InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The King's Mistress ❯ Announced Engagement ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Author's Notes:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~

Title: The King's Mistress

Author: dolphingirl0113

Chapter One: Announced Engagement

Rating: PG-13 (for language and, at times, implied sexual situations)

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~

The first time I met the King, I was only sixteen years old and angry at the world for many reasons. At the time the country was divided into four sections, the North, the South, the East, and the West, all ruled separately, though each ruler had to answer to the one King of all, who my sister had somehow managed to ensnare. It was thanks to Kikyou that I had been engaged to Lord Kouga, ruler of the North, without my consent, and I knew deep down it was a method of getting rid of me, for that's what it means to be sisters: you act, or you don't, and the loser is the one who ends up leaving home for a faraway, unknown land while the winner stays to claim her prize. For this I was bitter, and my court debut, which should have been a joyous occasion, felt more like a sentencing hearing, and I could almost hear the bars of my prison of marriage closing in around me.

Little did I know then that the King was as anxious to avoid his wedding as I was mine; it would become a mutual bond between us, beginning with that first meeting. I laugh now at the memory, for back then I never could have guessed the repercussions for that chance introduction in the rose gardens…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was exactly one year since the former King's death when his son announced he had chosen a woman to be his wife and Queen. There was much rejoicing, for all believed that now the country would be stable again after much turmoil between their young King and his brother following the death of their father.

In order to please the people, the King had ordered for seven days of festivities, which would include banquets and balls at the palace, and romping and feasting in the streets. Surely this meant that good times were ahead. And so, in order to properly honor the new bride-to-be, noble families flocked to the palace by the hundreds to pay their respects and, hopefully, win favor with the soon to be Queen.

But one family did not move with such haste, for by all accounts they already had the eye of the King's fiancée. And so, while all the others rushed past in their carriages and atop their horses, the Higurashi family moved at a leisurely pace, enjoying the scenery and the chance to see the countryside.

They were a proud family, to be sure, but humble all the same. They were made up of Lady Higurashi who, following her husband's death ten years ago, had been honored by the King in receiving the title of Marquess, thus allowing her to remain unmarried and run her household as she pleased. She had three children, her youngest being her son, Souta, who would one day inherit their vast home, her younger daughter, Kagome, and, as all the land now knew, her eldest, Kikyou, who would soon be Queen, married to King Inuyasha.

They made their way slowly down the road, now empty, for all the previous traffic had passed, and altogether it was a very quiet, somber journey, for the Marquess knew that her daughter was unhappy.

Kagome sat atop her impressive grey mare, her back rigid as she brooded over her current situation, a deep-set frown in place on her face. Her sister was to be married to the King, and she was to be sent away to marry Kouga, lord of the North, and a man she had never seen before. It wasn't exactly how she had imagined it all in her dreams.

"Oh come, sweetheart," her mother called out kindly, "Don't be so glum. You have no idea how exciting the court can be."

But Kagome just shrugged her shoulders and grunted in a very unladylike fashion, unwilling to be anything but absolutely depressed. "I have no interest in going to court knowing full well that in six months time I will be married to a complete stranger and sent away to the north to live among the wolf tribes."

"Lord Kouga won't be a stranger by the time you marry him," the Marquess offered, trying to find some way to cheer up her daughter. "And besides, by marrying him you are a Queen in your own right."

"Yes, but still suppliant to Kikyou, who will rule over all."

"Is that what bothers you so much? The idea of being beneath your sister?"

"Do you expect me to leap for joy? It's bad enough that I'm younger then she is, and plainer, and simpler, and less witty, but now on top of all that I shall have to call her Your Majesty." Kagome spat the words as though they were poison.

For as long as she could remember, she and Kikyou had been rivals. Of course, it wasn't always like this, where the ultimate prize was a crown. It used to be attention from their parents and neighbors, who received the best jewelry and who looked more beautiful in a particular dress. Those had been simpler times. Those had been times when Kagome had loved Kikyou more then life itself, and had been loved just as much in return. Now everything was changed…

"You must not be jealous of your sister, Kagome…you don't wear such an emotion well."

Kagome whipped her head to the left to look her mother square in the face. "I'm not jealous of her!"

"Oh really?" The Marquess raised an eyebrow, having heard such lies before from both her daughters. "Then what exactly would you call it?"

"I-I don't know," Kagome confessed, "But I know I do not envy her position."

