InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Difference a Little Time Can Make ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha. Rumiko Takahashi does. I am not making any money from this.
 
Summary: A butterfly flaps its wings and a tornado occurs on the opposite side of the world. One difference causes a ripple effect, changing everything. What difference can a small change make? What if Inuyasha didn't arrive at Kikyou's village for several weeks? What difference would a little bit of time make? What if he arrived in time to save Kaede from the demons but was mistakenly blamed by Kikyou? What if he never heard of the Shikon no Tama, never had any type of relationship with Kikyou? How would this affect his meeting with Kagome?
 
Author's note: Thank you to everyone who has reviewed so far. Please continue to let me know what you think of this story. I am more likely to update quickly when I am inspired by reviews, otherwise I might lose interest and take a while to post the next chapter. I'm not saying that I won't post if I don't get a certain number of reviews, just that I write faster when I am inspired.
 
Author's note: To those of you who were wondering why Inuyasha didn't try to take the jewel in the previous chapter, he was sealed before he learned about the jewel. In the anime episode “The Tragic Love Song of Destiny” he found out about the jewel after he encountered Kikyou. In this story he was sealed before that could happen. I hope this clears up any confusion.
 
 
The humans continued to stare blankly at one another for a few moments after Inuyasha had departed. Kagome fidgeted nervously, wondering what to do now. At her movement, the villagers snapped out of their shock and pointed their weapons in her direction. Kagome gulped and thought 'Not this again. Can't I catch a break today.' She was broken out of her thoughts when the old woman spoke up.
 
“Lower your weapons. She is no threat to any of you. Are you cowards that the sight of an unarmed girl scares you?”
 
“But Kaede-sama, she is dangerous, she must be a youkai. Don't you see the odd way she is clothed?” One of the men spoke up and Kagome recognized him as one of the men from earlier. Kagome felt her fear increase as she recalled hearing them speak of Kaede earlier, and realized that this old woman was the one who would decide her fate.
 
“Bah! She is no youkai or do you doubt my ability to sense auras? She is no danger to you, now put aside your weapons.”
 
The men began to reluctantly lower their weapons but one man continued to protest. “But Kaede-sama, she is dressed so strangely. And she released that other youkai, the one that Kikyou-sama had imprisoned 50 years ago. How can we just let her go free?”
 
“Enough! I have told you she is no threat. Now quiet, I would speak with her.” And with that Kaede approached where Kagome had been standing and listening to the confrontation.
 
As Kagome watched her approach she remembered the Shikon no Tama and bent down to retrieve it without taking her eyes off of the old miko. 'I should hold onto this for now' she thought as she placed it in her pocket. 'I might be able to use it as a bargaining chip for my life.' She straightened and watched as the one the men called Kaede came closer, and tried not to show how nervous she was.
 
Kaede walked right up to the young girl and grabbed her chin firmly. Turning her face this way and that, she peered closely at her, while ignoring her protests at this treatment. Satisfied at what she observed, Kaede let go of her and asked “Who are you child? How did you come into possession of the Shikon no Tama?”
 
Kagome was angry and stressed out from the events of the day. She was quickly nearing her limit at this point. Hearing the question posed to her she blew up. “I don't know how I got it, I have no idea how or why it was in my body. I don't even know what it is. I don't want to be here. I want you people to just leave me alone. I just want to go home” she yelled out. Several of the village men had begun to raise their weapons at her outburst but Kaede gestured for them to lower them.
 
“Hush child” Kaede soothed. “My name is Kaede and I will try to explain what I know of the Shikon no Tama and my theory of why it is in your possession. But first, may I know your name?”
 
Kagome blushed at the gentle reprimand in the woman's voice. “My name is Kagome, Higurashi Kagome. I apologize for my outburst Kaede-san. I am just a little overwhelmed at the moment.”
 
