InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Difference a Little Time Can Make ❯ Chapter 28 ( Chapter 28 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha. Rumiko Takahashi does. I am not making any money from this story.
 
Author's note: Thank you to everyone who has reviewed. Please continue to review and let me know what you think. The changes from canon will continue to ripple out, though some things will remain the same.
 
Several of the scenes at the beginning will be things from the last chapter from a new point of view. I know I left the last chapter on a cliffhanger but that will be resolved before the chapter is over.
----------------------------
 
A man wandered through the forest, sweat streaming down his face. He was wearing the robes of a Buddhist monk and they only added to his discomfort in the unbearable heat. Raising his eyes to the heavens he asked “Great Buddha, I know you preach patience but is a little relief from this heat too much to ask for?” He sighed and began to trudge forward once more.
 
Breaking through some foliage, he stopped as he caught sight of a stream just ahead of him. Raising his head once more he offered a prayer in thanks while resolving not to question the Kami again. He gratefully set his staff down beside him as he knelt next to the stream and scooped up some of the refreshingly cool water.
 
Once he had drank his fill, he cupped his hands together and splashed some of the cool water onto his face. Removing his hands, he sighed as his gaze landed on the cloth and beads covering his right hand. Internally wishing that Buddha would provide as simple a way to deal with his curse as he had the heat, the houshi reached for his staff to be on his way once more.
 
But before he could move, the sound of nearby splashing made itself known to him. Slowly, the houshi approached the foliage at the bend of the stream, and carefully moved it out of the way. His eyes widened at the sight of a naked young woman bathing in the stream, and a lecherous grin formed on his face. Carefully he stepped away from the foliage to offer up a heartfelt “Thank you great Buddha. You are very kind to this humble servant of yours.” That done he went back to his previous position and carefully moved a branch out of the way so that his view was unobstructed.
 
He immediately felt himself grow hard as he took in the young nubile flesh of the woman currently bathing in the stream. He watched as the water streamed down her flesh. “Oh yes indeed Miroku, Buddha has definitely been kind to you on this day.” The lecherous houshi, Miroku, groaned when the young woman turned away to face some boulders. Then he groaned for a different reason as he took in the sight of her near perfect backside. Absently, he noticed that she was speaking to someone on the shore. 'A friend, perhaps?' he wondered. Immediately his thoughts were filled with images of two such delectable females bathing naked. His lecherous grin grew wider, but he was disappointed when whoever was on the shore remained hidden.
 
His disappointment did not last for long as the young woman in the stream turned around again, apparently satisfied with her companion's answer, as she went back to her bath, her face a brilliant shade of red. Still, Miroku could not help but to be curious about what her companion might look like and what they might have said to make the young woman turn such a delightful shade of red. He leaned forward a bit, trying to gain a better view of the shore. But his movements caused the leaves to rustle and he froze, praying that it had gone unnoticed. When the girl continued her bath, he gave a sigh of relief and began to sit back to enjoy the show. Then the branch he had previously moved out of the way swung back and hit him in the face. He glared at the offending piece of foliage then paused as he noticed that the young woman was now covered by an article of red clothing.
 
Miroku frowned before his eyes widened. Apparently the girl's companion was not another woman but a man who now stood on top of the boulder that had hidden him from view. But all Miroku could see of the man was the muscled arm and hand that tightly gripped a sword as he apparently looked over the area for whatever had disturbed him. Miroku promptly decided that discretion was the better part of valor, and quietly retrieved his staff and left the area.
 
As he left the area, he wryly reflected that at least things were looking up.
----------------------------------
 
His good mood was nowhere in sight the next day. “Really Miroku” he said to himself. “How did you manage to get yourself lost in this wretched forest?” He sighed as he reflected that he was not well suited to traveling in the wilderness. Indeed, he preferred to spend his time traveling from village to village. But he had assumed that cutting through the forest would be a good short cut to the next village and had gotten himself lost. Still, he reflected with a lecherous smile, at least he had the images from the previous day to cheer him up.
 
