InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Success ( Chapter 64 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Success

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Several days after Kagome had finally been deemed well enough to continue the hunt by her intended, they came across a small group of monkey youkai playing with several shards of the jewel in a large, open field full of yellow poppies.

Needless to say, Inuyasha got very frustrated that day, as Kagome wouldn't allow him to kill the mischievous, but not evil, little youkai.

Nonetheless, success was finally had, as Kagome herself took the last one, charming the little sprite that had it into giving it to her - which only made Inuyasha scowl even harder, as the monkeys had given him a very bad time.

By the time the contretemps was over, Sesshoumaru, for once actually having to fight himself to not laugh at his brother, decided that, since it was getting late, the edge of the field that backed onto a small arbor would make a good camp for the night.

Everyone agreed, even a still grumbling Inuyasha, and so the camp was set up in short order, and guard duty divided up amongst them - Sesshoumaru was not about to relax his watchfulness until the spider was gone - and no one was willing to argue the point.

Just after dinner, when Kagome was curled up with the children reading to them, a commotion was heard on the outskirts of camp, and a very irate Inuyasha came storming in, following after a - rather decorative - youkai male.

Before Inuyasha could inhale enough air to start a rant, Sesshoumaru eyed the newcomer, and asked, "It is finished, Ryozen?"

Dragon, Kagome thought, an avid look on her face as she and the children watched.

"Hai, Sesshoumaru-sama, it is finished." Holding out his hand, he waited for the inu Lord to hold out his own, and then deposited something into his hand. With a bow, he asked, "As for my price?"

Sesshoumaru clenched his hand around the small round object, and said, "Jaken."

The little toad nodded rapidly, a, "Hai, Sesshoumaru-sama," ringing out as he ran to his pack, and took out a carefully wrapped object, then hurriedly ran back and with a bow, handed the object in question to the dragon youkai.

As Ryozen unwrapped his prize and inspected it, Sesshoumaru waited, and when the male looked up, he asked, "Are you satisfied?"

A smile broke on the exotic male's face. "Very." Then a furrow of curiosity appeared on his brow, and he asked, "May this one enquire into the identity of the one you spoke of when you came to me?"

Brow rising into his bangs, Sesshoumaru considered for a few moments, then said, "Miko, come here." He held out his hand, and she stood, confused, and walked over to him, taking his hand, and looking up at him.

Nodding his head at the dragon, he said, "This one is Ryozen, a sorcerer of acceptable power," Ryozen rolled his eyes as Kagome chuckled, "Ryozen, this is my betrothed... Kagome, the miko of the Shikon no Tama."

Kagome blushed as the male eyed her, and then smiled at her. "You have chosen well, Sesshoumaru-sama." He looked around, then, at the rest of the group, then at Inuyasha, who was still standing, hand on his sword hilt, glaring between he and the inu Lord.

"You must be Inuyasha. I've heard about you." He chuckled, then glanced at the hanyou's side. Kanna had moved up to stand with him, her gaze impassive, but wary. "And the void child... though obviously a child no more."

Before he could say anything else, Sesshoumaru broke in. "Was there anything else that you needed, Ryozen?"

The dragon chuckled. "Have I worn out my welcome now that I have delivered what you asked of me?"

"What is it that you really seek, Ryozen? I have given that which you asked for."

With one last glance around at those in the camp, and a piercing look at Kagome, he finally smiled. "Do not be concerned, Sesshoumaru. I am satisfied with my prize - I was only curious. I will take my leave of you." With a slightly mocking bow, he straightened - and disappeared from sight, causing startled exclamations from everyone.

"Oi, Sesshoumaru? What the heck was that guy doing for you?" Inuyasha growled out, still annoyed.

"It is not your concern, Inuyasha. Go back to guard duty."

With that Sesshoumaru escorted Kagome back to the children, then sat down. After watching him for a few moments, Kanna and Sango shook their heads and went back to their own discussion as they sat back down by the fire.

Once the children were settled into sleep, Kagome turned and watched her intended for a few minutes, noting that he seemed to be rolling something around in his fingers, and that his gaze was fixed on his hand. She quirked a brow quizzically.

Now I wonder what that was all about... and what he's holding. Her eyes narrowed after a moment. He's way too devious and sneaky... whatever he's planning, I'm not sure I want to know, come to think of it.

"Sesshoumaru?" she asked quietly. "Are you okay?"

He looked up and met her gaze for a moment, then lowered his eyes back to his hand, and a slight smile quirked up one side of his mouth.

Her blood ran cold - that look meant trouble for someone.

"In my hand I carry Naraku's doom, miko - and our success. For that reason, I am quite content." He glanced out towards the field, then. "It is fitting that we are here, in a field of yellow poppies, as they signify success."

A surprised look on her face, Kagome thought about what he'd imparted, and nodded to herself.

I think I was right...

I really don't want to know.

---oOo---

A/N: Well, things are moving forward... Naraku's fate is at hand, and Sesshoumaru is still scary.

To all those on fanfiction.net, I apologize, apparently, the website itself is not sending out e-mail notifications about updates to the story so there isn't much I can do.

Amber