NEW*** Inuyasha Fics:

Kagome's Second: (My first Bankotsu/Kagome romance and a pre-quel companion piece to The City by the Bay). The prologue and chapter 1 will be posted by or after the Memorial Day weekend.

Inuyasha's Jewel: (My first Inuyasha/Kagome romance). The prologue and Chapter 1 will be posted by or after the Memorial Day weekend.

Gundam Wing:

Just For One Night: (Noin and Zechs) Part two and final chapter will be posted before or by the Memorial Day weekend.