"Then what is it that troubles you so, Kagome? Why are you not the laughing girl I know so well, and love so much?"

Kagome looked away, taking in the lush, rolling hills of the country and the pleasant sound of the birds chirping in the surrounding trees.

She wasn't jealous of her sister, in fact, there was no one Kagome would rather avoid then Kikyou. That was the problem.

As sisters who were only two years apart in age, and looking nearly identical, everyone inevitably compared the two, and Kagome, as the younger, always managed to fall short somehow, be it in beauty, charm, wit, or intelligence. And over the years, casual comments regarding her inferiority had turned her bitter where her sister was concerned, and for some time the two had ceased any sort of sisterly affection, driven apart by the pressures to outdo the other.

"I wish I had someone else's face," Kagome finally answered her mother's question, for lack of a better response. "I wish I did not so closely resemble the future Queen of this country, because now it will be even worse then it was before, since Kikyou and I shall both be Queens, but Kikyou even more so then I."

Lady Higurashi smiled that knowing smile of hers and reached out to touch her daughter's hand, careful not to fall off her own black mount. "Kagome, you know that there is no one dearer in my heart then you, right?"

Kagome nodded. It was true, the Marquess, though loving toward all her children, made no secret of the fact that Kagome had a special place in her heart that none other could reach. She said it was because of her gentle nature.

"Then that is all that should matter."

Kagome sighed. "But soon I will be far away from you, and married to a stranger in a strange land. It won't matter how you regard me. Who knows what they shall think of me there?"

"Well perhaps you shall find some comfort being so far away from home, where no one knows Kikyou, save for her name."

But Kagome shook her head vehemently. "I don't wish to live so far from you, and so far from my home."

"You had to leave some day, Kagome. You are sixteen years old, and it is time for you to marry and start a life of your own. You couldn't live at the mansion forever, because eventually Souta will take a wife, and then what? You couldn't have intended to live with them as a spinster?"

Kagome started to reply when her brother rode between them, looking as handsome as ever, though still with the face of a young boy. At the age of thirteen, Kagome could tell that he would break many hearts before he finally took marriage vows. "I don't want to marry anyone, mama. Girls are disgusting and annoying."

That brought forth laughter from both women who, since they loved him so much, took no offence to what he said.

"You've been listening to Kagome too much, I fear," the Marquess chuckled, and Kagome sat up straight in her saddle, a glint of playfulness in her eyes.

"So what if he has? What if neither of us ever marries, but instead share the mansion, and its inheritance, and live as we please?" She glanced at Souta with a playful grin. "We could have wild adventures in the woods, what do you say?"

His eyes lit up at the prospect. "I say it sounds like a great idea! I shall not marry, and Kagome won't go away!"

Lady Higurashi smiled at both her children fondly. They, more then Kikyou, had an air of innocence about them, having never been to court before, whereas her eldest daughter had spent the last five years of her life living at the palace as a lady-in-waiting. How she would miss them when they were grown and gone.

"Kagome is to marry Lord Kouga," she replied, her voice kind but firm. Playing and fantasizing was alright, to a point, but eventually it had to end. "She is lucky her sister was able to arrange such a match for her at all."

"Lucky?" Kagome laughed, though this time it was full of bitterness. "Kikyou did this only so that I will now be far away from her. Trust me; she likes my company as much as I do hers. Neither of us can stand the comparisons made between us."

The Marquess chose not to respond to her daughter's latest comment, knowing it was an argument she would not win. Kagome would just have to settle herself to her fate on her own.

"I hear that Lord Kouga is very handsome," she offered finally, hoping that would interest her but, deep down, knowing Kagome cared little for a person's outer appearance. She was a hopeless romantic, and the Marquess figured this is why she was so distressed about the arranged marriage. It meant she would not have the chance to fall in love the old fashioned way.

"He may be, but he is also of the wolf people, and I hear they are barbaric."

"Oh, he can't be all bad if he is considered a lord."

Kagome chuckled. "Oh yes he can. If the people are barbaric, that means their ruler is as well, or else they wouldn't be allowed to behave that way."

Lady Higurashi finally gave up all together and decided to just enjoy the scenery instead. Her daughter could be so stubborn at times. She got that from her father.

After a long time of traveling in silence, Souta shouted that he had spotted flags and, sure enough, when they looked up, Kagome and her mother saw the white towers of the royal palace sticking up over the lower trees in the distance. It wouldn't be long now…

"Kagome, please try and be more like your normal self," her mother implored. "I think if you do that, everyone at court will be delighted with you."

