InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Caution ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Caution

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Kagome was still thinking about the meeting with Kagura several days later - and so was Sesshoumaru. The rest of the group, however, seemed to have all but forgotten it.

Apparently, whatever it was about the encounter that had tipped Kagome off, hadn't been noticed by anyone else.

Even Sesshoumaru, though he'd noted the flower left behind, hadn't really noticed anything off about Kagura herself, so Kagome was left to try to figure out just what it was about the encounter that was driving her instincts insane.

Come on, Kagome, there's some clue in what was said, otherwise, you wouldn't have known something was wrong. So what was it?

While Kagome was preoccupied with figuring out the puzzle, Sesshoumaru was left trying to figure out why he had reacted as he had to the kaze's 'offer'. True, she was, as he had said to her, merely a construct of Naraku, and as such, beneath him, but still - he had realized in the instant that the offer had been made that he would have reacted the same way no matter who had made it.

Youkai female or not.

That was surprising to him, because up 'til now, something like that would not have garnered a negative reaction from him on its own.

But it seemed that something in him was looking more and more towards the miko - and refusing to look anywhere else. As that realization took hold in his conscious mind for the first time, he examined it from every angle - and found that it was true...

And it did not offend any part of him that it was so.

Apparently, every part of him was ready to see the miko as a relationship - and an exclusive one.

He glanced back over his shoulder at her from the corner of his eye. So... she is mine to protect - and I want more of her to be mine, more... beyond just someone to take care of.

How much more?

I am... unsure what to label this, yet...

Rin watched him watching Kagome with a secret smile... as far as she and Shippo were concerned, things were going extremely well between the two.

It wouldn't be long.

Everyone else noticed the same things, and while Sango and Miroku were rather pleased that the powerful dai was so protective of their friend, Inuyasha was just pained.

This is how it should have been between her and I - if I'd been smarter and not a blind baka.

"I've got it!" Kagome shouted out triumphantly from her spot still on the back of Ah-Uhn, startling the group out of their thoughts. Everyone came to a halt and looked at her, confused.

Sesshoumaru turned to face her, a questioning look on his face, and she cheerfully tossed him her little flower book, a teasing smile on her face. "Look up the meaning of oleander, Sesshoumaru-sama."

He raised a brow at her, then with a barely audible sigh, he decided to humor her, and scanned down the page 'til he found it. His brow climbed higher.

"Caution?" He looked up at her. "Why?"

"I finally figured out what was wrong with that whole thing with Kagura," she waved a hand meaningfully to indicate the kaze. "In all the time since Naraku created her, Kagura herself never cared for the jewel - the only thing she ever cared for was getting away from Naraku." She looked around at everyones faces excitedly.

"But when we saw her this time... she was very interested in it, wasn't she? And then, wanting to travel with us while we re-gathered the shards?"

Sesshoumaru frowned as he ran that through his mind. True - even when she offered me shards, she was willing to give them freely for me to kill Naraku - so she could get away from her master. She had no ambition to keep them for herself.

"Don't you all see? Something is going on with Kagura - remember Kaguya?" She looked at Inuyasha. "In order to draw her out, he pretended to be dead, guys... and then used Kohaku to regenerate himself."

At that, the entire group except Sesshoumaru looked horrified - he merely looked intrigued.

"So, you think that he may be doing something similar here," he mused. "It is certainly possible - he has always been good at planning ahead. He would realize that we would have to reassemble the jewel if he scattered it and 'died', and using another, he could infiltrate the pack - and be on hand when it was made whole once more."

He glanced up at Kagome. "Impressive, miko. Caution, indeed. I will consider this - there may be a way to use the knowledge to our advantage." With that, he turned and continued walking, leaving the group to follow after.

Kagome glowed happily at the compliment she'd received from him, a soft blush on her cheeks.

He didn't give them often - so when he did, it was something to be treasured.

---oOo---

A/N: Sneaky, sneaky, Naraku. Looks like it's not as over as they thought. Hope everyone enjoys!

Amber