He was currently walking along the base of a mountain, hoping he would find a village up ahead where he could secure lodgings for the night. One night of camping out in the forest was more than enough for him. He sighed as he took in the clouds in the distance and prayed he would find that village soon.
 
A flash of red caught his eye and he turned to see a man carrying something hurriedly checking the nearby area as if looking for something. But the silver hair and dog ears betrayed the man's youkai heritage. Carefully, Miroku reached into his robes and pulled out an ofuda, just in case. But the youkai took no notice of him as it apparently found what it was looking for, an opening in the rock face. Miroku watched as he carefully set down his burden before entering the cave.
 
With a start, Miroku recognized the face of the girl from the previous day. A grim look settled on his face as he could clearly see, even from that distance, the bruise that adorned her head. He had no doubts about what the youkai's intentions for the girl might be as he noticed the absence of her companion. He had seen the blood coating the youkai's claws and had little doubt of her companion's fate. He offered a quick prayer to Buddha for the girl's companion as he quickly set himself into position near the cave entrance, ofuda at the ready.
 
A moment later, the youkai began to exit the cave and Miroku struck! He quickly affixed the ofuda to the youkai's shoulder. Satisfied when the ofuda did the job and froze the youkai in its tracks, the houshi slowly walked around and into view. Golden eyes glared out at him as he wagged his finger at the youkai as if rebuking a naughty child and admonished “Now, now. I'm afraid that I can not allow you to carry out your foul intentions for this fair maiden.” His eyes landed on the girl and images of the previous day momentarily ran through his mind.
 
His attention was brought back to the youkai when he heard him growl and saw him trying to force his body to move. Miroku could not help the laugh that escaped him at the sight. “I'm afraid that won't do you any good. My ofuda will keep a foul youkai like yourself contained for a long time. Don't worry, I'll put you out of your misery after I see to the girl. I'm sure she'll be grateful to me for saving her.” His mind was then filled with images of just what form that gratitude would take. After all, he had saved her and avenged her companion. He quickly forced the images to the back of his mind as he turned his attention to the girl. She would need her wounds seen to before he could carry out any of those ideas.
 
As he began to reach for the girl he heard the youkai speak. “S-stay...away....from...her!”
 
His eyes widened in shock, the ofuda should have prevented him from saying a word! He whirled around and was further shocked to see a clawed hand slowly reaching for the hilt of a sword. “That's not possible” he mumbled. Then he noticed the sword give a pulse. Miroku could sense the demonic energy, or youki, coming from the sword and knew it would be a bad idea to let the youkai have a chance to use it. He quickly grabbed the girl and stepped further away from the cave entrance and the youkai currently trapped there. But that only seemed to further enrage the youkai.
 
He gaped in shock as the youkai managed to grasp the hilt of the demonic sword. He could sense the youki fighting off the spiritual power contained in the ofuda. If nothing was done, the youkai would soon be free. With a grim look on his face Miroku carefully placed the young woman down and stepped in front of her. Grasping the beads on his right hand he told the youkai “I didn't want to use this but now I see I have little choice.” He pulled the beads free, uncovering the palm of his right hand and unsealing his curse as he called out “Behold the power of the Kazaana!” He turned his palm to face the trapped youkai and waited for the void in his hand to do its job.
 
Miroku watched grimly as the cursed hole in his hand began to suck up everything in its path. Rocks and dirt flew into the void and he saw the youkai being pulled forward. Suddenly, the youkai's forward movement stopped though he could tell that the Kazaana was still enforcing its pull. Frowning, he realized that the demonic sword had managed to wedge itself into the rocks and was preventing the youkai from being sucked in. 'Strange, it's almost as if the sword has an awareness and is trying to protect its master.'
 
Those thoughts were driven from his mind when he noticed that the youkai was suddenly free to move and then he saw the ofuda get sucked into the void. Seeing the smirk on the youkai's face as he braced himself, Miroku knew he had to end things fast. Spotting the boulders above the cave entrance, Miroku marginally shifted the aim of his Kazaana, using its power to pull the rocks free. Once the rocks began to tumble down, he resealed the Kazaana, watching in satisfaction as the youkai was buried in the rock slide.
 
