InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Closed Door Just Might Open ❯ happy birthday ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I can't tell you enough how very, very, very sorry I am! I hate school! Well, I don't hate school, just all the work they give you. Most of the time, I'm up til midnight finishing my homework. Other nights I'm so exhausted that I sleep on the car ride home, end up there at either 6 or 8, crash as soon as my head touches my pillow, and I have to wake up early to finish homework. So the main reasons for no update are: excessive amounts of homework, had a birthday, soccer practice, soccer games, after school play rehearsal, play that ran for two days, and a tedious, time-consuming research paper (that I'm still not done with). And I know most of you, as you're reading this, are rolling your eyes as you scoff about my attempt at making excuses. But that is the reason for such a long wait. I wish it weren't, I wish I could write every week, but it's just not possible.
 
Thank you to kokoronagomu and Brandospands, who reviewed that sorry excuse of a chapter last time. Hopefully, this will be better.
 
On with the story.
 
The Closed Door Just Might Open
 
Chapter 14: happy birthday
 
We walked together after lunch on the way to band. I got to the door first and we walked in to find Mr. Stout. Oh right, I forgot he was gonna be our teacher from now on. I also saw Mr. Matsushino close to the podium. This confused me. I thought he was retired. Inuyasha and I sat down in our assigned seats.
 
I was just about to comment on Mr. Matsushino being here when he beat me to it. “Welcome back. I suppose you're all wondering why I am here, and the reason for that is to properly say goodbye as you begin your journey with Mr. Stout on his first day. And I'm going to assume that none of you picked your instruments up once during the break, which probably set you back by a month. Not really, but it got you thinking, didn't it? So now I say to you…goodbye. And good luck with Mr. Stout.” And then he was gone, leaving us alone with Mr. Stout.
 
“Well, class,” Mr. Stout started, “ it looks like we're going to be together for a while. Let's get started.”
 
“Can't wait,” Inuyasha groaned to himself. Today, Mr. Stout was wearing yet another tie, only this one had a vertically, wavy piano surrounded in eighth notes and an alto sax off to the side. At least this tie was more related to music and not completely random. Still weird, though.
 
It wasn't until we started to get into our music and he was conducting that I noticed something else about him. Either he has no idea what deodorant is or uses very little because he has huge pit stains you can see plainly every time he lifts his arms. Unfortunately, he does this a lot because he has to conduct. I've realized this grosses me out and have made it a goal not to look at him during class for as long as he's my teacher. Or at least, not look at his arm gestures.
 
I found out that when he wants us to do something his voice changes. For example, when he's trying to get a scale to sound right, he'll raise his voice to the way it should sound. It wouldn't be so weird if he couldn't get his voice so high. And sometimes when he's explaining articulation, he'll stick out his tongue and point to it to let you know you're supposed to use your tongue to separate notes. Like we didn't already know this.
 
There was even this one time Sango was having trouble getting a note to sound right out of her tuba. The note was supposed to sound staccato, meaning short for those with no musical knowledge. Mr. Stout was trying to explain the best way for her to do it. The noise coming out of the tuba kept sounding like she was drunk as she played. He also wanted it played loud so he said to make it sound ugly, meaning it would sound like one big blah, like the way you're not supposed to play. It wasn't until Mr. Stout yelled out, “Short and ugly, like me!” that Sango was able to play it right. When he said it, both Inuyasha and I were holding back laughs. It was funny only because it was true, but that's rude. But still so funny! I think it was the hardest I ever laughed in my life; I was close to tears. Luckily, Mr. Stout's sole purpose was on Sango and Sango only, so he didn't notice our suppressed laughter.
 
So this is what I'll have to deal with for a year and a half? I guess I'll have to live with it. It's not like this is the only class I have.
 
************************
 
So not much has happened since we came back from the break. And it's about a month. Been drawing a bit more. Have some sketches put away in Dad's room. I haven't really listened to Evanescence much in a while. I've been getting into more calming stuff. I didn't really notice this difference until Sango pointed it out a while ago.
 
