InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Conqueror's Wife ❯ Temptation ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dinner time!

Disclaimer: Inuyasha belongs to someone who is not me.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

Inuyasha only lived a short ways from the shipyard. He and Kagome walked there happily after his day of work was done. No one had seen him leave that early before, but no one said anything. They came upon his house after the sun had already gone down. Kagome was astonished when she entered. She had lived her whole life in a grand palace. She was used to luxury. His surroundings were completely new to her. There was only one large room with his bed and a chest to one side a low table and cushions in the middle and a small stove and cabinet opposite his bed. Other than that, there was nothing. It was absolutely the barest place she'd ever been in. But she thought she liked it. It was cozy. Inuyasha took her basket and shawl and laid them on the table. He smiled at her.

"I'll be right back. I need to, uh, relieve myself." He exited the room.

"He must have an outhouse," she mused. "How quaint." She looked around his home for a moment then decided to check out what was in the cabinets. Opening them, she realized it was just vegetables and rice. That didn't tell her much about him. Her eyes rested on the chest. That might hold more information. She went to it and gently lifted the lid. There were a few pairs of work pants inside. Underneath them there was something else. It was bright red material and there appeared to be small pieces of metal. Something long and thin bulged beneath that.

"Lady Kagome?" She shut the chest hurriedly. Inuyasha was standing in the doorway.

"Please just call me Kagome. I've said that before." He smiled at her. She was so sweet.

"Are you ready to eat?"

"Yes, thank you." They worked together preparing the meager meal of vegetables and rice. Kagome enjoyed it. She had always had her meals prepared for her, but Inuyasha was very patient in teaching her how to do it herself. Her heart had nearly thumped out of her chest when he stood behind her and laid his strong hands over hers to show her how to cut correctly. After some time and a few mishaps, the meal was ready. They sat together at the low table.

"I'm sorry I had nothing else. I was not expecting to share my meal with anyone this evening." She smiled at him. She didn't care if they were having bread and water. All that mattered was that she was there, with him.

"If you had come to the palace with me, we could have had a feast." He laughed slightly.

"But that would not have been as much fun."

"No. I guess it wouldn't have." They laughed and talked for quite a while. Even after the food was done, their conversation did not wane. Eventually, the white-haired man got up from the table and took their dishes outside. Kagome followed him.

"What are you doing?" He was leaning over a large bucket of water with the plates.

"I'm cleaning up, silly." She had never needed to clean up before. The servants always did that.

"Oh, sorry." He finished rinsing them and went back inside. She stood directly behind him when he was putting the plates back into the cabinet, so when he turned around, he bumped her, and she began to fall. He quickly caught her in his arms. He didn't help her regain her balance though. He just held her there, halfway bent backwards with him over her.

"Thank you," she whispered. He nodded his head. She gently pushed to stand, and he allowed her. Her face slowly moved closer to his. Their lips were so desperately close. She could feel his breath on them. She stared into his eyes, silently begging for him to kiss her. When he didn't move, she pushed forward. He reeled back and grabbed the small hands that had draped around his neck during her fall. He pushed them close to her chest and stared longingly into her eyes.

"Kagome," he said softly, "We can't do this." She felt tears begin to form. They had been so close. Why was he ruining it now?

"Why not?"

"You are married." At that moment Kagome hated Hiten more than she ever had. It was his fault Inuyasha wasn't with her. It was his fault everything in her life was the way it was.

"Inuyasha, I do not love him. My father died right before my very eyes. The next day I was told I would marry his murderer. Lord Hiten has a different woman to share his bed every night. Do you think I would choose to marry a man like that? Does it look like I'm satisfied being his wife?"

"I'm sorry Kagome." His voice was still soft even though she had begun yelling.

"This isn't fair. I don't want him. I want you."

"You are still his wife. You are not mine to lay claim to. I would love to share my life with you, but as of now I can only share my bed. I don't think that's right." Kagome began to sob. She felt his gentle hand on her shoulder.

"So, I can't see you anymore?" He hung his head.

"I think that would be best." She stared at him, astonished, then stumbled out his door. He did not try to follow her, although he very much wanted to. If he had gone after her, she would have shared his bed that night. And that just couldn't happen for him yet. There were other things keeping him from her.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

A/N: Oh wow! You weren't expecting that were you? Shoot me a review. Don't worry. It's far from over.