"But this is how I am now, mama, and this is how I will be the rest of my life."

The Marquess just chuckled at her daughter's melodramatic attitude. "You know, your father and I were an arranged match, and look how well that turned out?"

"Yeah, but you only had to move down the road from your home about five miles, and now your father lives with you, since grandma is dead and he cannot live alone anymore."

"I'm just trying to get you to understand that it isn't always a bad thing, having an arranged marriage. Sometimes it could be better if you know very little about the man you are to marry," she winked, "It means that the first few years of your marriage feel more like courtship, which makes for an even longer honeymoon."

Kagome just rolled her eyes. "You're forgetting one thing. I have to actually like my husband before I can be happy."

"Have faith, Kagome, and be like you always are, finding the good in everything. That's how you will be happy."

Sighing, Kagome looked at her mother, knowing she was right, but at the same time unsure what to do. "I just don't know what good there is in this, mama."

Lady Higurashi smiled at her daughter with all the love in her heart, giving Kagome a warm feeling. How she would miss her when she went away. "You'll find it, sweetheart, you always do."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Inuyasha reclined on his rather oversized throne, feeling, as he always did, a bit embarrassed by how small he was in comparison to the large chair. His father had been so much bigger then he was.

But no matter, he reminded himself, for the carpenters were already working on a new throne to match the one arriving for the Queen after they were married.

Thinking about Kikyou, however, soured his mood slightly. He had not thought it possible, but he was less happy now that they were engaged then he had been in all the months he had known her prior. But then, the Kikyou seen in public was, as he had discovered all too late, very different from the real Kikyou behind closed doors.

Outwardly, she behaved like the perfect courtier, with pleasantly seductive smiles and flirtatious flips of her head that sent her long black hair cascading over her shoulders, leaving all the men in the room staring and all the women envious. She always knew exactly what to say, laughed at just the right time, and somewhere along the way had managed to snare Inuyasha in her trap.

In the beginning, he had thought himself in love. But now that he looked back, he realized it was more desire that had driven him to finally ask her to marry him, because surely love would not fade so quickly?

Of course she had not been perfect at hiding her flaws all the time. There were moments when she had snapped at him, or said something snobbish, or hinted that she was really after a crown, and not the King himself, but he had forgiven her for all of that, so enraptured as he had been by her otherwise immaculate charm.

And now he was stuck, plain and simply put, with no way out. He had sealed the engagement, and the wedding was already being planned, the Queen's dress being fitted, and the second throne being made.

"I guess I just wasn't meant to have an easy life," he muttered as his sharp ears atop his head swiveled in the direction of the door leading into the main ballroom, where he could hear footsteps. He sighed, knowing only one woman walked with that much confidence toward his throne room.

Kikyou burst into the room looking rather upset, but still managing at the same time to appear composed. She wore a dress of deep, seductive red accented by white velvet around the seams and the edges, her neckline cut lower then was considered modest, a wealthy diamond at her neck. She certainly knew at the very least how to dress like a Queen.

"Inuyasha, why was I not told that my family had arrived?"

He regarded her with his usual lazy gaze. "I didn't know you cared about whether or not they even existed. Frankly, if it weren't for the laws of nature I would not have known you had a family at all, considering how little you talk of them."

"I have been caught up in my life here at court. There is much to do when planning a royal wedding."

"Indeed, so much so that you have not once invited them to visit, and now that they are coming, you have betrothed your younger sister to a man who lives far away. Forgive me, dear, but it would seem that you do not like your family."

Only Kikyou's eyes revealed her frustration, like an elegant peacock that had just been offended, her dark gaze sharp as she stared at him. Finally she shrugged, as though she no longer cared, and flipped her hair over her shoulder.

"It is of no consequence," she chirped, "Because they haven't seen me yet."

Then it dawned on Inuyasha that Kikyou didn't care about seeing her family, but rather them seeing her. She wanted to dress in her finest clothes and wear her finest jewels in order to humble them before her.

Darkening his gaze and snorting in disgust, Inuyasha cursed his horrible judgment again silently. "I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to change," he commented smoothly, masking his growing anger. "Their official welcoming ceremony isn't set to begin for another two hours."

Kikyou looked away for a moment, her eyes softening…or was he just imagining things? She never acquired such a look around him. At least, not since they had become engaged. "Is…" She looked back at him. "Is my sister Kagome with them now?"

