InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ Harm ( Chapter 63 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Harm

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Naraku/Kagura sat, quietly contemplating the most recent events between themselves and the enlarged group of shard hunters - and especially one specific person within them... Kagome.

The girl was obviously not frightened or upset by him, and at this, he scowled angrily. She seemed to think that because she was protected by Sesshoumaru, she was safe from all harm...

It was time to show her that that was not so.

The balance of power between Naraku/Kagura had changed, and Naraku was almost completely in charge now. Kagura was really just a remnant of herself at this point, and even that would be gone within days, and so, her anger towards the miko didn't even really come into play, the whole, 'just kill her' thing, barely even uttered.

No, what came out was a devious little plan to poison the little miko - not enough to kill her, just to make her very ill for a bit. All it would take would be a quick visit to a dark miko, and he could do his shapechanging trick to get into the camp and season her food or drinks.

Easy - and effective. The miko, he felt sure, would get the message...

The spider/kaze was quite happy with his plan, and went about setting it up immediately.

After he got his poison from the dark miko, he forced the once-kaze's body to his will, and shrunk himself down into a small spider each night, spying on the group and waiting for a chance to strike...

And finally, after a couple of days, he got his chance.

On that particular evening, the miko had gone off with the children to bathe, and no one paid any attention as a little fox youkai came into camp and, taking Kagome's personal drink canteen, poured something into the water. It merely looked like he was putting in some of her drink mixes that she carried around with her.

No one paid any more attention when the little fox youkai slipped back out of camp and...

The deed was done.

Later on that night, as Kagome began to show signs of illness, and the group started getting concerned, Naraku had a crow deliver his calling card: a foxglove stalk, with a spider burned into all of the tiny petals.

Sesshoumaru, of course, was beyond enraged, and as they prepared an antidote for the foxglove poison and administered it to Kagome, he stood at the edge of camp, seething with rage that he would let no one see.

Watching Kagome lying before him in agony had only hardened his resolve: Naraku would suffer an eternity of pain - there would be no reprieve, and no forgiveness.

None.

And as the night passed with his betrothed fighting to rid her body entirely of the toxins, he stared out into the night with an ice-coated gaze, waiting for one thing, and one thing only to end the reign of the spider...

Ryozen, and the konjou tama.

As soon as it was ready, Naraku would be free no more.

When night finally gave into morning, he moved back into the center of the encampment, and sat down near Kagome's bedroll, where she lay in exhausted sleep. He rested for a time, while Inuyasha and Kanna kept watch, and the rest of the group also slept.

This day they would not travel in search of the shards.

Several hours later, Kagome woke, and the first thing she saw was Sesshoumaru, watching her, and she smiled, a bit weakly. "Why so intent?"

"This one is angered that Naraku was able to strike at you, and no one was any the wiser. The spider is devious - but he is not smart - for this last transgression there will be no mercy when I pass my judgement upon him."

He spoke quietly, yet his voice was still coated with ice, and Kagome shuddered.

"So it was Naraku, huh? I thought so. What a jerk. Just because I let him know I wasn't afraid of him..." she trailed off, snapping her jaw shut as his eyes instantly narrowed on her.

"What did you do, miko?" he hissed softly. As she looked away, obviously thinking of something to say, he growled slightly at her. "Do not, Kagome. Do not even think to lie to this Sesshoumaru."

Kagome flinched a bit at his anger. Oh, crud... I shoulda just kept my mouth shut... "Well... I delivered some flowers to him - or her, as the case may be," she mumbled. "I let them know that all their little tricks with the flowers, trying to get me to turn away from you, weren't working, and never would, and that I wasn't impressed, that's all."

Sesshoumaru stared at her for several minutes, steadily, not saying a word, and she began to fidget, worried. Come on, say something...

Finally, he spoke. "Miko, if you ever attempt such a thing again, I will have no choice but to put a leash on you." He eyed her suddenly horrified expression sternly. "It is this Sesshoumaru's place to protect what is his - you know this, and still, you try to circumnavigate said protection, and place yourself in danger."

"But I wasn't in danger, Sesshoumaru! Naraku won't kill me - remember, only I can find the shards."

He leaned in closer to her, and flared his youki, pressing it in upon her, forcing her to lay back down. "You can say this to me, Kagome - who watched you, so ill, from the effects of poison that he fed to you?!"

She gulped, then shook her head. "The foxglove wasn't given to kill me - it would have needed to be much stronger than it was. The only intent was intimidation - and it hasn't worked. I'm still not scared of him."

"Nonetheless, miko, he brought harm upon you, and this one will not allow it again. You will learn to obey me - your protection comes before all else."

He had flared his youki again as he spoke, and Kagome found herself wide-eyed, nodding in agreement, the thought of arguing not even existing in her mind. If he was that adamant...

"Good." He eyed her expression, then said, "Remember, little miko, I will be watching. Do not attempt anything foolish again." He sat back, satisfied, as she nodded again, obviously not about to fight him on it.

With a deep, though silent, sigh, he sat back against his tree, watching as the camp came awake, and the children and the taijiya began to help Kagome clean up and try to eat, all the while turning her actions over in his mind.

You are going to try every bit of my patience, little one, I can already foresee this. Why is it so hard to step back and let me protect you, and stop throwing yourself into more danger?

He shook his head.

Females...

---oOo---

A/N: (another flat stare) What? Did you just say females? I beg to differ, Sesshoumaru-sama, the proper word here is men. Or in your case, males.

Amber