InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Side of the Sun ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Inutaisho heaved a weary yet satisfied sigh as the warm glow of the palace, his palace, came into view. It had been a long week, filled with extended and boring negotiations and the preparations for a possible war. The kingdoms along the shoreline were becoming restless and had begun to dispute borders, each wanting to expand into the other's territory. Both kingdoms were nestled near the border of his realm and his brother Akira's realm. There also had been a rumour that there was a possible invasion of both kingdoms by an outside source. It had caught his and Akira's attention and needed to be tended to, especially after a noble in Akira's court had pledged support to one of the squabbling nobles. As the lord of said nobles, InuTaisho had felt it to be his duty and responsibility to intervene and try to make peace before innocent people lost their lives needlessly.
 
The prospect of war did not please InuTaisho. He didn't want to head into battle or be involved in a possible invasion. War and invasions meant he'd be away from home for long periods of time. He'd be away from his family . . . He knew that Sesshomaru would be able to act in his stead, as he had done when InuTaisho had gone to visit Inuyasha. The silver-haired prince had proven himself to be more than quite capable in handling the daily affairs of the palace.
 
`It's Inuyasha I'm worried about,' he thought as he rode into the castle proper. Two servants ran up to greet him, one to “assist” him as he dismounted, the other to lead his dragonet back to the stables. He had just entered the main hall when a flash of deep blue and silver appeared before him, leaping with arms outstretched. Tiny yet limber arms wrapped around his neck in a tight hug. InuTaisho felt a laugh escape him as he returned the embrace. Behind him came Sesshomaru and Kashi, the youkai female he'd assigned to be Inuyasha's nursemaid. His heir had an amused expression on his face while Kashi smiled nervously, her hands wringing some. InuTaisho smiled.
 
“Oh, my boy,” he murmured. “How I've missed you . . . Have you missed me, too?”
 
Inuyasha nodded, a large smile stretching from one side of his face to the other. Though his son's golden-amber eyes shone with mirth and relief, InuTaisho couldn't help but feel a small twinge of disappointment. He'd hoped that Inuyasha would be speaking by the time he'd returned home. Shinsei had assured him that there was nothing wrong with Inuyasha or his ability to speak, that he should have been talking by this point.
 
`Perhaps there is more to why he's not,' he mused as he adjusted Inuyasha in his arms. `He's been doing very well in his studies. His tutors have told me as much . . . Perhaps it's time I found out what's troubling my son.'
 
“Have you been behaving yourself?” he inquired, knowing very well that Inuyasha had. Always helpful, never pulling any childish pranks . . . InuTaisho couldn't have asked for a more well-mannered, well-behaved child than Inuyasha. And that was saying something, considering his older brother had been just as well-mannered and well-behaved!
 
“If he's anything like his father then the answer's no,” a male voice joked. “However, I'm sure there's always an exception in each family.”
 
InuTaisho laughed as he turned to face the four male figures that had followed him into the palace proper and entered a few paces behind him. All four stood as tall as he, and had long, flowing silver hair, but only three had amber eyes and elongated ears that displayed their full youkai status. The fourth had blue eyes and a set of triangular ears resting atop his head. Also, of the four, he had no facial markings, nothing to denote his royal status. But all four of them held a very dear place in InuTaisho's heart, as did his sons and his mate.
 
The oldest of these youkai was his father, Rei Inu, a male who had lived at least eight thousand years. With a blue crescent moon in the center of his forehead, Rei Inu had an imposing figure despite his fragile appearance. He had a very commanding presence and aura. Even the bravest of demons trembled before him.
 
Next was his oldest brother, Kenmaru. From their mother, Kenmaru had inherited two violet-hued stripes on each of his cheeks and his arms. As the oldest of Rei Inu's sons, Kenmaru had inherited the Southern Lands of Japan when their father had stepped down as ruler, and made his home in the mountain ranges. Rei Inu had made the mountain palace his permanent home with Kenmaru, occasionally staying with his younger sons for indefinite periods of time and at his leisure but mainly stayed in the South.
 