Inuyasha was surprised at her interest. So surprised that he forgot to respond with a callous remark. "Yes, she's been shown to her rooms along with your mother and brother."

"I see…" a wisp of a smile crossed her face. "Kagome…"

Inuyasha couldn't figure out what was going on. "Kikyou, is something wrong?"

As though someone had snapped her out of a trance, Kikyou stood up straight and regal once more, her face passive. "I don't see why they should have a welcoming ceremony at all, it's not like they are of any importance to the court."

"Your mother shall soon be mother to the Queen, and as such she and your siblings deserve great honor. After all," Inuyasha narrowed his eyes cynically, "If it weren't for them, it would have been someone else wearing the crown in six months."

Obviously realizing this was one battle she wasn't going to win, Kikyou glared at him sharply, her eyes practically sparking with fire, before whirling around, her long black hair falling elegantly over her shoulders, as it always did, her delicate heels clicking against the stone floor as she left the room.

Once she was gone and Inuyasha heard the satisfactory click of the door to assure him thus, he rose to his feet and stormed out of his throne room in the opposite direction, down a corridor toward the rose gardens. At least there he might find some peace and solitude.

But even that fate was not willing to grant him, for as he slammed the door open and stepped into the lush rose gardens, he realized he wasn't alone as a young woman started, whirling around to face him.

Sighing in irritation, he waved his hand without even really looking at her. "Forgive me; I suppose we'll just have to share this place for the time being."

"Of course," he heard her soft reply, and the sweet sound caused Inuyasha to do a double take, and actually see the woman before him.

She wore a gown the color of the sky, outlined in royal blue velvet, accenting her shapely figure and slim waist before sweeping away from her in long, elegant skirts, her sleeves falling loosely to her fingertips in an old-fashioned style Inuyasha had not seen since his mother was alive. After her death, and then with the arrival of Kikyou, a new fashion of tight sleeves had taken hold, and he had to admit he had never really liked it.

At first Inuyasha could have sworn he was looking at Kikyou herself, but after only a moment it became clear this woman was entirely different. Her ebony hair was shorter and thicker, falling only about half as far down her back in soft curls, accenting her dark, mysterious but warm eyes set within a kind, heart-shaped face. She stood erect, as though with a secret pride, and currently held a rose up to her nose, a half-smile on her full lips, obviously from when she had been sniffing the bud a moment before.

"You are new to court," Inuyasha stated after finally finding his voice, and she blinked, as though waking as well from a secret revelry.

Kagome had come to the garden as she was told that was where she could find some time to be alone, and at first when she heard the door open had felt nothing but exasperation that her solitude should be interrupted. But when she saw who the new occupant was, she could barely speak.

His amber eyes were what snared her, deep and filled with secret pain, accented by his long silver hair. He seemed formidable, as though a presence of power surrounded him, and even the cute dog ears atop his head appeared powerful at that moment.

"Yes," she replied to his question simply.

"What is your name?"

"Kagome Higurashi."

Inuyasha felt a jolt, realizing that this was Kikyou's younger sister, the one he had expected to be as much of a cold stone as his fiancée. She was so different then he expected, and he could already tell, just by looking at her, that she was the complete opposite of her sister.

"So you are the sister of Kikyou?" He saw a look of pain cross her face, and wondered if he had said something wrong.

"Yes, though I would prefer if you just forget about that."

"Why?" Inuyasha could not hide his surprise. "I should think you would be honored to be the sister of the future Queen."

"I consider it no honor," Kagome snapped back, and Inuyasha suddenly felt his patience grow thin. How dare this woman speak to him thus; did she not know who he was?

"You would be wise to watch what you say, Miss Higurashi, for it is treason to speak so about the royal family."

Kagome chuckled and turned away for an instant. "Kikyou is no more royal now then she ever was, no matter how much she tries." Turning, Kagome eyed the stranger before her and felt a sudden apprehension. She had seen the way he had recognized her name, meaning he knew of her, and had been waiting for her arrival. "You're not Lord Kouga, are you?"

There was a tone of dismay in her voice, and Inuyasha suddenly remembered that she was to be married to that wimpy wolf who had been a rival since he was born. "What if I am? What would you do?"

Kagome felt herself relax, realizing he was not. "I don't believe you, so it does not matter."

"What do you mean? How do you know that I'm not Kouga?"