**************flashback**************
 
Sango and Kagome were at the park by the wall. Kagome was sketching—big surprise—while Sango was working on homework. Kagome hadn't completely tuned out the world by putting both headphones in her ears, she only had one in and was able to hear Sango if she needed to. They were working in silence for a while until Sango heard something.
 
It was coming from her right. She looked at what the noise was and the source of it. It was humming. And the humming was coming from…Kagome? Kagome was humming? Kagome never hums. And what is she humming? It sounds familiar, but not something Kagome would listen to.
 
Kagome didn't notice Sango's stop in her work, as she was too absorbed in her sketch. Sango stood up and went over by Kagome. She leaned her head down by Kagome's to get a better listen at what she was humming. Her eyes widened in realization at what it was. Kagome stopped humming when she noticed Sango's head was hovering by hers. She looked up from her paper at Sango with a weird expression on her face.
 
“What are you doing?” she asked.
 
Sango's face looked contorted with confusion. “Were you…humming…John Mayer?” she asked incredulously.
 
“What?” Kagome asked at her friend's uncertainty.
 
“You. Humming. John Mayer.”
 
“I guess so,” she replied hesitantly.
 
“You never hum. You don't even listen to John Mayer. Am I in the twilight zone? Or a parallel universe?” she asked, looking around the park to be sure.
 
“Maybe?” Kagome said unsure, “You're kinda freaking me out right now.”
 
I'm freaking you out! You're freaking me out! I haven't heard you hum in five years! Let alone something as upbeat as John Mayer.”
 
“Well, I'm sorry to have freaked you out by humming John Mayer,” she said hesitantly once again and went back into sketching. There was more silence as Sango was trying to figure out what was going on.
 
Then she asked, “Are you happier?” Kagome stopped sketching again and looked at Sango in confusion.
 
“What do you mean `am I happier?' I'm happy,” she said confidently.
 
Sango paused before answering. “Well, most of the time all you listen to is depressing music. And I thought since you were listening to happier music, you might be…happier.”
 
Kagome looked at Sango contemplatively. Then her mouth upturned into a little smirk. “Yeah, I guess I am.”
 
************************
 
That was a week ago. I've got more pressing matters to attend to now. Like my birthday. Just kidding. I don't care that much about my birthday, but my friends and family like to make a big deal out of it. Complete with going to where ever I want, if I want to go somewhere, eating what I want, and pretty much doing what I want. As long as it's not illegal or dangerous or something my mom wouldn't approve of.
 
I don't think I told Inuyasha about my birthday. Well, he doesn't need to know. I don't really care. Plus, I'd regret telling him if he made a big deal out of it.
 
So I get to school, only to be bombarded by Sango when I get there. Wow, she looks excited.
 
“You are going to love the present I got you!” she squealed.
 
“Really?”
 
“Oh, Yes!”
 
“You seem more excited about this present than I am.” she's starting to jump up and down in a happy dance.
 
“Oh, I am…well, you might not love the present I got you, but I knew you needed one. Or should I say another one.”
 
“Well, are you gonna give it to me?”
 
“After school at the park.”
 
“So I have to wait all day for it?” I asked glumly.
 
“Yep!” she replied giddily and then ran away. I let out a frustrated sigh. Not long after I did that, a muscular arm sneaked its way around my neck into a headlock.
 
“So I hear it's your birthday,” he said.
 
“Where'd you hear that?”
 
“Sango.”
 
“Sango,” I mumbled menacingly. Then I was whirled around to meet his gold eyes, eyes filled with fake anger.
 
“So you weren't gonna tell me its your birthday?” he asked as he crossed his arms.
 
“What? No, I…I…” I tried to make an excuse, and then gave up, “I didn't think it was that important.”
 
“ `Didn't think it was important'? It's your birthday, February…”
 
“Seventeenth,” I finished for him when he was at a loss for words.
 
“Seventeenth!” he declared, pointing a finger to prove his point, “ the day you turn…”
 
“Seventeen,” I finished again.
 
“Seventeen!” I looked at him doubtfully. “Now don't look at me that way. I would have known it, had you told me. Which you didn't. And it's your golden birthday.”
 
“My what?”
 
