InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The King's Mistress ❯ The Hunt ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Author's Notes: I love the response this story is receiving! And I'm so glad that everyone is enjoying the fact that I'm mixing Inuyasha characters with historical facts (keeping in mind the fact that I will change some things to fit the story). However there have been some questions, so I'll try to answer them now.

Some of you have pointed out the fact that `Your Grace' refers typically to a Duke, whereas a King should always only be referred to as `Your Majesty'. I did some research into this, and while it is true that `Your Grace' is for a Duke, there were still noblemen who would refer to a King as such if they knew him well. Still, I'll keep that in mind for later chapters. Thanks for pointing that out.

The other question that has arisen is the reference to Kagome's mother as Marquess Higurashi, rather then Marchioness Higurashi. If she were a Marchioness it would mean she was married, or dependent on another man. Back in England, to give a woman the title of Marquess meant she was independent of all men, and had the right to run her life and household as she saw fit.

Other then that, all I can say is that I hope you all continue to enjoy the plot. You're all saying that Kikyou is being portrayed here similar to what she was in `Soul Therapy'; somewhat withdrawn and cold towards Inuyasha. All I can say is this: hold on, because you'll be seeing some changes in her very soon. Not all is what it seems when it comes to her character. Enjoy chapter three!

Valese: No, I don't blame you at all for feeling that way. At the moment, they do seem like the perfect couple, don't they? I sometimes feel that way when watching the anime, simply because Kouga's so kind to her all the time…I can't help but feel sorry for the guy. But just wait, Kagome and Inuyasha will come together eventually! And to answer your other question, some of my inspiration came from Phillipa Gregory's novel `The Other Boleyn Girl', but not all of it. The interaction between Kagome and Kikyou might eventually seem somewhat similar to that of Mary and Anne, but I'll still try to keep a unique spin going. I take it you've read the book? Isn't it wonderful? That's my favorite historical fiction novel ever!

Silver: It is somewhat predictable in the setup, I realize that…but I think I've put a unique spin on it. Unfortunately, that won't start happening for another few chapters, because right now I'm still trying to set the plot stage. It's alright to say that, though, I know the feeling…there are some stories that I read and it's like `Ugh!" not because they are poorly written, but simply because they are far too predictable. Hang in there, it will get better. Besides, I learned in AP English last week that there are six different archetypes from which authors spin stories, so, basically…every story any more is a copy of something else. Thanks for the review!

Miyu6: I think it's positively wonderful that you are enjoying this modest little story of mine. And I have no doubt you shall look positively stunning in your gown come October 31…in my opinion draping sleeves are far more attractive then the tight sleeves that seem to be the fashion these days, wouldn't you agree? Many thanks for your review!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~

Title: A Royal Love Affair

Author: dolphingirl0113

Chapter Three: The Hunt

Rating: PG-13 (for language and, at times, implied sexual situations)

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, nor do I take credit for several of the historical ideas, facts, and realities I have taken and used.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~

That first night, my heart didn't slow down to a normal pace until long after I had retired to my room, the maids tending to my gown while I slipped into my nightdress and combed my hair. It would be the first night when I would have two very different men on my mind, but it would certainly not be the last, and it would mark the first string in a long, tangled web of lies, deceit, and secrets that made up Inuyasha's court…a court I knew so little about.

My sister had changed, that much I was now sure of more then ever. Where once she and I had been very close, now we couldn't have been further apart. Once we took pride in how much we looked alike, calling it the noble Higurashi blood that ran in our veins, but now we saw our twin-like appearance as a curse that would bind us together forever in a world of comparisons and hurt.

My court debut would mark only the beginning of much to come…pain, suffering, loss…happiness, in its own way, too…it would all come in time. If only, I now say…if only I could have known then what would come…but then, that seems to be what everyone says, in the end…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~

Kagome managed to avoid any run-ins with the King for the next week following the banquet, for which she was eternally grateful. It was strange, but when she wasn't near him, she couldn't get him out of her mind, and yet, the two times they had spoken, she had found him pretentious and annoying.

"What's wrong with me?" She sighed, walking slowly through the rose garden, which had quickly become her favorite spot when in need of some peace and quiet.

Bending over to smell a particularly red rose, Kagome was startled when a pleasantly familiar voice interrupted the silence. "You know, you should really stop talking to yourself Kagome, people might start to get weird ideas."

