InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Side of the Sun ❯ Chapter Three: Innocence Lost, Innocence Regained ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Several days has passed since Sesshomaru had brought Inuyasha, bloodied and beaten, to his new home. The child had remained unconscious during that time, but, Shinsei had assured him, that Inuyasha was getting better and growing stronger. InuTaisho'd had a hard time believing the healer at first. Inuyasha had needed constant care. The boy's bandages had to changed, healing wounds needed to be cleaned - he needed to be cleaned - and Inuyasha had to be fed. Shinsei constantly gave his youngest son medicines and healing potions in addition to broths and water. InuTaisho hardly left the boy's side, only going when pressing business came up, and it pained him to see his son lay so still, the only promises that the boy still lived were the rising and falling of his chest, and the swallowing of the liquids Shinsei gave the child. Everything helped the child to heal, except for his arm and ribs, but nothing woke Inuyasha up. InuTaisho had just about given up hope of Inuyasha ever opening his eyes when, one night, something happened to change that.

 

InuTaisho had just taken care of a territorial matter and had returned to Shinsei's home to spend another sleepless night watching over Inuyasha. The healer had finished giving Inuyasha the necessary potions and broths when he had entered.

 

"That's a good pup," Shinsei cooed, setting the cups down. "Your father's here now. I bet you're happy to see him, aren't you?"

 

The taiyoukai smiled a little as Shinsei spoke to the child. It had somehow become a routine of sorts, though Inuyasha never responded. However, when Inuyasha's right ear twitched at that precise moment, he was more than surprised.

 

"His ear," InuTaisho murmured, kneeling next to his son. "It moved."

 

"That it did," Shinsei nodded. He gathered Inuyasha in his arms then handed the boy to the taiyoukai. "It started twitching the moment he heard you enter the house. He's more aware today. I daresay he'll be awake and wanting solid food within the next day or two."

 

InuTaisho cradled his son to his chest, being mindful of the still mending bones. He had to admit that, upon looking at the child now, he couldn't tell that Inuyasha had been severely close to death. The bruises and lacerations had healed, and the fur had grown back on Inuyasha's ears. Shinsei just smiled as he gathered up his bowls to clean them.

"Sleep well, my Lord," he bowed then left. InuTaisho situated himself with his back to the wall. Then he glanced at the child that slept peacefully in his arms. The right ear twitched a little more. Granted, it was only the tiniest of movements, but it was enough to warm his heart and rekindle his hope for his son's life.

 

"I guess you are happy to see me . . . aren't you, Inuyasha?" The ear swivelled to the sound of his voice. "Yes, I'm right here . . . and waiting for you to open those eyes of yours," InuTaisho chuckled a little, scratching gently behind Inuyasha's left ear. A smile tugged on the boy's lips and InuTaisho felt his head lean into the touch. He kissed his youngest's forehead, ignoring the feminine scent that had entered Shinsei's home.

 

"He looks just like you, Tai," came the soft comment. "He probably even has your eyes, doesn't he? Or does he have Hiroshi's?"

 

"Mine, Yashira . . . Why are you? If you don't mind me asking, that is."

 

The silver-haired demoness sat before him, her golden gaze settling on Inuyasha while one hand brushed the boy's hair out of his face.

 

"To see the child that you hold in your arms, Tai," Yashira replied. "Sesshomaru told me he was here and that he resembled you greatly."

 

"Yashira . . ."

 

"I will not harm him, Tai. Nor will I say anything harsh to him. I do respect your father and your brother, Hiroshi, a great deal, after all. I am not Izayoi."

 

"That you are not," InuTaisho agreed. "But . . ."

 

"I do not intend to be a mother to him, Tai," she stated firmly, rising to her feet. "You'll have to find someone else for that. I will not harm him but I will not raise him, either." She bowed. "Sleep well, my Lord."

 

Inuyasha's left ear flicked as the demoness left then flattened against his head. Gazing down, he noted that the smile had left the boy's face . . . and golden eyes stared mournfully at him, a stray tear rolling down his cheek. InuTaisho wiped it away.

 

"This is not the face I want to see on you often, Inuyasha," he stated firmly, nuzzling the now-awake child. His own joy he shoved to the back of his mind. His child needed comfort, and comfort he intended to give. "You're safe now. So smiles and laughter from now on. Understood?" At Inuyasha's uncertain nod, he smiled. "I do love you, my child. No one shall harm you ever again. Not while I still draw breath. Now . . . shall we go see Shinsei and find out if he's got anything good to eat? Or shall we sneak off to the kitchen proper for some food?"

 

Fear and panic crossed Inuyasha's face. His heart began to race and his breathing became shallow. InuTaisho ran a finger along the side of Inuyasha's face, soothing the frightened child.

 

"Shhh . . . hush, Inuyasha. It's all right, it's all right. No one will hurt you. You're safe now. I promised you that you would be, and I always keep my promises."

 

It took him a few moments to calm Inuyasha down. When he had the child resting comfortably once more, he got to his feet.

 

"My Lord? I smelled fear . . ."

 

"We're all right, Shinsei," InuTaisho smiled, meeting the healer's gaze. "He's awake."

 

"He is? That's good," Shinsei replied. "Perhaps he'd like some food, yes?"

 

"That's what we were going to get," the taiyoukai winked.

 

"I think the kitchens are still open, my Lord."

 

"Hai. I believe so, too."