Miroku waited for several long moments before he was satisfied that the youkai was dealt with. Offering a prayer to Buddha, he turned his attention to the girl. He quickly realized that she was not badly injured and only needed rest. Lifting her up, he contemplated resuming his search for a village before he noticed how close the dark clouds had gotten and heard thunder rumble in the distance. Knowing that he wouldn't be able to find a village in time to avoid the storm, he sighed before turning to face the mountain. Where one cave was located, more were bound to be nearby. He hefted the girl onto his shoulder as he began his search. However, he could not help the hand that attached itself to her rear. 'After all,' he reflected, 'I need to hold her in place somehow.'
-----------------------------
 
The storm was raging when the pile of rocks began to shift. A clawed hand shoved its way out of its prison. It was soon followed by the rest of its body as Inuyasha clawed his way free from what the houshi had intended as his grave. He heaved a deep breath as he finally dragged himself completely free of the rocks that had buried him. Raising his head, he fixed a golden eyed glare at the heavens as the pouring rain proceeded to instantly soak him.
 
Looking back at the place that had nearly become his grave he snorted as he saw that the cave entrance was completely blocked. “Feh, not much of a shelter now.” His eyes widened as he recalled just why he had been looking for a shelter. “Kagome!” His gaze darted about the area but he could see no sign of the girl or the houshi that had attacked him.
 
The rain began to ease up as he tried to track where they might have gone but Inuyasha knew it was too late. He cast one last glare at the sky as he futilely tried to find a trace of where he might find where they had gone to but the rain had completely washed away any tracks as well as their scents.
 
He growled angrily and punched a nearby tree before realizing that the houshi couldn't have gone very far due to the rain. With that epiphany, he quickly set about scouring the area for another cave.
-----------------------------
 
Kagome groaned as she awoke to a raging headache. Her head was throbbing and her side wasn't much better. She kept her eyes squeezed tight as she reached one hand up to her aching temple. Before it reached its destination, she felt another hand place a damp cloth against her forehead and gasped. Believing it to belong to her hanyou, she tried to force her eyes open while she rasped out “'N'yasha.”
 
She froze when an unfamiliar, male voice answered her. “Easy. You took quite a knock to the head but you'll be alright.” She bolted upright and tried to scramble away only to bend over in pain, one hand going to her side while the other clutched at her head.
 
“Easy, you are safe now. I mean you no harm.” The voice soothed her.
 
Getting the pain under control, she opened her eyes again and took in the sight of the voice's owner. He was a handsome man dressed in the robes of a Buddhist monk, his black hair pulled back and tied at the nape of his neck. He smiled warmly at her as he said “Yes, you're safe now. My name is Miroku. You need not fear any longer. The youkai that attacked you has been dealt with.”
 
Her eyes widened as she recalled her last memories. The bear youkai! Glancing around her surroundings, she realized that they were in a cave lit by a fire. But she didn't see Inuyasha anywhere. She felt her panic start to rise again then felt her hands come into contact with a familiar material. Glancing down she recognized Inuyasha's haori was wrapped around her. 'His haori! But where is he?' Turning to look at the houshi she rasped out “N'yasha, where-?” Her throat was tight both from the pain and worry.
 
The houshi quickly handed her a canteen. “Here drink this.” Gratefully, she did.
 
Once she had soothed her parched throat she looked at the man beside her. “Thank you houshi-sama. But where are we and where is my friend?”
 
“Please call me Miroku. If you are referring to the man I saw you with earlier, then I am afraid that he didn't make it. When I encountered you the youkai was carrying you off to its lair.” He gave her a sympathetic look. “I am deeply sorry for your loss. But fear not, he has been avenged.”
 
The canteen fell from Kagome's numb fingers as his words sunk in. 'Inuyasha? Dead?' “No” she said shaking her head. “No, he can't be dead, he can't.” Her whole body began to shake as tears welled in her eyes. She turned to the houshi once more, desperate hope that he was mistaken filling her.
 
