InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Difference a Little Time Can Make ❯ Chapter 24 ( Chapter 24 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha. Rumiko Takahashi does. I am not making any money from this story.
 
Author's note: Thank you to everyone who has reviewed. Please continue to review and let me know what you think. The changes from canon will continue to ripple out, thought some things will remain the same.
 
So a lot of people weren't happy that I brought Kikyou into the story. Hopefully you'll be happier with this chapter. I hope it answers everyone's questions.
-------------------------
 
Previously
 
Yes, I was able to return Kikyou to the flesh but only the flesh, I am sad to say.” Gesturing at the silent miko she continued. “As you can see she is not all here at the moment. But not to worry. That potion you bathe in will draw the soul from your body” gesturing at Kagome and then Kikyou “and if you are truly Kikyou's reincarnation as I believe, then the soul will return to it's proper shell.” Urasue patted Kikyou's shoulder once before cackling again.
 
Kagome felt a shiver run down her spine as she stared with horror into the blank eyes of the resurrected miko. 'Inuyasha please be okay' she prayed. 'Because I don't think I will be.'
----------------------------------
 
“Why are you doing this?” Kagome asked. She felt weak, the potion was having some effect on her but she refused to give up. “Why bring Kikyou back?”
 
“For power, why else?” Urasue gave her a look that suggested it should be obvious. “Fifty years ago, shortly after her death the Shikon no Tama disappeared. Some have claimed that it was destroyed, burned with her body. Lies I say. Something as powerful as the Shikon no Tama could not have been so easily destroyed. It must have been hidden. But no matter how hard I looked I could find no trace of it's power. Then a few weeks ago I felt it. The power of the Shikon no Tama. It had been revealed. Another came to me for help but I sent him away. Why should I help him claim the jewel for himself when I could have it? But after another outburst of it's power, it again disappeared.” Her face twisted with rage. “I will make those who have hidden it pay. The jewel and it's power will belong to me and no one else!” She vowed before turning her gaze almost lovingly on Kikyou. “And my creation will help me. Once I have fully restored Kikyou, I will use her connection to the jewel as it's guardian to find it. It will be mine once and for all.”
 
Kagome could only stare at her. “But the jewel is gone forever. It's been purified!”
 
“Lies! I'll not listen to your foolish attempt to trick me. That fool Naraku thought he could trick me into doing his dirty work but I saw through his treachery just as I see through your lies. The Shikon no Tama will be mine!” Urasue poured more of the potion into the tub. “Now just relax and let the potion do it's work. Soon your soul will rise from it's prison of mortal flesh to where it truly belongs. Hahaha!”
 
Kagome was sick to her stomach from Urasue's words as well as the fumes from the potion. She found herself paralyzed, unable to move and all she could think was 'Inuyasha'.
----------------------------
 
Inuyasha grunted from his position on the cliff wall. “You alright baba?” he asked the old woman clinging to his back. After the bridge had collapsed he had quickly freed himself from the clay soldiers holding him. He had managed to grab part of the bridge as it swung down to the cliff wall, halting his descent. He would have immediately gone after Urasue and Kagome but before he could he had spotted Kaede also fall and had leaped after her, saving her from a nasty death. Now he carried her on his back as he climbed back up the mountain in leaps and bounds, moving as fast as he could. He didn't know what Urasue wanted with Kagome but he knew he wouldn't like the consequences. He had a feeling that she was in serious danger. Though he couldn't help but think that he preferred to carry Kagome on his back, she fit much better.
 
“I am fine Inuyasha. But we must hurry. I fear that Kagome might not have much time.”
 
Her words nearly caused him to falter. “W-what? What do you know? Why did she grab Kagome?” He increased his pace further at the confirmation that Kagome was in trouble.
 
Kaede sighed. “You remember that I told you I believed Kagome to be the reincarnation of my sister Kikyou. This youkai, Urasue, has stolen her remains. I know not what she plans, only that it is likely the darkest of magics. But if she realizes that Kagome is the reincarnation of Kikyou, I fear what she may do. She plans to use dark magic on my sister's bones, what magic would she do if she had access to her soul?”
 
Inuyasha increased his speed again. They were now out of the canyon the bridge had been above and he raced along the trail further up the mountain. 'Hold on Kagome. I'm coming' he thought.
----------------------------------
 
'I've got to get out of this somehow' Kagome thought frantically. Her chest hurt, like something was being pulled out of her. She panted for breath.
 
“Not long now. Soon you'll be whole again Kikyou. Then you will lead me to the jewel.” Urasue patted the unresponsive Kikyou on the shoulder.
 
