InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Game ❯ Frail and Helpless ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*****************

Frail and Helpless

*****************

"Kagome… How you doing?" His reply was a coughing attack. "I know there isn't much time but we'll never make it through this snow storm if we keep going."

Kagome nodded. The snow flurries had turned into a full blown blizzard.

They landed right next to the shack; Inu-Yasha opened the door and jumped inside throwing the door closed behind them. The inside was small and covered in spider webs. There was a pile of hay in one of the corners; a pile of wood in the other. There was a small ditch in the middle of the room with ashes in it, probably used as a fireplace at one time.

Inu-Yasha cleared away the spider webs as he set Kagome down on the pile of hay. Then set to making a fire. He put a log down, and put some hay down on top of that. Then put two sticks against each other like a cross and began to rub them together. Soon there were sparks and then a fire arose from that. He looked back over at Kagome, she had fallen asleep but she was still shivering; so he picked her up and with her in his lap sat down next to the fire. Inu-Yasha rubbed the side of her arm trying to keep her warm.

The wind howled against the side of the hut, snow and hail pounded down upon the roof. Every once and a while it sounded as if a tree had crashed to the ground.

Finally (after about a half an hour) it seemed that Kagome had stopped shivering. Her eyes opened and closed a couple of times before she was fully awake. Kagome was still breathing pretty heavily though at least she was still alive. But for how long, he couldn't tell, and quite frankly didn't want to think about it. All that mattered was that she was alive in his arms then and there. He looked down at her. Kagome looked so helpless, eyes glazed over like that. So fragile almost like glass. He wished he could just make it all stop. Just make it all stop right now.

Kagome strained her neck and turned her head to look at him. "Hi." she whispered with a weak smile. Her voice was hoarse and raspy. A solemn tear ran down his cheek as Inu-Yasha starred straight ahead into the heart of the fire. Why couldn't it have been him that was hurt? He didn't want her to die. He looked down at her; she was so beautiful lying in the fire light. So frail and helpless. He leaned over and gently kissed her forehead. Then looked back up into the fire as if nothing had happened. Kagome sat bewildered in his lap.

`Is he crying? I knew that he might… but…' "Inu-Yasha…"

He looked down at Kagome, sat her up, and embraced her in a hug that was so warm and deep that she almost got lost in it. She wished she could wrap her arms back around him but they felt like they were filled with lead. So she just had to settle for lying there against his warm chest. If she were to die then, she would have died happy.

"I can't believe we're out here looking for them in this!" Myoga screamed through a mouthful of snow.

"I bet they're in a cave some where!" Miroku yelled ignoring Myoga on his shoulder. "Are you sure they went this way, Shippo!?"

"Yes! They went west!"

"Hold on, I see something! Mr. Raccoon, can you take us down there?" Sango motioned to a clearing not to far off with a brown dot in the center of it.

"What is it Sango!?" Miroku asked.

"It looks to be some sort of a house! We might be able to stay there until this snow lets up a little!" She replied.