InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Affection ( Chapter 39 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Affection

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Rin watched Sesshoumaru carefully the day after the battle with the tora youkai with a secretive smile. It was so obvious to her just how he felt for her mother - even Shippo could see it, and they were both thrilled with how things were going between the two.

It didn't take much to see how, every time Sesshoumaru glanced Kagome's way, she blushed, and smiled shyly. It was also more than obvious how often his gaze landed on her, causing that reaction.

But she could also see that while he was developing feelings, strong ones, for the little miko who was their adopted mother, he was reluctant to admit - even to himself - just how far his feelings really went.

To that end, Rin, when they reached camp that night, took advantage of Sesshoumaru's orders to Jaken concerning a trip to the Western Lands shiro, and took him aside, speaking to him quickly, in low tones.

Everyone watched, curious to know what the sometimes mischievous, yet always well-behaved child could be up to.

Jaken, who was well aware of what was going on between his lord, and the young miko, was receptive to her request, and agreed to gather what she asked for, before taking off, promising to be back by morning.

Rin just smiled and went to the bedding she'd taken to sharing with Shippo and their mother, curled up happily with her little brother, and they both drifted off to sleep almost immediately.

Sango waited 'til the two were soundly asleep, then looked at her best friend curiously. "So... just what are those two up to, Kagome?"

Kagome shook her head, just as bewildered as the rest of the group. "I have no idea, Sango. They didn't confide this one in me."

Inuyasha, who had his suspicions, stayed silent after a quick glance between his brother and Kagome. Keh. They see what I see. Those two - they see the feelings... he was painfully reluctant to admit what it was he was seeing, even to himself.

As if admitting it would make it real...

Sesshoumaru himself pointedly ignored the discussion going on around the fire, as he was still wrestling within his mind about the things that he was discovering about himself... and the miko he protected.

What do I feel when I look at her?

Fascination - for she is one of the most confusing beings I have ever known. I am positive that I could study her for a thousand years and still not know everything... she would still surprise me.

Protective. I cannot deny that I chose to protect her because I
wanted to - and for no other reason. I do not wish to see her harmed in any manner - physically, emotionally, he frowned slightly at that one, or mentally - I want only to see her happy and safe. Just as I do Rin.

Attracted.
Here, his frown deepened. In all my centuries, never have I reacted to another in the way I do to her. Her scent, her smiles, the feel of her skin, all of it draws me. And her taste... his mind wandered to the one, chaste kiss that he had shared with her... and to the lingering taste of her upon his lips.

It was something he knew he'd never forget.

No matter what happened.

He was so lost in his own thoughts, that he didn't even realize when all the others fell asleep - save for Inuyasha, as he was taking a turn at guard duty - until the hanyou addressed him.

"She'll do that to you, ya know, Sesshoumaru."

He lifted a weighted gaze to the hanyou that was staring into the sky, brow cocked questioningly. "What?"

"Make you think about her. Once you've known Kagome, there's really no going back. She changes things, you see - just by accepting things the way they are. It's an odd - what was that word she told me," he frowned, "oh yeah, conundrum. She's a catalyst, I guess you could say. She doesn't have to do anything other than be who she is to affect everything around her."

Sesshoumaru's other brow joined the first one in his bangs as he turned the hanyou's words over in his mind, and realized that he was correct.

Kagome brought about change - just by existing.

The next morning, as the group awakened and began to prepare for the day, Jaken returned, and Rin immediately ran off to see if he'd been able to grab what she'd asked for.

He had, and she beamed at him excitedly, before tucking it gently into her kimono, and then presenting herself before her beloved protector.

"Sesshoumaru-sama," she began, smiling up at him shyly as he turned his gaze on her, "would you take a walk with Rin? Rin wants to tell you something," she peeked at the rest of the group, and whispered, "privately."

He considered his tiny ward's smiling face for a moment, then nodded once, and gracefully standing, he followed her lead and walked away from the camp.

After a few minutes, she looked up at him and stopped, before sitting down and waiting expectantly, and he became aware that she was asking him to sit with her. With an inaudible sigh, he obliged, once again folding his large frame into a comfortable position, and waited calmly for her to begin.

He watched her reach into her kimono and pull out a small cutting of - it looked like ivy - and he frowned slightly as she handed it to him.

"What is this for, Rin?" he asked, as he stared at the trailing plant in his hand.

"It's ivy, Sesshoumaru-sama, and Rin thought you should have it... maybe it will help you understand how you feel about mama."

At that, his eyes jerked up from his hand to her strangely wise eyes, his own widening just a bit. "What does this signify?"

She looked up at him, her wide, beaming smile almost taking over her entire face, and said, "It stands for affection, Sesshoumaru-sama."

With that said, she stood up, and giggling at his frozen expression, she turned to head back to camp. "Rin will see you at breakfast, Sesshoumaru-sama. And don't worry," she threw a wink at him over her shoulder, "Rin has another piece of ivy to give to mama." And she was gone before he could gather his wits enough to even speak.

Affection?

He considered that for several long minutes.

Then sighed, looking down at the plant still resting in the palm of his hand.

Hai. Rin is very observant. Affection it is, and so it should be called.

Then, belatedly, he remembered the last part of her declaration.

She is going to give another piece to the miko.

Does this mean the... affection... is returned?

He gently tucked the plant into his obi, and returned to camp, pleased when he caught Kagome's gaze...

And she blushed, before tucking a piece of the same plant into her own obi.

---oOo---

A/N: Girly squeal! Awwww!

Amber