“Your golden birthday.” I looked at him puzzled. “The day that's as old as you are. It's supposed to be the best birthday,” he explained.
 
“Is that right?”
 
“That's what I heard.”
 
“Ok, well, let's get to class,” I said then turned around to walk to science.
 
“Hey wait,” he yelled as he ran to catch up with me.
 
“What?”
 
“Well, aren't you having a party?”
 
“So what if I am?” I asked a little defensive.
 
“Then I wanna come. And I'm bringing you a present.” I sigh. This is why I didn't want to tell him, but he just had to know, didn't he?
 
“Fine. It's at my house. Come when you want.” I turned my back to him and walked ahead.
 
**************************
 
There were some people who are kind of my friends that said they would have gotten me a present if they knew it was my birthday. They all found out on announcements. I doubt they'll even remember after today and then they won't even get one. Not that I care. I just wish they hadn't said it; it's annoying.
 
Sango and I walked together until we got to the park.
 
“Ok. Here it is,” she said as she got something out of her backpack. It was flat and rectangular and wrapped in black wrapping paper with colorful stars.
 
“Was wrapping it really necessary?” I asked.
 
“Just open it!” she said irritated. I rolled my eyes as I undid the folds. It wasn't intricately wrapped so there was no need to rip anything.
 
“Great! I needed another sketchpad! Thanks!” I said pleased and leaned over to give her a one-armed hug since the other held my new sketchpad.
 
She held up a finger. “And part two,” she said as she went through her backpack again.
 
“Oh, come on. You didn't need to get me anymore than this.”
 
“Just shut up and take your second present,” she said as she held out another flat, rectangular, wrapped in the same wrapping paper present, only this one was a bit thicker than the one before.
 
“Ok, ok. Geez.” I decided to rip this one just to satisfy her. I looked at it as my eyes bugged out and I was close to screaming.
 
“You're so great! Thank you so much! I love this!” I yelled as I held the book close to me. It was a how-to-draw-manga book. Not that I needed it, but I love getting these to improve my technique or use as a reference when needed.
 
“I'm glad you like my presents for you. And I felt there was no point in getting you pencils when you obviously have so many.”
 
“Good thinking. Thanks a lot!” I said as I hugged her again. “Now let's get to my house to see how my mom dolled it up.”
 
**************************
 
When we got there, there were blue and green streamers along the front of the house and I'm sure the backyard also. We walked through the door to find Souta playing video games while my mom and Inuyasha were hanging up a banner over the dining table. Figures, Souta wouldn't help.
 
Inuyasha was up on the ladder as he was trying to get the banner to stay in place while my mom held the ladder. “How's it going up there!” I decided to yell. “Kag?” he asked just before losing his balance and falling to the floor. I gasped and my hands flew to my mouth at what I caused. Inuyasha landed flat on his back, the wind knocked out of him. I walked over to him and bended over to look at him.
 
“I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you fall. Are you ok?” He groaned in reply. Apparently not.
 
“Yeah. I'm fine,” he said gruffly as he started to get up.
 
“You sure?”
 
“Yeah, I'm good. I'm ok,” he said, flashing a smile telling me not to worry.
 
“Ok,” I said skeptically.
 
“If you want Inuyasha, you can give Kagome her present while I get dinner ready,” my mom said before heading into the kitchen.
 
“Sure, that sounds like a good idea,” he agreed,” let me go get it.” Sango and I sat down on the couch, watching the progress my brother was making on his video game since we had nothing better to do.
 
Inuyasha came down from upstairs with a box in hand.
 
“I didn't really have something great in mind and decided to ask your mom. She told me about this and I thought you might like it. So it's kinda from both of us.” He held out the blue colored box to me.
 
“Well, I wonder what this could be,” I said as if I knew what it could be, looking into his eyes. I lifted the top off and gasped at what I saw, all jokes leaving my eyes.
 
I lifted the object out of the box with the utmost carefulness. It was a manual camera. My dad's camera, to be specific. It even had the neck strap attached. I turned it over in my hands. I moved my hands to hold it just like Dad used to, readjusting the lens.
 
