InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Curious Case of Kagome's Scent ❯ Raspberry Ripple ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
It seemed as though she'd gotten the message that he was interested. Of course, if she hadn't he would have had cause for concern because he hadn't been subtle in the least. She was no longer avoiding him, but instead, seemed as if she was seeking him out. She would often approach him when the group had stopped, either for meals or to rest for the night. Kagome would engage him in conversation, sharing more about her life and her time while every now and then asking him questions about himself.

It was surprisingly easy to talk to her. What wasn't easy, however, was keeping his hands and lips off of her. Having her close, hearing her voice, basking in her scent, even if it was from her strange products and not her natural one... it was all getting to be too much. He wanted to touch her so badly, to show affection in the way of his kind. Still, he didn't know how she would react if he suddenly leaned over and started nuzzling her, so he fought to control himself.

They hadn't talked about what happened between them, let alone what kind of relationship they were building to. He didn't know if she was interested in him the way he was her, or if she was simply being the friendly girl she always was. She was still using that horrible toothpaste, and though he hadn't been kidding about getting used to it to be able to continue kissing her, he took it as a sign that she at the very least wasn't ready yet. He hoped she wasn't trying to tell him she didn't see him as a potential suitor. She hadn't outright refused him, so he was stuck grasping for hints that she wanted more. Sadly, he had yet to find any.

They had went back to Edo to rest and to allow Kagome to return to her time in order to replenish supplies. She was planning on leaving in the morning and he was dreading it. Sure, if he wasn't in her presence he wouldn't be forced to constantly fight against his instinct and desire, but he was certain it would be torture to be parted from her. Even though he couldn't touch her, just having her by his side brought him a kind of peace he'd never known. Talking with her was a treat, listening as she willingly shared so much of herself with him. Not hearing her voice for a few days might just kill him, and being stuck with Inuyasha the whole time without her might just cause him to kill the hanyou.

They'd been resting and preparing for the evening meal when the ground began to shake. It was clear it wasn't an earthquake by the loud booming sound that accompanied it, and the way it seemed to be rhythmic, like someone pounding a giant drum. Inuyasha at first wanted to ignore it but, after some yelling and a few 'sits', Kagome had convinced him that it would be a good idea to investigate. Whatever was causing it was too close to the village they used as home base and the miko refused to allow a potential threat to be left unexamined. The children and Jaken were left in the relative safety of Kaede's hut while they set out.

It was difficult to choose a direction to head in, as the sound seemed to come from everywhere, but eventually they decided on one and set off. After a few minutes of walking, the sound and vibrations stopped, but Kagome refused to allow her hanyou friend to turn around. Just because it stopped didn't mean the cause went away.

It occurred so fast. The ogre scooped Kagome up and held her high above their heads before anyone even realized what was happening. Of course, Sesshoumaru immediately blamed himself. He should have noticed the odd scent in the air or the obvious aura of the giant creature, but he had allowed himself to become hypnotized by the swishing of the miko's short green skirt as she walked. The sway of her hips was entrancing and he hadn't been able to drag his eyes away. Even if he had, he probably wouldn't have seen the thing as no one else in the group had noticed either.

The gray tone and bumpy, scaly texture of the ogre's skin, as well as its ability to sit completely motionless, had each and every one of the group members thinking they were merely passing a rocky cliff. Now Kagome was in danger, the large hand of the monster wrapped completely around her body, leaving only her head free. Sesshoumaru was surprised she wasn't screaming and immediately feared that she'd already been crushed. Rage filled him at the thought of the miko being injured or even killed, and he flew past his half brother at such a speed that Inuyasha barely saw him.

Miroku had a handful of sutras and Sango held her Hiraikotsu above her head, preparing to throw. Kirara was already in her battle form, ready if an attack by air was necessary, and Inuyasha had his sword out and was cursing up a storm. They were all stunned into silence as Sesshoumaru's green acid whip flashed through the air, slicing at the ogre, who attempted to knock him away like a fly. The taiyoukai continued to attack, lashing out faster than his enemy could see, causing it to become disoriented.

"Get out of the way, you prick, and I'll hit him with the Windscar!" Inuyasha bellowed in anger. He didn't like the idea of Sesshoumaru being the one to rescue Kagome. That was his job!

"Inuyasha, think!" Miroku scolded. "If you use the Windscar, Kagome could be hurt. We have to find another way."

"Just get me out of here!" Kagome screamed. Her voice sent a flood of relief through Sesshoumaru's system and he regained control, focused completely on getting the woman he desired to safety. He thought quickly while continuing to keep the ogre confused before deciding on a plan of action.

"Inuyasha! When she is clear, use the Windscar," the inuyoukai yelled to his half brother on the ground. Inuyasha's eyes widened at his brother's tone; he sounded seriously pissed. He'd never seen Sesshoumaru yell before. He was always calm, but now... something was very different about this situation.

