InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The day I saved him ❯ The plan? ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters of InuYasha, except those I make up along the way(like Kazu)
Chapter- III
“ Why don't you take a seat? This could take a while.”
Kagome took a seat on the plush arm chair placed beside the bed. She looked down at Sesshoumaru's prone form and then up at Kazu, waiing for him to begin his illuminating explanation. Kazu cleared his throat nervously, growing guiltier by the minute.
“You know, Mr.Takahashi hasn't had an easy life,” he began, his voice solemn and narrative as if he were reciting some long ago forgotten tale of woe and misery. Kagome couldn't help admiring his innate sense for the drama and waited patiently to hear what he was going to say next. But he seemed unable to go on any further, letting the sentence hang in the air like some overhanging cloud. The silence stretched deeper into the room, curling around her like some frustrated vine. She was loath to prod him to continue, for she was sure that was what he was waiting for. Nonetheless, if she was to sleep sanely tonight, she had to get the whole story out of him.
“Go on.”
“Well, Mr. Takahashi has not been long in this business. He embarked on his movie career only last January, after having completed a successful career as a fashion model for some of the top companies in the elite fashion world. His new movie which released last September was a big hit, garnering him fans as far and wide as India. He has acted in several top TV dramas as well. Have you seen Mr. Kishu? No? He was critically acclaimed in his role as Mr. Sano Kishu. In fact-“
“I hate to interrupt your speech regarding Mr.Takahashi's accomplishments, but could you please get to the part where he and I, apparently, started dating?”
“Yes, yes, uh, certainly. Well you see, although Mr.Takahashi is viewed highly in the movie business for his stellar performances, he has, what most people would call as a black cloud hanging over his name.”
“What do you mean?” Kagome asked, instantly curious.
“Well, he is really bad at relationships.”
“He has never had a girlfriend?”
“He has had many beautiful girls surround him like bees to honey, but none that have stayed long enough to really savor the taste of the honey.”
“Why?”
“Well, he had a steady girlfriend last year, but they broke up soon after he signed the movie deal. It didn't end well.”
“What happened?”
“His ex was pregnant you see, and she wanted him to marry her. But he wanted to follow his career and his passion. So he dumped her.”
“Eventhough she was pregnant with his baby?” Kagome frowned disapprovingly. Her high opinion of this Sesshoumaru guy sank a notch. She hated guys like this, who knocked up girls and then refused to do the right thing by them. They were scoundrels, in her opinion, taking their pleasure and never facing up to the consequences.
“She told him it was his, and he was ready to give up his career, when he found out the baby was not his. You see, there wasn't even a baby to begin with, She had lied to keep him from leaving her. So he dumped her. She couldn't take it.”
“What did she do?”
“He was already famous from his modeling career at that point. He had conquered almost every milestone he had set out to conquer; the only one left was show business. So she vowed to dump his acting career down the toilet. She spread rumors that he had beaten her and sexually abused her while they were going out. The rumors sent the paparazzi into a frenzy, and they swarmed Sesshoumaru for days on end, trying to get some juicy tid bit to exaggerate in their media.”
“But that wasn't enough for that cold-hearted bitch. She filed a case against him for rape and attempted murder. She even hurt herself and displayed her bruises at the hearing proudly.”
Kagome sank back against the chair, too taken aback to say anything. How could people be so cruel? So twisted?
“What happened? How did you prove her wrong?”
“Well, there was no evidence against her. She had her pitiful bruises and we had our protests to the opposite. Not much of a quandary for the judge to ponder upon. But she hadn't counted upon one thing: her past eventually catching up with her. You see, she wasn't exactly right in the head, and she had been admitted to the Koushi Mental Hopsital for several weeks before she met Sesshoumaru, where she underwent rigorous counseling and electroconvulsive therapy after being admitted for psychotic behavior after she had a nervous breakdown. I don't know how she did it, but somehow she convinced the doctors that she was well again and they discharged her. It was a week later that she met Sesshoumaru and a week later when they became seriously involved. But, by then her condition had deteriorated to such an extent that she imagined herself to be pregnant. She turned violent when Sesshoumaru disagreed with her.”
“Later, during the trial Sesshoumaru mentioned this episode to his Lawyer, who took immediate steps to prove in court that she was too mentally imbalanced to actually condemn anyone. The judge ruled in Sesshoumaru's favor.”
“But the real trouble began only after that. You see, the court proceedings were held extremely confidential and the press didn't get one word regarding what had happened to acquit Sesshoumaru. So they created their own stories, adding exaggerations and false rumors about Sesshoumaru's violent behavior and how the poor victim was so traumatized by his behavior that she had to be admitted to a mental centre. All bullshit! However Sesshoumaru didn't do anything to deny the rumours; he knew that if he tried they would just get more imaginative and attack and destroy every piece of his already disturbed life. So he kept silent about everything, even when a reporter accused him outright of being violent on the sets of his first movie. His career suffered a severe setback because of that. No one was willing to hire a “known abuser” as they started referring to him after that and his fans(especially the girl fans) started dwindling, until they became too small that none of the directors or producers were inspired to take him on. Suddenly he had gone from one of the top actors of his generation to a “whats-his-name” nobody. “
“And because of that,,, you want me to play the part of his girlfriend?”