"Sango!" Kagome whirled around and into the arms of her longtime friend, who she hadn't seen in over six months, since she had moved to court. "You're just as beautiful as you always were."

Sango blushed, accenting her already healthy skin, her brown hair pulled back into a simple, long braid that fell past her waist, her eyes outlined in a faint pink shadow. Her gown was simple, light yellow with white fringes on the short sleeves, her neckline modest. She hadn't changed.

"I've missed you Kagome," she finally said, after the two women had finished studying each other, trying to find any possible differences.

"How is it living at court?" Kagome asked, forgetting for an instant that she was living there now too. Sango laughed.

"It's interesting, but you get used to it after a while."

"What's there to get used to?"

Sango raised her eyes suggestively. "Intrigue."

"What?"

"You know, gossip, who's courting who, which husband or wife is having an affair, who said what about the King, that sort of thing."

"Oh," Kagome rolled her eyes, "Just my cup of tea."

Sango laughed and embraced her friend again. "You haven't changed at all, Kagome, and I'm so happy about that. And I hear," she smiled knowingly, "That you made quite an impression at the banquet last week."

"I wouldn't say that," Kagome blushed, "But I noticed that you weren't there. Where were you?"

"Kohaku's sick again, and I had to go home to be with him for a while."

"Sango, I'm so sorry, is he doing any better?"

"Yes, but the doctors say he has to stay indoors for several weeks so that he won't be tempted to go out and do anything reckless again. It was horseback riding that made him sick this time."

Kagome shook her head, thinking about Sango's little brother, the same age as Souta, cooped up in an old mansion with no one but the servants to keep him company. Ever since his parents had died, he had not been the same, and took to getting sick easily so that, even when he finally managed to overcome his grief, his immune system was permanently weakened.

"It's such a shame that a boy his age can't go out and enjoy the sunshine," Kagome finally commented, her voice melancholy.

Sango nodded, but then seemed to brighten as she looped her arm through her friend's and began to stroll through the garden. "Enough talk about him, he wouldn't want either of us to be sad on his account. Tell me about the banquet, I hear that you asked the King to dance."

Kagome rolled her eyes again at the mention of the rather annoying man. "Oh that, well, everyone's making that sound far more important then it actually is…I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about and figured that, since he is my sister's fiancé, I had every right to ask him."

Laughing, Sango just shook her head. "You have so much to learn, Kagome. You're the first person I think in the history of the court to ask the King to dance."

Kagome just shrugged her shoulders. "And so? It's not like anything happened, and I certainly know there is no risk of me stealing him away from Kikyou."

"Why would you say that?"

"Because he doesn't seem to like me." Kagome recalled her comment about his seeming unhappy, and how he had reacted so coldly. Obviously, she had touched a sore spot with that one.

"Well, I wouldn't worry about it; you're already engaged anyway, right?"

"Oh, that," Kagome chuckled, having forgotten about Kouga for an instant.

"What's he like? Do you think it can work out?"

"I don't know," Kagome replied honestly, surprising herself by not giving an outright `no'. "Lord Kouga certainly seems nice enough, and I think he genuinely likes me, but I don't know if I would be happy as his wife." She smiled as she recalled his offer.

Sango gave her friend a curious stare, one of her eyebrows raised. "What are you smiling about?"

"He told me that, at the end of six months, if I didn't want to marry him, I didn't have to. I could just say no, and he would accept my decision."

"You can't be serious!"

"Of course I am, why is that so surprising?"

"Kagome, most men are so desperate to get a wife like you that they would hold you to your promise until the day you die."

Shrugging again, Kagome returned her attention to the roses she had been observing a few minutes ago as they continued to stroll. "Maybe I just lucked into getting a gentleman, and not a rogue."

"I guess so."

"And what about you? Any prospects in sight?"

Sango blushed, like she always did at the mention of marriage when it concerned herself, and shook her head. "No, not really, I'm just not into the prospect of marriage right now, not with Kohaku."

Unfortunately for Sango, Kagome knew her friend too well, and could tell by the maidenly blush on her cheeks that there was someone who had caught her fancy. "Who is he Sango?"

"No one!" She burst out, and Kagome raised an eyebrow with a smile. "Fine, if you must know, his name's Miroku."

"The King's right hand man?" Kagome recalled having seen him at the banquet, always at the King's side, but when he wasn't, flirting with the ladies. He had been handsome, as she recalled, with a very innocent face…dangerous in a man of his stature. "You certainly set your sights high."