Akira had been born next, inheriting their father's crescent moon facial marking as well as a single blue stripe on each cheek and arm. Rei Inu had left the soft-spoken youkai the Northern Lands, well aware of Akira's love for the colder climates.
 
Finally, there was Hiroshi, a son that had been born to their father's second mate. A mate that had been human. Out of the four of them, Hiroshi was the youngest . . . and the heir to the Eastern Lands. All of them had a hard lead to follow, for Rei Inu had been a wise and crafty ruler and had reigned for many thousands of years before he stepped aside for his sons. But they were his family . . . and Inuyasha's.
 
`It's time that they met,' he affirmed to himself.
 
“Fortunately, Kenmaru, he isn't like his father,” InuTaisho smirked. “And he isn't like any other member of his family so I don't know where he gets it from.”
 
“Doesn't matter where he gets his mannerisms from,” his father intoned. “As long as he can do this family proud. Now bring the boy to me. I wish to see him.”
 
“Of course,” InuTaisho murmured, bowing slightly. Inuyasha had tensed up during the entire exchange, his frame rigid . . . yet he gazed at his relatives intently, curiosity glinting in his amber eyes. He strode over to his father and brothers, holding his youngest towards them to see. “Father, this is my youngest son, Inuyasha. Inuyasha, I'd like for you to meet your uncles Kenmaru, Akira, and Hiroshi . . . and your grandfather, Rei Inu.”
 
He glanced at Inuyasha who had lifted his gaze to him. The child then looked at Hiroshi then back to him, one hand going to his ears. InuTaisho smiled at the boy's silent question.
 
“Yes, Inuyasha. He's hanyou. Same as you.”
 
“The child doesn't speak?” Rei Inu raised an eyebrow.
 
“No, Father,” InuTaisho sighed. “He does not. Why, we haven't been able to discover yet. We've been more concerned with easing his fears, earning his trust, and getting him started in his studies. It hasn't been an easy task, considering Izayoi did nothing to help the boy.”
 
“So you've said,” the ancient daiyoukai frowned. Then he held his arms out. “Let me see the boy.”
 
InuTaisho handed his son over to his father, noting the fearful glance Inuyasha gave him. He nodded in reassurance to the child. His father raised an eyebrow at that as well then shook his head, as if to dismiss it. Once Inuyasha was in his arms, Rei Inu balanced the child on his hip then nodded to himself.
 
“Well, he's healthy,” the daiyoukai finally announced. “Should be a little heavier but I don't suppose it can't be helped. You do eat everything that's given to you, don't you, boy?”
 
Inuyasha's head bobbed up and down slowly. At the silent affirmation, Rei Inu grasped the youth's chin and lifted it up so that they made eye contact.
 
“My dear child,” he murmured. “When I ask you a question, I expect to hear an answer. Either a “Yes, Sir,” or a “Yes, Grandfather.” None of this nodding nonsense. Do I make myself clear, Inuyasha?”
 
His son's eyes widened, fear and panic shimmering in them. InuTaisho's heart wrenched at the sight and he started to reach for the small hanyou.
 
“Father . . .”
 
“Tai, I expect an answer from this boy and I shall get one, even if I have to spank him to do so.”
 
“You will not touch my son,” InuTaisho growled. He couldn't believe this was happening. It wasn't how he had wanted this meeting to go nor how he had expected it to. He'd told his father everything that they knew about what Inuyasha had endured at the hands of his mother and the palace servants. How could he even think to threaten Inuyasha with physical punishment?
 
Inuyasha's lithe form already trembled at the threat. Rei Inu tore his gaze away from Inuyasha to give him a stern glare.
 
“I shall and I will if this child does not answer me, Tai. I expect a verbal answer to any question that I ask, especially if the person is more than capable of talking. I've never made any exception to this rule and I'm not about to start. Now . . .” he glanced back at the child he held, “Inuyasha. Do you eat everything you're given at meals?”
 
InuTaisho felt helpless as tears formed in Inuyasha's eyes. He knew his son feared being punished and would go to any lengths to make sure that he wouldn't be. With his father's threat hanging over the child . . . InuTaisho didn't believe he could get the boy away from Rei Inu in time.
 