Kaede chuckled. “That is alright Kagome-san. I understand. I am the resident miko of the village located on the outskirts of this forest. Fifty years ago, my older sister Kikyou, a powerful miko in her own right and the protector of our village, was asked to guard the Shikon no Tama. It is a powerful magic object that is sought after by youkai to increase their power. It is believed to be able to grant any wish or ambition, whether for good or evil. Fifty years ago, my sister was attacked by a powerful youkai and mortally wounded before she drove it off. As she lay dying, she instructed us to burn the jewel with her body so that it would not fall into the wrong hands. She planned to bring it with her to the other world.”
 
As Kaede paused, Kagome asked “But if the jewel was destroyed, then how did I get it? And why was it inside my body?”
 
“I believe you are the reincarnation of my sister. You greatly resemble her and you possess the spiritual powers of a miko. This coupled with the fact that the Shikon no Tama was hidden inside your body, most likely since birth, leads me to believe this theory. I believe that you were born to be the guardian and protector of the jewel. You must not allow it to fall into the hands of those who would use it for evil.”
 
Kagome listened to this with stunned disbelief. 'Reincarnation? Protector of some mystical jewel that is sought by youkai? What have I gotten myself into?' However, part of her mind was still preoccupied, and she couldn't help but wonder about the boy from earlier. 'Who is he? Where did he go? Why was he pinned to the tree in the first place?' She couldn't get him out of her mind. She turned to the old miko next to her and asked. “What about that boy from earlier? Where does he fit into this? Why was he pinned to the tree?”
 
Kaede raised an eyebrow at her questions. 'Is this just curiosity or something more?' The old woman stared at the young girl for a moment before answering her questions. “He made an impression on you, did he? He has that effect. Not much is known about him. His name is Inuyasha and he is a hanyou. Fifty years ago, shortly before Kikyou's death, he saved my life from several youkai who were hoping to use me as leverage against my sister. They wanted to bargain my life for the Shikon no Tama. That is how I lost my eye.” She indicated her injury and continued before Kagome could interrupt. “He had killed the youkai who attacked me and was offering to bring me to the village. That is when Kikyou arrived. She saw him standing over me with blood on his claws and assumed he was the one responsible for my wound. She used her last arrow to seal him against the Goshinboku.”
 
At this point Kagome interrupted. “But why didn't she release him when you told her that he was innocent?”
 
“I did tell her that he was not the one responsible, that he had in fact saved me. Kikyou-oneesan would not release him though. She said it was most likely a trick and that he would turn against the village. She was of the mind that all youkai are evil and not to be trusted.”
 
“But that's not right!” Kagome burst out. “He didn't do anything to her or you. He helped you and was punished for something he didn't do. What is wrong with you people that you would punish someone for something that they didn't do, and treat them so unfairly just because they are different?” She continued to rant for another minute about how unfair their actions were.
 
Kaede sat there in silence and let the young woman rant about the unfairness. She partly agreed with the girl, having always felt some guilt over the hanyou's fate. She said nothing however, because while she might agree, she could now understand her sister's point of view after all of the youkai she has had to fight. Most youkai were blood thirsty creatures who would rather attack you than let you live in peace. She could now understand her sister's decision to leave the hanyou sealed, not knowing what he would do once freed. So once Kagome had finished her tirade instead of agreeing or disagreeing with her Kaede said “It is dangerous to remain out here. It is getting late and will be dark soon. Other youkai will come, attracted by the power of the Shikon no Tama. Come, we will return to the safety of the village.”
 
At the miko's words, Kagome was instantly on edge. Glancing nervously at the men nearby, especially the ones from earlier, she spoke up. “Thank you for the invitation but I have to decline it. I'm going to try to find my way home. I'll be fine by myself.”
 
Kaede shook her head at the girl. “I'm afraid I can't allow that. I must insist that you return to the village with us.”
 
Kagome tried again. “Look Kaede-sama, I really appreciate the offer, but I'd rather not.”
 