"I didn't plan on feeling anything for him, it just sort of happened." Sango now sounded desperate, almost like she was embarrassed. "He took an interest in me, and I guess you could say his charm won me over."

"So, is he courting you?"

"Not exactly."

"Why not?"

"I won't let him."

"Sango!" Kagome heaved a sigh of frustration.

"What? He's really kind of a lecher, if you know what I mean, so I'd rather just hold him off until these feelings pass."

Kagome laughed. "And you honestly think they will?"

"I don't know; I sure hope so because the last thing I want is to be defending other poor, unsuspecting women from my husband." They laughed together, and Kagome forgot all of her troubles, including the King, her engagement, and being reunited with her sister. It was good to be with her friend once more.

The door to the garden opened, and a small boy appeared. Immediately Kagome saw that he was a young fox demon thanks to his tiny feet and shocking mop of red hair. "And who are you?" she asked kindly.

The boy shuffled his feet shyly, smiling back as only a child can, his green eyes eyeing her with curiosity. "My name's Shippou. I am the personal servant of the King."

Kagome detached herself from Sango's arm, knelt down before him, ignoring her skirts which were bunching up around her waist uncomfortably, and smiled. "And is there something you need, Shippou?"

"My lord requests that you come with him on the hunt today," the boy glanced at Sango, "And you as well."

"The hunt?" Kagome looked confused, and Sango hastened to explain.

"It is something of a sport for the King and several members of the court to go hunting. The men will hunt while the women ride alongside."

"The women don't get to hunt as well?"

Sango shrugged. "It's not forbidden I suppose, but no woman ever does."

Kagome smiled meaningfully. "Well perhaps it's time someone did. I have no intention of just sitting back and letting the men have all the fun, I can use a bow and arrow."

"You can shoot arrows?" Shippou asked, seemingly in awe. Kagome smiled at his innocence and chuckled.

"You're awfully young to be in the King's service," she commented, "How did you end up as his servant?"

Shippou puffed himself up slightly. "The King saved me after my parents were killed, and then offered me a place in his house as protection. I owe him my life for what he did, and gladly serve him."

Kagome laughed out loud, and the boy furrowed his brow in confusion. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing, you just sound like you rehearsed that several times."

He blushed. "I did, but don't tell anyone."

"And tell me, Shippou, are you happy serving the King?"

"Yes, but sometimes," he stopped himself short of saying something less then pleasant, but Kagome touched his shoulder.

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone, and neither will Sango, will we?" Sango shook her head, and Shippou seemed to relax instantly, for some reason trusting Kagome completely.

"Sometimes the King can be really annoying."

"I agree with you on that one," Kagome replied, and the two of them laughed as she scooped him up into her arms, hugging him close. "You're just so cute!"

Shippou blushed. "I'm almost ten years old, and I can take care of myself."

"I'm sure you can, you look very powerful, like someone who is used to serving a King," Kagome commented, sounding as though she were impressed, and the little boy did his best to have a stern face, which caused Sango to giggle.

"Well, I suppose we had better go then," Kagome finally said, setting Shippou down on the ground once more and glancing at Sango. "I don't need to change or anything, do I?"

"Most ladies will, but you don't have to. I'm not."

"Then I won't either," Kagome glanced at Shippou. "Tell the King that Sango and I shall be ready in the courtyard when it is time to leave. And Shippou?" The boy stopped and turned around to look at her again. "Are you coming?"

"I'm too small to ride a horse," he replied, sounding somewhat sorry about that fact, and Kagome winked.

"Why don't you just ride with me then? I don't mind."

His eyes lit up like he'd just found out the Christmas holidays were coming early. "Really? Oh, Miss Higurashi, that would be wonderful!"

"Please, just call me Kagome, Shippou. I hate people making me sound so old and formal."

He nodded, still looking like he could barely contain his excitement, and scurried off to find the King and tell him the good news and get ready to go himself for the first time in his life.

"You certainly made his day," Sango commented as the two women stepped back into the corridors of the palace.

"He is just so adorable, I couldn't help myself."

Sango smiled. "You'll make a great mother some day Kagome."

She blushed at the compliment. "Well, we'll just have to wait and see about that, since I'm not going to be a mother for a while yet. But for now, I need to find my bow and arrows."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Inuyasha shifted in his saddle, waiting with an impatient scowl for all the men and women of his court to arrive ready to leave. He hated all this pomp and ceremony, but Kikyou insisted upon it, and he was never in the mood to argue with her about it.