A shaky sigh escaped Inuyasha as he opened his mouth. InuTaisho's heart skipped a beat as Inuyasha struggled to form the words that Rei Inu wanted to hear. The boy cringed and grimaced the entire time. What had caused this struggle in his son, he couldn't say. He could only wait and see which side of Inuyasha would prevail. The side that refused to speak or the side that didn't want to be punished for anything. Then, with tears streaming down his cheeks, Inuyasha's back straightened as he whispered, “Yes, Grandfather.”
 
“What was that Inuyasha? I couldn't hear you.”
 
“Yes, Grandfather,” he stated, his voice becoming a little louder and a little stronger.
 
“Very good,” Rei Inu smiled, kissing the boy's forehead. “That's much better, pup.”
 
“Inuyasha,” InuTaisho murmured. His heart felt like it would burst at any moment, the joy of hearing his son speaking so great that he thought he would weep. He reached for his son once more, only to have his father slap his hands away.
 
“InuTaisho, the evening meal will be served within the next hour,” the old man scolded. “You need a bath and a change of clothing.” He then leveled a glare at the rest of his sons. “As do the rest of you. Is this how I raised you? To go traipsing around, smelling of pig? All of you stink! Correct, Inuyasha?”
 
“Yes, Grandfather,” Inuyasha agreed, his tears drying and a smile threatening to overtake him. Behind him, InuTaisho heard Sesshomaru choke on his own laughter. His jaw, however, dropped at Inuyasha's agreement with his father.
 
“Traitor,” he teased, tousling the boy's hair. Rei Inu smirked.
 
“Don't tarry, Tai. We'll be waiting. Won't we, Inuyasha?”
 
Having said that and not waiting for the child to answer, Rei Inu breezed by him, Inuyasha still balanced on his hip.
 
“What about you, Father? Surely, you'd like a hot bath as well,” InuTaisho called out to him.
 
“Unlike you boys, I've been in the area all day,” came the reply. “So I've taken already taken one. See you at the evening meal, boys!”
 
* * *
 
Rei Inu cast a small glance at the boy he carried in his arms. The child still feared him. Of that, he had no doubts.
 
`Perhaps I shouldn't have pushed him like that,' he mused. `Not a good way to earn his trust. Ah well. The sooner he knows what I expect of him, the better off he'll be.'
 
He continued walking he reached a stone terrace overlooking one of the gardens. He found a marble bench then sat down, Inuyasha becoming cradled in his lap. Once the boy was settled in comfortably, Rei Inu began.
 
“I'm sorry, child, that I had to scare you like that. But the healer has assured your father that was nothing wrong with you, that there was no reason for you not to speak. He's told me as much. I did what I felt I had to do. Only those who are truly mute have the excuse not to talk. Now tell me . . . how come you've never spoken before?”
 
“Grandfather told me not to,” came the quiet response. “He'd beat me every time I made a sound.”
 
“And why did he do that?” Rei inquired, feelings of rage starting to boil within him. It didn't take him long to figure out why his youngest grandson remained mute.
 
“He said no one wanted to hear me talk . . . that no one cared about what I had to say.”
 
“So you wouldn't talk in front of him . . . that way he wouldn't beat you . . .”
 
“So no one would beat me . . . but they still did. Every day unless Father was coming to visit me. I always knew when Father was coming.”
 
“Because they stopped beating you,” Rei stated flatly.
 
“They also gave me medicines and good food to eat . . . not the food they normally gave me. But I wasn't allowed to speak when Father was around, either. They didn't want him to know what was going on.”
 
Rei Inu took a deep breath then let it out. He had to remain calm. He had to. Inuyasha had been terrorized enough to last him several lifetimes. And what saddened the former demon lord was his grandchild wasn't even six summers old.
 
“I want you to listen to me, Inuyasha, and listen to me carefully. Around here, children are to laugh and play and attend to their studies. No more silence. Do I make myself clear?”
 
“Hai, Grandfather.”
 
“Please . . . call me Grandfather Rei.”
 
