InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The King's Mistress ❯ The Dance Begins ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Announcement:
 
I've had several people ask if they could draw pictures of the characters from my stories, and I want it known that it is perfectly fine if you would like to do so. All I ask is that you let me know and, if possible, send me your work so I can see it, because I can't draw worth beans and would love to see someone with actual talent. Also, if you do draw anything, let me know if you post it somewhere on the web, and I will personally give you credit for it, with a link to the site, on my profile page. Okay, so are we all clear now? Cool.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
Title: The King's Mistress
 
Author: dolphingirl0113
 
Chapter Seven: The Dance Begins
 
Rating: PG-13 (for language and, at times, implied sexual situations)
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~
 
I found it interesting that, even though the crowds had flocked to see the King free the prisoners, once the deed was done they almost seemed afraid, as though the reality took a few extra hours to sink in that former criminals were once more walking the streets of their city. People were quieter, as though feeling like so long as they remained silent, evil would not find them.
 
The biggest changes I remember were the nights. The banquets were smaller and not nearly as joyful as before. The dancing was reserved, and the feasting and wine was reduced in amount and proportion. However, like all things that involve people, the fear would eventually recede, like flooded waters on a riverbank, and life would return to normal…but for one exception.
 
Kikyou refused to make appearances any more, unless she absolutely had to. She would frequently take meals in her chambers, alone, and on the rare occasion I would see her wandering through the halls of the palace, she seemed to be almost glancing over her shoulder to be looking for something…or someone. I felt sorry for her, but at the same time, felt that her absence from the lime light provided me with a certain freedom I had never known before. Suddenly I could dance, eat, laugh, and sing as much as I wanted and not worry about her hard, cold stare piercing my back, and as such I came alive like a flower in the first days of spring, spreading my leaves and opening my buds after having been kept locked away for the long winter.
 
Unfortunately, like all things joyful, there is always a flipside…an opposite effect…that one frequently doesn't see until it's too late. And I was no different…
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Two months.
 
She had now been at court for a little over two months, which also meant that, in less than five, she would be leaving with Kouga for the North…or at least, she would be making her final decision.
 
Sighing, Kagome sat down on her bed, her long ebony hair falling over her left shoulder as she gently stroked it with her large brush, feeling as all the knots and tangles worked themselves out into straight, smooth lines and wavy curls, the same way she was slowly working the worries and knots of confusion out of her mind. She wished time would just slow down a little, if only for her sake. Time was her enemy, because the passage of time only brought her closer to that one moment in time when she would have to make a decision that would affect the rest of her life…for good, or bad. In that moment, she would either make, or break, a wonderful man's heart, and that was the harshest reality of all.
 
It was almost easier when I had to marry Kouga, no matter what, she thought to herself. At least then, she could blame her sister for arranging the marriage in the first place. Now, the choice was in her hands, and if she made the wrong choice, she would have no one but herself to blame.
 
The sun was setting outside her window, painting the sky in all colors of red and yellow, and Kagome found herself standing up and going to lean against the windowsill, watching as the great yellow orb fell slowly below the mountains beyond, the smell of fresh air reaching her nostrils. It was beautiful…in fact, she had never really seen anything so beautiful in her entire life…and yet, her roiling mind managed to partially ruin the moment for her.
 
Still leaning against the wall, dressed in nothing but her shift and undergarments, Kagome turned her head to look for a long time at her violin, redder than usual in the light of the fading day. The instrument almost seemed to call to her from where it was carefully leaning against the wall atop her dresser, the bow lying on its side horizontally in front.
 
“What would you have me do, father?” She wondered aloud, trying to feel his presence by closing her eyes and allowing his memory to cloud over everything else. But before she could reach him, she was interrupted by the sound of approaching feet, and blinked several times to bring herself back to reality just as her mother appeared in the doorway.
 
“Kagome, you should already be dressed. The banquet starts in an hour.”
 
Sighing, Kagome moved back to sit on her bed. “I don't really want to go, mama. It's not like I haven't been to a million feasts already. I already have to lace my gowns much looser as it is.”
 
Lady Higurashi observed her daughter for several minutes before frowning and walking over to sit beside her on the bed. “Something is troubling you, and I know it's not your figure. What is it?”
 
Kagome smiled at the way her mother always managed to read her mind, and took the older woman's hand in her own, squeezing slightly. “I'm just…confused right now, that's all.”
 
“About what, sweetheart?”
 
“Marriage.”
 
