InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Evaluation ( Chapter 51 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Evaluation

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Sesshoumaru stared out at the river as it flowed along swiftly through the gorge, idly noting the beautiful colors of the sunset echoed in the waters below, and sighed.

So. It has come to this. I am willing to give up some of my natural life-span to keep her with me... and yet, I still have not answered the paramount question:

Why?

Affection is not enough of a reason... I feel affection for Rin, and yet, it is only for Kagome that I would do this.

He turned his face to the sky, watching as the light drained from it, and the darkness took its place.

It had been a long week - they had had many battles for the shards, although, he frowned, Naraku/Kagura had not shown themselves. He was curious to know why.

Truthfully, he just wanted this burdensome task done so that he could take his miko home, and concentrate on his wedding. Until Naraku was destroyed, again, and the shards collected so that it, too, could be destroyed, that wouldn't happen.

This time, Naraku must be totally obliterated. I will not tolerate his continued existence as he is a danger to my miko.

How to make sure, though... he is difficult to destroy because he always has a back up plan - and another plan to back up the back up plan just in case,
he thought, wryly.

If he were any other, I would bind him to my service - he would be very useful.

And then he sighed again, this time, irritated at himself. Once again, his mind had wandered away from the original reason he'd come out here alone.

Kagome.

And what he felt for her.

Deep down in a darkling corner of his soul, where the light of day had never touched, he knew exactly what his feelings for the little miko were - but his conscious mind kept trying to avoid actually letting those words into his awareness.

But the time to hide from the truth of his... feelings... had long since passed, and he was not going to let a little thing like his heart turn him into a coward.

So.

I... love her.

Those are the hardest words I've ever had to think - and it will be no easier to speak them, I am sure.

"Sesshoumaru-sama?"

The daiyoukai did not react, though he had been caught off-guard - lost in his thoughts, and with the monk as silent as he'd been, he'd actually managed to sneak up on the Western Lord... a feat not many could claim.

"Monk."

Miroku walked towards Sesshoumaru once he was acknowledged, and moved to stand beside him. He rattled his staff lightly, obviously a bit uncomfortable with being where he was.

"This... it's rather... awkward for me. I do not wish to interfere in your business, or your courtship of Kagome, however..." he trailed off momentarily, catching the youkai Lord's raised brow, then shrugged and continued. "Sango came to me with a concern, and I felt it needed to be brought to your attention."

"Speak, then. What is it that concerns the taijiya - and you?"

"Lately, you've been deep in your thoughts, I believe." Sesshoumaru nodded, and Miroku caught his eye. "Unfortunately, Kagome seems to think that it's because you have decided that you do not want a relationship with her, and this is causing her some pain."

Sesshoumaru glanced sharply at the monk, actually surprised. "Has she said this?" he asked incredulously.

"Hai, to Sango. Yesterday - when they visited the hot springs to bathe." Miroku chuckled. "It is 'girl time', they inevitably do most of their talking during those baths."

The daiyoukai merely grunted, his thoughts almost chaotic at the knowledge that she was hiding such a fear from him.

I have been distant lately, I know... but for her to think such a thing?

"Inuyasha has much to answer for in his treatment of her," he sighed finally. "He caused so much hurt to her that she feels unworthy - and fears that I will turn from her as he did."

Miroku nodded solemnly. "I know. Inuyasha is my friend, but so is Kagome, and I never understood why he did the things that he did - or said the things that he said to her." He rolled his shoulders as he thought for a moment. "I do not think that Inuyasha knows why he did or said those things, either."

"You are more than likely correct, monk. This one thanks you for bringing this to his attention."

Knowing a dismissal when he heard one, Miroku bowed, then turned and made his way back to camp, satisfied that the daiyoukai would fix things with his friend.

Sesshoumaru once more cast a glance around, and inhaled deeply, then turned and made his way back to camp.

When he arrived, he caught a scent he'd never smelled before emanating from near his miko, and with a frown, asked, "What is that scent, Kagome?"

Kagome looked up at him from her seat before the fire, and closed her scrapbook with a small thud.

"It's Fir... a type of pine tree. I always loved the scent of those trees, and so I keep a small branch in my scrapbook. It stands for evaluation - funny that I know that, even though it's not technically a flower." Her brow furrowed with curiousity. "Why?"

Sesshoumaru sniffed again. "The scent is... pleasing to this one, that is why I asked." And then one brow rose. "Evaluation, you say?"

She nodded, and he stared at her for a moment, then sat down next to her.

With a very slight uptilting of his lips, he said softly, "How appropriate."

Kagome just blinked.

What?

---oOo---

A/N: Oh, I am so excited! The 'I Love You' chapter is next! Finally!

Amber