InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Defense ( Chapter 38 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Defense

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Sesshoumaru stared with seeming indifference at the youkai standing on the opposite side of the clearing from him. According to Kagome, the youkai had a shard of the jewel - but even with that, its aura was still weak.

This would be almost too easy, and he was seriously considering allowing Inuyasha to destroy it.

And then everything degenerated.

Suddenly, they were surrounded by Tora youkai, and the original one was proven to be the leader as the others all attacked at his orders.

Orders that included them taking Kagome for him.

He was planning on forcing his attentions upon her. Since she could see the shards of the jewel, the tora felt that she would make an acceptable wife, and didn't much care whether she wanted to be his wife or not.

Much the same as Koga.

At that realization, Sesshoumaru saw red.

The clearing quickly went from eerily silent to dangerously loud, as Sesshoumaru attacked the leader, rushing forward in a brilliant streak of white, moving so fast that nothing more than that light could be seen of him, leaving the other members of the pack in awe - including Inuyasha.

Shard enhanced or no, it was obvious from the first blows that the Tora was no match for the daiyoukai, and Kagome was suddenly made aware of just why he had never cared for the power available from the jewel.

He didn't need it.

He was already far more powerful on his own, than the jewel could ever make him.

He's so strong, I don't think there is anything that could stop him. She shivered in pleasure as something else occurred to her in that moment.

It's awe-inspiring to be what he protects with all that power - to be what he focuses upon.

Inuyasha and the group had their own battles, of course, but all were highly aware of the battle going on in the center - and of the sheer power and elegance of the Inu Lord. It was becoming readily apparent that he had never intended to actually kill his brother in their past conflicts...

He wouldn't still be alive if the powerful dai had.

It was a rather humbling realization for the half-youkai.

On the fringes of the battle stood Kagome, hovering protectively over her children, arrow drawn, and body glowing with an almost blinding corona of light - warning all those away who would dare to threaten those she saw as precious.

With a concentration and determination that she only seemed able to call when she was protecting those she cared for, she managed to create a barrier over the children and Ah-Uhn, and then she turned, firing one arrow at the two tora trying to corner Inuyasha before turning to look for another target, arrow drawn and ready just that quickly.

She wondered idly why Sesshoumaru was still fighting an opponent who was so far beneath him, but as she watched, it became apparent that he was merely toying with the youkai that had been foolish enough to threaten what was his.

His pack, his alpha female.

Just as she targeted another youkai that was harrying Jaken and fired, there came a brush against her aura - and as she glanced wildly around, she shuddered - the feel of the youki touching her was oily, dark - and she felt almost violated, in a way she hadn't since Akago had tried to grasp her soul in his manipulative hands.

Just as she turned her back towards Sesshoumaru and his victim, she caught sight of what had touched her - and with a desperate scream, she drove herself backwards, jumping protectively against the back of the silver-haired male she'd come to care so much for over the months since he'd become her protector.

It was Kagura, and she'd attempted to hit the inu in the back with her wind blades...

But they fizzled to nothingness against the defensive barrier Kagome had managed to put up seconds before the attack hit.

Everyone left in the clearing froze for one heartbeat, then, with an elegant sweep of one arm, Sesshoumaru beheaded the tora he'd been fighting, allowing the monk to come forward and grab the shards as he sheathed Tokijiin and swept his arm under the woman who'd just defended him with her life.

It hit him hard, that if her barrier had failed, the blades of the kaze would have found her flesh instead of his.

She would have died in his presence - again.

That was simply... unacceptable to him.

As Kagome lost consciousness with the overuse of her ki, Sesshoumaru swung her up into his chest, and glared at Kagura, who had retreated to what she seemed to think was a safe distance.

"I let you go once, Kagura - I will not do so again. The next time this one sees you, will be your last day of freedom - and life." With that, he turned his back to her and walked away, carrying Kagome towards the children and Ah-Uhn.

Kagura narrowed her eyes, but said nothing, disappearing quickly with the threatening noises from Inuyasha, who'd already finished off his opponent.

Within moments, all the tora were dead, and the group was surrounding the dragon, wanting to make sure Kagome was going to be alright.

Sesshoumaru assured them that she would be.

He was quiet the rest of that evening, disappearing shortly after the evening meal for a time, and Kagome, as soon as she woke, began to worry that somehow, she'd offended him.

She found that he was offended - but not by her.

It was, rather, the thought of her dying that had offended him.

When he pulled her aside upon his return, he gently placed a tiny sprig of holly behind her ear, then trailed his fingers down her cheek, a slight frown settling between his brows.

"Do not place yourself in harms way again, miko - this one would not be pleased if you were hurt, even in his defense." He pulled his hand away, then, and looked off into the trees, frown deepening.

"I..." here, he hesitated, visibly unsettled, "do not want to... lose you." He was obviously uncomfortable with his words, but it was just as obvious to the rather astounded young woman, that he meant them.

He'd been worried. For her.

With a blush, she fingered the holly in her hair, and smiled shyly. Holly, for defense... "I'm sorry, Sesshoumaru-sama," she said, softly. "I didn't mean to worry you."

He nodded, accepting her apology, then moved away, settling himself in for another long night.

And several interesting realizations.

---oOo---

A/N: Hmmm... well, next installment, maybe we'll get a little glimpse of some of those unsettling realizations that have started filtering through into his consciousness.

Amber