InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Purity ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Purity

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Sesshoumaru looked out across the field Rin was in, curiously peaceful for once. The enlarged group of evil hanyou hunters had split up and taken a break, as the young miko had needed to return home to stock up on supplies - and go to this place of tutoring that she was apparently required to attend - at least sometimes.

The only downside to being away from his pest of a younger half-brother was the fact that Rin seemed to miss the little priestess a great deal.

And he could understand why, he decided, somewhat idly. After all, the girl did mother his ward, and it was something that no one else had done - he supposed that it was something that the child needed.

He had to admit that traveling with the ningen priestess wasn't so bad, in fact, if he thought about it, really, the only annoying one in the group was the hanyou. Odd, that. He would never have believed that traveling with ningens, other than Rin of course, would be anything other than trying.

Not that they couldn't be irritating at times, but as far as he was concerned, pretty much any other being was annoying sometimes - the tolerable ones were those that were irritating less than the others.

With a frown, another realization came to him.

Rin had always been the only ningen that he could stand to be around at all times - but now, he had to admit that the miko was another. He didn't really miss her presence, per say, but when she was around...

She didn't annoy him just by being there.

Interesting...

He was pulled from his musings by Rin's voice.

"Sesshoumaru-sama?" she asked, rather quietly. "When is Kagome-sama coming back?"

He looked down at her and placed a hand on her head, a certain softening visible in his eyes as he gazed at her.

"She will return this afternoon, Rin." He raised a brow at her. "Is there some specific reason that you require the miko's presence?"

Rin blushed, then looked down at her feet, clasping her little hands together, she said, "Not really, Sesshoumaru-sama. Rin just misses her." She looked up at him, then smiled a bit. "Although... she did say she was going to bring me another scrapbook - since mine is already full, you know."

"I see." A curious thought crossed his mind then, and he asked the little girl, "Rin, which flower in your book represents the miko?"

Her little face lit up at that, and she ran to Ah-Uhn, grabbing her book from the saddlebag on his left flank. Skipping quickly back to her lord, she thumbed through the pages until she came to one very near the end, then held it up for Sesshoumaru to see.

He took the book, a bit surprised to see a drawing, in color, of a certain flower, and he tilted his head, unsure of what to make of it.

"Why is this flower drawn - and what does it stand for?"

"Well, Sesshoumaru-sama, this is a white lily, and Kagome-sama drew it for me, since she couldn't find any for me to put in here. It means purity - and Rin wanted it for Kagome-sama because she is the most pure-hearted person that ever existed - if she was in heaven, she'd be a kami, Rin is sure of it."

To say that the daiyoukai was shocked was an understatement, and he stared down at Rin's earnest face for several moments.

"Why do you say that, Rin?"

"Because Kagome-sama loves and accepts everyone for who they are. Rin heard Miroku-sama say once that Kagome-sama was more capable of unconditional love than anyone who wasn't a kami could be, and that that is what makes her heart and soul so pure."

Unconditional... love? Does such a thing even exist?

Rin's smile widened then. "Shippo told Rin that he's seen Kagome-sama's soul once - when that bad lady's sister tried to steal it. He said it was like a shining, beautiful, huge light - and Rin thinks that is because Kagome-sama is love - love is a bright white light just like her soul. Rin saw that light when Sesshoumaru-sama brought Rin back from the darkness - Rin followed it, and then she found you!"

Purity... and love. In a ningen.

His eyes flickered as he watched Rin scamper back into the field of flowers.

Perhaps, he thought, admittedly grudgingly, Rin isn't the only ningen capable of higher understanding.

Time will tell.

Rin grinned as she snuck a peak at her Lord's thoughtful face from under her eyelashes, then turned and began picking flowers again.

---oOo---

A/N: You know, I really love Rin. I wish I could have a Rin. Why can't I have a Rin? I think I'm going to go pout now.

Amber