InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Wealth ( Chapter 35 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wealth

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

For the first time since the Western Lord had joined the group of shard hunters, they were all heading in to a ningen village. Sesshoumaru was not fond of the dwelling places of non-youkai and tended to avoid them - the unpleasant smells associated with them were too strong for him to really be able to ignore.

This time, however, he made an exception.

Within moments of breaching the outer perimeter of the village, he wished that he had not.

It only took seconds, and he was hearing whispered comments about Kagome's clothing - and her probable profession due to the brevity of said clothes.

He glanced back at her, curious. Can she not hear what is being said? He found her with her usual smiling, happy countenance, and realized that she could not, and his brow darkened with a frown.

I do not want her to hear what they are saying about her, therefore... he motioned Jaken forward, and gave him certain instructions in a low tone, then handed him a heavy bag of gold.

The imp scampered off as soon as it was in hand, the instructions of his lord clear in his mind.

The next day, just after everyone had woken, Jaken returned, bearing a large parcel, and placed it before Sesshoumaru with a low bow.

"I did as you requested, Sesshoumaru-sama, and found the best quality garments that the town had to offer."

Miroku, Sango, Shippo and Kagome looked mystified, but Rin, and surprisingly, Inuyasha, didn't. He'd always known the things the villagers said about Kagome in whispers behind her back - but he didn't have money like his brother did to fix that problem, so he'd always just tried to make sure she'd never heard what people were saying.

It had been the best he could do - but it was not the best his brother could do.

"Miko, come here."

Kagome frowned uncertainly, but limped over to him, and he settled the parcel in her arms.

"You will go change into one of the kimono in this package, and from now on, you will always wear such."

At first, Kagome had merely looked dumbfounded, but by the time he'd finished speaking, her face had flushed with temper.

"I have my own clothes, Sesshoumaru-sama, and I don't need anyone telling me what I am going to wear!"

At that point, Inuyasha intervened before it could degenerate into anything worse.

He waved a hand at his brother. "I'll take care of it." He grabbed Kagome's hand and took the package with his other hand, then drew her into the trees. "Come on, Kagome, let's go."

Sesshoumaru watched them go with narrowed eyes.

Inuyasha lead the rather recalcitrant miko to a small clearing a little bit away, then let go her hand, motioning her to sit with him, and then he plopped down next to her. He looked off into the trees for a moment, then sighed.

"He isn't trying to boss you around, Kagome. I know I've never told you before, but what you wear - it's not really appropriate in my time. Everytime we go into a village, the people immediately start talking - they think you are a 'woman of easy virtue', for lack of a better way to put it."

Kagome's face blanched. "What? she whispered, completely horrified at the notion that people would actually think that.

"Haven't you paid any attention, Kagome? No normal person dresses like that."

"But... then why didn't you ever say anything before?"

At that, he looked away, ashamed. "Because I was a poor protector, in more ways than one," he admitted. "I didn't have the money to provide anything better for you. Sesshoumaru does, though."

"So... he was trying to protect me?" she asked, suddenly feeling ashamed of herself.

"Yeah. He's wealthy, Kagome, and he will use that wealth, and anything else, to provide for you. When he promised to protect you, he meant in every way. From everything."

"Oh," she breathed, uncomfortably aware that she needed to apologize for jumping to conclusions.

He stood, offering her the package, and she took it with trembling hands. "I'll go back now... you find a pretty kimono to put on, okay?" With that, he walked away, and Kagome rushed to dig through the parcel, suddenly wanting to look her best for the daiyoukai.

Sesshoumaru watched Inuyasha walk back into camp with a tightly controlled expression. When his brother caught his eye, he asked, "Does she understand?"

Inuyasha nodded. "Yeah. I explained it to her. She should be back in a few."

Perhaps I have underestimated my brother, he thought, for the first time considering that maybe, Inuyasha wasn't as much a waste of space as he'd always thought.

When Kagome walked back into the clearing a few minutes later, she was met with delighted smiles, as the group complimented her on the beautiful kimono. She blushed at the approbation she received from everyone, but didn't say anything, walking up to Sesshoumaru, she waited for him to acknowledge her.

When he did, she said, "I am sorry for the way I acted earlier, Sesshoumaru-sama. I did not understand why you bought the clothing - but I do now."

He didn't answer, but he did nod, and his eyes softened enough that she knew he had forgiven her.

I guess I always knew that he had money, but I never really thought about it before. And as the day got underway, one last thought slipped through Kagome's mind...

Tiger Lily.

Wealth.

Maybe I should try to get one in my era one of these days and show it to him.

I think he would like the flower - it
is rather unique - just like him.

She giggled to herself.

I've never been protected with money before....

Her mind went to the beautiful kimono in the package, and she smiled widely.

It's certainly nice, though!

---oOo---

A/N: Someone way back in the beginning asked me if I would use a tiger lily, and I said I would, so there it is. Kagome's learning that there are many different types of protection - and Sesshoumaru's utilizing them all on her behalf.

Amber