InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Curious Case of Kagome's Scent ❯ Peanut Butter Cup ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
"So, you told him 'No' because he didn't choose you based solely on your scent?" Sango asked, confusion clear in her voice. "I would think you would be more comfortable because he picked you for who you are and not just how you smell, especially since Inuyasha clearly only cares about how you look. We all know how you feel about that."

"I know it doesn't make any sense, Sango," Kagome replied before popping a slightly melted mini peanut butter cup into her mouth. She grabbed another to unwrap before handing the bag to her friend, who took a few as well. The miko was in grave need of comfort food and this was her only option. She usually saved them for when she was on her period, but this situation was just as emotionally frustrating.

"Well, what's the problem then? I don't understand."

"It's just... If he hasn't smelled my natural scent, then he can't be sure I'm really the one he's meant to mate. What if we mated and then he caught a whiff of it and realized I'm not the one after all? Or what if he finds another woman sometime in the future and she's the one? He would be stuck with me, unable to be with the one who would truly make him happy. He would resent me, maybe even hate me, for holding him back. I can't do that to him."

"Kagome, from what you said, he sounds pretty damn sure. Why are you so certain you aren't his true mate? He could be right, you know."

"I can't be, Sango. His true mate should be inu, someone on his level. I'm not nearly good enough for him. Besides, I'm not even from this time. Why would the Gods make his true mate someone that won't even exist for another five hundred years?"

"But you do exist, Kagome. You're here right now. Did you ever think that maybe that's why you're here in this time? Maybe the Gods intended for you to be pulled through the well, so you could be with him. And why in the world don't you think you're good enough? You're beautiful, strong, smart... so many things. You need to stop looking at yourself through Inuyasha's eyes. He's just a big jerk who couldn't say something nice about someone to save his life, even if he knows it to be true."

"I don't... I don't think so, Sango. I can't be the girl for him; it just doesn't make sense. I don't know why he's attracted to me in the first place. He's supposed to hate humans, not want to mate one!"

"That, my friend, is the power of love. It doesn't matter to him what you are, only who you are."

"He doesn't love me," Kagome replied, sadness obvious in her voice.

"How do you know that? Just because he didn't say it? Think about it, Kagome. He told you he wanted you, that he wanted to mate you, and you told him no, that you couldn't be the right girl. Not really the best situation for him to declare his undying love; and I think he does love you."

"You do? Why?"

"Because of the way he looks at you. Because he wants you so badly he's willing to ignore tradition to make you his."

Kagome sighed. "He might think he loves me, but he won't forever."

"No, Kagome. You're wrong."

"It doesn't matter. I refuse to risk his happiness in the future for my happiness now. If we mated, one day he's going to regret it."

"You love him, don't you?" Sango asked.

"I do. That's why I can't let him make this mistake."

"Okay, look at it this way. What if you are his true mate? What if the Gods intended for you to be together? If you tell him no, then you will be keeping him from being happy, from feeling complete. You could be hurting him by rejecting him ---and yourself too --- just because you're not sure. Why can't you trust his judgment? I think he would know if this is what he really wants or not. You need to know for sure, and I think you know what you have to do."

"Yeah," Kagome whispered. "Tell him 'No'."

"What?" Sango practically yelled. "Are you stupid? Haven't you heard a thing I've been saying? You can't just tell him 'No'. Then you'll never know if you were meant to be together or not. You could be ruining both of your lives, and for what? Because you're scared?"

Kagome was shocked by the anger in her friend's tone. Sango had never yelled at her like that before, not  even when she was hopelessly hung up on Inuyasha. "Well, what then? What am I supposed to do?"

"It's simple, really. You just need to let him smell your natural scent. Then he'll know for sure and so will you. You can make an informed decision instead of leaving yourself wondering."

"But he said he isn't going to change his mind, that he wants me and only me no matter what. What if he lies to me and tells me my scent is right, just so he'll get his way?"

The slayer shook her head. "He wouldn't lie to you, especially not about something so important. You can't start a mating on lies, and he's too honorable to try to trick you into agreeing to it."

"So you think I should just... test it?"

"Exactly."

"Do you think that I could...?"

Sango smiled. "Yeah, Kirara will take you to the well. Not yet though. There's a miko trick I remembered a while ago and I've been meaning to see if you can do it. It might come in handy."

Kagome looked warily at the devious expression on her best friend's face. This should be interesting.