InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ I Can't Live Without You ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I Can't Live Without You

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Sesshoumaru had watched the display going on before the group with revolted fascination. The ookami princeling, Koga, had blown into camp in his trademark whirlwind, claiming to be unable to the live without the miko and presenting her with flowers - he had been told by Rin that they were primroses - and of course, this set Inuyasha off.

Currently, Kagome was standing on the sidelines with her friends and her kit, while Koga and Inuyasha fought over her like she was an object. This, he didn't understand.

Ningen she may be, but surely it was demeaning to her to act in such a fashion? He watched her as she got angry and as she listened to the two fighting over her like a bone, and then as she tried to intervene in the fight.

Obviously, the two were fools - because she didn't appreciate being treated like a thing to be owned.

Before she could begin to yell, however, Sesshoumaru moved forward, voice cutting through all the taunts of the two other males, and silencing them.

"What is it that you fight over?"

Everyone turned to stare at him, and Koga grunted his answer.

"Not that you'd understand - but I'm fighting for Kagome. She's my woman, and this mutt keeps interfering." He cast Inuyasha a filthy glance as he growled. "Although I don't know why, since he already has his own woman - even if she is dead."

"Shut up, Koga! She's not your woman!"

Sesshoumaru raised a brow at his brother's comment. "And yet, the wolfling speaks truly. You have your own woman. This miko is not yours, nor do you have the right to say who she can be courted by."

Inuyasha clutched Tessaiga with both hands, eyes flickering red. "Back off, Sesshoumaru," he managed to get out around jaws clenched with rage.

"Miko, do you appreciate this behavior between the two?"

"Of course not! Neither one of the bakas own me - and they need to get it through their heads!"

"You promised me, Kagome. You promised to stay with me, not Koga!"

"And that was my choice, Inuyasha! Koga coming around and talking trash isn't going to change my choice! But you with your possessiveness just might! You have Kikyou," she said, voice quieting with sadness, "and nothing is going to change that. Keep acting like you own me, and you'll find out the hard way that you don't."

She turned on her heel and started to leave, then paused, and looked over her shoulder at Koga. "That goes for you, too, Koga. You do not own me. Remember that." With that, she moved off, completely ignoring the two fools standing behind staring at her.

Sesshoumaru stared after her as well, with a somewhat surprised expression.

She threatened them...

Rin moved up and clasped his hand, and when he looked down at her, she nodded towards Kagome's disappearing figure.

"Kagome-sama doesn't feel the same way the wolf does, Sesshoumaru-sama. He says that he can't live without her, but the thing is, she can live without him." She glanced at Inuyasha then, away from the wolf that was glaring at her. "And I think that she's beginning to realize that she could live without Inuyasha-sama, too."

The Lord looked down at his ward thoughtfully for a moment, then at Inuyasha and Koga. "Tell me, wolf... you are a full-blooded youkai - and yet... you chase a ningen female. Do you not see a relationship with her as a dilution of your blood?"

At first, Koga growled, thinking that he was being taunted, but then he noticed the daiyoukai's curious gaze, so he answered him, speaking loudly so he would be heard over Inuyasha's ranting.

"Why would I? Kagome is everything a mate, a wife, should be. She is kind, usually, caring, a great mother, as you can see with your own kid, beautiful - and she is powerful, if untrained. There are youkai women all over the place - and they're all the same - boring. There is, however, only one Kagome."

Those words echoed in Sesshoumaru's ears for the rest of that day, and throughout the night.

And so... he cannot live without you, miko. Hmph.

Yet... he is correct that there is only one you.

Just as there is only one Rin.

---oOo---

A/N: And now, he's thinking. While he's always thought of humans as below him, and a relationship with one as out of the question and as a taint - now, the thought that other youkai may not see it as so is in his mind. Along with the thought that Kagome is unique.

Amber