“The jewel is gone! I was there when it was purified. You're making a big mistake!” Kagome gasped.
 
Urasue turned to her, eyes flashing with rage. “Lies!” She stared at the defiant girl, wondering how she was still able to speak. She saw the light in the girl's chest, saw how the soul struggled to free itself. 'This girl is different, all of my other victims would have fallen by this point but still she struggles.' “I've heard enough out of you! Just give in, stop fighting the potion and release Kikyou's soul!” She placed her hand on Kagome's head and pushed down, fully submerging her in the tub.
 
Kagome felt herself become fully submerged and panicked. As she felt the potion seep into her mouth she thought 'No!' She felt something surge through her, then the hand holding her down was gone and she found she could breathe again. Coughing she opened her eyes to see a pink barrier surrounding the tub.
 
Urasue yanked her hand back as it started to burn. “A barrier?!” She stared in shock at the glowing pink dome. Her eyes widened as she saw the girl's soul and how the barrier was anchoring it to her body. “It holds her...it holds her soul in that prison of flesh!”
 
Kagome gasped as the pain in her body increased. She felt as if two forces were battling over her soul, one to remove it from her body and the other to keep it there. She didn't know if she could survive the struggle, it felt like she was being torn in two. Then, she sensed something else. 'Inuyasha! He's alive.' She felt a tremendous relief at that realization. 'Inuyasha, please hurry.'
 
Urasue continued to stare in shock at the barrier. “It grows! How can this girl's soul form a thing so huge?! Why does her soul refuse to leave this body?”
 
“KAGOME!”
 
Urasue turned and spotted the hanyou racing toward them, sword drawn. “You survived the fall?!”
 
Inuyasha ignored her words as he raced towards the pink barrier that he could feel was made of Kagome's energy. 'She has to be alright if she can still form a barrier' he thought with some relief. Movement caught his attention and he focused on it. “K-Kagome?” he said as he stared in shock. Wasn't she behind the barrier? 'Why is she wearing miko clothing?' But she merely stared blankly at him and he became aware of the smell of dirt and bones emanating from her body. “You're not Kagome!” He heard Kaede's gasp as she approached from behind.
 
“Kikyou-oneesan!” she said as she stared at the figure in front of her. At her words the figure wearing her sister's face turned to look at her. There was a rush as the energy around the barrier faded and Kagome gave a pained scream before falling silent. Kaede cursed herself for her words as she watched the orb of light leave Kagome's body before shooting to the body made of dirt and clay.
 
“W-what? Kagome!” Inuyasha ran to her still form but she was unresponsive. He shook her calling her name but she remained still. His heart skipped a beat, she couldn't be dead. But no, she was still breathing and he could still hear her heart beat, faint as it was, at least.
 
“It is no use hanyou. Her soul is gone. She is a lifeless shell now, perhaps I'll turn her into my dinner later. Hahaha.”
 
He turned to glare at her, a growl ripping it's way out of his throat. “You! You're the one responsible. Bring her back.”
 
“Too late. Her soul is back in it's proper form now” Urasue said as she gestured to Kikyou who was gazing down at her body in shock.
 
“Urasue, you used my sister's bones to create this abomination” Kaede stated in disgust.
 
“Yes, and thank you for your help. Hearing you speak her name caused her to reclaim her soul from that prison of flesh. She is my finest creation. I have given her life from those bones and she will obey my every command.” She laughed again as Kikyou stood and slowly began to approach her. “Kikyou will do my bidding in locating the Shikon no Tama. But first, Kikyou show your restored powers in ridding me of these annoying-”
 
She was cut off as Kikyou placed her hands on her shoulders, blasting her with spiritual power and blowing her body apart. As Urasue fell she spoke her last words. “No, not me!”
 
Kikyou spoke for the first time. “Yes, you. You who dragged me back from a death I had no desire to ever leave.” She lifted her face allowing the others to see the pained expression.
 
“Kikyou-oneesan” Kaede spoke up sadly.
 
“Only one person has ever called me that.” Kikyou turned to face her. “Little Kaede?” she questioned. At her nod she spoke again. “You are all grown now. Has so much time really passed since my death?” She clenched her hands. “Why bring me back? I was finally at peace. Did you not torment me enough with your betrayal?”
 
“My betrayal? What are you talking about?” Kaede was truly confused.
 
Kikyou glared at her. “You attempted to steal the Shikon no Tama and killed me for it. Or don't you remember how you came to me saying that you would make a better protector? How it was my fault that you had lost your eye?”
 