When he went hunting alone, he never rode a horse, but preferred to run instead since he could easily outrun any prey, and the only weapon he used was his father's old sword, the tetsusaiga. But his fiancée was horrified at the thought, thinking it was humiliating for a King to run on the ground while his subjects rode horses, so he was stuck riding the dumb beast when he would rather be elsewhere.

The sound of a familiar laugh wafted through the corridors and into the courtyard, and a few moments later Inuyasha saw Kagome appear, surrounded by Kouga, the Lady Sango, Miroku, and, of all people, Hojo, the son of a Duke at court. Inuyasha couldn't help but wonder what a cowardly, puny little man like him was doing in the company of Kagome…

She was wearing a dress of deep burgundy, which accented her dark eyes and hair and advertised her healthy skin. She seemed to shine above the rest of them, and it wasn't just because her dress was in that old style that reminded him so much of his mother, but also because of her bright face and gentle smile.

"I can't believe it," he heard her saying, "Who would have thought you would be visiting court now too, Hojo?"

"I'm pleased to see you too Kagome," the boy replied shyly, and Sango touched his shoulder affectionately.

"Hojo still can't get out more then one sentence at a time around the girls," she commented, and everyone laughed, even Hojo, though the joke was at his expense. They all seemed to be having so much fun, and Inuyasha felt a growl of envy welling up in his throat. Why was it that Miroku and Kouga were able to just walk around talking to someone like Kagome, when he couldn't get anywhere near her without starting up all kinds of rumors?

Because you're the King, his inner voice stated simply, and he sighed in frustration. He didn't want to be. To be a King, he had learned all too soon after assuming the throne, meant you were alone all the time…very alone.

"Here my lady, let me help you," he heard Kouga say in his elegant, flirtatious voice.

"Just call me Kagome," Kagome replied, "And that's alright, I can mount my own horse." And she did just that, pulling herself up so that she sat sidesaddle atop a beautiful grey mare.

It was then that Inuyasha noticed the bow and arrows on her back, and he allowed his jaw to drop shamefully in surprise. Surely she didn't intend to participate in the hunt? All she would do would be to slow them down!

"Are the bow and arrows for someone else I hope?" he called out, and Kagome looked at him, for a moment her gaze causing his breath to stop. But his voice had been callous, and she looked annoyed.

"No, they are for me. I intend to hunt with you, if you don't mind."

"And what if I do? It is not custom for the women to participate, and I did not invite you so that you could ruin everything."

"Who says I will?" She retorted, "Have you ever seen me use a bow and arrow?"

"Keh, I don't have to," he replied, aware that they were drawing a small audience, and sighed inwardly. Great, he thought, now the whole court would be talking about how the King didn't get along with the future Queen's sister.

"Well I think it's wonderful that she is going to help," Kouga said as he rode up alongside Kagome astride his own white horse, a beaming smile on his face.

"Thank you Kouga," Kagome replied, her eyes full of gratitude for the compliment.

"Keh," was all Inuyasha could manage in reply. Normally, he didn't care if people thought he was rude or unkind, but for some reason, he didn't want to appear that way in front of Kagome. He didn't like that feeling at all.

Kikyou appeared suddenly, a long train of ladies behind her, all dressed elegantly in sweeping gowns that seemed a bit overdone for a hunt, especially compared to Kagome and Sango, who were wearing simple afternoon gowns, not even wearing jewelry.

"Are we ready to go?" she called out cheerily, once again wearing that mask of charm that so perfectly hid her true personality. Every time he saw it, Inuyasha was tempted to stand up and yell `why don't you show people what you're really like!' at the top of his lungs.

"As soon as you and the ladies have their horses," Inuyasha replied, and Kikyou nodded, signaling for her horse to be brought to her as a young man helped her into her saddle. Inuyasha was remembering how Kagome had done it herself.

"Wait!" A small voice cried, and everyone turned to see Shippou, proudly sporting a miniature bow and arrows that Miroku had given him last Christmas, running toward them. Inuyasha growled.

"What are you doing here runt?" He called out, and Shippou smiled as though he had been given his birthday presents early.

"I'm coming on the hunt," he announced proudly, and everyone around him chuckled.

"You're too young to ride a horse," Inuyasha replied, rolling his eyes indulgently.

"I'm not going to be riding my own horse," Shippou replied.

