InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Difference a Little Time Can Make ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha. Rumiko Takahashi does. I am not making any money from this story.
 
Author's note: As I said previously, the updates will likely begin to slow down a bit. Thank you to everyone who has reviewed. Please continue to review and let me know what you think. The changes from canon will continue to ripple out, though some things will remain the same.
 
 
Inuyasha and Kagome stared at the figure before them with shock. Inuyasha tried to lift himself up to put himself protectively in front of Kagome, only to collapse again. Kagome quickly pulled him back to lay against her lap.
 
“Peace Inuyasha” the figure spoke. “I mean no harm to either of you. I only wish to thank you.”
 
“Thank us? For what?” Kagome asked as she stared at the transparent form before them. She was dressed in ancient armor over miko clothing with a sword at her side, long dark hair flowing in a nonexistent breeze. On her forehead was a diamond-patterned symbol.
 
“My name is Midoriko and you have freed me. Long ago I battled a hoard of demons for seven days and seven nights before realizing I would not be able to defeat them. As a last resort I trapped them along with my soul, creating the Shikon no Tama. We have been fighting within the jewel ever since. Your wish, your unselfish desire to spare others the pain the jewel caused, has purified the jewel and set us free to find our rest. Thank you” she said once more as she faded away.
 
They stared at the spot she had been before Kagome looked down and saw that the jewel was indeed gone. All that remained was a small pile of dust that quickly blew away in the night air. She turned to Inuyasha and asked “Now what?”
 
Her answer came from behind her. “You can come to the village to rest and heal.” Kagome turned around to see that Kaede had come up behind them and was standing a few feet away. She looked further away and saw that several villagers were standing near the trees. Kagome tensed as she clutched Inuyasha against her body.
 
Kaede had been working in her garden when one of the villagers had come running for her, saying that there had been an attack at the river. She had gone there quickly with several of the village men and discovered the women just waking up. Only she had been able to see the remains of the hair. Asking the women what had occurred was useless as they could not recall what happened. So she had taken the men with her and followed the hair to the clearing of the Bone Eater's Well. She had arrived in time to see Kagome finish the creature off and then watched as a wounded Inuyasha handed her something before collapsing next to her. Kaede had then seen the hanyou gently tug the girl down before he licked her neck. She had seen the blood on the girl's neck and understood what he was doing, having heard of the healing properties of inu-youkai saliva. The men with her had not understood and so she had missed what the two had said as she calmed the fears of the men that Inuyasha would eat the girl.
 
Kaede had been surprised to realize that the object that he had given her before he collapsed was the Shikon no Tama. 'He did not try to keep it for himself?' She had listened as Kagome cursed the jewel, blaming it for their troubles. She had been about to approach and offer to bring them to the village when Kagome made her wish and the spirit appeared. So Kaede had also heard the apparition's explanation and knew that the jewel was no more. That was when she decided it was time to reveal herself. But seeing the fear cross the girl's face, she couldn't help but wonder what scared her so. She had questioned the men the previous day and learned that they had come across her earlier and had been bringing her to the village when she ran off, but had sensed that they were keeping something back. Seeing the look on her face, Kaede cursed herself for not questioning them further.
 
“Easy child. I mean you no harm. I just wish to help you. Inuyasha is wounded and needs time to heal. He can do that at the village. None there will harm you.”

“Keh! Like I'd believe that baba. No thanks, we'll take our chances out here” Inuyasha said as he struggled to sit up.
 
“Easy Inuyasha. Those wounds are large and will be a while in healing, even for one with your physiology. I give my word that neither of you will be harmed. Besides, young Kagome here needs training.” She turned her attention to the girl, hoping she would be able to convince her and in turn the hanyou. “You wouldn't want to hurt your companion would you?”
 
Kagome frowned. “What do you mean? I would never hurt Inuyasha.”
 
Kaede shook her head. “Not intentionally, no. But you possess the powers of a miko, untrained though you are. If you lost control you could easily hurt him. Your powers are great, and purifying the jewel only emphasizes that fact. As great as my sister's powers were, that was something that even she had never been able to do. If you return to the village with me, I will be able to teach you the control you need.”
 
Kagome thought over the old miko's words. After the events of the last two days, 'has it really only been two days?', she knew the miko was telling the truth about her powers. But could she really hurt Inuyasha if she didn't learn to control them? So far her powers had only come out when she had been in danger. 'Or when Inuyasha was' she thought as she remembered the arrow that had torn through the hair binding him. She turned to look at Inuyasha.
 