He shook his head. “The youkai was carrying you with blood covered claws. I doubt there is much left, but if you like, I will help you search for the body once the storm is over so that he may be properly laid to rest.”
 
Kagome just sat there continuing to shake her head. She refused to believe that Inuyasha was dead. Surely that bear youkai was no match for him. Still, she could not help the tears that began to flow down her face as she clutched the haori to her body. No, the houshi had to be wrong.
 
She stiffened as she felt unfamiliar arms wrap around her and pull her to rest against a strange chest. “Shh. It's alright to feel sadness at the passing of one that you love but he is with the Kami now. Buddha will take care of him.” Kagome knew that the houshi, Miroku, was merely trying to comfort her but it felt wrong for him to hold her and she tried to push him away. But he ignored her weak attempts to free herself and continued to hold her to him. 'No this is wrong' she thought as she again tried to push him away. 'He's not Inuyasha.'
 
Suddenly she gasped as a familiar sensation shot through her body. “Inuyasha!” she cried out and found the strength to free herself from Miroku's hold as her tears dried up. She stumbled to her feet and moved to the cave entrance, haori still clutched in her arms. “He's alive! I can feel him!” The familiar sensation she felt whenever Inuyasha was nearby filled her body.
 
Behind her she could hear Miroku rise to his feet as well. “I'm afraid you are mistaken. Grief can often make one sense things that aren't there.” He approached her and tried to lead her back into the cave. “You must accept that your friend has gone to a better place. He would not want you to suffer for his death.”
 
She turned an irritated look upon him. “You're wrong. I can sense when Inuyasha is nearby and I can feel him now.” A flash of white and red caught her attention. “Inuyasha!” she cried as she ran out of the cave.
 
The rain had let up to a light drizzle that didn't hinder her at all as she ran straight for the figure ahead of her. “Inuyasha!” she cried as she flung herself forward to wrap her arms around his waist.
 
“Kagome” He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw her and then felt her arms wrap around his body, and he allowed his own arm to tighten briefly around her in return. Until he noticed the figure standing in the cave entrance, that is. Stiffening in recognition, he began to growl as he shoved Kagome behind his body. “YOU!” he snarled out as he cracked his knuckles, eager for a chance to pay the houshi back. He kept a wary eye on the houshi's right hand.
 
In the meantime, Miroku had watched in shock as the girl had run out and embraced the youkai. “He's bewitched her” he murmured. Seeing the youkai turn to face him he tightened his grip on his staff. He couldn't risk using the Kazaana with the girl so close. “Don't fear, fair maiden” he called out to the confused girl standing behind the youkai. “I shall defeat this youkai and break the spell he has put over you.”
 
Kagome could only look between the two in confusion. “What?”
 
“Keh. Stay here. I owe this bastard a beating.” With that Inuyasha unsheathed the Tessaiga and charged forward. “The only thing that's going to get broken are your bones!” he snarled as he swung his sword.
 
He gaped in shock when the houshi managed to parry the fang with his staff. “He parried the Tessaiga?!” He tried again and was again blocked. “You are no ordinary houshi. Who the hell are you, bastard?” He demanded as he leaped back to put some distance between them.
 
“The name is Miroku, and I am but a humble servant of Buddha. I will not allow you to get away with bewitching that young maiden so that you can use her for your own disgusting pleasures.”
 
Kagome slowly walked up behind Inuyasha. “What are you talking about? I'm not bewitched and Inuyasha's not using me. This is all just some misunderstanding.” She still held Inuyasha's haori in her arms.
 
Miroku shook his head. “He has placed you under his spell. Do not worry, I will break it and free you.”
 
