InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ You May Hope ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

You May Hope

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters if Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Sango watched Kagome as they bathed; the day had been long, and surprisingly, Sesshoumaru had seemed to know just what Kagome had needed, finding them a place to camp near a large hot spring.

She'd watched over the last month since the situation with Kikyou had come to a head - and been resolved, though not in the way any of them had ever thought it would be.

And what she was seeing was, in a word, incredible. Almost unbelievable.

He cares for her - it is obvious. That is why Inuyasha is so frantic, he realizes that he's lost far more than his rights as her protector - he's going to lose her to his brother permanently.

And Kagome... she is harder to read, only because she is still recovering from Inuyasha's careless use of her heart. But I think... no, I am sure, that she is beginning to fall for the youkai lord that has done so much for her, so unexpectedly.

Who would ever have thought - these two? He, hating ningens so - and Kagome, gentle, loving Kagome? Kami must have a strange sense of humor.

"What's on your mind, Kagome?"

Kagome looked up from her contemplation of the rings her finger was drawing on the surface of the water, and grimaced slightly. "Not much, really... just... you know," she waved a hand vaguely in the air, "stuff."

Sango chuckled wryly. "No, I don't know 'stuff' unless you tell me."

She sighed, turning her head up and looking at the night sky. "About me, and Inuyasha... and about Sesshoumaru." She frowned. "He's been in my thoughts a lot lately."

"First off, what are you thinking about Inuyasha?"

"Just wishing that he could see that things are different - and leave them that way. He just won't accept that things will never go back to what they were - too much has passed between us, and most of it wasn't good."

With a nod, Sango agreed. Inuyasha was hanging onto the past stubbornly - it seemed that was a particular failing of his. "I agree with you about Inuyasha. You did the right thing there - it would never have worked out," she said, sympathy heavy in her voice.

"And what about Sesshoumaru?"

At that, Kagome blushed and looked away, and Sango laughed. "Uh-huh. Well, can't say as I blame you - he is very handsome, after all."

The blush deepened, and Kagome looked down. "I shouldn't think of him that way, Sango, I'll only get hurt worse than I did by Inuyasha. Yes, he's gorgeous, caring, strong, and honorable - but I'm ningen, and he's youkai, and you know he despises ningens. There is no hope."

With a decidedly depressed look on her face, she stood up quickly and moved to the bank, grabbing a towel and wrapping it around herself. "I'm going to head back to camp, Sango, thanks for the company."

Sango shook her head as her friend dressed quickly and left. Poor thing... she's worrying herself for nothing, I'm sure of it.

Sesshoumaru stared off into the dark under the trees, brow furrowed in deep thought. He'd heard the conversation between the two - he wasn't trying to eavesdrop, but he was guarding his miko while she was vulnerable, and they never seemed to remember his advanced hearing.

So... she is attracted to this Sesshoumaru. I... do not find her regard... disturbing. That is strange, as she said, I have always hated ningens - but I do not hate her. The realization came to him slowly, but it was valid, nonetheless.

There is... a regard on my behalf for her as well - but how far does it go? This is still what I do not understand within myself. I can admit I find her to be an attractive woman - her scent is lovely, and she is intelligent and loyal - all good qualities that would be desirable in a wife.

So where does that lead me?

Would I actually consider... such a thing?

He sat there for a long time, mulling over the situation he'd found himself in. He'd had the miko on his mind almost constantly lately, but hadn't really thought this far, when he'd overheard her and the slayer. That's when a few things began to come to his attention...

He sighed almost inaudibly. And if I even have to ask that question, then the answer would be... perhaps. It is certain that I could not say no, and mean it. But I do not know if I could say yes, either - not yet. So... maybe.

He cast his gaze at the heavens. I should tell her, somehow.

With a little more thought, he came upon an acceptable way, and heading for camp, instructed Inuyasha that he was in charge, and that he would return shortly. With that, he took to the skies, heading someplace specific to gather what he needed.

The next morning, Kagome woke once again to the scent of a flower on her pillow - this time, one, single ivory rose that flushed to a shell pink on the tender insides of the bud.

She sat up, eyes wide, and picked it up gently, before looking around at the suddenly quiet group of people.

Her first thought is that it was from Inuyasha again, but when she caught his eye, she clearly saw his scowl, and knew that it wasn't him.

She felt Sesshoumaru's presence behind her, and turned to look up at him. He nodded at the flower in her hand.

"This one felt that you needed to see this particular flower - I'm sure if you look in your little book, you will find the meaning of it." With that, he turned and walked towards the fire, taking a seat there, and with a confused glance at Sango, she reached over and obediently pulled out her little flower book.

When she found the meaning of the flower, she sat back, her eyes wide and shocked.

What...? He must have heard us last night!

Her face flushed, and she looked down at the rose, then over at him, meeting his steady gaze.

I can't... does he really mean what I think he means?

He nodded slowly at her, while his brother looked on with jealousy and suspicion, and everyone else watched with curiosity.

"You may hope."

She flushed even deeper, and looked back down at the rose with a small, but sincere smile.

Hope... something I haven't had in so long. And Sesshoumaru is the one to give it back to me - how utterly ironic.

---oOo---

A/N: And before everyone asks, no, he isn't in love with her, and she isn't with him, either yet, they are attracted. After thinking about it, Sesshoumaru has realized he's not against the idea of there being something with her, so he's saying to her that she can hope, that it is possible there could be something there. That's all - yet. There's a lot more to come in this story.

Amber