InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Game ❯ The Trip Back ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

**************

The Trip Back

**************

She awoke later on to fined that she was being carried to a transformed Mr. Raccoon. The snow had let up and they were leaving, although it was still freezing. But there was so much snow on the ground; how could it be warm? It didn't take long for them to take off. The wind rushed by, stinging Kagome's cheeks and turning her nose as red as a cherry.

About 15 minutes into the "flight" Kagome began to feel like they were already in morning. `Man, maybe I should say something… But what? Maybe a joke? Would that be… right?' Kagome opened her mouth to say something… But nothing came out.

"…" [Kagome]

None of them paid much attention to her, in fact they hadn't look at her since she had woken up. `I hate when people do that.'

"… I'm not dead, ya know?" She said so-o quietly that she could barely hear it, but obviously they did. No one had expected her to start talking so they all slightly jumped. Although none of them would ever had admitted to it. Shippo, Miroku, Sango, and Myoga all looked at her as if she were a ghost. Kagome knew Mr. Raccoon probably would have looked too, if in doing so they would not have fallen off into oblivion. However the one person she really wanted to look at her was still staring off in to la-la land. What did he think about all the time any way? Was he thinking about Kikyo, again? Here… Now? Her head rested on his folded knees and his hand grasped her's tightly but… did he even know that she was still breathing? `I wish someone else would say something.'

"We know, Kagome. Don't worry; we haven't given up hope just yet." At least someone said something.

`Thanks Myoga.' … `Wow I'd never thought I'd say that one.'

However Myoga was no longer interested in what Kagome was doing. Or maybe he was. But he jumped onto Inu-Yasha's head right next to his ears, so that only he and Inu-Yasha could understand himself.

"Now listen well, me lord Inu-Yasha, Kagome must not be allowed to sleep. Lest she won't awaken from it. Her body soon may give out in any case. I pray that we make it back in time…" with that he jumped up to Miroku's shoulder, before he could return a comment.

Then almost automatically he finally looked down at her, however at this time Kagome was no longer interested in Inu-Yasha. She was gazing almost longingly up at the gray-blue sky. `Maybe I was dreaming last night. He probably still hates me like always. Is it just me, or is it getting warmer outside? It feels nice… And the clouds are so calming to look at. But still…' With that she looked back up at a most embarrassed Inu-Yasha, who quickly reverted his gaze back to the treetops.

`I can't believe she caught me looking at her.' But what Kagome did next stopped all other train of thought. She squeezed his hand lightly. (Probably hard for her.) He looked back down at her with an I-can't-believe-you-can-still-move look on his face and then he saw that silent tears were sliding down the sides of her cheeks.

"Why the tears, Kagome?" ` "Why the tears…" What the hell was I thinking? I all ready know the answer. She's dying! And all I can say is…'

"I-I'm sorry…" Her voice was so light and bearly audible.

`Didn't we go through this all ready?'

"If I've told you once… I've told you a million times. You have nothing to be sorry about!" Dying or not, she was starting to get on his nerves.

"But I lo-[gasp]"

"Feh. You didn't lose anything! I made the choice to…" He stopped his words before they came out, realizing what he would have said.

By this time they had gained the attention of everyone within a one mile radius. `This is becoming very entertaining.' Miroku smirked. `Hh-hm.'

"Made the choice to what, Inu-Yasha?" Miroku inquired. `Since we happen to be stuck here, may as well have some fun.'

"Feh. Like you'd care." (Back to looking into they blue-ing sky.)

"We might… If you just tell us." Sango piped in after being silent since the beginning of the trip.

"…" `Those demons that started this whole mess are following us. But they don't seem to want to attack. Why? I can't leave her… But…' "They're following us." `At least I can change the subject.'

"Who?" Shippo jumped up and ran to dive around Inu-Yasha and Kagome who were sitting at the tail. However Inu-Yasha caught his tail before he could fully walk around them and get a proper look.

"You shouldn't let them know we're watching, Shippo. If they haven't attacked by now, then they won't." Miroku commented.

Shippo sat down next to Kagome and looked down at his knees.

`He looks so… frustrated?' "Don't worry about [deep breath] it… Everyone [another breath] makes mistakes." Kagome gave Shippo a weak smile.

"I hate this! No one can do anything!" Shippo exclaimed though not enough that the pursuers could hear. "And now we just let some… demons fallow us to the village? I feel so useless!"

After stating what everyone else had felt for at least the last four hours, not one of them could look the other in the eye. Of course unless you count the futile attempts of Kagome. Who tried as she might couldn't get anyone's attention. So (for once in her life) she gave up and snuggled down into Inu-Yasha's pant leg trying to fall a sleep, but (for some odd enough reason) it seemed he had caught a case of the jitters.

"Inu-Yasha…" She said so quietly that he had to bend over to hear her finish the sentence. "Stop moving."

He couldn't say it. `No' he whispered in his mind, as he shook his head side to side.

"Why…not?"

`It was a fair enough question. And it's not like she doesn't know… But… how to say it? Might as well not.' With that thought, thought he pulled her up to sit in his lap then through his arms around her stomach.

`Was I dreaming?'