InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Worth Beyond Beauty ( Chapter 50 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Worth Beyond Beauty

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

The little bottle that once again held the collected shards of the shikon no tama glittered slightly as the light hit it, highlighting the newly added pieces as Kagome stared into it thoughtfully.

It had been almost a week since she'd stomped Naraku in Rin's dreams, and they'd actually managed to get several shards in that time - which meant that Naraku/Kagura hadn't.

Kagome grinned. It seemed that when she'd killed Naraku in Rin's dream, she'd caused him some major headaches, meaning that the composite youkai hadn't been in any shape to attempt to take any more shards.

It also turned out that Kanna was very handy to have in battle. She glanced over at the now mid-teen young woman. The recent changes in her appearance were startling, to say the least.

Her eyes, once black, were now the iciest, clearest blue - like the sky on a clear winter's day - and her skin, which had always been so white, was now the faintest shade of gold tinted peach. She would be beautiful when she was grown... and it was clear that Inuyasha definitely noticed.

It made something inside her ache - but only a little, and only with a mild regret that things had been so doomed between them from the start. They'd really never stood a chance - not with Kikyou clouding things.

But he and Kanna... well, they had a clean slate, and Kagome hoped that it worked out for the sad hanyou and his newest interest - she didn't want to see him alone again.

Turning her gaze back on the bottle in her hand, the regret she had felt over Inuyasha deepened and became pained as she thought of the daiyoukai that had somehow taken over her heart with lethal efficiency.

She dropped the bottle back into her shirt, the chain it was on easily long enough to keep it hidden inside her clothes, and with a sigh, she looked over at Sesshoumaru.

What did I do that has made him go so far away? I mean, it's not as bad as it was for a few days there, but still... did he decide he doesn't want me, and just hasn't decided how to tell me?

Sesshoumaru had no idea what was going through the mind of his miko, his own thoughts being the polar opposite of hers - she thinking he no longer wanted her, and he thinking of keeping her by his side for as long as he lived.

That was why, heading back towards the well as they were, he was leading them back on a route that would put him within reach of Bokuseno once more. In fact, he would once again speak to the youkai this very evening.

He had made the decision that he was more than willing to give up some of his own life, to extend hers.

Now, he needed to know how to go about it, so that when he was ready, he could perform whatever spell or ceremony was necessary.

He came to a halt, and everyone stopped behind him. Without turning, he said, "We will stop here for the night. Set up camp. I have something I must do - when I return I will bring dinner."

Inuyasha just grunted, and Sesshoumaru, taking that as an affirmative, left without a backwards glance.

Kagome watched him go sadly.

This time, when Sesshoumaru reached the youkai's clearing, he was not only awake, but speaking - with none other than Myouga. As soon as he stepped into the clearing, the little flea stood, bowing almost frantically.

"Ah! Sesshoumaru-sama - I received your summons, and came as soon as I could. What need has my Lord of me?"

Sesshoumaru looked at him, quirking a brow. "Did not your gossip with Bokuseno tell you that?"

Myouga glanced at Bokuseno, then back at his lord, spluttering as the old tree chuckled. "Not at all, my Lord! I do not gossip about your business."

"At least, not where I can hear you, correct, old flea?"

"Well..." he cleared his throat.

Bokuseno rattled his boughs. "Enough. This youkai is old, and tired. It grows late, and I would sleep soon." He caught Sesshoumaru's eye, and said, "Have you made a decision, Lord of the West?"

"I have. I am willing to pay the price, old one. You will now share the knowledge of what is necessary to extend her life."

Myouga stared at his Lord. "Extend... her life... Sesshoumaru-sama? Who... her?"

Before Sesshoumaru could answer, Bokuseno chuckled. "The miko, Lady Kagome. He courts her... and is willing to give some of his life up to extend her own. She must be quite beautiful."

Myouga blinked, unable to even say a word as Sesshoumaru momentarily lost himself in his thoughts.

Beautiful? She is that... but... her worth to this one lies not in beauty - but in everything else that is her. She would, after all, still be Kagome, even if she looked different.

He shook his head then, coming back to himself. "Her beauty has nothing to do with this. Speak, tree - I lose my patience."

Twenty minutes later, he turned and left the clearing, the knowledge he had sought firmly locked in his memory, and instructions given to Myouga in the procurement of certain items for his wife-to-be. He paused as he came to a flowering bush, and a slight smile touched his face as his memory placed it from Kagome's list.

Sweet Alyssum...

Picking a small cluster of the tiny, white blooms, he strode off towards camp.

Upon reaching the group, he locked eyes with his miko, and moving forward slowly, he handed the bouquet to her, watching as her smile lit up her face.

"These are pretty," she frowned then, "but I don't remember this flower. I'll have to look it up later..."

"They are sweet alyssum, Kagome - and they stand for worth beyond beauty." With that, he turned and walked off, heading for a large tree at the edge of camp, and sat down.

When he looked her way again, she was still sitting and staring at the flowers, a hopeful smile lighting her eyes.

Beautiful, he thought.

And yet... so much more to me than that.

---oOo---

A/N: The chapter where he finally admits he actually loves her is coming up very soon... very, very soon.

Amber