Now wasn't the time to think it over though, so Inuyasha shook it from his mind and hollered his agreement. Everyone on the ground watched as Sesshoumaru pulled his sword and sliced through the giant ogre's wrist, sending the hand wrapped around Kagome quickly towards the ground.

Now, Kagome decided, was the perfect time to start screaming. She was sure to be killed when the disembodied hand hit the ground! She pinched her eyes closed tightly, so she didn't notice when Sesshoumaru landed on what was left of the wrist, slicing through the fingers with surgical accuracy to release her. Once the miko was safe in his arms, the taiyoukai leapt away, signaling for Inuyasha to go.

The sound of the Windscar and the wails of the dying ogre ripped through the air and then it was silent, except for Kagome's terrified screams. Sesshoumaru landed softly on the ground and shifted her so that he could bury his face in her neck.

"This Sesshoumaru would appreciate it if you would stop that now," he purred, losing the battle to control his instincts as he nuzzled her cheek. "You are safe."

The screaming stopped instantly and Kagome opened her eyes, taking in their position. Sesshoumaru was holding her bridal style, having somehow avoided skewering her on his armor. "You... you saved me?"

"Of course I did," he answered, never removing his nose from her hair.

"Gods, I stink!" she growled. "That thing must not have known the meaning of the word 'bath'. Can you... can you put me down?"

He didn't want to. He really, really didn't want to, but Sesshoumaru complied with her request and set her on her feet, stepping back as her friends came running. They checked her over from head to toe for injuries before a shaky miko was hauled onto Inuyasha's back to be carried back to the village. The taiyoukai followed behind, silently cursing his brother's luck for being the one to carry her. How he wished to be the one with his hands wrapped around her thighs.

He walked at a much slower pace, lost in his thoughts. They alternated between self-deprecation for allowing danger to come so close to her, for putting her at risk, and memories of how wonderful it felt to hold her in his arms. It felt so perfect, so right, that it physically hurt to release her. He wanted her in his arms forever; he just hadn't known it until that very moment.

Sesshoumaru shook the thought from his mind. He couldn't mate her, even if he wanted to. He was a cardinal Lord and thus required a proper inu mate, whether he liked it or not. That didn't make him want her any less though. Perhaps he could still be with her and simply not mate her? No, that wouldn't work either because then he would lose her to time as she aged and died, leaving him behind. This would require a great deal of thought and consideration. Could he break tradition and mate her anyway? Would she even have him?

By the time he reached the village, Kagome was leaving Kaede's hut, her yellow bag on her back. She smiled up at him and all the troublesome thoughts fled his mind. She was just so beautiful.

"Thank you... for saving me, I mean." She spoke softly, almost shyly, and he couldn't help but smile at her.

"It was the least I could do after not noticing its presence. I should not have allowed danger to come so close to you."

"Don't blame yourself. No one else noticed it either."

"I should have."

"Well, I'm fine, so don't beat yourself up over it. You wanna... Would you walk me to the well?"

"Of course."

They walked together in companionable silence until the breeze shifted and he noticed that her scent had changed. He carefully caught her arm and stopped her, leaning closer to sniff at her hair.

"My scent again? What is it with you and my scent?"

"You no longer smell of ogre," he replied, unwilling to explain his interest.

"Body spray. It's kind of like scented oils only I can spray it on instead of rubbing it in. I couldn't go home stinking like that thing. Mama would have freaked out."

"It is pleasant. Some kind of berries?"

"Raspberries. It's called 'Raspberry Ripple'. Can... can we keep walking? All I want to do is get home and have a long, hot bath."

"Of course," he replied while releasing her.

Once they reached the well, Kagome turned to him once more. "Thanks again." She smiled brightly at him and Sesshoumaru felt his heart skip a beat. "I'll be back in a few days. Try not to kill Inuyasha, huh?"

"I make no promises."

"Well, if you promise me that, I'll promise you that I'll buy a new kind of toothpaste." His eyes widened and she laughed. "That got your attention."

"You have a deal," he purred before pulling her into his arms. That was definitely a sign of interest if ever he heard one! She wanted him to kiss her after all, and he had no desire to disappoint her. The taiyoukai leaned down, a thrill running down his spine and she lifted herself onto her toes, meeting him halfway. The kiss was long, slow, and passionate, and he wanted it to last forever. However, he knew she needed to breathe and so he eventually pulled back, pressing soft pecks to the corners of her lips in an attempt to extend the moment.

"Yeah," Kagome said, breathing heavily, "that is definitely worth changing toothpastes. See you soon."

Before he could reply, she'd hopped into the well and crossed over to her time. The taiyoukai sat on the old wooden ledge and allowed himself to once more become lost in his thoughts, only this time they were happy thoughts... very, very happy thoughts.