InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Marching Dragons ❯ Hell Week ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Marching Dragons
Chapter Sixteen: Hell Week
 
{Disclaimer: No matter how much I wish, it will never come true and I shall never, ever own anything written in this fic.}
 
Authors Note: Okay…I'm sorry for not updating in like Goddess knows how long. I couldn't help it. I got back from China, which was awesome and if anyone wishes to see picture let me know and I'll e-mail them to ya, then I had mass quantities of make up work to do. I found out that no amount of makeup work and help if you miss about a week of pre-calculus and physics. So I had to work my butt of in those classes. Thankfully I got B's in them. If not, I wouldn't be on the computer right now. After that…I got lazy. What can I say? I just didn't feel like writing. I'm in the creative writing class at school; that was enough. Well, I'm back now and Adish has been kind pushing me to get this done. It's nearly complete after all. Only about ::looks at her notes:: Nine or less chapters left. Okay, enough with my rambles. Enjoy the long awaited chapter!
 
Oahtmeal: Sorry, no lemon in this fic. I do want to write a lemon someday, I was planning on having Warming a Cold Heart be my lemon fic, and the actual lemon would only be on Mediaminer.org and my website though.
 
Demonic Gurl: Sorry, it was so short, I was running out of ideas. I was upset by the length too. Pit Orchestra is only during the spring musical. There are three parts to the musical: cast, tech, and pit. The cast are the singers and the actors. The tech are the people who do the lighting and sound board and such. The pit is where band members play the live music for the cast to sing to. They are usually hidden away in a hole in front of the stage called the pit, thus they are known as the pit orchestra. It's usually a smaller band with people who have been doing it for years and are VERY good at their instrument.
 
Tsuki Yume/Bluedove: Yes, this is a version of the “Wizard of Oz”. It's the prequel to it and shows the untold story of the Wicked Witch of the West.
 
-Flame
 
~~*~=~*~=~*~~
 
 
MONDAY:
 
I think I might have made a mistake once again. This whole Pit thing is pretty insufferable. It's about five thirty now and we've been here since two thirty. The cast is pretty bad. The director, Mrs. Cosby has no clue how to direct. She keeps changing things from minute to minute. I now understand why Kagome's been so stressed out recently. And, I don't think it helps that we don't get to go home until ten or so tonight.
 
I closed the book I was close to finishing when Mr. O asked for our attention. “Hey guys, Mrs. Cosby is going to keep talking for the next couple minutes. Why don't you all go to dinner early? If you're eating here it's up at the entrance to the auditorium.” A few people snickered at this as we left the pit.
 
I was one of the last people out of the crater and walking through the dressing room area when Jen walked up next to me. “So where are you going for dinner?”
 
“They're giving us some here. Why go out?” Her eyes widened.
 
“If I didn't know any better I would think you were a Freshie.” She shook her head then. “You'll find out soon why you'll want to go out.” With that she ran off with Annette. I was alone for the first time that day and finally relaxed. I don't know if I like the fact I'm getting closer with the other Pit members. I guess it can be practice with dealing with father later on.
 
By the time I got up to where the food was supposed to be, no one was there. Well, there was a parent there to direct traffic or such, but that was it. There was a salad on the table and the woman smiled at me. “Sorry, the food isn't here yet so you can just wait in line here,” She pointed to the edge of the table. “It should be here soon.”
 
I nodded and waited where she said to for a few moments before the crew came up to me. “Hey,” one of them called waling up. “Do you think the crew can in line before you? Only because they have to work and eat at the same time. I don't know if you heard, but Cosby just said if people haven't eaten by six twenty-five oh well, they go hungry.”
 
My eyes widened and I let the small group of people in front of me. Looking at my watch I notice it was fifteen to six now. If this what the Pit was trying to avoid? Gazing around the small auditorium lobby I hoped Kagome got here soon. I wanted to make sure she got something to eat. It didn't take too much longer for the cast to get here, and when they did, I wished they hadn't.
 
The first thing they did was push their way in front. The crew members began to argue. The one this that really began to anger me was the cast saying they were the only important thing in the play. I was growing angrier and angrier as the seconds ticked by. Right as I began reaching my limit I felt a hand touch my arm. I instantly relaxed. Turning to look and Kagome she smiled sheepishly. “Sorry.” Shaking my head I pulled her away from the line.
 
“It's not your fault.”
 
“Where are we going?” She asked as we left the building and headed out to my car.
 
“To the shopping center across the street. We're getting dinner.”
 
“I didn't bring any money.” I looked at her flatly as we got in the vehicle. “Right, you're the boyfriend. I don't need money.”
 
“That's right.” I said starting the car and driving out of there. Normally I would hate a woman to say that, but Kagome would never take advantage and asked for expensive things.
 
It took less than five minutes to make it to the shopping center and I turned to Kagome once again. “Where do you want to go?”
 
“Subway?” I nodded and the two of us walked to the store.
 