Inuyasha laughed, turning around. "And how are you going to travel? On foot?"

"No," Shippou moved over to where Kagome sat, "Kagome said she would take me."

"Kagome?" He stammered slightly. "You mean Miss Higurashi?"

"She said I could call her Kagome, and yes, I'm going to ride with her."

Unable to say anything to that, Inuyasha just watched for a moment as the young woman hoisted the kitsune into her lap and instructed him on how to hold the reins while the gray horse waited patiently.

"Whatever," he finally commented to himself and then, in a louder voice, "Let's go!"

The caravan started out, and Kagome instantly found herself surrounded by Sango, Miroku, Hojo, and Kouga. In the beginning she had thought the hunt would be boring, but now she understood that, until they found their prey, they could talk all they wanted. "The King seemed upset," she commented, "I hope I didn't do anything wrong."

"He's always like that," Kouga replied casually, "I wouldn't worry about it. It seems like even in the best of moods he has a stick up his ass."

"Kouga!" Sango exclaimed, but Miroku was just laughing, and Kagome couldn't help but smile. Even Hojo allowed a small chuckle to escape his lips.

"So, how good are you really with the bow and arrow?" he finally asked when Miroku had stopped laughing. Kagome smiled proudly.

"She's very good," Sango answered for her friend. "When we were younger, her father trained her to use the purity arrow."

"The purity arrow?" All three men looked impressed. Kouga smiled in pride. "Now that's something I'd like to see my future wife be able to do."

Kagome blushed at the reference to their engagement, but didn't refute the statement. Perhaps Kouga wouldn't be so bad as a husband after all, she was deciding.

"This is so much fun!" Shippou called out at one point, bouncing happily in the saddle, and Kagome laughed.

"Have you truly never ridden a horse before?"

"No, my parents died before they could teach me, and the King never taught me either because he has better things to do."

Kagome just shook her head and smiled. "Well, you're learning now. You're even holding the reins!"

"I know, and I'm doing a good job too!"

"You most certainly are." Kagome failed to mention that she was holding the reins behind him so that the horse wouldn't drift off anywhere unnecessary. Everyone else smiled at the boy.

"Hey Kagome," A voice called, and over her shoulder Kagome saw Souta approaching their little group riding the brown stallion their grandfather had bought him for his twelfth birthday.

"Souta! I didn't even see you, is mama here as well?"

"No, she didn't want to come," he answered as he rode up alongside his sister, "But she said I could go."

"And who are you?" Kouga inquired.

"I'm Souta Higurashi, her brother. Who are you?"

Kouga laughed at the look of fierce protection in the younger boy. "My name is Kouga, Lord of the North, and I am to be your sister's husband, if she'll have me." He winked at Kagome, who blushed in return.

"Is that so?" Souta seemed to be looking over the wolf-man for a moment before coming to a decision. "I guess you'll do."

"Well I'm glad I meet with your approval," Kouga replied seriously, as though it meant the world to him, and Souta nodded proudly, as though his opinion had been the deciding factor in his sister's engagement. Kagome just smiled, glad to see that her fiancé had a way with children.

They would have said more, but suddenly a horn sounded, and everyone stopped moving. Someone had spotted a deer.

The King was off faster then anyone else, though the rest of the party followed quickly, the ladies in the back and the men in front, preparing their arrows. Kagome quickly surpassed everyone so that, before long, she was alongside the King. He shot her a glare, but she ignored it.

Reaching out with her senses, Kagome felt the aura of the deer up ahead, slightly to the left, and smiled. "There you are," she whispered, and veered off in a slightly different direction.

Inuyasha, unsure of what she was doing, decided to follow, knowing he would feel stupid later if he had missed out on an opportunity to get to his prey first. And before long he knew he'd made the right choice as the scent of the deer reached his sensitive nose.

She knew he was behind her, but Kagome didn't care, caught up as she was in the exhilarating rush of the hunt, the wind blowing her hair wildly about her face, knowing her cheeks were flushed red from the cold. A flash of brown and Kagome knew she was catching up. "Are you ready Shippou?"

"Yeah," he replied, completely serious now that it was time to make the final kill. He notched one of his tiny arrows and fired, missing the deer by a long shot, but still smiling.

"Good job, Shippou, that was close," Kagome complimented, taking out her own arrow and preparing to fire. The kitsune beamed under the praise.

Inuyasha saw Kagome readying her arrow and growled. There was no way in hell he was going to let her be the victor. Drawing his sword, he prepared to move past her and cut the deer with his own attack.

