InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Sweet Dreams ( Chapter 49 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sweet Dreams

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Kagome was angry.

Actually, Kagome was very angry.

For the last several days, her daughter had been suffering from nightmares, and she had been getting less and less sleep because of it.

When asked, however, the little girl couldn't remember what her dreams were about - leaving Kagome unable to help her overcome her fears.

Finally, last night, after once again being woken by the tiny child's screams, she had had enough, and once the girl was again asleep, she lay down on her own bedding, and attempted something new.

She opened her aura, focused it on her child, and entered her dreams...

And that's where the anger came in.

Because what she found was that Naraku/Kagura, seeing that she was not bothered by their hatred, decided to attack her indirectly, through those she cared for instead.

Namely Rin. And probably Shippo as well at some point.

Not while I have breath they won't. They're going to find out that hurting the people I love is not a good idea.

She cast a sideways glance at Sesshoumaru. He didn't seem to realize that she was up to anything as they walked, and she wanted to keep it that way.

What she had in mind could only be done that night in Rin's dreams anyway - she knew just what to do to get rid of the unwanted intruders into her daughter's mind, and didn't need his help.

Late that night, when the camp was quiet with sleep, Kagome closed her eyes, and once again cast herself into her little girl's dreams.

When she entered the dreamscape, she looked around curiously, wondering what her child would dream about under normal circumstances - and had to laugh when she saw what Rin was doing.

The little girl was frolicking through a field of flowers. With Shippo.

Go figure.

She sat down at the edge of the field, knowing that they couldn't see her, and waited: sooner or later the dreamscape would change, becoming dark and frightening.

That's when she would strike.

It wasn't long into the dream sequence when the skies grew black and she could hear the whimpers of her child, and her eyes narrowed as she watched, waiting for Naraku/Kagura to show themselves.

Very quickly, the field turned bleak and cold, the flowers now dead and brittle, and Shippo disappeared, leaving Rin alone to face the demon that haunted her dreams - or so they thought.

The moment that the spider/wind youkai composite showed itself in all its hellish glory, Kagome dashed out to stand before her daughter protectively, throwing up a barrier and smirking at the dismay of the youkai before her. Grabbing her daughter up into a hug, she met the tiny girl's stricken gaze, and smiled.

"Don't worry, honey, mama's here - and she won't allow this nasty spider to hurt you. Watch."

Rin nodded, holding onto her with a fierce, terrified grip, eyes wide as she did what her mother told her to.

Kagome looked back up at the spider, a rather evil grin crossing her face, and said, "So you decided that since you couldn't scare me, you'd strike a child. How fitting for one with your lack of courage, Naraku."

The beast tried to speak, but she shook her head, not letting him. "No. You see, this dream is not yours - it's Rin's. And since she doesn't like you, but she loves me, she gives me her power in this place - meaning you can't do anything unless I let you."

She laughed at his frustration. "Watch, Rin. This is what you do to monsters."

She forced the giant spider into his tiny form...

And then stomped him, like you would a regular spider.

Just like that, the skies once again turned blue and sunny, Shippo reappeared - and the field of flowers was back.

Only this time, there were clusters of phlox as well, and with a smile, Kagome bent down and picked one, giving it to the little girl as she dropped her barrier.

Rin smiled up at her and asked, "What are these flowers, mama?"

She started to fade out of the dream, but before she did, she said, "They are phlox, Rin... and they mean 'Sweet Dreams'."

Kagome woke, and looked over to Rin's bedroll... and sure enough, the child was sleeping peacefully, with a happy smile on her face as she cuddled with Shippo.

With an echoing smile, Kagome closed her eyes and dropped into her own dreams, well content with what she'd achieved this night.

Sweet Dreams, my children.

---oOo---

A/N: Yay! Stomp that spider! Too bad that didn't take care of him in reality - they still have to fight Kagura/Naraku sooner or later... but Rin certainly feels better! Wise child or not, she still gets scared of the boogeyman in her dreams - and that's what mothers are for!

Amber