He caught her look. “Oi! Don't tell me you're actually considering it. We don't need them, I'll protect you.”
 
“But what if she's right and I do accidentally hurt you. I couldn't bear it if I hurt you somehow.”
 
“Keh. Like you would be able to wench. Don't worry.” But he could tell by the frown on her face and the way she bit her lip that she was still worried. He cursed the fact that he was injured or he would have already carried her away. If the villagers tried to force them, he wasn't sure if he would be able to stop them.
 
“How will you protect her Inuyasha? You are too injured to move. The Shikon no Tama may be gone but there are those who will still come after Kagome for the power that she possesses.” Kaede told him. “I give you my word of honor as a miko that no harm will come to either of you.”
 
“And why should a miko want to help a hanyou?” he scoffed at her.
 
“I owe you a debt for saving my life all of those years ago. Let me repay it. You may stay in my hut with me and none will dare to harm either of you.”
 
Inuyasha considered her words as he stared into her one eye. He knew she spoke the truth about his ability to protect Kagome at the moment and he could tell that she was sincere in her intent to help them. He slowly nodded his agreement and she gestured for the village men to help her carry him to her hut in the village.
 
“Keh! I'll go to the village but I'll get there on my own two feet baba” Inuyasha said as he waved off the reluctant men. “I don't need help from any weak humans.” He glared at Kagome when she opened her mouth to say something.
 
Kaede raised an eyebrow at him. “If that is your wish, Inuyasha, then so be it. But don't complain when you collapse again.” She waved the men back and they gladly put some distance between themselves and the injured hanyou and turned their attention to the surrounding forest.
 
“Keh. I'll be fine.” Inuyasha managed to push himself to his feet. “See?” he said. But sweat was beading on his forehead and he panted from the effort. As he went to take a step forward, he felt himself begin to fall but he never hit the ground. Instead he felt someone grab his arm and place it around a slender shoulder as they helped support his weight. He turned his head and saw Kagome. He opened his mouth to say something but she cut him off with a glare.
 
“Stop being a baby Inuyasha and admit when you need help” she said quietly enough that only Inuyasha would be able to hear her. He bristled at her words but calmed when she shot him an understanding look before adjusting his weight on her shoulders so that he was supported without appearing to be leaning on her. 'She understands' he thought. 'She knows I can't show any weakness.' She had placed his arm so it draped over her shoulders, giving the appearance of a display of affection. While he wasn't sure he wanted to give the villagers that impression he had to admit it was vastly better than being seen as too weak to walk on his own.
 
“If that is settled, let us be moving on” Kaede said after watching the byplay between the two with interest. 'There is something going on there' she thought. With that, she led the way to the village with the men taking up positions around them.
 
As they neared the village she noted that both the hanyou and untrained miko became tenser with every step. While she could understand Inuyasha being unsettled, she wondered what was causing the Kagome's discomfort. She resolved to keep a close eye on both of her guests.
 
Inuyasha felt himself becoming tenser with every step they took nearer to the village. He was uncomfortable being so close to a human settlement, especially injured as he was. But for Kagome he would do it. He glanced at the girl beside him and saw how pale she was becoming and felt the tension in her as well. “It'll be alright” he told her quietly. “I'll protect you. The first sign of any trouble and we're out of there alright?” He received a smile in return for his words.
 
Kaede had listened to his words and wondered both at what trouble he was expecting and the gentle tone he had used with the girl. It was so different from how he spoke to everyone else that she had done a double take to make sure it was the same hanyou. Something about the girl seemed to bring out his gentler nature, she mused.
 
She spotted the village gates ahead of them and saw that they had a welcoming committee. Kaede increased her pace so that she arrived first.
 
“Kaede-sama, you have returned” the village headman, Yoshi greeted her. “Were you able to find and defeat the youkai?” He stiffened as he saw Kagome and Inuyasha approaching. Inuyasha had straightened to carry more of his own weight as they came into sight and appeared to be standing tall with Kagome tucked protectively under his arm. The red of his haori hid his wounds. Yoshi gulped as he saw the obviously demonic features like the silver hair, dog ears and claws. “Kaede-sama, who are they? Why have you brought them to the village?”
 
