InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ I'm Really Sincere ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'm Really Sincere

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Sesshoumaru stared at the flowers laying on the miko's pillow, and narrowed his eyes, the only visible sign of displeasure to anyone that happened to be awake.

Inside, he was very irritated.

So, the hanyou is going to continue to try to woo the miko back to him - and away from me. Does he think that I will simply allow this?

Fool. I am her protector now.

His brow furrowed for a moment as he ran through his memory in search of the flower and its meaning, and his eyes narrowed further when it clicked.

Gladioli. 'I'm really sincere'.

Sincere. He snorted disdainfully. Hardly. He is only sincere until he has what he wants - and then he will take her for granted once again.

Should I remove the flowers... or no? She was not overly happy about the last ones he gave her, but... I was able to use them to my own advantage - maybe I can do the same here.

He turned away, looking out into the forest, a thoughtful look settling on his features.

I have promised much of myself to the little priestess - and yet, as much as I have thought about it, I cannot say why I have done so, except that I want to.

Is that really enough of a reason?

Seemingly lost in thought, he moved towards the boulders at one end of the camp, and sat down againt them, alert and aware, yet still thinking deeply on the subject of the miko.

Perhaps this is a weakness that simply lies in the blood of the inu, and like father before me, protecting ningens is my fate.

But does this really weaken me?

He thought back to all his times with Rin, before joining this group of people, and couldn't honestly say that Rin had caused any weakness on his part - he protected her because he wanted to, and he was more than capable of doing so.

It was the same with the miko. Protecting her was no hardship, either.

It was just a fact; she needed a protector, and he chose to do so. Anyone that wanted to harm her, would have to get through him, and since there was no one that was powerful enough to do it, there was no weakness.

Father would certainly be amused at the fact that it took me this long to see this issue as so easily resolved - although I still cannot understand my desire to care for her, I suppose the reasons will become known to me in time.

He settled his gaze on the tiny woman curiously.

There is her scent, he mused, it is very calming. I suppose that is the mother in her. Yes... she was made to be a mother, that much even I can see.

He was pulled from his musings as she stirred in her bedding, and he waited calmly to see what her reaction would be to the flowers.

It was actually a good thing that the hanyou was such a coward, not sticking around to see the effect of his offering; it gave him the chance to turn things to his own advantage.

Kagome could smell the flowers before she even opened her eyes, seeing as they were pretty much right in her face, and she sighed.

Great. More flowers. It's funny - I always loved getting flowers from others, but now, I wish it would stop. It hurts that he's doing this.

"I know you are awake, miko, and aware of the blooms on your pillow."

She opened her eyes and turned her head to look over at the daiyoukai, a resigned expression on her face.

"Yeah... so," she finally looked at the flowers, "gladioli, huh? I know he thinks he means it, and he's afraid that I'll leave him, but..."

"And will you not, miko?"

Sitting up and folding her legs under her, she shook her head. "No. Inuyasha will always be my friend. That will never change, it's just... different now, that's all. I... had hoped... well, anyway, that won't happen now. It will only ever be just friends. But I won't abandon him."

Sesshoumaru tilted his head, looking into the early morning sky, thinking over what she'd said.

She is loyal... far more than the half-breed deserves, after all, he did not return that loyalty. But I cannot fault her for it - to not be so would be to go against everything that she is...

After a few moments of contemplative silence, he looked down at her. "Keep the flowers, miko. These flowers might mean one thing in this rather odd language that your people have developed... but they are also still just flowers. Enjoy them, irrespective of any meaning other than the most basic - a gift of nature."

Kagome stared at him blankly for several seconds, then chuckled. "You know, you're right. I'm kind of over-analyzing things, aren't I? I think I'll take your advice." She winked at him, then glanced at the still-sleeping Rin.

"Once Rin wakes up, I'll braid them into her hair, how's that?"

He blinked, then his golden gaze shifted from her, to the child.

"It is most appropriate in meaning for her, at any rate, miko - Rin is always sincere."

Kagome grinned at him.

"How very true. Thank you again, Sesshoumaru-sama." She tilted her head, looking at him with a curious expression for a moment. "You know... I've been saying that to you a lot lately, haven't I?"

The daiyoukai merely raised a brow at her, and still smiling, she stood up, and began to prepare herself for another day of shard hunting.

I suppose it's because lately I really do have a lot to be thankful to him for.

---oOo---

A/N: Sesshoumaru's really beginning to think now... and so is Kagome.

Amber