Inuyasha shoved her back behind him when she tried to move in front of him. He glared at her in warning, then spotting his haori in her arms he took it and fastened it around her shoulders to protect her from the damp air. Jerking his head in the direction of the trees he told her “Go wait over there.” He growled at her when she opened her mouth to protest and with a sigh she complied. Hopefully they would be able to clear this mess up. She couldn't understand why Miroku-sama, who seemed like a nice guy, was reacting so poorly to Inuyasha. And her aching head was making it hard for her to think things through. Maybe if she waited over here like Inuyasha wanted things would begin to make sense.
 
Miroku watched as the girl moved to the side. Good, he now had a clear path to use the Kazaana. But still, he could not help but wonder at why the youkai seemed so protective of the girl. Was she right and this was a misunderstanding? His musings were cut short as Inuyasha once again charged forward. Miroku continued to parry and block his blows with his staff. He did not want to have to use the Kazaana if it turned out that this was all a mistake. But then, disaster struck. As he parried another strike, he lost his footing on the muddy ground and fell to the ground, his staff flung away in the fall. He looked up to see the youkai charging at him with a smirk on his face.
 
“Now I've got you” Inuyasha charged forward, intent on repaying the houshi for burying him in those rocks. But most of all he wanted to make him pay for daring to touch his bitch! His eyes widened as he saw the houshi unwrap the beads from his hand and skidding to a stop he slammed Tessaiga into the ground just as he felt the wind begin to pull at him.
 
Miroku looked sadly at the youkai clinging to his sword. He really disliked having to use the Kazaana. “How long do you think you can withstand my Kazaana?”
 
Inuyasha growled as he knelt behind the Tessaiga. He could feel the wind pulling him forward but Tessaiga held strong. Hearing Kagome call his name, he turned his head and yelled “Stay there, don't come any closer.”
 
“Yes, I would advise you to listen to him on this.” Miroku found himself forced to agree with Inuyasha. “My Kazaana will pull everything in its path in and once you are sucked in you'll never come out.”
 
Even from where she stood Kagome could feel the force of the wind sucking everything in. Her eyes widened at the houshi's words. 'That hole in his hand, it's like a black hole.' She stared worriedly at Inuyasha. She couldn't understand how this had happened. She gasped when she noticed the Tessaiga cut a groove into the earth as it and Inuyasha were pulled closer to the Kazaana.
 
“I will give you a chance to surrender. If you give up and release the girl from your spell I will let you go” Miroku offered as he watched Inuyasha try to keep from getting sucked in.
 
'He's really not a bad guy' Kagome thought as she looked between the two of them. She fought down a spike of anger at the thought that she was under a spell because she was with Inuyasha. Her head had cleared a little and she could understand where the houshi's thoughts were coming from, though she resolved to set things straight as soon as this mess was settled. 'He thought he was saving me, and he's offering to let Inuyasha go, though I know his pride will never let him accept. This is all because of me, there has to be a way to stop it.' Her eyes widened as realization hit. 'He warned me against getting too close, and he thinks this is to save me. If I-' Her thoughts trailed off as a determined look appeared on her face.
 
In the meanwhile, Inuyasha had snorted at the houshi's offer. “Keh!” He felt himself getting pulled closer. “I'll just slice that Kazaana off of you, arm and all!” he yelled as he felt the Tessaiga pull free from the ground.
 
“Fool, the Kazaana will suck you in, blade and all” Miroku said as he shook his head sadly. Suddenly his eyes widened in shock as he saw Kagome run out from the trees and throw herself into the path of the Kazaana.
 
“Inuyasha!” Kagome cried as she threw herself forward just ahead of the hanyou. She prayed that she was right.
 
“Kagome?!” Inuyasha lunged forward, futilely trying to grab a hold of her as she was sucked forward ahead of him. He just missed catching her.
 
Miroku could only stare as the girl was sucked toward his hand. Snapping out of his shock, he quickly resealed his Kazaana just before the girl reached him, causing her to smack into his body and knock them both to the ground.
 
Kagome groaned as she slowly lifted her head. She was lying on top of Miroku who was flat on his back on the ground. She slowly sat up as Inuyasha stomped over to her.
 
“Kagome, tell me you did not just leap into that on purpose!” He growled the words out as he glared down at her.
 
