InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Hatred ( Chapter 57 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hatred

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Sesshoumaru was still enraged, though he kept it under tight control, the fact of the matter was that if he were anyone else, Inuyasha's forest would not still be standing.

That Naraku/Kagura would try to destroy his bond with his female was unforgivable in his eyes, and mere death was not an acceptable punishment.

He wanted them damned to suffer for eternity, never finding freedom from the pain.

Only that would assuage the hatred he felt towards the combination spider/kaze.

He had never before realized what it was to love someone - how all-encompassing it was.

He had planned, peripherally, to someday marry - but only as a means to produce an heir for the West - nothing more. He'd never lost a thought to love - it simply had no place in his life.

And, he had been content that way.

But no longer.

Now, he knew what it was to love another - and being Inu, when he fell, he fell hard. There was a reason they had a reputation for loyalty - once an Inu chose, they gave everything of themselves. He may not have cared one way or the other about his miko before, but now that she lived in his soul...

Nothing else, in this life or the next, was anywhere near as important to him as she was.

Nothing.

For him to lose her... would destroy his sanity - and his heart and soul.

He glanced sideways at her, knowing that she had no idea of just how entwined she now was within his very being. If she knew... she would never again fear that he would leave her.

He fingered the orange lily that lay in his sleeve, hidden from sight. Obviously, the spider had looked at Kagome's flower list - so he would know the meaning of this one, and as soon as he felt the presence of the combined youki of the new being, he would leave this flower for them to find...

An orange lily... for hatred.

He was giving them fair warning - not that it would do them any good, because even if they agreed to desist and stop trying to take the jewel, he would not allow them to escape.

It was too late for that, his hatred had already been gained - not just by Naraku, but also by Kagura now.

Both would pay.

With an internal sigh, he looked around, sending out his youki in pulses, and carefully scenting the air. Now that an attempt had been made on her in such a manner, his protective instincts had gone into overdrive, making him hyper-aware of everything around them.

It would be a draining trip out this time, he was sure.

"Sesshoumaru?"

He glanced down, his eyes softening on her as he took in her sweet little face tilted towards his and her worried expression.

"Yes, Kagome?" he asked softly.

"What's wrong? You're angry... I can feel it."

He nodded. "Hai. You are correct. This one is more than angry that the spider tried to come between us. But you need not worry - this one will take care of the problem."

Kagome smiled up at him, and then reached out and slipped her tiny hand into his much larger one, squeezing it comfortingly.

"You shouldn't let it upset you so much, Sesshoumaru. It didn't work, did it?" she questioned, her smile brightening when he shook his head. "Then let it go. They're pathetic, that's all. They can't get between us if we don't let them."

His shoulders stiffened. "No. I will not forgive this, Kagome. Do not ask me to do so."

Inuyasha moved closer at that point, brow furrowed. "Yeah, I noticed you were pretty ticked at something when you two came back from the well - what happened?"

The daiyoukai explained as the group moved up, walking closer together so they could hear, and they weren't really surprised to find out what had happened. Kagome noted Inuyasha's pained glance her way when his brother spoke of Naraku's tactics with disdain.

"It was a pathetic attempt to get my miko to strike out at me, thinking that I had betrayed her. It is obvious that it did not work - if the spider paid any attention to his opponents, he would be aware that Kagome would not fall for something like that - she would never betray someone's trust. Nor would she so easily believe they had betrayed hers."

The hanyou clenched a fist, staring down at it. "Yeah... Kagome never has been fooled by his tactics, or fallen for his manipulations - not even his illusions have swayed her heart."

Kagome blushed a little. "Anyway..." she said, "let's talk about something else."

Everyone drifted off then, several small discussions breaking out amongst them, but Kagome and Sesshoumaru stayed quiet, she content to continue to hold onto his hand, and he content knowing that she was within his grasp - and safe.

The day ran by quickly in that manner, and night came upon them, finding them already set up in a good camp.

Once everyone had eaten and bathed in the small springs directly behind the camp, the children were settled to sleep, and Kagome and the adults followed, all tired and knowing that the next day would be long.

As soon as everyone was asleep, Sesshoumaru stood, and walked out of sight, silent and deadly. He moved swiftly in the direction he could feel the kaze/spider, and stopping where he knew the flower would eventually be found, he dropped it in plain sight on an old tree stump.

Looking out into the forest, he hissed sibilantly, "Heed the warning, and know your torment stalks you. Your freedom ends soon, youkai."

With that, he turned and walked back to camp, fully aware of the red eyes filled with fury that followed him into the shadows.

He was not concerned in the slightest that his prey knew they were his prey.

It would make no difference in the outcome if they knew he was coming...

He would still destroy them - no matter what they did to escape.

---oOo---

A/N: Well, a pissed off Sesshoumaru is everybody's nightmare, and Kagura/Naraku is about to find out that being sent to hell would have actually been a mercy.

Amber