“No Kikyou-oneesan! It was not I. It was a creature called Naraku who killed you.”
 
“Keh! I don't care about any of that” Inuyasha said from where he knelt next to Kagome. He turned to glare at Kikyou, one hand going to the Tessaiga. “But you're going to give Kagome back her soul!”
 
Kikyou turned to face him, recognition apparent on her features. “The hanyou that I sealed to the Goshinboku? How is it that you are free?”
 
“Keh! That's right, I still owe for sealing me to that damn tree for fifty years.” He lunged at her but she blasted him with her powers.
 
“No Kikyou-oneesan! Stop this! Inuyasha is a good person” Kaede tried to interfere when Kikyou made no sign of letting up on the attack.
 
“You seek to betray me again Kaede?” Kikyou said as she turned to face her sister. “You would defend a monster. What dark magic did you use to release him from my seal when only I should have been able to? Even back then you pleaded with me to free him. Are you happy with your little lapdog?” She sneered, causing Inuyasha to growl at the insinuation.
 
“Inuyasha is not a monster and I do not command him. He is, however, a friend” Kaede defended him.
 
“He is of youkai blood. That makes him evil. All youkai are evil and must be destroyed.” Kikyou glared at Kaede. “You wear the garb of a miko but would ignore that fact. You are a disgrace. I did not want this life back but I will gladly use it to rid the world of such monsters.”
 
Inuyasha took the opportunity to again lunge at her, swiping his claws down her arm. “Give Kagome back her soul!” he demanded. He was surprised to find dirt instead of blood coating his claws. He made to attack again but hesitated with his claws raised when she turned to face him. 'Damn, I can't do it' he thought as he stared at her face. 'She looks too much like Kagome, I can't strike her down.' He paid for his hesitation with another blast of spiritual energy.
 
Kaede dove in front of her, trying to stop the confrontation before it was too late. But Kikyou shoved her away. “You are a traitor Kaede. You do not deserve to wear that clothing or carry that weapon.” She grabbed the bow and arrows from her as she lay panting on the ground, unable to move due to her reopened wounds.
 
Kikyou turned to face Inuyasha who was struggling to get up again. She drew back an arrow, aiming it at his heart. “And now I will correct the mistake I made previously. I should have killed you instead of sealing you.” She let the arrow fly.
 
Inuyasha saw the arrow coming towards him but was unable to move in time. He grasped the Tessaiga, hoping to block it with the sword. It worked for a moment but as soon as the arrow touched the fang it reverted to a rusty old sword and the arrow kept on it's way. “No!” he said as the arrow began to burn through his haori. “I'm sorry Kagome” he whispered as he felt the arrow's tip reach his chest.
 
As he said her name the girl's unseeing eyes flew open. “N'yasha” She gasped and a bright light surrounded her body as the arrow also glowed and disappeared from in front of Inuyasha.
 
Kikyou gasped as she felt her newly retrieved soul struggling to leave her body. She dropped the bow, hands clutching her chest as she cried “No it is my soul. You can't have it.” Despite her words, a large light flew from her clay body to slam into Kagome's.
 
Kagome sat up with a gasp, eyes immediately searching for Inuyasha. “Inuyasha” she called weakly upon spotting him, her hand reaching for him.
 
“Kagome!” he called, taking a step in her direction.
 
But she gasped again as she felt her soul again attempting to leave her body. “Aah!” she cried. Inuyasha was immediately at her side, cradling her against his chest as he tried to discover the source of her pain. He noticed the soul trying to rise out of her chest and glanced back at Kikyou.
 
All eyes turned to face Kikyou who was bent double making pulling motions as if trying to physically drag the soul back to herself. “It was my soul first. It belongs to me, not you” she panted.
 
“No Kikyou-oneesan. It is Kagome's soul, not yours. You never should have been brought back.” Kaede sighed. “Release it and return to your rest.”

Kikyou turned wild eyes upon her. “Never! Not until every youkai is dead and gone. I will destroy them all!”
 
Kaede sighed again. “It is no use. Madness has taken her. She is driven by anger and hate.” Kaede clapped her hands together and made a short prayer. “Goodbye my sister.” She attempted to strike at her but was easily driven aside. Hitting the ground with a moan, she called to Inuyasha. “Inuyasha, you must destroy that clay body. It is a sham, brought to life by Urasue's foul magic. Please release my sister's soul from this mockery. It is the only way to fully restore Kagome.”
 