“Ah…” Lady Higurashi nodded, the light of understanding coming to her eyes. “You don't know what to do, now that Lord Kouga has given you a choice? Now that you are no longer forced into doing anything you do not want?” Kagome nodded. “Oh sweetheart, don't let such things trouble your mind right now. Love is, well, such a strange thing…it's not something you can control, or ever predict…you just have to, well, let your heart tell you what is right, when the time comes.”
 
“And how will my heart know any more then my mind?”
 
Her mother smiled and touched her cheek. “It will know, trust me. And you might be surprised when it finally gives you its answer.” Kagome raised her eyebrows questioningly, but Lady Higurashi merely laughed, patting her hand gently. “Some day, you'll understand.”
 
Kagome nodded and rose to her feet, her mother following. “I'd best get ready then.”
 
“Indeed,” her mother clapped her hands together twice, and two maids appeared in the doorway, bowing slightly before moving to Kagome's closet to choose her gown for the evening. Lady Higurashi turned and kissed her daughter on the cheek. “I'll see you at dinner.” And with that, she swept elegantly out of the room, her green skirts swishing behind her.
 
It took Kagome hardly thirty minutes to be ready, since she always refused to wear makeup, instead liking her natural qualities to shine through, such as her healthy ivory skin, dark eyes, and full, red lips. None of that would be obvious if it was hidden by makeup.
 
“There, my lady,” One of the maids said, putting the final pin in her hair. “You shall be the most beautiful woman of the evening.”
 
Rising from her chair, Kagome couldn't resist walking over to stand before one of the large, full-length mirrors by her closet to admire herself. She had chosen a cream-colored gown with the draped sleeves she loved so much, her neckline modest, but still low enough to remind men that she was a woman. It was outlined by small, stitched red roses, a single large rose stitched on the chest. She wore a strand of pearls around her neck and, to match, had placed a belt of pearls around her waist, the strand falling down nearly to her knee, twirling as she moved. Her hair had been partially pulled away and pinned on top of her head, curled and falling down over her shoulders, while the rest fell down her back in waves. It was perfect.
 
How strange, she thought to herself as she and her reflection gazed at one another. Kagome had expected to lose confidence when she came to court, not gain it, and yet that is precisely what had happened. Perhaps it was all the attention she received from the men and women, and perhaps it was simply the fact that she felt, for once, she could break away from Kikyou's shadow since her sister was at that point so far above her no one even bothered to make comparisons any more. Either way, she liked the change, and the bright smile on her face was evident as she moved out of her room.
 
As she appeared in the dining hall, several familiar eyes turned her way, along with many new ones, and Kagome had to resist the urge to blush. She really did feel beautiful that night.
 
Kouga was at her side instantly, sending other men meaningful stares that said `this one is mine', to which they all responded by looking away. Kagome knew what he was doing, and felt slightly irritated, but decided not to make a scene in front of so many members of the court. She'd already made several statements by participating in the hunts and asking the King to dance her first night and besides, Kouga didn't need such a humiliating experience weighing on his conscience.
 
“You look beautiful,” the wolf-man whispered in her ear, and she beamed in pride, raising her chin slightly higher.
 
“Thank you, my lord,” she glanced at his own pristine white shirt, loosely tucked in at his waist, his black pants and shoes shining, the spitting image of cleanliness. He was clean-shaven, his face smooth, and his blue eyes sparkled under the lights of the candles. Kagome grinned. “You don't look so bad yourself.”
 
He laughed at that and led her to a place of honor, near the front of the table, to sit and eat, but that also meant Kagome was near the King. Since Kikyou was once again not there, her throne had been removed, and now all barriers between the two were gone, so that her right hand, if she wasn't careful, could have easily bumped into his left.
 
Rising to her feet, she curtsied gracefully, putting a smile on her face. “Good evening, Your Majesty.”
 
He nodded. “Good evening, Miss Higurashi.”
 
She grinned. “I thought I told you to call me Kagome, Your Majesty.”
 
He grinned back, albeit slightly. “And I will, if you remember to call me Inuyasha.”
 
“But that is so disrespectful in front of all these people.”
 
“You are the sister of my fiancée. I hardly see where it is disrespectful.”
 
“Very well,” Kagome smiled outright. He seemed to be in quite a good mood that evening. In fact, he always seemed to be in a better mood when her sister wasn't present. “I'll try to remember, Your Grace…I mean…Inuyasha.”
 
“Thank you…Kagome.”
 
For some reason, her body gave off an uncomfortable jolt as she heard her name roll off his tongue, and Kagome quickly looked away, trying to find something interesting about her empty china plate sitting before her. But she could still feel his penetrating amber eyes staring at her, and it was like fighting back an avalanche keeping her eyes directed somewhere else. Why, she asked silently, why had Kouga given her this chair? And more importantly, why was her heart fluttering so rapidly in her chest, as though she were a rabbit scurrying away from the hound?
 
