InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Flower Girl ❯ You're the Only One ( Chapter 62 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

You're the Only One

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of Inuyasha.

---oOo---

Kagome sighed, irritated.

Now that she was older, and in the past even more than before, she didn't often see any of her friend's from school, and in a lot of ways, that was a good thing.

After all, she was years older than them in experience, even if not in years, and so, didn't really have anything in common with them any longer.

Not to mention - she shivered a bit - Sesshoumaru.

With him being who he was, Lord of the West, and when he was, five hundred years in the past, he was much more formal and dignified than people in her time. And because she was going to be his Lady, she would need to behave in much the same way... which was something that those she'd grown up with would not understand.

So far, they hadn't really crossed paths, her school friends still intent on getting an education, and on their lives in this modern world, while she was dealing with things in a distant past that they would never understand - and she'd been glad that it was so.

Unfortunately, her good luck seemed to have run out.

She'd left the shrine this morning, intent on a shopping trip to gather supplies - and who should she have run into, but Houjo.

Of course, it couldn't be one of the girls - no, it has to be the only male in my time who won't take a hint and go find someone else. It's sooo a good thing that Sesshoumaru isn't here...

She sighed, then rushed into the house, hurrying to get her stuff packed so she could go back through the well - where her youkai Lord would be waiting, and unhappy with her for being late.

Getting away from the boy that had spent so many years chasing her had been difficult... he'd been much more insistent this time.

It had finally gotten to the point that she'd had to take him aside, and tell him a rather edited version of the truth - that she was happily betrothed to another, and that he would not appreciate another male pursuing her.

Houjo, had, needless to say, been quite shocked - and obviously hadn't wanted to believe her.

She'd explained that his family was very formal, and traditional, still holding to standards of conduct from the Feudal Era, and that they lived remotely, their lands and estates still held within their family, and that her betrothed was technically the head of the clan - and the Lord.

He'd asked how she could stand to be placed into such a betrothal, obviously thinking she'd been forced by family - and had paled when informed that that was not the case - she'd chosen to marry him, because she loved him.

Houjo had finally given up and left, angered and upset, and she'd hurried to get home, the delay promising to make her late if she didn't get moving.

Men! Sometimes...

Finally, packed and ready, she said goodbye to her mother, with the guilty thought that she was going to have to have a good long sit-down with her when next she came back, since she had avoided telling her mother about any of the new circumstances in her life - up to and including her engagement.

She winced at that thought, feeling bad, but took off out the door, flying to the well, and hopping in, a last minute addition to her supplies in her hand...

A seed packet of daffodil's.

When she'd left Houjo, she'd decided she wanted to plant these at the shiro when the time came for her to live there... she wanted her Lord to know that he would always be her only one.

She didn't, however, realize that she would need to point out the meaning of that flower, a lot sooner than that.

His aura hit her the moment she flashed into existence once again in his era, and as she'd known, it showed every bit that he was not happy that she was late. As she climbed up, she saw him reach in a hand, and she grasped it, allowing him to pull her out.

As soon as her feet hit solid ground, she looked up - into eyes flashing between red and gold, and a daiyoukai that was struggling to maintain control. Surprised, she stepped back, a confused look crossing her face.

"S-sesshoumaru?" she asked, hesitantly.

"Who is the male, miko?" he snarled.

Kagome's eyebrows winged into her hair in astonishment. "How..?"

"His scent is layered over you, meaning it was more than just momentary, casual contact. Now," he growled out, "who was it?"

She sighed, and shook her head, looking down at the flower seeds in her hand, and almost wanted to chuckle. Sheesh... possessive much?

"His name is Houjo, and he was a... well, he wanted to, I guess you could say, court me," trying to frame it in a way he would understand, since people in this era didn't 'date', "but I set him straight, Sesshoumaru. I told him I was betrothed, and sent him on his way."

Sesshoumaru heard her words, and growled angrily at the thought of another male craving his female - only because he was a threat the youkai Lord could not assess for himself. As far as he was concerned, if a male was attracted to his female, here, as long as they didn't touch, he could care less.

But a male in her era....

He calmed somewhat as she finished speaking, however, and pulled her to him, determined to cover her in his own scent again - before he lost his composure completely. After a few minutes of nuzzling and kissing a very compliant Kagome, he let her step back a little, and she smiled up at him.

"Feel better now?" she asked softly.

He nodded shortly, and she shook her head, chuckling at him. "I'm glad." With a sigh, she sat on the edge of the well, scooting her bag over, and then looked back up at him. Holding out her hand, the one with the seed packet, she waited for him to take it.

Glancing at the small package, his brow furrowed quizzically as he read it. "Daffodils? Miko, what are these for?"

With another gentle smile, she said, "Daffodils stand for 'you're the only one'... and I wanted to plant them at your home, as a special message to you." She chuckled again. "And maybe they were needed more than I thought..."

Shaking her head again, she finished, "Take them as meant, Sesshoumaru - you really are the only one."

He stared down at the picture of the flower on the packet for a moment, then raised his head and pinned her with his gaze.

"Good," he said fiercely. "That is as it should be."

With that, he handed her back the little packet, then grabbed her bag, and pulling her to her feet, he led her back towards the village.

Kagome rolled her eyes at his back.

Men. She sighed internally. And how many women in all the millenia of life on this planet have thought the same thing?

Probably all of them,
she thought, amused.

Oh, well. He's worth it.

---oOo---

A/N: (flat stare) Men.

Amber