Inuyasha growled as he set Kagome back down on the ground. He pulled the Tessaiga from it's sheath. “Keh. With pleasure.” He ran at Kikyou who attempted to retreat. “This is for sealing me to that tree!” He said as he swung the Tessaiga. He hesitated again as he saw her face but then he focused on Kagome who he could sense behind him. “This is for Kagome!” he yelled and smashed the false body apart. As the remains of dirt and bone fell to the ground a smaller light left them and the rest of Kagome's soul was returned to her. Inuyasha was quickly back at her side, checking her over for injuries. He relaxed as he found none and was relieved when she allowed the touch. Part of him had worried that some part of Kikyou might have transferred her hatred to her.
 
Kagome sat up as much as she could in Inuyasha's embrace. “I'm fine Inuyasha but you're hurt” she said as she looked at where the arrow had started to enter his chest.

“Keh, I'm fine, it's just a scratch and will heal. I'm not the one who had my soul ripped out of my body.” He made no move to release her as he breathed in her scent and reassured himself that she was alive and well. His heart had stopped when he realized that she wasn't moving and he had thought he had lost her.
 
A shuffling noise drew their attention and they turned to see Kaede kneeling next to Kikyou's remains. Kagome gasped “Kaede-sama” and pushed herself out of Inuyasha's embrace. “Your wounds have reopened, you shouldn't be moving so much.” She sat the older miko down and began to treat her wounds.
 
“Thank you Kagome-sama but I must retrieve my sister's remains. They must be purified and returned to their resting place.” She again attempted to rise but Kagome pushed her back down before gently gathering the remains, wrapping them in a cloth blanket and then handing them to her. “Thank you” Kaede told her with sincerity before turning to face Inuyasha who stood nearby. “And thank you Inuyasha for returning my sister to her final rest.”
 
“Keh.”
 
“Kaede-sama, why did she think that you had betrayed her?” Kagome asked, genuinely confused. She had not been fully conscious but she was aware of what had happened. Inuyasha's ears twitched and he turned around, also curious.
 
Kaede sighed. “My sister was alone when she was attacked. In the years since her death I have managed to piece together what I believe happened that day in the meadow. I knew that she had been attacked by a youkai, I later learned from a traveling Buddhist monk that the creature was named Naraku. He came upon her when she was alone. I have always believed that he must have disguised himself in some way in order to get so close to her.” She sighed again. “I know now that he must have used my form, the monk had also told me that he was able to shape-shift. But at the last moment, Kikyou must have sensed something of his true nature because she unleashed her purifying powers, gravely injuring him and chasing him away. It also alerted the village that something was wrong. When we reached her, she was lying in a pool of her own blood, the Shikon no Tama clutched tightly in her hand. She instructed the village headman to burn the Shikon no Tama with her body.” Kaede closed her eye in pain. “I remember that she would not look at me. I thought at the time that it was because she felt guilty about leaving me on my own. But now I know it is because she felt that I had betrayed her and played some part in her death.”
 
Kagome tried to comfort her. “I'm sure that's not it. If she realized that Naraku was a youkai and not you, then she knew that it wasn't you who attacked her.”
 
“Thank you for your kind words.”
 
“Keh. Are you sure that Kagome's really her reincarnation? They seem way too different to me” Inuyasha interjected. Kagome was also curious, how could someone so full of rage and hate have shared the same soul as her?
 
“Yes. Today's events prove it. But you must understand, Kikyou-oneesan was trained from an early age that youkai are dangerous and evil. She spent her life trying to help others. That person earlier was not truly my sister. She was too full of betrayal and rage over being torn from her peaceful rest. As for Kagome-sama, her soul has had nearly five hundred years to mature and find peace before being reborn.”
 
With that settled they quickly departed the area as night was fast approaching and none of them wanted to remain any longer than necessary. They began their journey back to the village now that their mission was complete.
-------------------------------
 
So what did you think? Are you guys happy now? As I stated before, I didn't originally plan to bring Urasue or Kikyou into the story but then I thought I could have Naraku trying to trick her into bringing Kikyou back to find the jewel, not knowing that it was gone. That didn't quite work out, and was only briefly mentioned, I will elaborate why later on in the story once Naraku shows up. But then I realized that if Naraku didn't use Inuyasha's form to get close to Kikyou then how did he attack her and I thought what if he used the form of her younger sister? That led to this chapter. I never planned to keep Kikyou past this chapter, there was no need as she and Inuyasha never had a relationship. But did anyone catch the reference to the Buddhist monk? Three guesses who that was.
 
But on a separate note. I am going on a vacation next week. I'll try to update as I can but don't know how much time I'll actually have to write. So don't be surprised if I don't post that often.