InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Lecture ❯ Kagome's exhumed??? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

{blushes} I was gonna make this a one-shot in the whole scheme of things, but I got so many reviews and stuff, that I couldn't resist expanding it. I dunno if it'll have one or two more parts, but it will be a multi-parter. ^^;;; Hopefully that'll make people happy. Including my husband who was on me about it. {coughs} Anyway, here's the next installment! Please let me know what you think, that's how I got motivated to keep going on this and it means I'll post faster … nudge, nudge, wink, wink!!!

Again, I don't own Inu Yasha or any of the paraphernalia associated with it. Dang it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kagome tossed her bulky backpack out of the well and struggled to haul herself over the edge. She sat on the ground leaning against the well. She sighed and closed her eyes, wincing a little as her head knocked into the wood of the well.

`So, here I am. He didn't come get me. And I didn't get any sleep. Every time I closed my eyes I saw her laughing at me. God, I am such an idiot!'

A deep voice broke into her thoughts, "Wench! You just going to lie there all day?"

Kagome gasped and opened her eyes, "Inu Yasha ..."

His face was inches from hers, "What's wrong with you? We've got to get going. I was about to come after you. We don't have time for you to lie around." Inu Yasha turned and grabbed her pack, slinging it easily over one shoulder. "You coming, wench?"

Kagome blinked, "Yeah …" She slowly stood, then wobbled and grabbed hold of the well, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. `Must've gotten less sleep than I thought.' Kagome slowly opened her eyes, then gasped and almost fell over.

Inu Yasha's golden eyes stared into hers, his face mere inches from hers. His arms darted out and easily caught her as she stumbled. "Feh. I thought somethin' wasn't right." He lifted her into his arms and started bounding toward the village.

Kagome blinked. `He's carrying me. I'm not riding on his back. He's carrying me.' Kagome was suddenly wide awake. She looked up at Inu Yasha's face. His expression was as unreadable as usual, but Kagome thought she saw something there, something different. She just couldn't figure out what it was. She shook her head, `I'm so tired I'm imagining things.' She allowed herself to relax a little. `He's so warm …' Exhaustion swept through her. Without thinking she snuggled closer to Inu Yasha and closed her eyes, resting against him.

Inu Yasha almost dropped her. He looked down at her in his arms, eyes closed, resting against him and a slight red tint colored his face. `Kagome …' He noticed a stray strand of ebony hair brushing across her face. He shifted her carefully in his arms, then gently brushed the hair away, without touching her soft skin. His golden eyes swept over her face, and he almost returned the small smile he found on her lips.

He shook his head and growled at himself, `Just get her to Kaede-baaba's and get her comfortable.' He looked down at her again, `She looks like she hasn't slept for days.'

He leapt down from the trees and into the clearing around the village, racing to Kaede's hut. Without knocking, he walked into her home and into the area Kagome normally used to sleep in. The only person in the hut was Kaede herself.

"Inu Yasha, what's happened to Kagome?"

"Don't worry old woman. She's just tired. She's not injured." Inu Yasha bent over and very gently laid Kagome down onto the futon, absently brushing more hair from her face. Then, he gently lifted the light bedding up and over Kagome, gazing down at her with an unreadable expression in his eyes.

Kaede paused at the gesture feeling almost like an intruder, then walked over to Kagome's futon and gently tucked some of the bedding around her. "I see, the poor child. She needs her sleep, else she will fall ill."

Inu Yasha set Kagome's bag down in a corner of the room and walked back over to the sleeping Kagome. "She was so exhausted she couldn't even walk."

Kaede looked up at Inu Yasha, surprise on her face at the gentle tone of his words, her eyes widened further at the expression on his face. `He is speaking with confidence, but he is worried for her …'

Inu Yasha gazed down at Kagome, concern and many other emotions on his face, softening it, his golden eyes appeared to glow with his emotions.

"Inu Yasha …"

Kaede's voice broke the spell that seemed to have taken the hanyou. He visibly shook himself, then, without looking at Kaede turned and left the hut.