“You catch on pretty quick, neesan.”
“But why? What can I do for him?”
“You have to deny the rumors. You're the only one who can do it.”
“I don't get it. Why should I be the one to do that? Why can't you hire someone else to do it? Or get one of his girlfriends to do it?”
“Because you're the one.”
“The one what?”
“The one who is a dead ringer of her.” He spit out the last word, his face twisting in barely suppressed disgust.
“What? How can I…? I don't get it.”
“Wait.”
He shifted in his chair and stuffed his hand inside his coat pockets. His face was scrunched up in concentration as he shuffled through pieces of paper and various other insignificant items. He dumped the contents of his pocket on the small coffee table before him, and ruffled through it until he came upon a unstamped envelope addressed to him. He picked it up and flipped open the flap. He pulled out a small photo, which he handed over to her. She reluctantly took it and turned the picture. A small gasp escaped her lips and she stared with astonished eyes at the woman portrayed in the picture. She was standing sideways, so only her profile was visible, but Kagome couldn't deny the fact that the girl in the photo looked exactly like her. If Kagome didn't know better, she could've sworn the girl in the photo was her twin.
“You see, you're exactly like her. That's why I want you to act the part of his girlfriend, to counter the rumors and save his career. Will you do it?” His eyebrows raised up in a hopeful expression.
Kagome looked over at the bed, at the mound of bedclothes beneath which lay her stranger - her boyfriend, if she agreed to this ridiculous scheme. She didn't know what to do. She was caught up in a conflict of emotions; she wanted to agree to this scheme so she could get closer to her stranger, but she wanted to refuse it because then all attention would be focused on her. Her life wouldn't be private anymore and she disliked being the centre of attention. She didn't know if she could go in front of everyone and disclaim the rumors, pretend to be someone she was not.
Some of her thoughts must have shown on her face, because Kazu leaned forward and took her hand in his. His voice was gentle and filled with compassion as he said, “ I understand you don't feel comfortable pretending in front of everyone, neesan, but I wouldn't ask it of you if you weren't so similar to her. I need you to do this, please.”
“I don't know… I have a job and I'll be busy taking care of my brother. I don't want him getting involved in any of this. “
“I'll pay you. I'll pay you enough to see you through the end of your life. And don't worry about your brother. I'll take care of him.”
The mention of money made the decision for her. She would like a break from her tedious life and if it meant she would be helping someone put their life to rights, she was sure a little lie was worth it.
Heaving a big sigh, she gave him her answer.
**************************
The corridor outside Sesshoumaru's room was shrouded in darkness. Nary a light penetrated the deep abyss-like atmosphere and the intruder was thankful that he had cut off the hospital's power supply just before entering the building. He was sure that these special wards where they treated the elite of the elite would be on watch 24/7 and he was right. There was security cameras perched on every corner he turned. The intruder searched for the camera nearest to Sesshoumaru's and made sure it was switched off.
The intruder reached Sesshoumaru's door and placed an ear to the door knob. No sound came from within, not even a snore. Sesshoumaru was still out.
The intruder jiggled the knob to see if it was open; it was. He slid on silent feet inside the room, closed the door behind him. Like the hallway outside, the room was enshrouded in utter darkness, except for faint edges of light filtering from the edges of the curtained window. The faint light helped him make out the bed and the mound of bedclothes under which Sesshoumaru lay. He crept silently upto the bed and looked down into the handsome face of his enemy. His lip curled up in a sneer and he stifled the urge to kill him then and there with his own bedclothes. He knew if his plan was to work, he had go slowly. One step at a time, he reminded himself.
He went over to the other side of the bed and examined the IV tube inserted in his hand. He plucked the tube out, causing some of the liquid to splash on the carpeted floor. He stopped the flow with one hand while he searched in his bag with his other hand. He took out a syringe, fitted with a needle and filled with some sort of liquid. He pressed the needle through the cut on his elbow and inserted the liquid into Sesshoumaru's body. Placing the syringe back in his bag, he inserted the IV tube back and rubbed his hands against each other in eager anticipation. He couldn't wait for the drug to take effect.
He walked over to the window and lightly raised the curtain. Dawn streaked across the sky, tingeing the clouds a pale violet. Morning couldn't come soon enough for him.
*****************************
 
A/N: Sorry for the late update. But I got caught up in finals. Hope you like the story so far. Thank you for reading and reviewing(inu inu luvluv)!