“Be at peace Yoshi. They mean us no harm. Inuyasha and Kagome are the ones who defeated the youkai responsible for the attack on the village women. They will be staying in my hut while their wounds heal. Also, Kagome has agreed to train with me to control her miko abilities.” Kaede told the man.
 
“A miko?” Yoshi asked as he glanced at the strangely dressed girl standing with the hanyou. “But to allow one of youkai heritage into the village, are you sure that is wise?” Yoshi knew that Kaede was a powerful and knowledgeable miko but he felt he needed to question her judgment in this matter.
 
Inuyasha interrupted before Kaede could answer. “Keh! If you don't want us here then just say so. We'll be happy to leave.” He tightened his grip on Kagome's shoulders.
 
“That won't be necessary, Inuyasha” Kaede said as she directed a glare at him before turning back to Yoshi. “I have given them my word that they will not be harmed. And now I give you my word that they will not harm the village. They will stay in my hut with me for the duration of their stay. I trust that is satisfactory?” She fixed her gaze on Yoshi and he nodded.
 
“Yes Kaede-sama.”
 
With that settled Kaede led Inuyasha and Kagome to her hut. Once they were inside and out of the view of the villagers, Inuyasha's legs gave out and he would have fallen if not for Kagome. She lowered him onto the futon that Kaede indicated and then helped him remove his haori while Kaede went to get her herbs.
 
“Alright Inuyasha, remove your kosode and I will take care of those wounds” Kaede told him as she approached with bandages and herbs.
 
“No” he told her. She merely raised an eyebrow at him.
 
Kagome wasn't so reserved. “Inuyasha stop being so stubborn. Those wounds are serious and need to be take care of. Let Kaede help you.”
 
“No” he said again. He had nothing against Kaede but he didn't want her touching his wounds. He looked at Kagome. “You do it.”
 
Kagome gaped at him. “Me? But I don't know the first thing about treating a wound like that. I could hurt you.”
 
He simply set his jaw and stared at her.
 
Kaede hastily interjected. “It is very simple Kagome-sama. I will talk you through everything. You can consider it the start of your training. For some reason, I am sure that you will need the knowledge of how to treat this stubborn fool's injuries.” She shot him a wry look as she said the last part.
 
They ignored Inuyasha's sullen “Keh” as Kaede directed Kagome through the process of cleaning and bandaging the wounds. Kaede found Kagome to be a fast learner and the process went quickly. Once done Kaede turned and examined Kagome with a critical eye. “Come Kagome-sama. I have a sleep yukata you may wear. In the morning I will find you more suitable clothing.”
 
Kagome thanked her and changed behind a screen. They ate a small meal of stew and then settled in for the night.
 
 
The next morning Kaede walked Kagome through the process of changing Inuyasha's bandages and then prepared a light breakfast for them. As they ate she explained her plans for the day. “I need to replenish my herb supply. You can come with me Kagome-sama. It would be wise for you to learn which herbs are useful for what ailments and where to find them. We won't go far from the village. Inuyasha may remain here and rest.”
 
Needless to say, Inuyasha objected strongly to that idea. “Forget it baba. She's not going anywhere without me.” He did not like this plan at all.
 
Kagome also worried about traveling around the village without Inuyasha but she easily recalled the sight of his wounds. “I'll be alright Inuyasha. Kaede-sama will be with me and if anything happens I'll scream for you. I don't want you to risk reopening your wounds by moving about unnecessarily.”
 
“Keh!” But he subside at the pleading look she directed at him. “You yell for me if any of them even look at you funny, understand wench? I'll hear and be there before they can lay finger on you.”
 
“Okay Inuyasha” she told him with a small smile.
 
Kaede interjected. “She will be perfectly fine Inuyasha. No one in the village shall harm her.”
 
Inuyasha shot the miko a look before ignoring her and turning back to the younger woman. “Keh! I mean it wench, if they look at you the wrong way you call for me.”
 
Kaede was left to wonder yet again just what it was she was missing. She stood and provided Kagome with the traditional clothing of a miko. “Here Kagome-sama. I'm afraid that your clothing looks to be beyond repair. This will do for now until other clothing can be arranged.”
 
Kagome thanked her and changed. With another warning from Inuyasha they exited the hut and followed the path to where Kaede normally collected her herbs. As they walked Kaede pointed out various plants and the types of ailments they could be used for. Kagome did her best to remember everything she was told. They quickly gathered the plants Kaede needed and began to head back.
 
