InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Anticipation ( Chapter 37 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Anticipation

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Kagome sighed appreciatively, a gentle smile on her lips as she sank into the heated waters of the onsen. Sango had a similar look on her face.

"It's funny, Kagome. Ever since Sesshoumaru-sama took over as your protector, we've been able to have regular baths - he pays attention to everything when it comes to your comfort, doesn't he?"

"I guess so, Sango," she blushed a little, "but I don't think it's so much for my comfort as for his."

Sango frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Well, inu, you know? Sensitive noses. I think the regular baths are hints that he doesn't want to smell us," she giggled.

"I don't think that's really it, Kagome. At least, not on your end. If you haven't noticed, you have a scent that tends to send youkai into raptures - I don't think Sesshoumaru-sama finds your scent unpleasant - even when you miss a bath or two."

Kagome blushed deeper. "If you say so, Sango." It got quiet for a while after that, as the two bathed, just enjoying the peace.

Sango finished washing, and prepared to get out, looking over her shoulder at her friend, she asked, "Are you going to stay in for a while, Kagome?"

She nodded. "Yeah. The water feels good on my ankle. It's not really hurting anymore, but it still is a little sore."

"Okay. I'll see you back at camp, then." With that, she dressed and left the clearing.

Kagome sighed and leaned back against a boulder, looking around the clearing. Pretty flowers, she thought idly, smiling at the yellow flowers adorning several rather overgrown shrubs. Forsythia....

After a little while, her eyes wandered upwards to the stars, as they always did, and she allowed her thoughts to wander, feeling safe and warm - and happy.

Perhaps that's why, as she finally stood to get out of the water, she didn't notice the youkai aura until it was actually upon her - although it could be because it was being suppressed. Stunned, frozen, she stared at the very male youkai for several seconds - and then she let out with the mother of all screams.

Within seconds of the start of that scream, Sesshoumaru literally appeared in the clearing - and as he took in the sight of a very nude and vulnerable Kagome, and the male that was staring at her, entranced, his eyes flashed red in sudden, overwhelming rage, and his youki surged.

That was enough to get the male's attention off Kagome, and when he saw what he was facing, he took off, disappearing out of the clearing without any words being spoken.

As soon as he was gone, Kagome flushed fifty different shades of red and rushed to grab her towel, wrapping it around herself as she stared at the ground, absolutely mortified.

Sesshoumaru simply stood, staring out to the place the youkai had disappeared, attempting to gather his formidable control. It was more of a struggle than he would ever admit, however, the combination of his rage at the youkai seeing his miko unclothed, and himself seeing his miko unclothed, wreaking havoc within him.

Beautiful...

Finally, after several frozen minutes, Kagome asked softly, embarrassment clear in her voice, "Sesshoumaru-sama? Are you okay?"

He closed his eyes for one moment, then opened them. "Are you covered, miko?"

She sighed. "Hai, Sesshoumaru-sama, I've got a towel."

He turned to face her, then, and Kagome was taken aback at the warm look in his eyes. What...?

In an instant, he was standing before her, and Kagome watched, wide-eyed and stunned, as he lifted his hand to her face, brushing her cheek softly with his knuckles. Expression unreadable, he bent his head, and pressed a firm, but quick, chaste kiss against her lips....

And then he was gone, a "finish quickly, miko," still hanging in the air behind him.

Kagome stared at the place he'd disappeared, shocked speechless. He... he just kissed me... After a few stunned moments, she dressed herself, then made her way back to camp slowly.

The rest of the night passed quickly, with her falling asleep before Sesshoumaru returned to camp. He'd patrolled the perimeters for hours, lost in his thoughts of her.

She tasted... like honey, sweet, and her skin was so soft. I want to kiss her again - soon.

He walked back into the clearing the onsen was in, heading for the flowers growing on the bushes. Picking several, he turned and made his way back to camp.

Moving quietly over to her side, he stared down at her for several long moments, then gently laid the flowers near her pillow, and sat down against the tree nearest her and closed his eyes.

It was a long night, as far as he was concerned.

The next morning, he was awake early, waiting for her to awaken, and see the blossoms sitting next to her. He was curious to see whether she would know the meaning behind them.

When Kagome finally stirred, turning over and opening her eyes slowly, she caught sight of the blooms almost immediately, and her eyes widened, then she glanced around the clearing looking for Sesshoumaru.

As she met his eyes, he asked, "Do you know their meaning, miko?"

She blushed slightly, and shook her head. "I can't remember, my Lord."

"Forsythia. They stand for anticipation," he said, softly. At her confused expression, he elaborated.

"They signify the anticipation I feel when I think of the next time I kiss you, Kagome."

She blushed furiously and dropped her gaze to the ground, but a shy smile lit her face, and she touched gentle fingers to her lips as she remembered the feel of his kiss.

"Anticipation," she sighed. "I'm glad you want to do it again, my Lord... I would like another kiss, too."

A tiny smile lit his eyes, though his expression did not change.

"I am glad that it is so, my miko," he said.

It is something to look forward to...

To anticipate.

Kagome spent that day in a very good mood - and only Sesshoumaru knew why.

---oOo---

A/N: Well, no one can say I rushed it - 37 chapters before they even kiss - and it's a chaste one!

Amber