InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Regard ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Regard

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

It had been a week, now, since the day that Sesshoumaru had made the singular advance towards Kagome - that there was a possiblity of more between them than 'just friends'.

Kagome was still in shock, and just couldn't quite believe it.

For Sesshoumaru, who hated ningens, to even admit that he was attracted to her, was a major surprise... let alone to basically say he was willing, at this point, to see where this thing between them would go.

Because that's exactly what he'd done - and in front of everyone, too.

"You may hope."

Three simple words... and yet, they encompassed so much.

Needless to say, Rin, Shippo, and surprisingly, Jaken, not to mention Sango, were all pleased with what was going on. Kagome chuckled at that thought. She'd have thought Jaken would have screamed louder than Inuyasha - but the little toad had grown very fond of Kagome, and wasn't upset at all.

Miroku seemed to be neutral at this point, and Kagome figured it was because he was worried about Inuyasha. She wasn't surprised; the hanyou was his closest friend, even if he didn't necessarily agree with some things that he'd done.

But she knew he was also concerned about her as well - not wanting to see her hurt again.

Inuyasha was completely outraged, and he made no effort to hide it - but she'd expected it, so it didn't really bother her much.

Of course, part of that was because Sesshoumaru was shielding her from a great deal of his ire - and she knew it, even though he'd tried to hide it from her.

He's so protective - but it's not at all like I thought it would be. He doesn't just take care of my physical safety - he takes care of everything. Mental, emotional and physical... it's all the same to him.

I didn't even know what I was missing with Inuyasha... there's so much more there with Sesshoumaru.

I feel... warm. And safe.

She looked up to where the daiyoukai was walking at the front of the group, and smiled to herself as she watched his gorgeous hair sway from side to side as he walked.

Very warm.

Sesshoumaru felt her gaze land on him as thought he'd been hit. He didn't even need to see her to know when she was looking at him, and when she looked away. He was simply hyper-aware of her every move.

He'd also noticed that he was much more aware of their surroundings, as well. It was as if his every instinct was forcing all his senses to work at their peak - to make sure that what was his was protected completely.

He'd never reacted quite this strongly to just Rin - another point in favor of the young woman trailing along behind him.

Still, he was daiyoukai enough not to react too quickly to any circumstance - if he had any fault, in fact, it was a tendency to over-analyze... to take too long sometimes in considering a situation.

It was a fault that he had to watch - sometimes taking too long was just as dangerous as not taking long enough to think about things.

This is definitely one of those times. Of course, I do not want to think too hard about this, anyway - I will just let nature take its course, because the time for thinking is done - I already have thought about this, and I do not wish to turn her away - all that is left is to let whatever is going to happen, do so, however...

My regard for her... it deepens quickly - quicker than I thought it would.

He was pulled from his thoughts by Rin.

"Sesshoumaru-sama?"

He looked down at her as she walked at his side. "Yes, Rin?"

"I got this flower for you to put in Rin's flower book." She held up a yellow flower, and his brow rose. "It's a da-daffodil," she spit out, having trouble with the word for some reason, and his eyes smiled down at her. "It stands for regard... Kagome-sama told Rin that it means 'to look upon favorably'."

He reached down slowly and took the flower, looking at it, then back down to the child smiling up at him so trustingly.

"Yes, Rin," he said slowly, "that is correct. And," he glanced back over his shoulder at the miko, "it is... a good flower to stand for the priestess. How did you know?" he asked, brow raised.

Rin grinned up at him, eyes shining happily. "Rin knows Sesshoumaru-sama very well. You don't say things a lot, and you don't show things in your expressions, but you sometimes show things in your eyes. And in the things you do."

He nodded at her, and she took the flower back and walked back to Ah-Uhn, leaving him to his thoughts once again.

Regard.

'To look upon favorably'.

That is an excellent way of saying exactly how I see her at this time.

I am positive however,
he thought, that this 'regard' will deepen.

He glanced back at the miko once more.

It is only a matter of time.

---oOo---

A/N: Regard... well. Anyway, its better than being seen as a nuisance ningen. She's making headway! Go Kagome! Oh... I'm actually excited - the next several chapters are really good, I love the way they turned out!

Amber