InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Game ❯ A Vanishing Act ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

****************

A Vanishing Act

****************

Back off in the distance the two `spies' (if that's what you could call them) stared on as Inu-Yasha preceded to shake Kagome awake, but to no avail.

"Do we return to Lord Iyo? The girly is dead."

"Me will keep an eye on them, ye tell master." Obi told Rah and with that Rah was off sailing quickly in the opposite direction. Obi's attention immediately returned to Inu-Yasha who… wasn't there? "Where did that hanyu go? And he took the girly!" Obi whispered with excitement. For the transformed raccoon was there…The monk, the demon exterminator, and kitsune were all there but Inu-Yasha and Kagome weren't. `He must have jumped off! But where…? There!'

Inu-Yasha was racing across the tree tops, several miles in front of the rest of them. He was now only a speck against the blue-ish sky. Inu-Yasha was heading strait to Keade's village which was now barely visible on the horizon line. Obi quickly sped up and flew directly under the group. His mission was to keep an eye on Inu-Yasha and the girly, not hide from rest of them.

Inu-Yasha arrived at Keade's hut right as the sun began to set behind them. He ran into the hut just as Keade was getting ready to put a pot of rice over the fire. Him rushing in there all of the sudden startled the old priestess and rice and water fell all over the floor extinguishing the fire.

"You have to help her!" Screamed the breathless demon. "She won't wake up!"

"Put her over there quickly!" She pointed toward an area of the floor that was not wet and had a bamboo mat laid out over it.

Inu-Yasha complied but wouldn't let go of her hand. He felt as if, if he were to let go she might disappear all together. However after must antagonizing and debate Keade finally got him to let go so she could properly check her pulse.

"Inu-Yasha. . . "

He stared at her with so much intensity that it made her back down a bit.

"Yes!? What?" He didn't speak loudly, actually quite the opposite, but it was very excited, tense, and. . . sad? It sounded as if he were trying to fight back tears.

"She's not dead." A single tear fell from his face and fell to the ground as the others came rushing through the door.

"Keade is she. . .?"

"No, but she is in what is in what is know as a dead sleep. She has a pulse and is still breathing, but is not conscience. There is no cure known. . . She. . . She. . ." Suddenly the priestess fell down into deep sobs of sorrow.

" `She' what!?" Inu-Yasha grabbed Keade's shoulders, his hands trembling violently. Keade regaining some of her composure said silently. . .

"She. . . Won't make it through the night."

Inu-Yasha's eyes widened and he let go of her shoulders to look back down at Kagome.

"So there's nothing we can do?" Shippo piped in.

Keade shook her head, "Nothing. . ."All of the sudden she had an idea, "But in her time. . . they might."

It didn't take any more than a second for Inu-Yasha to grab Kagome and rush out the door. Obi saw a streak of red pass by as Inu-Yasha headed for the well, jumped through, and disappeared.

"H-How. . .?" Obi looked down the well and saw nothing but a bottomless void