InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Difference a Little Time Can Make ❯ Chapter 16 ( Chapter 16 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha. Rumiko Takahashi does. I am not making any money from this story.
 
Author's note: Thank you to everyone who has reviewed. Please continue to review and let me know what you think. The changes from canon will continue to ripple out, though some things will remain the same.
------------------------
Previously
 
Kagome shot him a startled look. “Inu-Inuyasha?”
 
GO!”
 
She turned and started to run with the two kitsune clutched in her arms but glanced back at him. 'Inuyasha, please survive this' she thought as she forced herself to run. Her last glimpse of him showed Inuyasha standing there prepared to face the attacking youkai with nothing but his own claws to protect him. 'Please Inuyasha, please survive and come back to me.'
----------------------------------
The sky grew dark as storm clouds gathered overhead before being lit up by a flash of lightning. Inuyasha stood his ground as he faced the raging Hiten. 'Get out of here Kagome.' He knew that he was in for a rough fight but he had to beat him or at least hold him off long enough for Kagome to get to safety.
 
Furious, crazed red eyes locked onto golden ones. “I'm going to kill you! You and your little bitch! You'll both pay for Manten's death!” With that Hiten charged through the air at Inuyasha, weapon held ready and sparking with lightning.
 
'Damn it' Inuyasha thought as he stared at the gathering lightning. He prepared to dodge but knew that it was too large and that there was nowhere for him to go to avoid it. 'And I don't even have the Tessaiga to try and block it. Fuck, I'm really in trouble this time.' Time seemed to slow to a halt as he watched the incoming demon. Suddenly a voice from his shoulder drew his attention.
 
“Inuyasha-sama! Use the Tessaiga's sheath.”
 
Inuyasha spotted Myouga sitting on his shoulder. 'Myouga-jiji?! He's here? But he always runs at the first sign of danger.' “The Tessaiga's sheath?” he asked.
 
“Yes Inuyasha-sama. There is a barrier on the sheath. It should be able to block the lightning strikes.”
 
Inuyasha grabbed the sheath from his side and held it out in front of him as Hiten unleashed the lightning strike. “You better be right about this Myouga-jiji!” was all he had time to say before the lightning reached him.
 
“That's right hanyou, you're dead. No one could survive that. Now I just have to find the girl and Manten will be fully avenged.” Hiten laughed hysterically but then a growl cut him off.
 
“You stay the fuck away from Kagome!” Hiten's eyes widened and he stared down in shock as the dust cleared and he saw Inuyasha standing there unharmed. There was a trench carved into the ground in front of him but both he and the ground he was standing on were fully intact.
 
“What! That's impossible. Nothing could survive a direct hit from that attack, nothing!”
 
“Keh! That's what you think, asshole!” Inuyasha shouted up at him before staring at the sheath. More quietly he said “I can't believe it worked.”
 
“Didn't I tell you it would Inuyasha-sama? How can you have so little faith in me, your most loyal servant? The sheath was made to contain Tessaiga, a demonic blade. How can it not be strong enough to turn away a Thunder Demon's blast?” The flea hopped up and down on his shoulder to emphasize his point. “Anyway, now that you have survived, shouldn't we be running away?”
 
Inuyasha had been staring at the sheath, an idea forming in his mind. Hearing the flea's question he snorted. “Run away? Why would I do something like that?! I can use this.” And with that he ran towards where Hiten was standing in shock.
 
But upon seeing him approach, Hiten snapped out of his shock. “You bastard! You filthy hanyou! I don't know how you survived that attack but you will still die for my brother's death.” He sent another blast at Inuyasha only for it to be absorbed again by the sheath.
 
“Heh. This is great. I just need to get close enough to him. If I can reach him then I can kill him.” He was nearly there.
 
But Hiten realized his plan. “FOOL!” He shouted at Inuyasha as he took to the air, driven by his spinning wheels. “Have you forgotten? Hiten flies!” He got into position above and behind Inuyasha before driving his weapon down into his back.
 
