InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Conqueror's Wife ❯ While The Cat's Away ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hooray! Thanks for reviewing everybody!

Chibi Horsewoman: Yes, he does know she's married. Everyone does.

Disclaimer: I do not own them.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

"Did you have fun outside today, wife?" Hiten looked at her from across the long table. He always seemed to want to have casual conversation. Then, he would move on to something about himself. She wondered what it was this time. She chewed slowly on her dinner before replying.

"Yes, my Lord, I had a good time." Of course she did. She finally got to talk to the man she had been watching for so long. His voice still rang in her ears. Then her husband had to ruin it again.

"That's good. Something is happening to the west that requires my presence. I will be leaving in the morning."

"Yes, my Lord."

"I do not wish to be disturbed tonight. I will see you when I return." She knew why he didn't want to see her. She had caught a glimpse of the frightened young girl sitting in the foyer when she had returned to the palace. She had long black hair and bright blue eyes. That was just the way Hiten liked his women. That girl would take her place in his bed that night, and she was grateful.

"I shall see you then." He sauntered out of the room, his long black braid swinging behind him. Kagome sat in silence and finished her dinner alone. She got up and walked to her room, taking a seat by the window. She gazed at the shipyard. Everyone, even Inuyasha, had gone home for the evening. She touched her hand to the pane. It was a different world out there. She sighed and turned to go to bed.

She awoke before the sun came up. She had things she needed to do that day. She walked up to the window. He was not there yet. It was okay. He would come. He never missed a day of work. She dressed quickly as dawn broke outside. Ayame entered her room after a moment.

"Lady Kagome, you're already dressed." Usually Ayame would help her into her elaborate clothes every morning. But this morning she wore a simple pale yellow gardening dress. She didn't have time for all the layers she usually wore.

"I have business in town this morning. Has Lord Hiten left yet?"

"He is leaving now." Kagome and Ayame watched as the little calvary containing her husband trotted down the streets of the city. A smile spread on Kagome's face. Her husband, the tyrant, was gone. She swept past Ayame and hurried to the stairs.

"Where are you going, Lady Kagome?" She turned back toward the girl who was on her heels.

"I am going to see Inuyasha."

"Inuyasha?"

"The white-haired man who works in the shipyard." Ayame looked shocked. The lady of the house was going to see another man? And it was that man. She had seen Kagome watch him for a long time. She had asked Kouga, her husband who he worked with, about him. Kouga had said he kept to himself. No one really knew much about him.

"Would you like me to call a carriage?"

"No. I'd rather walk. I'll be back later. Don't worry if I don't make it home for lunch." Then Kagome went out the door. Ayame stared at her in amazement. That woman was not the lady of the city. The woman who was walking down the street had a spring in her step. She wore not the normal garb of nobility but a peasant's dress. She was going to see a man who wasn't her husband and also was of a much lower class. As she disappeared around a corner, Ayame whispered to herself, knowing Kagome couldn't hear.

"I hope you know what you're doing."

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))))))

A/N: Sorry about the shortness of the chapters. Short means quicker updates though. I mean I only started writing this story this morning and we are already on chapter four. Okay. Go ahead push the button. Go on it says "Submit Review." It's not gonna hurt you. I promise.