Thankfully, servants appeared just as she was losing the battle with herself, placing a bowl of soup before her and giving her a real reason to focus on something other than the King. She felt his gaze lift from her as well, and knew he was probably eating at this point too.
 
“Wow,” she heard Miroku say, and looked up to see his eyes watering slightly. “That is some serious spice the cooks used tonight.”
 
“Careful, Miroku,” Inuyasha replied, his voice teasing, “You could be eating poison.”
 
“Very funny,” the black-haired man retorted, although he was suddenly looking with suspicion at the bowl, carefully setting his spoon down. Kagome started laughing at the sight, her eyes dancing, and causing both Kouga and Inuyasha to look at her in surprise at the beautiful sound.
 
“Come now, Miroku, who would want to poison you?” She asked, still giggling. “After all, you're no person of importance.”
 
“True,” he seemed to relax, but then frowned again, looking at her. “You know, I think now I could take that as an insult.”
 
She nodded. “You could, or you could see it as a blessing. The only man worth poisoning here is our King, Inuyasha.” She merrily took another spoon of soup and put it in her mouth, enjoying the spice. “The rest of us are safe.”
 
“Well doesn't that just make me feel like the guest of honor,” Inuyasha muttered, now being the one to glare at his soup with suspicion. Everyone just laughed at that, and Kouga put an arm around Kagome's shoulders, squeezing slightly.
 
“Am I not important enough to poison?” he teased.
 
She winked. “Not here…but maybe, once you're back in the North, someone will want you gone.”
 
He nodded. “I suppose that's enough for me.”
 
Sango laughed this time. “You all act as though that's a good thing.”
 
The wolf-man shrugged. “It is, in the sense that it makes me feel important. I think Kagome here is only impressed by figures worthy of being murdered.”
 
Blushing, Kagome coughed slightly and dropped her spoon into her soup with a splat, although thankfully the broth stayed in the bowl. “I beg your pardon?” Everyone laughed, including Inuyasha, at her expense, and if it weren't for the fact that she was so distracted by how beautiful he looked at that moment, she would have blushed even more.
 
The rest of dinner went well, with the friends playfully bantering back and forth, trading insults, and in the end laughing about it. Even Kouga and Inuyasha managed to get along, though Kagome suspected it had something to do with the fact that she was in between them playing mediator. Finally, after the servants had cleared away all the dessert dishes, the guests rose to their feet to move to the center of the room for dancing. Once the tables were gone, the string quartet began to play, and couples quickly filled the floor, moving gracefully to the music.
 
Walking up to her side, Kouga extended his hand, which Kagome happily accepted. “Would you care to dance?”
 
“I would be delighted.”
 
Inuyasha watched as his rival led the beautiful Kagome Higurashi onto the floor, and once again felt his fists clenching in barely controlled jealously. Why was he so envious of a wimpy wolf? Or worse, why was he so wanton for the wolf's fiancée, his own woman's younger sister? What was it about Kagome Higurashi that he found so interesting, so amusing, and so…desirable?
 
She's beautiful, a voice inside his head commented, but Inuyasha brushed it away by taking a sip of wine. So what? Kikyou was beautiful. Kikyou was considered the most beautiful woman in the country.
 
She's beautiful in a different way, the voice persisted, and this time the hanyou couldn't explain that away, because he knew it was true. Kikyou was beautiful like a perfectly sculpted statue, flawless, but also untouchable, her eyes as cold as cut marble. Kagome, on the other had, was warm and gentle and kind, her eyes full of life and the potential to love. And Kouga would get all of that for himself.
 
Growling in spite of himself, Inuyasha furiously crossed his arms, and was so focused on pouting he didn't even hear the approach of his friend until it was too late, and Miroku caused him to jump by whispering in his ear. “Someone on your mind, old friend?”
 
“Keh,” Inuyasha turned away, “No, why would you ask that?”
 
“Because your eyes haven't left Kagome since she first came into the room.”
 
“How would you know? I thought you were eyeing Sango the whole evening?”
 
Miroku didn't even blush at what was supposed to be an insulting innuendo. Instead he just nodded. “True, but I've watched you occasionally too. So tell me, why do you keep staring at her?”
 
“I don't!”
 
“Fine, if you say so.” The two friends lapsed into silence, which was finally broken when the dance ended and everyone applauded the musicians, who bowed slightly before striking up another, faster song. Inuyasha watched as Kagome walked off the dance floor, taking her hand from Kouga's, and motioning for him to continue while she went to sit on a windowsill for the time being.
 