“Argh!” Inuyasha cried out in pain as the blade cut into his back and he went sprawling onto the ground.
 
In the meantime, Kagome hadn't gone as far away from the battle as Inuyasha had hoped. She was hiding behind another rocky outcropping watching the fight. Despite Inuyasha's wishes, she found that she had been unable to leave him. Her heart had leaped into her throat when she had seen the lightning hit and she had feared he was dead. She had never been so relieved as when she had seen him standing there unharmed. But now, seeing him injured she couldn't help the gasp that came from her as she cried “Inuyasha!” Her hands reached for something to clutch and found the discarded arrow. Looking at it she thought 'If only I had my bow. I wish there was some way for me to help him.'
 
A nearby groan caught her attention and she turned to see Shippou waking up. She felt slightly guilty for forgetting about him and his father but she was so worried about Inuyasha. She pulled the little kitsune into her lap and told him “It's alright Shippou-chan. You-re safe now.” 'But who knows for how long if Inuyasha can't defeat Hiten.'
 
“Kagome?” He blinked up at her. “What happened?” Recalling Manten threatening his father before he blacked out, he sat up with a start and looked around.
 
Kagome realized what he was looking for and pointed him out. “He's safe as well, Shippou-chan. Inuyasha saved us.” That made her remember the battle even now being fought and she turned worried eyes back to the fight.
 
Shippou, relieved to find that his father was safe just injured, hopped up and joined her. With a start he spotted Manten's body lying not too far away. He tugged on Kagome's sleeve to get her attention. Pointing at the body he asked “What happened to him?”
 
Kagome told him “Inuyasha killed him to save us. But that only enraged Hiten. He absorbed Manten's power and added it to his own. I don't know how Inuyasha will be able to win this.” She told him as she forced unshed tears away. “But I know he will. He can't fail.” She winced as she watched Inuyasha narrowly avoid another strike from Hiten's weapon. The wheels on his feet caught her attention. “That's it! Those wheels, when Hiten flies they spin.” She grasped the arrow in her hand tighter. “If I can just knock them off...” She sighed as she remembered. “It's no use. I have an arrow but no bow.”
 
Shippou looked up at her and saw the look of dejection on her face. Glancing at his unconscious father he told her “Leave that to me! I owe you for saving me and my father.” With that he placed a leaf on his head and with a flash of green fire he transformed into...
 
“A snail?!” Kagome asked in shocked confusion as she took in the fat, yellow and twisted form.
 
“I'm a bow!” an outraged voice came from the object.
 
“Sorry” she apologized as she grasped his transformed body and aimed her arrow at one of Hiten's wheels. She paused as she noticed just how far away he was. 'I only have one chance, I can't mess this up.'
 
Shippou was desperately trying to hold onto the transformation. “Hurry up Kagome! What's taking you so long?”
 
“This is my only arrow, I can't afford to miss.” She worried if she would be able to make the shot. Then she saw Inuyasha stumble to the ground and Hiten rise up into the air to deliver the final blow. “No!” she cried as she released the arrow, worry for Inuyasha driving her. 'Please hit' she thought desperately.
 
Inuyasha tried to raise the Tessaiga's sheath to block but knew he wouldn't make it. He was too tired. 'At least I held him off long enough for Kagome to get away' he thought. Suddenly an object shot through the air and impacted with one of Hiten's wheels, shattering it and causing him to break off his attack as he listed to one side. 'What? That looked like one of Kagome's arrows!' Turning his head he spotted her standing on a rocky outcropping not too far away. 'Damn bitch! I told her to get away. When the hell is she going to learn to listen to me?!' He growled as he noticed Hiten turning to glare at her.
 
“She dared damage my wheel. I'm going to make her suffer even more” Hiten raged.
 
“Hey asshole! You're fight is with me” Inuyasha yelled to draw his attention away from her.
 
“Don't worry hanyou, I'll deal with you first, then I'll spend my time making her suffer before I kill her” Hiten said as he swung his weapon at Inuyasha again. But he was moving noticeably slower than before now that he only had one wheel.
 