But before he could do anything, a wave of purity cascaded through the air, and he could only stare in shock as one of the famous purity arrows shot toward the deer, a pink light leaving the air sparkling in its wake. The deer was dead before it knew what happened, and Kagome leapt from her horse, Shippou at her side, to stare at her prey triumphantly.

Inuyasha, his jaw practically touching the ground, could only gawk.

"What's the matter Your Grace? You seem surprised by something," Kagome called out, once again not following the proper rules of etiquette when it came to addressing royalty. Inuyasha growled and immediately shut his mouth.

"Hasn't anyone taught you manners, wench?" he grumbled as he slid from his horse as well.

"My name is Kagome, if you must know, and I don't think the members of your court would appreciate you insulting a woman like that."

"Keh, they're far behind us. Besides, I don't give a damn what they think." He examined the fallen deer, noting the perfect accuracy of Kagome's arrow, which had dissolved so that now the animal almost seemed to just be sleeping.

Glancing up, he saw her staring at the deer as well and muttering something under her breath, her eyes closed. Her hair was windswept about her face, and her cheeks were flushed. Inuyasha had never seen anything that looked so beautiful in his entire life. Suddenly Kikyou's superficial beauty, with all her jewels and fancy gowns, paled in comparison.

"What are you doing?" He found himself asking.

"I'm sending its soul into the afterlife with a blessing," she replied after finishing and opening her eyes once more.

She met his gaze, and for an instant they truly were alone as Inuyasha felt a jolt run through his body like never before, her dark eyes inspiring wild thoughts in his head, one of them being confusion. He didn't like that at all. "Where did you learn to shoot the purity arrow?" he asked finally, still not looking away.

Kagome, by her dreamy face, was clearly as lost in the moment as he was as she replied. "My mother and father taught me."

They continued staring at each other while Shippou scurried around beneath them, completely oblivious to what was going on.

The sound of hoof beats broke the silence, and the magic of the moment, and both looked away with a blush, Kagome rubbing the back of her head nervously. "Well, I guess I should get out of the way and let you men handle the rest."

"No," Inuyasha replied, and she gave him a slightly surprised look, noticing that, for once, his voice held no sarcasm or malice. He blushed again. "You hit the deer, it's your prize. You should take credit for it."

"Thank you, Your Grace," Kagome replied, unsure of what else to say. Why was he suddenly being so kind? And, more importantly, why was she suddenly feeling so hot?

He grunted. "I can't stand such formality any more then you can. Since you're going to be my sister-in-law, call me Inuyasha."

Now that was a surprise. She must have had a stupid look on her face because he threw his head back and laughed in a way that caused Kagome to stare. It was such a beautiful sound.

"As you wish, Your Grace," she blushed at her mistake, "I mean, um, Inuyasha."

She was actually speechless, for the first time since he'd met her, and Inuyasha found it rather cute. If that's what it took to get her to shut up, perhaps he should try being polite to her more often. He nodded his head in acknowledgement as several young men, including Miroku, Hojo, and Kouga, entered the clearing, followed by the women, among them, Kikyou with a scowl on her face.

Kagome was aware of her older sister's icy gaze, knowing that if looks could kill she would be dead by now, and realized Kikyou must have heard her fiancé laugh like a little boy. But why should that upset her? Didn't he laugh like that all the time?

"Well done, Inuyasha," she said in a calm voice, a small smile on her lips. "You have proven yourself master of the hunt once more."

Everyone started to applaud, but Inuyasha shook his head and pointed at Kagome. "It is she who deserves your attention, not I. She is the first woman of this court to actually take down the prey, and she has the best marksmanship I have ever seen."

Kagome seemed to radiate sunlight under such praise, and everyone applauded happily, especially Sango. Kouga leapt off his horse and swept her into his arms in a congratulatory hug. "I expect nothing less from such an incredible woman," he announced, "And I think that tonight, when we eat this deer, the banquet should be in Kagome's honor." Everyone shouted agreement, and Kagome felt like she had developed a permanent red stain on her cheeks from all the attention.

But she was knocked off her cloud when she caught Inuyasha staring at her with a very prominent scowl in place, looking very unhappy to see her in Kouga's arms. The look unnerved her, and the whole way back, Kagome couldn't get it out of her mind. Why would he, the King, care what she did and who she married? And what was more, why couldn't she get her heart to stop racing?