Once she was alone, he decided to go talk with her, and so Inuyasha left his throne as subtly as a King could, and moved in her direction, sitting beside her silently and not saying a word. She turned and stared at him in surprise, but then looked away, obviously deciding to not even bother asking what he was doing, assuming she wouldn't get an answer.
 
For his part, Inuyasha was content to just observe her out of the corner of his eye. The moonlight was filtering through the window in such a way that she seemed to glow, making everything about her look softer, if that was even possible since she always looked so calm and inviting anyway. Her well-defined features were free of makeup, which he liked, and her eyes sparkled as they followed the dancers on the floor.
 
His inner voice had a point…she was very beautiful.
 
“It's a lovely evening,” she finally offered, and he nodded, now that he was in her presence unsure of what to say or do, but at the same time recognizing that his silence had probably been making her uncomfortable as well. But her next question surprised him. “Where's Kikyou?”
 
“What?” He couldn't help the way his body tensed as she mentioned the name of his fiancée…her sister…
 
“You heard me…where's my sister?”
 
“Oh, she's, um, in her chambers this evening.”
 
“Like she has been for the past two weeks?” He looked away at her blunt statement, and she looked at him steadily. “What's going on? It's not like her to miss a chance to appear publicly.”
 
He shrugged. “I don't know. The release of the prisoners has made her nervous, I guess.”
 
“As it made everyone nervous; but they all got over it…why hasn't she?” Kagome knew why, but she wanted to hear him say it, hoping he could shed some new light into the mystery surrounding her sister's disgrace and sudden change in personality. Unfortunately, Inuyasha just remained silent, so she finally sighed and gave up. “Fine, just forget I said anything.”
 
“What are you really asking me?” He asked, surprising her.
 
“What do you mean?” She tried to feign innocence, but could tell by his sharp gaze that it wasn't working.
 
“You don't really care about your sister's wellbeing…I've seen the way the two of you treat each other. You're trying to find out something else.”
 
Kagome blushed. “Is it that obvious?”
 
“Yes,” he replied simply, his voice still sounding colder than he meant it to. But he couldn't help it, the girl made him nervous and flighty, and his only way of covering such feelings was by sounding angry. Luckily it didn't seem to bother her overly much.
 
She smoothed her skirts with her hands, looking at the ground, and he couldn't help but notice how her hands looked so soft when put against the creamy color of her gown. Her voice barely managed to pierce his hazy mind. “I was just wondering if you knew any more about, well, what happened to my sister three years ago, that involved a certain prisoner named Onigumo.”
 
“You don't know?” He scoffed, surprised when she shook her head.
 
“No, all I knew was that suddenly my sister stopped talking to me, and then one day came back to our home and lived with us for several months without returning to court when she was fifteen, a completely different person. I had thought it just part of her growing up, until Kouga told me about her relationship with the former prisoner Onigumo, who was released two weeks ago by you. He didn't know exactly what happened between the two, and I thought that you, as her fiancé, would know something more.” Her eyes had filled with that familiar sadness that always appeared whenever Kikyou was on her mind.
 
He grunted, feeling slightly better knowing Kikyou's sister knew less than he did. But then, he didn't know much either. “Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't know any more then you do. Kikyou's never been one to talk about her past, her family, or, well, much of anything.”
 
“What?” Kagome looked surprised. “But, you two are getting married. Certainly she must talk to you a little more then you're letting on.”
 
“Oh, she talks to me, when she wants something, like jewels or more dresses. But ever since we became engaged, she's closed herself off from me.” Why he was telling Kagome this, Inuyasha couldn't figure out, but the words were just pouring out of his mouth. Great, he berated himself, so now she would know about his marriage troubles too.
 
“I see,” Kagome looked away, back toward the dancers, where Kouga was currently twirling Sango about, much to Miroku's annoyance. The man was currently standing next to Inuyasha's empty throne with his arms crossed and his foot tapping impatiently and noticeably out of sync with the rhythm of the dance. Sango had refused him because he hadn't promised he wouldn't grope her on the dance floor.
 
An idea suddenly occurred to her, and Kagome turned to meet Inuyasha's gaze, ignoring the way her breath hitched in her throat as his eyes met hers. “Would you care to dance, when this song's over?”
 
“What?” Again, he hadn't been expecting that question, and Inuyasha stood up, staring at her stupidly for several seconds, before finally nodding. “Sure, I suppose. It's not like I have anything better to do.”
 
Kagome blanched slightly. “You don't have to make it sound like you'd rather be doing something else. We don't have to dance, if you'd rather not.” She winked, though it was obvious he'd hurt her. “I'm a big girl, I can handle rejection.”
 