'That's it' Inuyasha thought as he tried to ignore Hiten's words. He lunged forward and grabbed onto Hiten's pole-arm with his left hand.
 
“No Inuyasha-sama! It is too dangerous to grasp that weapon” Myouga spoke up from his spot on Kagome's shoulder, shocking her. “You need to let go!”
 
“Weren't you just with Inuyasha?” she asked him.
 
Inuyasha ignored them as he continued to grasp the pole-arm. Glancing at the Tessaiga's sheath he said “This thing is in my way, I don't need it anymore” and released it.
 
“No, Inuyasha-sama! Don't drop the sheath!” But the flea was again ignored.
 
“I'll do things my own way” Inuyasha growled out as he pulled Hiten forward through his grip on the pole-arm. He pulled him right into a right cross as he punched him in the face and sent him flying. “How's that for a lowly hanyou, eh Hiten?” he taunted him with a smirk.
 
“He hit him” Kagome said as she watched with relief that was short-lived as she saw Hiten immediately get to his feet.
 
“You...hit...me” he said as he rubbed his cheek. “In all of my centuries, none have dared to strike my face.” He shook with rage as he called on his power. The air around him grew hot as he glowed with power. “This ends NOW!” he roared as he charged forward with his pole-arm.
 
Inuyasha leaped back and grabbed the Tessaiga's sheath, raising it just in time to block the blade of Hiten's weapon. But a noise, 'CHINK', drew his attention and he realized with a start that a crack had formed in the sheath. 'The damned thing is cracking!'
 
Hiten laughed. “You are brave hanyou and I loathe you for that. I will relish your death more than any other.” He increased the pressure from his weapon, lightning dancing along the blade, causing the sheath to crack further.
 
“Oh no!” cried Myouga. “The sheath must not shatter. Inuyasha-sama that sheath is your only hope.”

Kagome cast a worried look at Inuyasha as she heard Myouga's words. 'Inuyasha.' She glanced around for some way to help and spotted the Tessaiga where it lay near Manten's body. “The Tessaiga! If I can just retrieve it and get it to Inuyasha, he'll be able to beat him. I know he will.” But the path to the sword would bring her too close to the battle. She was torn.
 
“I'll get it!” Shippou said as he darted out from their spot behind the rocks.
 
“No Shippou-chan, come back here” she cried as she ran after him. Neither noticed the older kitsune's eyes flutter open behind them.
 
Her shout drew the attention of the battling warriors. Hiten smirked evilly before saying “I guess I can take my revenge sooner than I thought.” He opened his mouth and Inuyasha saw lightning form there.
 
'Manten's attack?! He must have gained it when he absorbed his power.' He realized that he had no way to stop the attack. “Kagome run! Get out of there!” he yelled just as Hiten unleashed his attack. “NOOO!” he cried as he saw it hit Kagome and Shippou. Their screams echoed in his ears.
 
Hiten laughed maniacally. “A toast to you!” The dust cleared and they could see Kagome and the two kitsune laying on the ground, surrounded by flames. “They were courageous but that only proves my point. Courage against me means only death!” Hiten increased the pressure on his weapon.
 
Inuyasha began to growl as he slowly raised his head to glare at the Thunder Youkai. “You're right” he said. “It means DEATH!” He pressed up with the sheath, forcing Hiten back. “Yours! You killed HER! I'll kill you!” The increased pressure cracked the sheath further but Inuyasha ignored it as he slammed his head forward to smash against Hiten's. The move drove Hiten back, separating them.
 
Hiten shook his head to clear it as he tried to catch his breath. 'I don't understand it' he thought. 'Never has a full youkai fought against me with such tenacity and strength! What kind of creature is this hanyou?'
 
Inuyasha growled at him again. “You may end up killing me but I'll bring you down with me! I promise you that!”
 
“What a fool you are hanyou, to get so worked up over a woman's death. Has the blood gone to your head? No woman is worth risking a battle.” Hiten raised his pole-arm and lunged forward. “On the other hand a brother's revenge is well worth fighting to the death over!” The pole-arm again clashed with the sheath.
 
