InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Confidence ( Chapter 36 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Confidence

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Kagome climbed out of the well in her era, and winced a bit. Her ankle, while healed, was still a bit tender, and the climb had made it twinge.

It had been several days since she'd started wearing the different lovely kimono that Sesshoumaru had bought for her, and while she had apologized for jumping to conclusions, thinking that he was trying to order her around, she still wanted something more to make her feelings on the subject apparent.

Something that would explain her reaction, so that he would understand.

With that thought in mind, she'd come back through the well - that, and because she had some things to talk to her mother about, of course.

But that was another matter.

Once she managed to make it into the house, she was disappointed to find that no one was home - her family was on a trip touring other shrines and wouldn't be back for several days.

Upset, but unable to do anything about it, she went to her room and booted up her computer, and sat down to research what she wanted.

She knew what she desired it to say, but she hadn't been able to find a flower with that specific meaning, and she was hoping that with access to the internet, the information would come.

Unfortunately, after over an hour of searching, she'd been unable to find one - instead, she'd found one plant that had the meaning she wanted, and after reading up on it, she was able to see why.

This plant was an ancient survivor - it had existed for millions of years, almost unchanged.

She thought about it for a while, and then decided to go ahead and do it - it might not be a flower, but it was beautiful, and maybe, he'd have it planted at his shiro.

The next day, packed, stocked with necessities, and with a potted plant firmly in hand, she jumped into the time stream, and waited to be delivered to the past.

As soon as the time slip was no longer active, Sesshoumaru lighted in the well behind her, and wrapping his arm around her waist, he effortlessly and elegantly brought them both out. The moment he set her down, she dropped her bag, and holding the plant, sat down.

She patted the side next to her, looking up at him almost pleadingly, and he cocked a curious brow at her, but did as she silently asked and sat with her.

"I wanted to explain why I reacted the way I did the other day, when you gave me the kimono. I think it would be a good thing for you to understand, and maybe we can avoid other potential misunderstandings between us." She set the little plant down at her side, not missing the dai's glances at it.

"Where I come from, women are expected to take care of themselves. We don't need a man to do so - that's why I spent so much time with school. When you gave me the clothes, to me, it was like you were saying that I was not able to take care of myself. That would be considered an insult to a woman in my time."

Sesshoumaru frowned. "That was not my intention, miko. While I understand what you are saying, this is not your time, and here, I am your protector - which means that I take care of all your needs."

Kagome smiled at him. "I know. Inuyasha explained... sorta. Anyway... that's what this is." She lifted the small plant, and handed it to him. "This is a fern. I wanted to find a flower, but none had the meaning I wanted to convey. This plant did, though, and it's beautiful."

He looked at the greenery curiously. He'd never seen one quite like it before. "What is its meaning, miko?"

Her smile widened as she said softly, "Confidence." He snapped his eyes up to meet hers. "I wanted you to know that I have confidence in you as my protector... and as the one that is my provider in this era."

He considered that for a while, and then nodded. Standing, he held a hand out to her and helped her up, and they began the walk back to the village in comfortable silence.

When they reached Kaede's hut, Sesshoumaru summoned Jaken, and handing him the plant, instructed him to take it to his shiro, and give the care of it over to his gardeners.

At that, a huge, bright smile spread across Kagome's face, and she took a folded piece of paper from inside her obi, handing it to Jaken.

"Those are the instructions for its care," she said happily, when Sesshoumaru sent her a questioning look. "Thank you for keeping it at your home, Sesshoumaru-sama... that way, no matter what happens to me, you'll always have something to remember me by."

Sesshoumaru stared at her for a moment, then turned away, a slight frown crossing his face.

I could never forget you, even were you to disappear back to your time.

His frown deepened at that thought.

I will not allow that, either. Perhaps I should consult Bokuseno.

I have every intention of keeping you here, miko. I said I would protect you until I die...

And I meant just that.

---oOo---

A/N: It's coming... it won't be long now, I don't think, before he finally realizes what his feelings really are. YAY!

Amber