InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Jealousy ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Jealousy

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Inuyasha was jealous.

There was no getting around it, he had been watching his brother watching Kagome for days now - and it had every hackle he possessed raised.

Even the normally effective mantra about the Icicle's disdain for humans wasn't working - because the normally stoic Ice prince didn't have one ounce of disdain in his gaze when he stared at her.

He had just about everything else in his gaze except disdain.

And that wasn't good.

Ever since the day that Koga had shown up, and that odd question that Sesshoumaru had asked the wolf, Inuyasha had been worried. Because he'd seen the somewhat stunned look in Sesshoumaru's eyes when Koga had answered - and the weighing look that he'd pinned the girl with for hours afterwards.

He'd been thinking about what Koga had said - actually considering it.

That was very bad.

As for that kid - he scowled at the thought - she was lethal with that mouth of hers - she had a knack for picking up on things that most adults didn't, and she was showing him up.

In front of his brother and Kagome.

And that was the worst part of this whole thing.

He was good at messing things up on his own, he didn't need some kid highlighting his mistakes for Kagome to see.

With an irritable growl, he stared out into the meadow he was sitting in, and idly picked a flower, twirling it in his fingers, unaware of what he was doing.

He almost started when Kagome sat down next to him, he'd been so lost in his nightmarish thoughts that he'd not noticed her coming.

"What's wrong, Inuyasha?"

"Feh. What's wrong? Us having to travel with that monster of a brother of mine, that's what," he said, sourly. "I hate him being here. Do we have to do this - I mean, we were fine without them before, ne?"

Kagome sighed. "Inuyasha, what's your problem? He hasn't done anything to you, he isn't trying to steal something of yours - he hasn't even looked at Tessaiga... so I just don't get why you're having such a hard time with this. Just ignore him if you can't get along."

He whipped around and glared at her. "What do you mean, not trying to steal something of mine? He is, too!"

Kagome looked taken aback. "What's he trying to steal, Inuyasha?"

He suddenly looked away, a shifty look crossing his face, but before Kagome could question him further, Rin popped up.

"Here, Inuyasha-sama, have another flower."

He stood up and glared at the little girl, then yelled, "Feh! See? That creep is always making her interrupt us - we never get a chance to be alone without her or the Ice Lord interfering!" Ignoring Kagome's shocked look, and then her rising anger, he turned and leapt away, disappearing into the darkness.

Kagome shook her head, then glanced at Rin. "I'm sorry, Rin. I don't know why he's acting like that."

"He's jealous, Kagome-sama. He doesn't like it when you spend time with other people... but Rin doesn't think that's fair, since he spends time with that other lady," she said, a thoughtful frown furrowing her tiny brow. "It's kinda funny that he acted like that here, though."

Kagome stared at her, astounded, although, I really shouldn't be, she mused. The child was always coming out with things that were incredibly astute.

"What do you mean, here?"

Rin smiled up at her. "Don't you recognize the flowers in this field, Kagome-sama? They're marigolds, according to the book you gave me, they stand for jealousy."

Kagome's eyes widened, and she stared around herself. "Huh... I never even noticed."

Rin giggled.

How strangely appropriate that he'd be acting like that here with all these flowers.

And that Rin is the one that noticed.

---oOo---

A/N: Irony is so ironic.

Amber