Kagome gulped at the look in his eyes. “Look, this is all a misunderstanding. I'm sure if we could just sit down and talk things out we could clear everything up. Miroku-sama isn't really a bad guy-” She trailed off as she felt a hand suddenly grasp her rear and start to rub. With a shriek she launched herself backwards, right into Inuyasha's grasp as he stepped forward and leveled the Tessaiga against Miroku's throat.
 
Inuyasha set one foot on the houshi's chest to keep him pinned as he turned his attention to the girl clinging to his arm. “You didn't answer my question, bitch. Did you deliberately put yourself in harm's way when I specifically told you to stay away?”
 
Kagome gulped at his question. “I knew that he wouldn't allow me to be sucked into that hole, not if he thought he was saving me. I just needed a way to make you two stop fighting long enough to clear everything up.”
 
“Damn it bitch! What have I told you about putting yourself in danger?! And you disobeyed me to do it!” He glared at her as she fidgeted.
 
“Excuse me but do you think you could save your little spat for a time when you aren't holding a sword to my throat?” Miroku gulped as the glare was redirected at him. “Then again, by all means, carry on.”
 
Inuyasha growled down at the houshi below him as he pressed the point of Tessaiga into his throat just short of drawing blood. “You dared to lay your hands on my bitch?!” He froze as something else came to his attention. Sniffing, his growl deepened as he recognized the scent. “You! You were the one spying on Kagome yesterday! I'm going to claw your eyes out.”
 
Kagome flushed but couldn't help the rush of pleasure she felt when Inuyasha referred to her so possessively. Still, she knew she couldn't let this continue. Even the embarrassment at knowing that Miroku had seen her naked wasn't enough to stop her. “Inuyasha stop, please. I'm sure we can discuss this calmly and rationally. I'm sure Miroku-sama would agree not to attack if you let him up so we could clear up this misunderstanding. Right, Miroku-sama?” she asked as she looked down at the houshi.
 
Miroku carefully nodded his head, all too aware of the sword point pressing into his neck, as he was quick to agree. “Of course Kagome-sama. I promise to be on my best behavior.” At her surprised look he stated “That is your name, is it not? I could not help but overhear your companion refer to you by it.”
 
Inuyasha continued to glare at him for a moment before finally giving in to Kagome's pleading look. Stepping back, he sheathed the Tessaiga and folded his arms over his chest as he warned “I'm watching you bouzu, you better not try anything.” Shifting his gaze to Kagome he added “And don't think I'm done with you either. I'll deal with you later.”
 
Kagome gulped at his tone of voice but said nothing.
 
In the mean time, Miroku had risen to his feet and was dusting his robes off. Satisfied, he turned to face the hanyou and bowed. At Inuyasha's shocked look he spoke up. “I am deeply sorry for attacking you. I jumped to conclusions and acted without confirming the situation, and for that you have my most sincere apologies.”
 
Inuyasha could only gape at him in shock. A houshi was apologizing for attacking him, a hanyou? Had hell frozen over?
 
Miroku smirked lightly at the look on his face. “Please don't be so surprised. I can admit when I am mistaken. And regardless of how the situation had looked, I should have investigated further before acting.”
 
“Keh. What was there to investigate? You saw me, a hanyou, carrying an unconscious human woman. Of course you jumped to that conclusion, just like anybody else would.” Inuyasha huffed bitterly. “You figured that I'm an evil monster that couldn't possibly have any good intentions.”
 
“Yes, and that was wrong of me. I, of all people, should have known better. One of my oldest friends happens to be a Tanuki, so I know that just because one is of youkai heritage does not mean that one is evil.” He then turned to regard Kagome. “And I apologize to you as well. You tried to correct me earlier, and in my arrogance I assumed that you had been bewitched.” He bowed to her as well.
 
Kagome blushed as she tried to wave off his apologies. Her earlier thoughts of berating him for jumping to conclusions just because Inuyasha was a hanyou were forgotten when he apologized so sincerely. “Please Miroku-sama, it's alright. Let's just forget about it, okay?” A thought occurred to her and she asked “But I am curious about your-what did you call it? Kazaana?”
 
