InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The day I saved him ❯ broken glass and underwear? ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the InuYasha characters.
A/n: Sorry for the late update, but I got writer's block for this story. Thank you for waiting so long! And I hope you enjoy this chapter!
I would just like to say something. I know sometimes it's confusing that I call Kagome as Kikyo. But from InuYasha's POV he knows her as only Kikyo. So bear with me for this chapter and the next.
Also the pairings for this story are: InuxKag, MiroxSango.
*~*___________________________________________________________*~*
CHAPTER-IX
InuYasha stood in front of the broken bedroom window in Kagome's apartment. He still wasn't convinced that this case was actually real, but now he was calm enough to check it out for its validity. The window was broken and when he looked out he could see broken shards of glass littering the grass in the backyard. He made a note of it in his small notebook and looked around the small room, checking for other clues. He could see disrepair and poverty reflected in almost every corner of the room. He made a mental note to ask Kazu about why she lived such an existence. He knew Kikyo hailed from one of the richest family, not to mention a sophisticated one. His half-brother wouldn't go out with someone who was so far below his own status. For Sesshoumaru lack of a birthright was a far more condemning character trait than arrogance or vanity.
“Did you find anything, Mr. InuYasha?” Sota asked him as he stood on the threshold, clenching and unclenching his hands in excitement. He still couldn't believe the famous detective was investigating his sister's case. It was like a Christmas present given to him by God.
“Nothing that I can see here, kid,” he said, not bothering to turn around. That was another piece of the puzzle that was missing. He knew Kikyo had no brothers or sisters so who was this kid? Why was he here and staying with Kikyo? Another question he would have to ask Kikyo herself.
He checked the window frame and found broken shards stuck to the very bottom of the frame. The frame was painted wait and decorated with bunnies and rainbows in a somewhat childish-nursery room pattern. He kneeled down and gently broke the window frame apart.
A gentle shout of alarm sounded from behind him and he suddenly turned around only to be faced with the fury of a ten-year-old. Sota was glaring at the broken window frame and then at him.
“That was Neesan's favorite thing in the whole world. And you broke it! She'll be mad now.”
A window frame? Sheesh, had he entered into a world of sentimental fools?
“You know, she always said, our mother bought this frame especially for her, when she was only two. She has always loved it and now you went and broke it!” he wailed. His whiny voice was getting on InuYasha's nerves and he was too damn tired to take any more of this.
Thankfully, Miroku walked into the room just then. InuYasha at first was relieved to see his partner. But soon the relief was replaced by anger. Miroku had left the department before him and yet he had reached the crime scene only four hours later? He knew Miroku had played hooky and he wasn't about to forgive him for that.
“Where the HELL have you been?” he shouted at Miroku.”And why haven't you picked up your cell?”
“Something came up, InuYasha. You know how these things are,” he replied casually, giving him an off-hand shrug. He smirked at InuYasha. That smirk usually meant that he had been somewhere, especially with one of his many female friends.
InuYasha felt a burning urge to slap Miroku's smirk from his face. He really hated that his partner was playing hooky while he was doing all the work. And it was salt against his wounds that Miroku could get any woman and he couldn't.
“Well, whatever. Go make yourself useful and interview the victim,” he shooed Miroku away and focused his attention back on the broken frame.
“Am I right in assuming the victim is a beautiful young nineteen-year-old girl with beautiful raven hair and even more beautiful-“
“GO!” InuYasha yelled at him. Miroku really knew how to push his buttons.
“Hey, Mister. What is even more beautiful?” Sota interjected, suddenly curious.
“You know, that luscious little back-“
“Shut up and go!” InuYasha yelled at Miroku. It was just like Miroku to be corrupting the minds of little young kids. He was affronted on behalf of Sota and not because he felt uncomfortable with the thought of Miroku mentioning the backside of the girl he liked. No that was definitely not it. He only felt angry at him because he was teaching this stuff to a little kid. That was all it was.
Oh, how he could fool himself into believing almost anything.
“Okay, okay, InuYasha. Which hospital has she taken her precious little back-?“ Miroku made a mock grope in mid-air.
That's it! He was going to the hospital! And he would query the victim himself. Even if it took all of his self-control to keep his attraction in check.
“I'm going! You!” he pointed one finger at Miroku who looked at him all innocent-like as if he hadn't done anything to goad InuYasha into going to the hospital by himself. ”You stay here and look after the kid and look at the damn window frame!”
“She's gonna be mad!” Sota reminded him as InuYasha walked towards the door.
“I don't care,” was InuYasha's only reply just as Miroku asked, “why is she gonna be mad?”