There were more villagers around on their way back and Kagome became self-conscious at the looks directed at her. However, they seemed more curious than anything and Kagome felt herself begin to relax. Then something one of the villagers said caught her attention and she stopped.
 
“Excuse me?” she called. The man and his companion turned to look at her. “I'm sorry but I couldn't help overhearing you. Did you just say Oda Nobunaga?”
 
The men exchanged glances before answering her. “Yes miko-sama. We were just discussing the new rumors of what the Owari no Outsuke (Fool of Owari) has done now. Do you know him?”
 
Kagome simply shook her head, too shocked to say anything more. She reflexively excused herself before heading back to Kaede's hut. She ignored the older woman's worried calls as she entered the hut and sat down, still in shock.
 
'Oda Nobunaga. Owari no Outsuke. If I recall my history lessons correctly, that is what he was called during his teenage years. I'm not in a different world, I'm in the past!' She realized with a start. She slowly became aware of a voice calling to her and a tight grip on her shoulders. She looked up to see Inuyasha's worried face in front of her.
 
Inuyasha had looked up when Kagome had entered the hut but had felt himself become concerned at how pale she appeared. When she walked in and sat down without sparing him a glance he had felt his concern grow and called to her but received no response. 'What happened?' he wondered. 'Did the villagers do something to her?' He growled at that thought as he pushed himself up to move over to her. He heard the door hanging move and turned his head to see Kaede enter with a confused look on her face. 'No, if the villagers had done something Kaede-baba wouldn't be so calm.' He placed himself directly in front of Kagome and gripped her shoulders, giving her a little shake. “Oi, Kagome. Snap out of it wench. What's wrong?”
 
“Inuyasha?” she asked as she snapped out of her thoughts. “What are you doing up? You're supposed to be resting.” She hurried to lay him back down but he waved her off.
 
“Keh. I'm fine wench. You're the one who looked like they were miles away. What's wrong? Did the villagers try something?”
 
“No Inuyasha, nothing like that. I'm fine. I just had a realization and it shocked me.” He raised an eyebrow at her and gestured for her to continue. She sighed but did so. “You remember I told you about how I fell down the well and found myself here?”
 
He nodded but Kaede interrupted. “I'm afraid I have not heard this story Kagome-sama. Please explain it to me.”
 
Kagome hushed Inuyasha's impatient growl before giving Kaede a quick explanation for how she found herself in this land. “Anyway, on our way back I heard a couple of villagers talking.”
 
Inuyasha growled wondering what they had said to upset her but she shushed him and continued. “I heard them mention a familiar name, Oda Nobunaga. So I stopped and asked them. When they referred to him as Owari no Outsuke, I suddenly knew. This isn't some type of other world or dimension like I had thought. This is the past, or rather, my time's past.”
 
They sat their in silence for a few minutes as they digested that. “Oi when you say the past, how long do you mean?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“Well by my calendar Oda Nobunaga was born in 1532. So between 450 and 470 years, I guess.”
 
“Hmm.” Kaede murmured. “I had wondered at your strange clothing. I would guess that styles of clothing would change after that much time. It also answers a question I had about you being Kikyou-oneesan's reincarnation. Fifty years seemed like too short a time for a soul like yours to be reborn. Around 500 years seems far more likely. I would hazard a guess that you were drawn back to fulfill a purpose; perhaps correct a mistake.” Kaede gestured at Inuyasha. “It remains to be seen if you will be able to return to your own time now that your task is completed.”
 
“What do you mean Kaede-sama? What task?” Kagome asked, confused.
 
“You freed Inuyasha from his unfair punishment and have purified the Shikon no Tama. I can think of no other reasons for you to have been brought so far from your own time.” She got to her feet. “But that is a matter for another time. For now let us focus on your miko training. Even if you return to your own time it would be wise to have some understanding of your powers.”
 
With that Kaede drew Kagome to the side and began to teach her how to meditate and draw on her powers. While they worked on that, Inuyasha sat against the wall of the hut as he contemplated the girl from the future. '450 to 470 years. That's a long time. What if the baba's right and now that her task is done she returns home? I'll be alone again.' He sat there with a frown on his face as he was lost in his thoughts for the rest of the afternoon.