* * *
 
InuTaisho smiled softly as he gazed at the slumbering forms of his father and his youngest. They had bonded rather quickly in a very short amount of time. When they'd arrived at the evening meal, there had been no sign that Inuyasha had ever been in tears, and the child had laughed. Had actually laughed, a rarity unto itself. He'd given his father a questioning glance. Rei Inu had merely shrugged and smiled then kept Inuyasha at his side for the entire meal and the rest of the evening.
 
“They're both scamps,” a voice commented softly. “He's going to be an interesting influence on your son. You know that, don't you?”
 
“No worse than what we ever were and no more than what he's been to us,” he chuckled. “Besides, I can't complain. I shouldn't complain. He got my son to talk and to laugh. Granted, it wasn't much, but it's more than what we've been able to do since he's been here.”
 
“Can't ask for anything more than that, can you?”
 
“No,” he shook his head. “Can't ask for more than that . . . You think that Father might spoil him.”
 
“It's possible . . .” Akira licked his lips. “I mean, he'll probably go easier on Inuyasha because of everything he's gone through . . . but I don't think he'll spoil him. He was never much for having spoiled and pampered grandchildren. You did notice what Inuyasha called him, didn't you?”
 
“Hai . . . Grandfather Rei . . .”
 
“He's never allowed any of his grandchildren to call him that,” Akira murmured. “It's always been Grandfather.”
 
“I know. Makes me wonder what they talked about . . . I shouldn't have waited too long between children,” InuTaisho shook his head. “Too many mistakes have been made.”
 
“And learned from. Tai, you've done an amazing job with this child and in a short amount of time. You've done an amazing job with Sesshomaru as well. I have never seen two pups behave the way that they do. I practically have to threaten mine to get them to play together! No regrets. Understand?”
 
“Hai,” he chuckled. “No regrets.”
 
“Now get some sleep,” Akira told him. “You've been gone for an entire week. I have no doubts that your son will want your attention tomorrow.”
 
“You mean if Father doesn't keep him for himself for the day?” he winked.
 
“If Father doesn't keep him for himself for the day,” Akira conceded. “Good night, my brother.”
 
“Good night, my brother.”
 
They parted ways, Akira heading for the southern part of the castle and InuTaisho to the northern part. He'd gotten close to his room when the scent of a human female approaching him from behind caught his attention. Raising an eyebrow in suspicion, he turned to face a girl of about sixteen summers. She bowed immediately.
 
“Forgive me, my Lord. I do not wish to intrude.”
 
“Your intrusion is forgiven,” he replied. “However, I can't help be curious as to why you are here. What are you doing out this late?”
 
“My Lord, there is something I need to tell you . . .”
 
* * *
 
“You can't do this!” Sesshomaru hissed, his eyes narrowed at his father. “Not now! It isn't fair to Inuyasha!”
 
The daiyoukai merely gazed at him with a cool expression. Kashi trembled behind him, the salty scent of water filling his nostrils. Somehow, his father had found out about his trysts with the nursemaid and had just suggested that it be formally arranged then announced that she would be Sesshomaru's mate. Not that he was displeased with InuTaisho for suggesting it. He had intended to ask his father in a few years, and had feared that such a request would anger his father. To know that his father would accept it pleased him. However, it was still too soon. Inuyasha still needed Kashi, and he relied heavily on the demoness for most of his emotional support.
 
“Believe me, Sesshomaru, I know,” his father finally stated. “And I don't make this decision lightly, either.”
 
“Then why? Why are you doing this?” he demanded. “Why now? Don't you know how much Inuyasha needs her?”
 
“Because . . .” InuTaisho sighed then continued, “Because I want him to be proud of who and what he is. I also want him to be able to understand that he can trust humans.”
 
“He can't trust humans!”
 
“Nor can he trust all demons,” the older youkai pointed out softly. “He is of both worlds yet can never be truly a part of either. Inuyasha is still young enough to get over his fear and mistrust of humans. Not all humans will mistreat him. My decision on this matter is final. I thought that you, of all people, would be pleased by this arrangement.”
 