 

Keeping Inuyasha nestled in the crook of his arm, he and Shinsei headed for the palace kitchens.

 

* * *

 

Days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months until six months had passed since Sesshomaru had brought his little brother home. If Izayoi had contacted his father about Inuyasha during that time, InuTaisho never mentioned it. One of the inuyoukai servants, a silver-haired demoness with lavender eyes and blue markings named Kashi, had been assigned to be Inuyasha's nursemaid, and she'd done wonders with the boy. Within his first week of being awake, she had not only gained his trust but slowly helped ease him out of his shell.

 

For his part, Sesshomaru continued his studies, but found himself with a new task, that of entertaining his younger half-sibling. The half-demon had become completely enamoured with him, especially after their father had told the child it had been Sesshomaru who had rescued him from his grandfather's palace.

 

Sesshomaru lowered his quill as he thought of his younger brother. Though Inuyasha had continued to grow stronger and became more playful in his new home, he had yet to make a single sound. Sesshomaru's fingers tightened dangerously as the last six months came to his mind. Inuyasha had been fearful of nearly everyone, save their father then his nursemaid, and had cringed whenever someone saw him doing anything. And it hadn't mattered what it was, even when he followed Kashi down the corridors. Inuyasha hadn't known how to read, how to count, or, to the boy's great shame, eat properly with the family. It had taken their father, him, and Kashi at least a month to help the half-demon understand that he wasn't going to be punished simply for being there. Once Inuyasha had started to feel secure, his learning had begun and he had excelled.

 

`He's already surpassed the other youths his age,' Sesshomaru smirked with no amount of pride. `Even me when I was his age.'

 

A slight tug on his fur wrap brought him out of his musings. Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow as he turned his head slightly. From the corner of his eye, he saw Jaken's indignant glare aimed at the person behind him, someone with puppy ears, but the imp wisely kept his mouth shut. His father had made it painfully clear to the palace one night that, under no circumstances, no one was to scold Inuyasha or raise a hand against him when a servant had yelled at the boy for munching on an apple. If anyone had a problem where the half-demon was concerned, they were to talk to him and he would deal with Inuyasha. Sesshomaru had agreed, Inuyasha's tear-streaked face still fresh in his memory.

 

`And now the runt is in here,' he smiled a little. Sesshomaru set his quill down, raised his right hand, grasped the fur, and swung it around. A set of golden-amber eyes and the same, fuzzy white ears peered from the depths of the fur at him. He had no doubts that the boy had an impish grin on his face.

 

`I must be firm,' he told himself. `I have my studies to complete.'

 

"Inuyasha, you know that I have my studies to attend," Sesshomaru began, "and you have your studies . . ." The half-demon's right ear flattened while the left remained perked up. "You've finished your studies, haven't you?"

 

His brother's head bobbed up and down. Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow at the child then decided he believed him. Inuyasha was not in the habit of lying. If anything, his behaviour was beyond exceptional. The youth feared any form of reprisal or punishment. That much had become clear when InuTaisho had been angry one night and Inuyasha refused to go near him.

 

Slowly, Sesshomaru pulled the wrap towards him. He had just situated Inuyasha in his lap and had resumed his studies when Kashi burst into the room. She promptly bowed before him.

 

"Forgive me, my Lord," she panted. "I just turned around for a moment. I didn't mean for him to interrupt you again."

 

"It is all right, Kashi. No harm was done . . . though I see he has taken his shoes off again . . ."

 

The servant girl raised her eyes, lavender turning violet.

 

"I left them off today, my Lord. They hurt his feet. When I put them on and he takes them off, I see red welts along the sides and the bottom. I've tried telling the shoe-maker to make him some new ones . . ."

 

"But he doesn't listen," Sesshomaru finished after she had trailed off.

 

"No," Kashi sighed in frustration. "Your mother wants him to wear the shoes and to look like the prince that he is, but they cut into his feet. I can't go against her wishes but I can't stand to see his feet so torn up. I'm at a loss as to what to do, my Lord."

 

"When I am finished with my studies, Kashi, I shall talk with my mother about the shoe-maker," he assured her, allowing her a bit of a smile.

 

"Thank you, my Lord," she breathed, bowing once more. "I shall be eternally grateful."

 

`I know,' he told himself, admiring the inu demoness's voluptuous form. Truth be told, he loved it when his brother ran to him. Kashi followed the scamp everywhere, taking her duties as his care giver seriously. She had done wonders with the child when none of the other servants could, including catching Sesshomaru's eye. `She'd make an excellent mate . . . I'll have to talk to Father about making her mine. When Inuyasha is older, that is, and when I grow weary of sneaking into her chambers at night.'

 

"I shall take your brother with me then," she smiled, reaching for the half-demon. "Your father should be returning home tonight and Lady Yashira has told me that Inuyasha must be bathed and clothed properly for his return."

 

"Very well. I'll see you at the evening meal, Inuyasha. Go."

 

Inuyasha scampered into Kashi's arms and grinned at him as they left room, the female giving Sesshomaru a sly wink. Sesshomaru chuckled to himself as he went back to his studies.

 

`Little brother, you never cease in putting a smile on my face. That wench mother of yours was a fool not to see what a treasure she had in you, but it has turned out for the better. You're here with Father and me, and no one shall harm you ever again. Not without paying a very dear price. You will have your childhood back. I, Sesshomaru, swear it.'