“I don't think you understand, Kagome-san. You do not have a choice. You will return to the village with us. We can't afford to let the Shikon no Tama fall into the hands of youkai or anyone else who would use it for evil. And that is what will happen if you remain out here by yourself.” Kaede signaled to the village men. Two quickly approached Kagome from behind and grabbed her arms. “I'm sorry for this but you will eventually see that this is necessary.”
 
Kagome began to struggle as soon as she felt the men grab her. “Let go. I told you I just want to go home. Let go of me!” She was frightened by this turn of events and her fear only increased when she realized that one of the men holding her was the man who had groped her earlier. This only frightened her more about what possible fate awaited her in the village. “LET GO!”
 
 
Meanwhile, Inuyasha had never really left. After he had bounded away from the clearing, he had circled back around, staying out of sight in the high branches of the trees. He had perched on a high branch in a nearby tree where he could see and hear everything in the clearing.
 
Inuyasha found himself drawn to the strange girl who had freed him. He could not get her face and scent out of his mind. Something about her just called to him. He had stayed nearby to see if he could learn more about her. He had sat and listened to everything that was said. Kaede had been too preoccupied with examining Kagome to feel his aura.
 
He heard the girl introduce herself to the old woman. 'Kagome, her name is Kagome.' When he heard the old woman explain about the Shikon no Tama and how it could increase the power of youkai and grant any wish, Inuyasha thought about going down and stealing it for himself. 'With the power of the Shikon no Tama I would be able to become a full youkai. No one, human or youkai, would be able to doubt my power then.' However he was stopped before he could do more than think it. The face of the girl, Kagome, flashed through his mind, her eyes wide and trusting as he promised to protect her. He found he couldn't bring himself to do it and risk harming her. Instead, he sat and continued to listen. He wasn't sure how he felt at hearing that the miko who sealed him was dead. On the one hand he was not able to get revenge, but on the other hand he did not have to worry about her coming after him again. Though he wasn't sure how he felt about Kagome being her reincarnation. He decided to ignore that part for now.
 
His ears perked up when he heard the girl ask about him. 'She wants to know about me? Does she feel it too, this connection between us?' He shook his head. 'No, she probably just wants to know what kind of monster she released' he thought bitterly.
 
He listened to the old woman relay the events leading up to his sealing. He was definitely surprised to learn how long he had been sealed. 'Fifty years?! I was sealed for fifty years? Hard to believe that that old hag down there is the same little kid I saved from the youkai. For me it seems like it was just a few hours ago.' When Kagome asked why he hadn't been released he felt his surprise increase. 'Why does she care? Doesn't she realize I'm a hanyou?' The answer to her question didn't surprise him though. 'Keh. What else can you expect from a bunch of humans?' He was used to being treated like that because of his youkai heritage.
 
However, he was definitely shocked by the girl's anger and outrage on his behalf. He listened to her rant about how unfair and unjust it was. 'She's angry for me?' He sat there in shock as he pondered this strange girl that he found himself drawn to. This girl who didn't seem to consider him to be monster and was outraged on his behalf because of his unfair treatment. She didn't seem to hold his heritage against him at all. Not since his mother had he ever had someone treat him that way. He felt this girl quickly sneaking between the cracks of the shield he had place over his heart.
 
Deep in thought, he distantly heard the old miko say that it was time to go back to the village. Inuyasha felt both relief and disappointment at that proclamation. He was relieved that the girl would soon be in a village with her own kind and safely out of the reach of other youkai. But he was disappointed because he knew that once she was in the village he would be unlikely to see her again. Inuyasha was wondering at his feelings on this matter, surprised by how much he already seemed to care about her, when he heard Kagome's reply. 'She doesn't want to go with them? Why? Why wouldn't she want to be with her own people, her own kind?' His eyes narrowed as he stared down at the girl who occupied his thoughts.
 