“I wouldn't know bastard. I could care less if my brother died. But you'll pay for what you did to Kagome!” Inuyasha snarled out at him. He ignored the continued cracking of the Tessaiga's sheath.
 
“No Inuyasha-sama! You must stop this! The sheath is about to shatter!” Myouga called from his spot on the sidelines.
 
Inuyasha ignored him as he tried to think of a way to defeat the youkai in front of him. At this point he didn't care if it killed him, he was going to bring Hiten to hell with him. As the sheath cracked further it began to vibrate in his hands before emitting a noise. “What?” Inuyasha stared at in shock. An answering noise came from the side and Inuyasha looked to see the Tessaiga flying through the air at him. “The Tessaiga?!” He reached out his hand to catch the sword by the hilt. He vaguely heard Myouga shouting from the sidelines.
 
“The sheath summoned the sword Inuyasha-sama!”
 
The sword instantly transformed in Inuyasha's hand and he dropped the sheath to grasp the sword in both hands. He turned and swung, slicing both Hiten's weapon and body in half.
 
“How? How did a filthy hanyou defeat the great Hiten?” were Hiten's last words as his body split apart.
 
Inuyasha let the sword fall to the ground as he dropped to his knees. He ignored Myouga as the flea bounced over to him, singing his praises.
 
“Inuyasha-sama! You did it. You defeated both of the Thunder Brothers. I never had any doubts.”

“Save it Myouga-jiji” Inuyasha said as he flattened the flea. “If only I could have beaten him sooner, Kagome would still be-”

He was cut off as a presence behind him drew his attention. “Inuyasha?” Her voice drew him and turned a blink to see her standing there, the young kitsune held in her arms. They were surrounded by blue flames, giving them an unworldly glow.
 
“K-Kagome?” he stared at her.
 
Myouga hopped onto his shoulder and gasped. “Th-those must be there ghosts. Coming to sniff say their final farewells” he said before he started bawling.
 
“Inuyasha you did it” Kagome told him with a smile. “You fought really hard and were able to beat him. Thank you.”
 
'Is this really the end?” Inuyasha wondered. He saw the flames surge around her and ran forward. “No Kagome!” he cried. “Don't go! Don't leave me!” His hand shot out and grasped hers and he gave a start as he realized that it was solid and warm in his. “What?” he asked as the flames completely left her body. He watched as they took the shape of a fox and landed on the ground a few feet away before transforming into the older kitsune who then changed into his humanoid form. Inuyasha turned his attention back to Kagome. “Y-you're alive?” He asked as he pulled her into a rough embrace. When he realized what he was doing he released her with a blush.
 
“Of course we're alive. What did you mean by 'don't leave me'?” she asked him confused. She was further confused when he glared at Myouga.
 
“My mistake Inuyasha-sama. Please forgive your faithful servant” Myouga pleaded. He was squished for his trouble. “Such is the life of a flea” he said as he fell to the ground.
 
The older kitsune started to laugh. “Hey pup” he said causing Inuyasha to bristle. “Don't you know a foxfire shield when you see one?” He groaned and sank to the ground as his injuries made themselves known.
 
“You're hurt” Kagome said as she rushed to his side. “Here, come back to our camp with us and I'll help bandage your wounds.”

“OI! Who said they could come with us?” Inuyasha asked.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes at him. “He's injured Inuyasha. We can't just leave them out here by themselves. Besides he saved my life.”
 
“And we saved theirs as well!” He glared at her. “Just why did you leave camp anyway? I distinctly remember telling you to stay put.”
 
“I couldn't just leave someone to suffer.” She glanced at him and saw the blood on his clothes. “You're hurt too” she remembered with a gasp. She was torn between helping Inuyasha and helping the fox.
 
“Keh. I'm fine wench. They're just scratches.” He sighed resigned as he went over to help the older kitsune to their camp. “And don't think our conversation is over wench. We'll be having a long discussion on obeying me later.”
 