Sesshomaru softened then sighed. His father had a point. The hanyou child would eventually need to overcome his fear and mistrust of humans. It wouldn't do for the child of royal birth to be afraid. A human nursemaid was in order. He just didn't like the thought of his brother, and Kashi, being hurt by this. They loved each, as anyone could see.
 
“It's just happening too soon, Father. I would have liked to have waited a few more years.”
 
“Time waits for no one, Sesshomaru, least of all you and me. Right now, there is talk of war and I'd like to make sure that, should anything happen to me, you will be mated with someone who makes you happy and will give you an heir or two, and that there'll always be someone there for Inuyasha. I'm not saying Kashi can't spend time with him. She can. She's just no longer his nursemaid.”
 
“I know . . .”
 
“Do not worry anymore over your brother's nursemaid, Sesshomaru. Your mother has agreed to oversee the girl and make sure that she does her job properly,” InuTaisho smiled. “Her suggestion.”
 
“Mother . . . suggested that?” Sesshomaru blinked. “I thought she wasn't going to be a mother to Inuyasha.”
 
“She isn't,” came the flat statement. “But, when I was trying to decide what to do, I talked with her and she gave me some advice. She also wants to make sure that Inuyasha is treated accordingly for someone of his birth. He may never act according to how she perceives a prince should act . . . but he'll at least look like a prince.”
 
“I don't understand . . .”
 
“You will, Sesshomaru. You will.”
 
* * *
 
“Stop moving about, Inuyasha,” Yashira's voice commanded softly. “Your father will be here any moment. It won't do for a prince to keep squirming about.”
 
“Yes, Lady Yashira,” he replied automatically, doing his best to stand in place. Since Kashi had been replaced by a human female and his stepmother had started overseeing his care a little more, Inuyasha had developed an understanding with the inu demoness. It had been a rough start, at first. It had especially been so after the human female had tried to put on his first pair of shoes and they had cut into his feet, bloodying them. But things had smoothed over. Then his father had left, riding off for battle. That had been three months ago. On rare occasions, the daiyoukai returned for a brief visit but then had to be gone again. Such was the way of war, Sesshomaru had told him, though everyone knew just how much those months had been torture on Inuyasha. He'd missed his father greatly and had already mentally formed the plans of everything he wanted to show his father once InuTaisho was home for good. Towards the end of the third month, Inuyasha had started to despair and begun to think that the war would last forever. Then it happened. One of InuTaisho's generals, a long-time friend named NatsuMaru, had returned home, declaring victory for the daiyoukai and had given a date for when InuTaisho would be home. That alone had excited the boy beyond belief and he'd helped Yashira as much as he could with the preparations for his father's return.
 
“Give him a break, Mother,” Sesshomaru chuckled some, a rare jewel from his brother. “He's just a pup.”
 
“A pup who would like nothing more than to pounce on his father the instant he sees him,” she stated calmly. “Pup or not, there are times he needs to be still. And he is getting to be a little too big to be pouncing on your father every time he returns home. Correct, Inuyasha?”
 
“Yes, Lady Yashira,” he agreed, keeping an eye out for the silver-haired youkai lord. He didn't really care if he could pounce on his father every time or not. He just wanted his father home, wanted to feel completely safe and secure. He didn't feel that way when the daiyoukai was gone. A howl in the distance alerted them to the demon lord's arrival . . .
 
* * *
 
TsukuYouMaru fought back a growl and a sigh as his new Lord's youngest son crept into the room, crawled into InuTaisho's lap, and made himself comfortable. It annoyed him endlessly when the child was around. Though Inuyasha barely made a noise when he entered the room and never disrupted the meetings, he still struck TsukuYouMaru as a spoiled and pampered prince, always needy and accustomed to getting whatever he wanted. Why he felt that way, he wasn't sure. It had probably been the way Inuyasha clung to his father. And it had only been seven days since he and his family had arrived at the palace as conquests of war.
 
`I shouldn't complain, even to myself,' he silently berated himself. `Lord InuTaisho has been very kind to us. I should be thankful for all he's done.'
 
