InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Side of the Sun ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“TsukuYouMaru, what is going on? Why are we out here?”
 
At the whispered inquiry, the bat demon merely shrugged but kept his gaze focused on the main gate to the palace. Lord Kenmaru had summoned all of the palace's advisors the day before, and he suspended nearly all of their duties, including the children's lessons. He then ordered them into a ground-sweeping preparation process, though the demon lord refused to tell anyone but Prince Inuyasha and Captain NatsuMaru why. The palace was then in a state of chaos as the cleaning maids scrubbed the walls and floors ferociously, the cooks started preparing meats and a variety of fruits and vegetables, and the guards kept a watchful eye to the east. The inner and outer walls of the palace were then decorated with bright colours, as if they were going to receive a very important visitor.
 
Now all were gathered to the main gates, the Lord InuTaisho's banners hoisted high and waving in the light breeze caressing the cheeks of the assembled. Lord Kenmaru stood in the forefront, Prince Inuyasha at his side. Both were dressed elegantly, much like the royalty they were. If a person did not know the history of the small boy, one would have thought he was Kenmaru's son with the way he held himself. In watching them, TsukuYouMaru felt like they were expecting a person of great importance to arrive, someone like the Lord InuTaisho himself.
 
`We probably are,' he mused, trying to shake his sensation of dread. `He never said when he and Lord Rei Inu would return with Lady Yashira and Lord Sesshomaru.'
 
The bat demon inhaled deeply and discreetly, hoping to get his anxiety under control. He knew the last few days had been unusually difficult, especially since Lord Kenmaru had changed the study sessions around so Inuyasha was not in most of the classes, and several of the advisors were not happy with the new arrangement. They were the same ones involved in the young prince's daily humiliation and subsequent torture, and most of them were convinced the boy told Lord Kenmaru what had been happening. TsukuYouMaru said nothing to them, obeying Lord Kenmaru's commands for silence and teaching Inuyasha explicitly. The bat demon also found he had no complaints in tutoring the small boy he had once been against.
 
At first, TsukuYouMaru believed Prince Inuyasha would be somewhat difficult to deal with, given how he had initially treated the child during lessons. The boy would have felt justified in making his life difficult, in TsukuYouMaru's estimation, and the bat demon steeled himself for the worst.
 
Rather, he received wariness and quiet mistrust from the small prince, something the bat demon knew he deserved. Fortunately for him, Inuyasha's personal feelings did not interfere with his desire to learn. The boy absorbed knowledge the way a sponge soaked up water, and he even asked TsukuYouMaru about the bat demon caves. Nothing was off-limits when it came to the boy's inquisitive nature. Inuyasha's ability to grasp new knowledge astounded TsukuYouMaru, and he felt pleased to have been proven wrong about the boy. As a result, he enjoyed meeting with the young prince.
 
TsukuYouMaru blinked and inhaled another deep breath, his gaze still focused on the main gates, but his eyes traveled to Lord Kenmaru and Prince Inuyasha every so often, noticing how they hardly moved even though they stood tall and proud. The only telltale sign Inuyasha was feeling anything at all was the flicking of his ears. The furry appendages twitched and swiveled, turning every which way. It was as if they were trying to capture every sound possible, and the bat demon though the actions were somewhat adorable, even deserving of a reward of some kind.
 
A low howl could be heard in the distance, answering TsukuYouMaru's thoughts, and all in waiting straightened their backs so they looked like they were standing even taller than they were before. Like everyone gathered, TsukuYouMaru recognized the howl as belonging to Lord InuTaisho. It was the same sound the daiyoukai had let out when he had returned from conquering TsukuYouMaru's people and killing the bat demon's ancient father. Wherever he had gone with his father, his mate, and his son, Lord InuTaisho was returning triumphant once again.
 
TsukuYouMaru hoped the daiyoukai's joy would still be there when the reprimands to the conspiring advisors were dealt out. He and the other advisors were already in dangerous territory, and the bat demon did not like the idea one bit.
 
`We'll just have to wait and see,' he thought. `We'll just have to wait and see.'
 
* * *
 
InuTaisho clenched his hands together, his claws digging into the flesh of his palms and drawing blood. He had known for some time his newer advisors did not truly like his youngest son. They thought Inuyasha to be an overly pampered prince, one who seemed to get away with anything and everything, and InuTaisho had hoped to somehow prove them wrong. That hope had been the only reason why he had agreed to allowing some of the newer advisors tutoring privileges for the children residing in the palace, including Inuyasha. His hopes had been betrayed.
 
“He's quite the stubborn child, Inuyasha is. Stubborn and quite clever,” his father commented. Rei Inu's words broke into InuTaisho's thoughts, and he glanced at the old dog. “You should be quite proud.”
 
“Proud?” InuTaisho echoed. “Father, how do you figure I should be proud? My advisors abused their privileges as instructors, and they hurt my son. The child never even spoke a word of what was going on!”
 
“He endured their torments, InuTaisho. He endured and persevered.”
 
“He should not have done so. He should have said something to Kenmaru or NatsuMaru.”
 
“And now you're starting to pamper him.”
 
“What?” InuTaisho turned and glared at his father, shocked the old dog would even suggest a thing. He did not pamper his children. Rei Inu returned the stare.
 
“You're pampering your son by teaching him to run to you or others every time he has a problem with someone, and you'll deal with it, even though you know you cannot be there to protect him every single time.”
 
“Father, he should not have endured any more abuse. He's already seen enough.”
 
“I agree. He's seen enough and should not have to endure more,” the old dog said. “However, he should also be able to fight his own battles. Inuyasha is not a weak child, my son, and he has proven just that. You should be proud of him for not letting those advisors win over him.”
 
“Win over him?”
 
“They wanted him to throw a fit over their treatment of him. Those were their goals. TsukuYouMaru admitted as much, but Inuyasha did not want to succumb to their wants.”
 
“No . . . he did not . . . It was their own actions that brought Kenmaru's attention upon them.”
 
“Precisely.” His father smiled. “You would do well to point that fact out should they start to complain about the predicament they have created for themselves.”
 
InuTaisho smiled in spite of himself. His father was correct, of course, on all accounts. The advisors in question had caught themselves in their own trap because of Inuyasha's silence, and his son had done well in enduring. He knew he could not demean his son's efforts in any way. He unclenched his hands, the small wounds healing almost instantly.
 
“Point well made, Father.”
 
“Good. Now go find your son. I am sure he misses you as much as he's missed Yashira and Sesshomaru.”
 
“Yes, Father. Whatever you say.”
 
* * *
 
Sesshomaru closed his eyes and allowed himself the tiniest of smiles. Inuyasha rested against him, worn out from the story telling and the tickling session. The boy had missed him greatly while he had been away, and Sesshomaru had missed him as well. It felt good to be home and to have his half-brother close by. At least Inuyasha did not judge him or hold any high expectations of him. The boy loved him unconditionally, like his intended did, and the knowledge of how much Inuyasha adored him helped Sesshomaru to pull through the worst of his trials. Thoughts of his brother lent Sesshomaru strength when he needed it and compassion where it was required. Such instances had earned Sesshomaru some bouts of mockery, but, when the trials were over, Sesshomaru stood taller than the rest.
 
Inuyasha wriggling closer to him brought Sesshomaru back to the present, and the prince's smile grew a little wider. He was definitely glad to be home and with his brother, especially since he had survived his trials and passed the tests he had been issued.