Realizing how his comment must have sounded, he hastened to assure her he wanted nothing more then to dance with her, the way he'd seen Kouga do for so many nights, and something he'd been denied since that first night. “I didn't mean it that way. I just meant, well, these dinners bore me to death. I'd much rather be somewhere else, doing something else.”
 
“Like what?”
 
Of course, he thought, she had to ask him that. He had absolutely no idea; he just knew he wanted to be somewhere else. Thankfully he was saved from having to answer, however, because the dance ended, to which he responded by standing up and taking her hand, leading her out to the floor.
 
Everyone stared as the sister of the future Queen began to dance with the King, and without them realizing what was happening, the rest of the dancers formed a circle to watch the pair, leaving Inuyasha and Kagome as the only couple on the floor.
 
The song was fast, much faster then the others Kagome had danced to that night with Kouga. Or, an inner voice thought, perhaps it was the fact that her heart was beating faster then it had all night now that she was in the arms of the King. Either way, she was soon breathing hard, and feeling like she was flying as he twirled her from one end of the floor to the other, completely oblivious to the other court members, who were staring at them as though gawking at some incredible sight.
 
The steps to the waltz were intricate and had them spinning constantly, which meant they had to stare at one another at all times or risk collapsing from dizziness. And for some reason, the fact that they maintained eye contact only added to the sexual tension between them at the moment.
 
Inuyasha felt like he was walking on air, holding Kagome's light but curvaceous form against his own body, her scent surrounding him as her hair fell right beneath his chin, in a perfect place for his nose to sniff. She was even more beautiful in his arms then she had been when he'd watched her dance from afar, and without realizing it, his left hand was slowly pushing her lower back closer to him as his right hand guided her quickly to the pace of the waltz, her slight frame allowing him to lead her wherever he wanted to go.
 
Their movements were sharp, as though both meant to expend some incredible amount of reserved energy. As he'd spin her about, Kagome would lean her head back slightly, exposing her elegant swan-like neck, and Inuyasha would want to lick his lips in anticipation. He would pull her back, and Kagome would shiver as she'd feel his hot breath on her ear as she'd lean her head against his chest.
 
He was so strong, so solid, so incredibly…masculine and handsome. Never had she been more aware of the fact that he was a man as much as she was at that moment.
 
His amber eyes would follow her intensely as she stepped away, leading him now in the middle part of the dance, his own body responding and copying her movements exactly before pulling her back against him again, twirling her about, at one point lifting her entirely off the ground, to which she gasped in surprise. It was the most incredible experience either had known in their entire life.
 
The music began to slow down gradually, and the couple drew closer together, twirling slower and slower, until finally, with one last dip, the song ended, and Inuyasha found himself staring at Kagome's neck, her head back, her eyes closed and her breathing sharp and erotic as he held her head in one hand and her waist in the other to keep her from falling backward. Not even the applause broke the trance they were in as he brought her back up to face him, and Kagome felt her breath catch as she met his amber eyes, gazing at her with more then just interest in their depths…now she saw fire, and more, raw desire. It caused her to shiver, not in fear, but because what she saw mirrored what was running through her own hot blood at that instant.
 
Miroku whistled, and the shrill noise finally broke the trance-like state they had been in, reminding them that they were currently in front of at least forty other people, causing Kagome to blush. “Um,” she stammered, “Th-thank you, Your Maj…I mean, Inuyasha.”
 
She was breathing hard, trying to catch her breath, and he was feeling dizzy as he replied, watching her eyes focus on reality once more. “Of course.” Stepping back, he bowed, trying to clear his head, but his eyes kept drifting back to her, to her dark orbs, and the desire within.
 
God, he thought, this cannot be happening. Why the hell did I have to dance with her? And why was his skin still searing from where she'd touched him with her own soft hands?
 
Kagome followed Inuyasha's example and moved back, away from him, back toward the windowsill, never taking her eyes off of his, her mother's words ringing through her head, about how love didn't make sense, and how you couldn't change what your heart wanted any more then you could turn back the tides of the sea.
 
It all made sense now…the reason why she never quite seemed to be attracted to Kouga, the reason why she always seemed to be looking for a certain someone in the crowd, and the reason why she always tried to picture her fiancé instead with silver hair and amber eyes. And the reality of the truth caused her whole being to tense in a frantic panic as she felt like a suddenly caged animal desperate for air and freedom.
 
No! Her mind screamed. No! But she couldn't deny the fact that for every no that came from her brain, her heart replied with a resounding yes, and she felt like she wanted to cry as she pictured Kikyou's face and realized the hopelessness of the situation she now found herself in.
 
She couldn't fall in love with him…she just couldn't. She refused!