He sighed as he regarded his sealed hand. “Yes, the Kazaana. My curse.” At their looks he gestured back to the cave. “It is a bit of a story. Perhaps we would be more comfortable inside?”
 
Inuyasha eyed him warily for a moment before complying. Keeping Kagome close to him, he followed the houshi into the cave and sat on the opposite side of the fire.
 
Miroku poked at the fire to rekindle it, then seeing the impatient expression on the hanyou's face he sighed and began. Raising his right arm, he showed them the sealed Kazaana. “You see, this bottomless void in my hand is the result of a curse by a strong youkai named Naraku.” Kagome frowned at the name. For some reason it sounded familiar though she couldn't remember where she had heard it.
 
“The story starts nearly fifty years ago with my grandfather. He was a strong houshi in his youth. He encountered Naraku at some point, and their battle spanned for several years. But each time that they met, Naraku stole the form of a different mortal, for he was a shape-shifter. But in their final confrontation, Naraku assumed the form of a beautiful woman. My grandfather possessed incredible spiritual powers but he was also, well-”
 
“Keh! He was a lecher too, wasn't he?” Inuyasha interrupted with a snort as he glared at the houshi.
 
Miroku laughed nervously before agreeing. “I guess you could put it that way. When my grandfather lowered his guard, Naraku struck. He pierced my grandfather's hand, straight through his sealing scroll. As he left, he told my grandfather that this curse would eventually swallow him whole, and would be passed down through my family until either Naraku is defeated or my family line is extinguished.” He sighed again as he stared at his covered hand. “I have possessed this void since I was ten and my father was consumed by the hole in his own palm. Every year the void grows wider and the winds stronger. I have made it my life's goal to defeat Naraku and end this curse. If I cannot defeat Naraku, then in a few years I will suffer the same fate.” Clenching his fist tightly he rose and slowly walked around the fire to kneel before Kagome as Inuyasha warily watched with a warning growl.
 
“And that leads me to my second goal. If I cannot defeat Naraku, then I must leave behind an heir to carry on my work.” Miroku reached out and took the confused Kagome's hands into his own. “And so I must ask this request of you. Kagome-sama, would you do me the honor of bearing my child?”
 
Kagome could only gape at him in shock before she was roughly pulled behind an enraged hanyou. Inuyasha quickly shoved the houshi away from them with a snarl. “Oi! What the hell do you think you are doing?! If you ever lay a hand on Kagome again I'll-”
 
“My apologies. I did not realize that you two were together.”
 
“Keh. I protect Kagome. She's my responsibility.” Inuyasha continued to glare at the houshi. “You will stay away from her.”
 
“Of course, but if you are merely her protector then isn't it up to her to decide?” At Inuyasha's snarl Miroku raised his hands in surrender and backed away.
 
“Keh! Come on wench, it's time for us to go. We'll find another camp for the night.”
 
Kagome absently wished Miroku luck with his quest before retrieving her belongings and allowing Inuyasha to pull her out of the cave. Her mind was to busy pondering his words to argue. 'His responsibility? Inuyasha, is that all that I mean to you?'
---------------------------------
 
Wow. I think that this was the longest chapter yet. Please let me know what you think. I'm not too sure about the ending on this one. Don't worry, we'll see Miroku again. If you recall, they did go their separate ways in canon before joining together. And I know that people are getting tired of Kagome being confused and doubtful of Inuyasha's feelings. That will all be cleared up in the next chapter and she won't doubt Inuyasha again. But that doesn't mean that she won't sometimes feel like a burden. Remember, she's hundreds of years in the past, away from anything familiar, and unlike in the series, she can't go home whenever things get too difficult. Inuyasha is really the only one that she knows and trusts, and she knows that she can't survive in that era without him. But she also realizes that a lot of the problems he is facing are caused by her. For example, the baboon-man is trying to kill her, not Inuyasha. So she will at times blame herself for being a burden.