With that they set off towards their camp with Kagome carrying Shippou while Inuyasha supported his father, Satoshi. It was hard going as the sun had set during the battle and the moon provided little light but Inuyasha's keen eyesight allowed him to lead the way. He also found Kagome's bow and quiver, and returned them to her but her arrows were all broken and would need to be replaced. Upon reaching their campsite Shippou used his Kitsune-B to get a fire going while Kagome grabbed her pack. She treated Satoshi's wounds first. Once she was finished she left him resting by the fire before turning her gaze on Inuyasha who was lounging in a tree. Myouga hopped onto her shoulder. “Excellent work Kagome-sama” he praised her and took the opportunity to sample her blood. 'Hmm, no wonder Inuyasha-sama's blood was different. She's-' his thoughts were interrupted when Kagome's hand reached up and slapped him.
 
She glared at him. “Thanks for the compliment Myouga but next time ask if you're hungry.” She then ignored him to return her gaze to Inuyasha. “Inuyasha, please come down” she called to him.
 
He contemplated ignoring her before he leaped down with a sigh. “What do you want wench?”
 
“I need to bandage your wounds” she told him.
 
“Keh, they're just scratches. They'll be healed by tomorrow.” He saw the look on her face and sighed again. “Fine.” He removed his haori and kosode and allowed her to treat and bandage his wounds. When she finished she settled down to sit next to him and he felt himself react to her scent again. He shifted, thankful that his hakama were so baggy. He noticed Satoshi watching him and growled out “You got a problem?”
 
“No, no problem” Satoshi replied with a smile as he shushed his son. “I would like to thank you Inuyasha-san and Kagome-san. My son and I owe you our lives.” He glanced questioningly at Kagome. “Though I am surprised that a miko would risk her life for a pair of youkai, let alone travel with a hanyou.”
 
Kagome wondered what she should tell him. “I was not raised as a typical miko and so I have none of their prejudices” she decided to tell him. “I judge people based on their actions not their blood.”
 
Satoshi inclined his head at her. “If only there were more people who thought like you.”
 
Kagome shared the last of the food that Kaede had given them. After they had eaten they settled down to sleep. Inuyasha decided to remain on the ground. He had seen the way Satoshi had kept glancing at him and Kagome, and he didn't want to take any chances. When Kagome settled her blanket he handed her his haori and then plopped himself down beside her. “Inuyasha?” she asked, confused.
 
“Keh. Go to sleep wench” he told her as he propped the Tessaiga against his shoulder. She smiled at him before obeying, the events of the day catching up with her exhausted body. He took the time to examine the Tessaiga's sheath. It had really saved his life today. Staring at the crack he wondered how to repair it.
 
Myouga hopped onto his shoulder. “She's really special, isn't she Inuyasha-sama?”
 
“Keh.”
 
“I know why you are acting the way you are Inuyasha-sama. I sampled her blood earlier and it explains why your body is-” He was again interrupted by a hand flattening him.
 
“Oi, shut up about that. And don't go biting Kagome. You leave her alone.” Inuyasha glared at the flea.
 
Myouga sighed. 'He isn't ready for that knowledge yet. But when he does find out he's going to be angry that I didn't tell him sooner. Oh well, such is the life of a flea.' “As you wish Inuyasha-sama.” And with that the flea hopped away into the night.
 
Inuyasha sighed before his gaze was drawn to Kagome's still form. Recalling the events of the day, he shuddered. It was too close. He had nearly lost her. Of it's own accord his hand rose and brushed the hair from her face. She gave a little murmur and rolled to face him more fully. His breath caught in his throat and he felt himself leaning closer to her face. He shot back up and gave a growl as he felt eyes watching him. Turning, he spotted Satoshi watching him. Inuyasha growled at him but he merely smiled enigmatically before settling down and curling around his son as he fell asleep. Inuyasha sat up straight for the rest of the night as he guarded the girl who had wormed her way past the wall he had built around his heart.
--------------------------------
 
Look no cliffhanger this time. So tell me what you think. Do you like the changes from canon?