InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Conqueror's Wife ❯ The Tavern ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, on to chapter two. Just so that we are clear, everyone is human in this story. It will just work out better that way. They still look the same minus the pointy/dog ears, the claws, and the fangs. Even the crazy eye color is staying. Okay moving on…

Disclaimer: not mine!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

The tavern sat opposite of the shipyard. It was a very busy place. All the men who had enough money would pile in for lunch. But it was not midday yet and the pub was quiet. Kagome entered happily. She loved this place. It was made all of wood and had booths surrounding a large center bar. In the middle of the bar stood a woman with long black hair that had been tied up in a high ponytail. She was strong and independent. She never put up with anything that she didn't want to. She was everything Kagome wished for herself. She took a seat at one of the barstools.

"Kagome!" the bartender yelled, "I'm so happy to see you. How's life at the palace?"

"It's good to see you too, Sango. Life's the same as always." They both knew what that meant. Life was boring. Life was trivial. She hated every second of it. Many times she had cried to the bartender, telling her of all her worries.

"I'm sorry to hear that. Would you like something to drink?"

"Just some tea please." Kagome usually didn't drink sake especially this early in the day. Sango handed her the drink and smiled.

"Are you going to sit on the patio?" The patio faced the front of the shipyard. One could see all the men working from that vantage point. It was a favorite place to sit for the foremen so they could watch all the workers. It was Kagome's favorite place to sit too, but she would only watch one.

"Yes."

"Just let me know if you need anything."

"I will." Kagome walked through the door with her tea and sat at one of the wooden tables that lined the outside dining area. She found him immediately. He was still pounding away, but on a different beam this time. She liked being this close to him. He was beautiful from her window, but from here he was even more so. She could watch the ferocity that he exuded. He was not like her husband. The lord was a man who was very strong. Strong enough to take over kingdoms. Strong enough to force treaties. Strong enough to intimidate every person he came near. But he was not strong like this man. No, the white-haired laborer was strength personified. In all the days she had watched him, she had yet to find his weak point. He never faltered in his tasks. He was never distracted. He worked as though his life depended on it. It was truly a beautiful sight. She had thought in the beginning that he moved the way he did because he was of a lower class, but none of the other workers came close to his ability. He was a solitary flower amidst the weeds. She smiled as he stood and wiped the sweat off of his brow. His whole body glistened with it, proof of his efforts.

"Lady Kagome!" She turned startled. It was a man in long black and purple robes. He held a gold staff that signified his place in society. He was a monk. He was also the bartender's husband.

"Hello, Miroku." He took a seat next to her and looked out in the direction she had been staring.

"Amazing isn't it?"

"Yes," she replied breathily as the man continued with his work.

"Those ships are built so quickly, and yet they are solid and steadfast."

"Oh." She tore her eyes away from the man to look at the monk. "They sure are." Miroku smiled at her. She did not come to the tavern to look at the ships, and he knew it.

"So, your husband has guests today I take it."

"Yes, ambassadors."

"What time will you be going home then?"

"When the sun goes down. I will stay here until then."

"That's a fine idea. Well, I must take my leave for a moment. I came to check on my little ray of sunshine, and I should probably continue with that task." He got up and walked inside. My little ray of sunshine. Kagome thought that was cute. She imagined the white-haired man calling her that, then stopped. She couldn't imagine it. She had never heard his voice. The voices of all the other men were familiar. They were always shouting things to each other. She listened now to them.

"Get me some more nails."

"Can't we have a break soon?"

"You should have seen this girl!"

But he remained silent, just as he always had. Apparently he had no need to yell things. When he needed something, he got up and got it. He didn't believe in delegating or asking for help. He could do things for himself.

Kagome was surprised when she heard the bell that meant it was time for a lunch break. She didn't think she had been there that long. She had just been so caught up in watching that man. The workers piled forth and crowded the patio. They began to take their seats at the tables and hollering for a waitress. But he did not move. The lunch bell had fallen on deaf ears. He continued hammering away. Kagome looked at the empty seat across from her and grabbed one of the passing men.

"Excuse me, why is that man still working? Isn't it time for lunch?"

"Who, that guy? He never stops for lunch. I think he'd work around the clock if they let him. He's crazy."

"Oh, I see. Please go to him and let him know that the lady of the city would like an audience with him."

"I'm sorry. What?"

"I am Lord Hiten's wife. I want that man to come eat lunch with me. You go tell him."

"Yes, ma'am." He hurried back toward the still laboring man. He bent down and said something Kagome couldn't hear. The man rose and turned to look where the other was pointing. He put down his hammer and slowly began to walk toward her. She was both eager and anxious. Why had she done this? Why did she want that man to eat with her so badly?

"Because I want to hear his voice," she thought to herself. "I want to give my dreams sound."

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))))))

A/N: Oh my. Is it hot in here or is it just me? Florida is such a drag sometimes. Maybe that's where the heat is coming from, or maybe it's from describing Inuyasha's sexy body. Oh no, wait! He's a cartoon character. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Sorry, please review!