When the old miko told her that she didn't have a choice and he saw the men grab her, he felt anger course through him and he started to growl as he dug his claws into the tree branch. He tried to rein in his anger, knowing that he should not get involved, that she belonged with her own people. But he lost his tenuous control when he heard Kagome's cries and smelled her scent spike with terror. Before he knew what he was doing he had leaped out of the tree towards the girl and her captors, and slammed their heads together, knocking them out and releasing her.
 
The first indication that any of those in the clearing had of his presence was a rustling in the leaves above them, followed by a blur of red and white. “Thunk.”
 
Kagome stumbled as she was suddenly released. There was suddenly a wall of red and white in front of her and the men who had held her were lying crumpled on the ground at her feet. She was surprised yet relieved to recognize Inuyasha as her savior. “Inuyasha” she whispered. “You came back.” He glanced at her once before turning his attention to the rest of the humans in the clearing. Kagome moved closer to him and clutched at the back of his haori as she peered around him at the gobsmacked miko and villagers.
 
Inuyasha kept himself between the girl and the humans pointing their weapons at them. He didn't understand his own reaction, he only knew he couldn't let them harm her. He was surprised at how right it felt to stand protectively in front of Kagome, like she belonged with him. “Oi baba” he called to the old miko. “I don't think she wants to go with you.”
 
Kaede fixed him with a stony glare from her one eye. “Stand aside, Inuyasha. This does not concern you.” He growled at her and stayed right where he was. Kaede sighed. “I am grateful to you for saving my life all of those years ago, and I am sorry that you were so unjustly punished. But I cannot allow you to leave with the girl and the jewel. Step aside and you may leave with your life.”
 
Several of the men protested at this. “Kaede-sama, you can't mean that! We can't allow him to live. He'll come back and attack the village.”
 
“Silence!” she told them. “Well, Inuyasha?”
 
Inuyasha felt Kagome clutch tighter at his haori at the words from the old woman and the villagers. He also smelled the fear in her scent. Keeping his eyes trained on the humans, he quietly asked her “Oi wench. Do you want to go with them?” His ears caught her quiet “no.” Eyes still trained on the humans to keep them from sneaking around to attack him from behind he asked her “Do you trust me?” He tensed as he waited for her answer.
 
Kagome didn't even have to think about it. He wasn't human but he hadn't done anything to harm her. Instead he had saved her life and was now giving her a choice. On the other hand the humans had hurt and threatened her, and demanded that she come with them, giving her no choice. Kagome quickly told him “I trust you.” In her head she finished the thought 'completely.'
 
Inuyasha swallowed his shock at her reply. He had been half expecting her to fight him, after all who would trust a hanyou? He tensed his body further in preparation as he told her “Then hold on to me tightly.” Once he felt her arms lift to firmly grip his shoulders he leaped straight up, and not a moment too soon as several arrows impacted the ground where he had been standing.
 
Kaede had sensed something and ordered the villagers “Stop them, don't let them escape.” The men had released their arrows immediately but they were too late. Several managed to adjust their aim and fired up into the branches as they tried to hit the hanyou.
 
Inuyasha easily managed to avoid the arrows but continued to keep himself between them and Kagome. He didn't want to take a chance that one of the villagers would get a lucky shot and hit Kagome. Once they were high enough in the tree to be out of immediate danger, as the villagers would not be able to see them let alone hit them, he paused to adjust Kagome's position on his back. He pulled her higher so that he could comfortably grip her thighs and then launched himself through the trees away from the clearing.
 
He heard her gasp and then felt her grip tighten on his shoulders as he continued to leap from tree to tree. “Don't worry, I won't drop you” he told her. After a few minutes her grip loosened as she relaxed and looked around.
 
“Wow” she whispered as she took in the scenery flying past them. They were moving so fast, it exhilarating. Kagome found herself relaxing and enjoying the ride. It was fun and she let a giggle escape her as she laid her head on his back.
 
Inuyasha just grinned when he heard her before he increased his speed as he searched for suitable shelter for the night as the sun would soon be setting.