InuTaisho had been more than kind to him and his family. The inuyoukai could have turned him into a slave and sold off his family. Instead, as if he had detected something within TsukuYouMaru, InuTaisho had made the bat demon an advisor in his court. The daiyoukai had also given his wife, Kira, a job in the palace as well . . . to assist Inuyasha's other nursemaid, a girl called Kiki. The bat youkai hadn't liked it but he did have a good idea as to why InuTaisho had done it. Kira was human, and the two of them had a hanyou daughter, Shiori. Inuyasha was hanyou and not that much older than her, either.
 
`Kiki probably doesn't have much experience with children,' he reasoned, inspecting the inu hanyou closer than he normally would, surprised that a child could look so pale and fragile. `Especially with hanyous. Kira can help her . . . and why does this child look so exhausted?'
 
“Is there something wrong, TsukuYouMaru?”
 
“N-no,” he stammered, his thoughts broken through. “Why do you ask, my Lord?”
 
“You're staring at my son,” InuTaisho chuckled dryly, humourlessly. “That's why.”
 
“He's tired, my Lord,” he replied without thinking. “He has dark circles under his eyes.”
 
The daiyoukai frowned then grasped Inuyasha's chin so that he could see the child's face. Inuyasha had nearly fallen asleep and only opened his eyes when InuTaisho shifted.
 
“Hey,” the daiyoukai smiled. “If you're tired, maybe you should go to your room and take a nap. That sound good?”
 
“No,” Inuyasha yawned, curling up closer to his father. “Don't want to go there . . .”
 
“And why not?” InuTaisho raised an eyebrow. TsukuYouMaru thought he had detected surprise in the daiyoukai's eyes and tone.
 
“Grandfather keeps waking me up,” the boy murmured, his eyes fluttering shut.
 
“Grandfather? Inuyasha, are you having dreams about your grandfather? From when you lived with him?” the daiyoukai inquired, concern furrowing his brow. TsukuYouMaru watched intently and in fascination at this display. Inu youkai were notoriously protective over their offspring, more so than others, he having been dangerously close to being torn apart by a female inuyoukai protecting her pups several years ago. But he'd never heard of one becoming overly protective because of a dream.
 
“No,” the child yawned again. “He's waking me up at night.”
 
InuTaisho bit his lower lip, a conflict arising in his eyes. TsukuYouMaru crossed the room and knelt in front of his Lord. He may not have cared too much about the boy, but after all the kindness the daiyoukai had shown him, the least he could do was offer whatever help he could.
 
“And why is he waking you up?” the advisor questioned, giving InuTaisho a reassuring nod. By now, the other advisors had gathered around, all of them curious. Like him, some of them had come to the castle as the conquests of war. The others had been there since InuTaisho had taken over.
 
“Been apologizing to me . . . every night . . . since you've been home . . .”
 
With that, Inuyasha fell asleep, nestled snugly in his father's arms. When TsukuYouMaru glanced at his Lord, he saw a troubled and concerned expression.
 
“My Lord,” he began.
 
“Yes?”
 
“Why would Rei Inu be apologizing to Inuyasha?” He'd met the ancient daiyoukai a few days ago and the demon did not appear to be the apologetic type.
 
“He wasn't talking about my father . . . If you listen to him when he talks about my father, he always says Grandfather Rei, never Grandfather . . . He was referring to his human grandfather, Tatsu.”
 
TsukuYouMaru frowned. Inuyasha's human grandfather? During his week at the palace, the only humans he'd seen Inuyasha have any close contact with were Kira and Kiki. And none of the human females living there dressed as royalty. Some of them were of noble lineage but nothing befitting InuTaisho's status, and TsukuYouMaru didn't think the youkai lord would keep Inuyasha's mother as a servant. Not with the way he doted on his son.
 
“I know, TsukuYouMaru. You haven't seen Inuyasha's mother here at all and I pray you never do. For if I see her, I'll kill her.”
 
Before he could ask why, another advisor spoke up, his eyes troubled.
 
“My Lord, there's a messenger coming,” he announced. “And a monk.”