InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Conqueror's Wife ❯ Lunch ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This is kind of a short chapter. I haven't gotten very many reviews. *pout*

Disclaimer: I own no one.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

When the man reached her table, her breath caught. She had watched him for a long time. He had helped build four ships under her gaze, but he'd never been this close to her before. He wore only the pants that all the workers wore and a dirty pair of shoes. His long white hair was tied back in a leather thong. His forelocks and bangs escaped its grasp though and framed his face. Kagome had never seen the gentle lines of his muscles or the gold of his eyes. He was always so distant. That made her lust safe. She couldn't believe she had actually asked him to join her. He stood there, next to her table and waited.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Won't you sit down?" He took his seat across from her. He looked at the table, the benches, the other workers, every where but at her. He was nervous. He did not belong at the tavern with the lady of the city. He belonged in the shipyard with his tools.

"Are you hungry?" she asked. He shook his head. She was becoming frustrated. She had to hear him speak.

"My name is Lady Kagome. You can just call me Kagome though. There's really no need for titles." He nodded. His soft hair moved up and down. She wanted to reach out and touch it. She wanted to kiss him and call out his name. What was his name?

"And what should I call you?" He looked at her for the first time. His eyes were penetrating and deep. She could get lost in them. But his mouth did not move.

"I guess I could continue calling you the white-haired laborer if you'd like." He smiled at that. His face was so perfect when he smiled.

"My name is Inuyasha. You should probably call me that." Kagome stared at him for a while. His voice was rough, and it suited him perfectly. She liked the sound of it.

"Well, Inuyasha, what would you like for lunch?" His gaze turned from one of wonder to one of sadness.

"I have no money to eat today. I have to use all I make to live in my house." She had not expected that answer.

"It's okay. I'll pay for it. In return, you must talk to me." He looked at her like she was crazy.

"Alright. You just get me whatever you're having." When the waiter came to them, she ordered two fresh catch sandwiches. The fish really was fresh caught because the cook went fishing every morning. They spent a while talking about things. She found that Inuyasha lived alone and loved to work. It made him feel at peace with himself. It was one of the only things he was good at. He learned of her boring life at the palace and desire to be outside. When the food came, they barely noticed. Their conversation only stopped when the bell signifying the end of the lunch break was sounded.

"I have to go back to work now."

"I know."

"I really enjoyed our conversation."

"As did I. Hopefully we can continue it soon."

"Whenever you want. When I am not here or at work, I am at my home. Sango knows where it is. She had to help me home once when I drank too much sake." Kagome giggled at that.

"Maybe I will come calling on you one day."

"That would make me very happy. Good-bye, Lady Kagome."

"Good-bye, Inuyasha." She watched as he returned to his post and worked. She stayed there until the sun went down. She didn't hear the other men talking. They had never seen Inuyasha work so slowly before. He seemed to be distracted by something. He kept sneaking looks at the tavern.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

A/N: Come on guys. I need to know what you think. Review!