I took my eyes off the camera to look into Inuyasha's eyes. “It's a really nice gift. Thank you so much,” I said softly and stood up to give him a hug with the camera still in hand.
 
“You're welcome. I'm glad you like it.” He pulled back and we smiled at each other.
 
Mom clapped her hands together. “Alright. Let's have that birthday dinner,” she said enthusiastically. All of us went toward the dining room except Mom, who held me back.
 
She waited until everyone was in the room before speaking. “Now knowing you, you're just going to wait until this is all over and everyone has left and put that camera back in your father's room.”
 
“Mom,” I started, rolling my eyes.
 
“No, that's what you're going to do. But I want you to use it. It'll be nice to have something of your dad's around the house again.” Maybe it would be. I think about it for a while before nodding my head and holding Dad's camera closer to me.
 
“Yeah. I think I will.” She hugs me and kisses me on the forehead.
 
“Good,” she says as smoothes my hair down before joining everyone else in the kitchen.
 
*************************
 
I think Inuyasha was right about you're golden birthday is your best birthday. Even though nothing extraordinary happened, it was one of the best birthdays I've ever had. I was so happy tonight. When I walked through the doors of the dining room, no one was paying attention to me, so I got my camera ready before yelling, “Hey, everybody!” Everyone turned to look at me and that was when the shutter clicked. I'm sure the picture will turn out great when I develop it.
 
We had my favorite for dinner: oden! I think it was the best oden I've ever eaten. I wanted more even after I was full. Mom served my favorite flavor of cake: marble. Both white and chocolate in one. And the kind of frosting you don't get sick of when you eat a lot. I love that frosting best! Except for when it turned my tongue and lips blue. Everyone who ate the cake had their tongue and lips turn blue. Mom thought it would be a good picture and took one of Inuyasha, Sango, Souta, and me all with our blue tongues sticking out.
 
I hugged Inuyasha and Sango goodbye and thanked them for their gifts. Today took a lot out of me and I decided to head up to bed.
 
Kagome saw Inuyasha and Kikyo together in the grassy area at the park south of the jungle gym. She was about to go join them when she saw them kiss. It wasn't a peck, or even chaste. It was a deep, passionate kiss. Something about watching them together like that broke something inside Kagome.
 
She couldn't remember a time when she felt so hurt, so betrayed. She shouldn't even be feeling this way. He wasn't hers to claim. But why did she feel like her heart had been shattered and she was trying to pick up the pieces. Who knew you could literally feel a broken heart?
 
She clutched a hand over her heart, hoping to keep it from exploding out of her chest from the pain. She collapsed to her knees. She found it hard to breathe; she was gasping for air. Tears were welling up in her eyes and fell down her face.
 
She looked up to Inuyasha and Kikyo and the tears spilled harder. She fell to her side as she struggled to breathe. Oblivious to the two so lost in each other while she felt like she was dying.
 
I woke feeling like my dream, gasping for breath, my heart shattered. No tears were falling down my face, but they might as well have. My eyes felt like they were on fire. Why am I even having trouble breathing, and why does my chest hurt? It was just a dream. You shouldn't feel the way you feel in dreams when you wake up.
 
I sit up and look to the clock. 2:37 AM. I'm really getting sick of waking up like this. I rest my elbows on my knees while I hold my head in my hands and wait for my hyperventilating to die down.
 
I shouldn't feel this way at all. Especially since I don't feel the way I did in my dream. But why else would I be in this much pain? I should only feel that way if I really like him. Do I really like him? That's crazy, he's just my friend. I don't like him like that.
 
Right. I'm lying to myself; I know it. I've been denying this for a while. Even as I'm going through this now, I'm still denying it. I think I like him. No, I'm not thinking. I like him. I like Inuyasha.
 
*************************
 
Yay! Another long chapter! Long for me anyway. I hope this makes up for depriving you of the story for three months. Ok, I doubt that, but it's better. Again, I'm sorry for making you all wait. This took longer than I thought it would to write. I fell asleep in the middle of it. But I was determined to get it done this weekend. I'm so, so sorry for all of you. I want to update soon. I know I'll have more time over Christmas break. I keep telling you guys this, but I can't guarantee anything. Until next time.