She smiled, and for some reason Inuyasha felt himself calm in the presence of the warmth that radiated from her face. "I can see it in your eyes." She smelled the rose again, turning around.

"It is rude to turn your back on nobility," Inuyasha chided, not liking at all the feelings in his chest at that moment. He much preferred anger, or simple desire, both raw emotions that were easy to understand. This new feeling was foreign to him.

She turned around and regarded him almost arrogantly. "Forgive me, sire, I've never been to court."

"That is no excuse," he retorted, for some reason looking for a fight.

"I shall bow before the King, which is enough."

"The King…?" He was about to add that he was the King, but then stopped himself. For some reason he wanted to talk to this woman as an equal, and not worry about her biting her tongue due to the crown on his head. She was intriguing.

"Yes, the King. I shall bow before him, and none other, for I am soon to marry Lord Kouga and be Queen of the North."

"You shall have to bow before your sister, for she will be your superior."

Kagome's face darkened. "I have no intention of ever bowing before my sister."

Inuyasha was surprised at the vehemence in her voice. Clearly, the feelings Kikyou harbored for her younger sister were reciprocated, and suddenly he couldn't help but feel sorry for this young woman being married off to a strange land simply so the older sister could feel more secure and at ease.

"To not bow is treason."

"So everything is treason then," Kagome said with a slight chuckle. "I guess the King enjoys running a rather strict court."

Inuyasha felt himself tense at that, not liking the offensive comment at all. "You should watch your tongue, Miss Higurashi."

She regarded him innocently. "You can tell others of what I have said if you like, and then I can get in trouble. But I don't think you will." She cocked her head to one side. "I don't think you will harm me."

"You arrogant little wench," he suddenly burst out, feeling his temper snap. "Don't presume to know what I am thinking!"

"What did you call me?" she retorted. "How dare you! I shall report you to the King!"

But he was already stomping back into the castle, thinking she could report all she wanted, and it would do no good. He would certainly enjoy seeing her surprised face when she was brought before `the King'.

Kagome remained standing in the rose garden for several minutes after he had left, knowing she had been rude, but at the same time not regretting it. Her mother wanted her to be kind, and so she would be, but only to those she felt deserved it. This man, she felt, was arrogant and snobbish.

And yet she could not get him out of her mind throughout the next hour as her ladies prepared her to meet the King and her sister. He was certainly intriguing, and handsome. She wondered who he was.

Finally, her mother appeared in the doorway dressed in a gown of gold, a smile on her face. "Are you ready, Kagome? It's time to go."

"I'm ready as I'll ever be," Kagome replied with a sigh, rising to her feet from where she sat on her large canopy bed and walking out into the hallway.

Souta was waiting for them at the entrance to the large courtyard, where apparently there was a great ceremony for their arrival. It was already obvious that to be related to the Queen meant the family was considered extremely important.

Two young men appeared, dressed in fine attire with serious faces. "Lady Higurashi? We are to escort you and your daughter to meet the King. Your son shall follow at your side."

The Marquess nodded her head and accepted the arm of the man who had spoken while Kagome reluctantly took the other, Souta at her side looking excited. At least one person was happy in all of this, she thought.

The doors opened and they were met with a grand spectacle. Banners were hanging from the walls of the palace in the blue and white colors of the Higurashi family, and before them was an isle created by two rows of knights, one on either side.

Swallowing, it suddenly occurred to Kagome that she was indeed about to meet the King, and she felt a small amount of apprehension. Hopefully, she would make a good impression.

Walking slowly, careful not to trip, she followed her mother, allowing her escort to lead the way. Two people came into view at the end of the isle, and Kagome knew who they would be: the King, and her sister Kikyou.

Sure enough, there she was, regarding Kagome with an extremely haughty expression, as though to say look at me now sister. She wore a gown of stunning purple, the color of royalty, and her fingers were adorned with jewels of all shapes and sizes. It was obvious Kikyou wanted no doubt left in the minds of her family as to who she now was.

But Kagome was suddenly not even aware of Kikyou, for her gaze had drifted to the man at her side, standing proudly with a cape of white fur about his shoulders, a crown on his head. Oh god no, she thought, catching a familiar flash of amber as he regarded her arrogantly, a smirk on his face seeing her suddenly pale complexion. Kagome felt herself sigh in defeat, falling low in an elegant curtsey, knowing this was a battle she could not win.

So much, she thought, for a good first impression.