Sota launched into another explanation of Kikyo and her stupid sentiments toward the stupid window frame. Well! If she really loved it so much, well, he would buy her another one just like it. That should keep her happy and not induce her into another rage to try to kill him.
**********************************************************
Kagome let out a groan as she slowly woke up from her exhausted sleep. She rolled over in bed and gently pried her eyes open. It hurt to open her eyes and a dull ache resounded within her skull, causing her scrunch up her face in pain. She looked at the table beside her bed to check her alarm clock when she found that no table was there. She came fully awake then and sat up in bed, panic rising up in her chest. She looked around herself, wondering where she was, when she caught sight of the tube running up her arm. She looked down at herself and found that she was wearing a hospital gown which was tied up around her back. She twisted her head and looked at her back and found that the hospital robe didn't cover any of it. She could even see her pink underwear through the gaping hole in the back.
She pushed away the bedcovers and got down and walked over to the window. She nudged the glass open with a strong shove and peered out. The sky was cloudy, and darkened with heavy black clouds portending rain. A cool breeze swept in and tugged at the corners of her long raven hair. She shivered from the cold iciness of the wind; but she refused to close the window. She loved the city when it rained. It was more beautiful then. She lifted her face up and closed her eyes, breathing in the deep scent of moisture in the air.
That was how InuYasha found her, with her face lifted up to the sky in a silent offering to the Gods. He experienced a similar sense of déjà vu and shivered from the very sight of it. Then she had been basking in the cool summer sun, now she was basking in the cool winter winds. He couldn't help thinking what a contradiction she was. Then he found his eyes moving involuntarily downwards, towards the pink thing…
Suddenly Kagome turned around, sensing someone watching her. She was startled to see InuYasha standing at the threshold of her room, looking at her with something weird gleaming in his golden eyes. Suddenly she remembered her state of dress and the gaping hole at the back and let out a shrill scream.
“Get out! Get out!” She yelled at him, trying to clutch the back of her robe in a furious attempt to cover her underwear.
InuYasha just managed to close the door when he heard something big hit the door with a force strong enough to make the wood shudder. He still couldn't get the sight of her pink underwear out of his mind. He groaned. Now she would be even more angry with him. And he hadn't even broken the news of her window frame to her. Just great!
**************************************************************
Miroku was looking over the window frame, checking for clues when he found the glass that InuYasha had noticed earlier. He picked up the broken window frame, ignoring Sota cry of protest. He examined the inside of the frame and gently tugged a broken glass shard free. It was stained with something red. He deeply suspected it was blood. He put it into a plastic cover for further examination.
“You know, Kagome is really going to be angry with Mr. InuYasha for breaking her window frame,” Sota said.
“I think he can handle it,” Miroku replied. He knew InuYasha was a bit slow in the girls department and if it was up to Miroku he knew exactly how he would soften up the blow. With silent kiss and the right compliments any kind of anger could be easily softened.
“Kagome doesn't really like guys. Ever since her boyfriend Hojo left her to search for a way to purify his family sword, she has never dated. That's why she is always angry with Mr.InuYasha. I think she actually likes him.”
“Then that would be a mutual attraction.”
“You know, Kagome is doing something with the press. I wonder what it is. She must be doing something secretly. You know, we don't have a lot of money. She must be doing something to get extra money. I wonder what it is. Hmmm,” his voice trailed off and he tapped his chin trying to think about what his sister was doing.
“You really talk a lot, do you know that?”
“Yes, my sister used to always tell me to shut up. But I never can do that. I think I get it from my mother. She was such a nice person. But unfortunately she died last January.”
“Oh, I'm so sorry.”
“My sis is all I have now and I don't know what's going on now but I think she maybe in trouble.”
“Don't' worry, kid. InuYasha will do everything to protect her from harm.”
“I know, Mr.InuYasha is one of the best detectives out there. But something's wrong. You know yesterday I found some of my friends looking at this magazine and there was Kagome staring back at me from one of the photos. She had her arm around a big, silver-haired guy and the caption read `Kikyo and Sesshy back together?' Who is Kikyo?”
“Kikyo..” Miroku's voice trailed off. That name sounded a bell somewhere. Kikyo.. Kikyo… Kikyo… he had definitely heard that name somewhere before.
Suddenly he gasped. That was the name of the girl InuYasha had been in love with. The one dating Sesshoumaru. He now remembered that InuYasha hadn't wanted to talk about it but Miroku knew how to loosen his tongue with a few drinks. That was when the whole sad story had come out.
Then who was this Kagome person? According to Sota, if both looked the same, was the victim Kikyo or was it Kagome? He needed to look into this Kagome person first.
“Come on. Let's take a ride to the police department. We need to check a few things out.”
****************************************************************< /div>
a/n: Next chapter should be up soon. Thank you for reading!