Hours later, Kagome moaned softly and her eyes opened. Sango looked down at her and smiled. "Morning! Or I guess I should say evening." She giggled and winked at Kagome.

Kagome leaned up on her elbows in an attempt to see better in the dimly lit room, "What time is it? How long have I been sleeping?"

"Well, let's see, you got back some time this morning and it's now long past sunset."

Kagome sat up fully, "I slept all day?!?!?"

A small ball of fur pounced at the sound of her loud shriek, "Kagome!" Shippo clung to her and Kagome hugged him gently. "We were worried when you slept so long Kagome! But Kaede said you'd be fine once you woke up! She said you were exhumed!"

Kagome laughed, "You mean exhausted, Shippo!"

Shippo looked down, his brows coming together in concentration as he tried to remember, "Oh yeah … exhausted."

Kagome and Sango giggled at the kit.

Miroku walked up behind Sango, "It is good to hear your laughter again Lady Kagome."

Kagome smiled up at the monk, "Thanks Miroku."

Sango's eyes bugged out and she stood and swung around, the movement ending with the loud "crack!" of her hand slapping his cheek. "Hentai!!!!"

Kagome giggled, absently petting the young fox kit curled happily in her lap. Her eyes wandered the room, searching.

"Ah, so you're awake at last Kagome. We thought ye might sleep through the night as well."

Kagome smiled up at Kaede, "Guess not, course, now I'm starving since I haven't eaten all day!"

Kaede smiled back at the young girl, carefully looking her over. `Some of the life has returned to her eyes. Hopefully, she will continue to get better.' "I will prepare some food for ye Kagome. Ye rest here a while more with your friends. They have worried for ye."

Kagome hesitantly spoke up, "Kaede … where's Inu Yasha?"

A deeper male voice growled softly, "Open your eyes, wench."

Kagome gasped and spun around, kneeling to peer into the dark corner slightly behind her, away from the center of the room. Inu Yasha stood there, one foot leaning on the wall, his arms crossed. She couldn't read his expression, his face and eyes were hidden by shadow. Then, he slowly leaned down toward her face. Kagome gasped her eyes widening. He cocked his head slightly to the side.

"Well, at least you look better. You don't look like yer gonna fall over if a strong wind blows and your eyes don't look like someone punched you anymore."

Kagome blinked and looked down, then her eyes widened as she realized what he said, her fists clenched and she glared up at Inu Yasha, "Yeah well, I have things I have to do besides mess around with you all the time!!! I have school work and chores and … and then there's spending time with my family and … and I have other things besides you to worry about!!!"

Inu Yasha raised an eyebrow and smirked, "Yeah, but you spend more time here, so this must be more important than any of that other stuff." He waved a hand dismissively in front of his face, as though brushing away a bad smell.

Kagome growled and poked a finger in his chest, "That's because you'd have a fit if I wasn't here all the time. You must be jealous!"

Inu Yasha glared, "Jealous?!? Of what?"

Kagome smiled and crossed her arms, "Of me spending time with other things and people besides you. Yup! That must be it. You're jealous."

Inu Yasha blinked, "What are you talking about?!? Why would I be jealous of you spending time with your family or school work, huh?"

Sango and Miroku exchanged looks and smiled in relief. Kaede gently picked up Shippo. Kagome didn't even notice, she just grinned, "You're jealous cuz you know I spend time with other people too!"

Inu Yasha growled, "What're you talkin' about? Those weird girls you hang out with?"

Kaede wandered off to the cooking area, with Shippo plugging his ears with his fingers. `Yes, she's definitely more like her usual self.'

A shriek was her answer, "Weird?!?!? Weird?!?!? Who're you calling weird?!?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OKAY! There ya go! Please, please, please let me know what you think! There's this one and my Many Thoughts out there that I'd really like to hear how people are feeling about my characterizations and such. I'm trying to keep them as close as possible to how Rumiko wrote them!

E-mail: Soulsearcher_1219@hotmail.com