“We'll do this everyday.” I informed her was she was deciding what to order. “We don't always have to go here, but I refuse to leave you to that pack of wild animals called the cast.” She laughed and patted my arm. She could tell I was still angry, and I thought I had right to be.
 
“Hai, hai.” She smiled, shaking her head as well. Looking up at the menu I began to decide what I would eat as well. A giggle came from beside me and I turned to look at Jen and Annette.
 
“I see you had to learn the hard way.” Jen smiled. “Welcome to hell week.”
 
“It'll get worse.” Annette added, smiling sadistically. “Just you wait.”
 
TUESDAY:
 
It was two thirty and I had not forgotten Annette's foreboding warning. If this was only going to get worse, I was afraid, truly and utterly afraid. Sitting in my chair I pulled out my music and put together my flute. As I began warming up and going over the trickier measures of the songs the other members began filing in. It wasn't until almost three when we actually began to practice. Why? Mrs. Cosby was late, of course.
 
We were playing the first song, very well I might add. I don't believe I've heard the pit sound so good before. Suddenly, O cut us off. Everyone stopped playing and O made a face I couldn't really place. It was a mixture of anger and frustration almost. Behind me I hear Jen groan. “And it begins,” she whispered to herself.
 
“Babies, babies, babies. There's something wrong.” What? With what? It sounded fine. “Pit, I think you're in the wrong key.” Huh? We're playing out of the official book. It was printed by the same people who wrote the musical.
 
“Actually, I think the singers are out of key.” Ms. Gipe, the choir director spoke up.
 
“No.” Mrs. Cosby said. “I like the way they sound. The pit needs to change.” Excuse me? O made that face again and looked at the music a second.
 
“Okay, pit? Everyone that plays in the first song put it in the key of B Major.” My eyes widened. That put two more sharps onto the piece, a total of five all together. Oh my dear god…I wrote in the changes and we started practice once more. Mrs. Cosby liked it, even though the pit didn't sound as good anymore. We needed to practice the new changes.
 
We ended up changing the keys of two or three more pieces before dinner. After eating, we were going to run the whole thing though at least once. The show was on Friday and we were making major changes like this. Jen and Annette were right. It was only the beginning and I just couldn't wait to see what would come up next.
 
WENDSDAY:
 
It was after dinner, and I was a lot calmer now that I was with Kagome, even though Naraku had ruined the last part of it. He was luck I hadn't killed him yet. Just like yesterday we had to change the keys of some of the songs, which made all of us want to die. O quit wearing his tie during practice. He would take it off right before. I believe it was to stop himself from hanging himself by it, not that any of us blamed him, especially now.
 
We've been playing for about an hour or so now, but it was the same ten measures over and over again. Why? The dancers, in four to five inch high heels, couldn't do the steps just right. The only thing I was grateful fore was the fact I didn't play there. Neither did Jen apparently. I heard her mutter once or twice how it was Little Shop all over again. If it's like this every year, I'm glad I'm graduating.
 
I had finished my book though, and couldn't run to by backpack and get another one. I had finished all my homework as well, so all I could do was sit there and try not to sleep. At this rate though, it was going to be rather hard.
 
THURSDAY:
 
It was official. We all wanted to die. It was the night before the opening night and all the things we had worked on in the past week were forgotten. It went as far as for Mrs. Cosby to tell the pit we “sucked”. We were all angry and tired of being here. All of us. Kagome was so tired that she would eat as quickly as she could and then sleep in my lap. The thing that made me the angriest was she knew this would happen. She's the lead every year.
 
We were running through the whole show and the pit sounded phenomenal. I began to like Ms. Gipe when she came down and told the pit to ignore Mrs. Cosby. She said that, “the pit was the best part of this play. Without you guys, I fear what it would be like.” I would too. I fear it now as is.
 
“Okay!” Mrs. Cosby said as we finished the second run. “I want to do it three more times before we can go home.” The pit groaned. The best thing about this was no one but O could hear our complaints. It was already eight, and O had informed the pit long ago that once ten hits and we're still practicing, we can leave. Thank god. Then all I had to do it sit in the audience and wait for Kagome. Those times were the only time I was actually able to see the show.
 
The set was absolutely beautiful. Too bad no one ever really complemented the crew. Well, the pit did, but we were overlooked just as much. I hoped the show would be worth all this. Though, if I wasn't in here I would never be able to see Kagome, so at least one good thing came out of this.
 
FRIDAY:
 
I was driving home with Kagome in the car and it was 2:10. As soon as we found out that we didn't have to be at the school till 6:15, we refused to be there any longer after the bell rang. Well, Kagome had to be there by 5:30, but that was fine. We still had time off and time together.
 
No one was at my house, except for the maids of course. Inuyasha was over at Kikyou's and father and Izayoi were working; Father at West Corp. Industries, and Izayoi spending his money at the local mall. So the two of us went there.
 
We all but ran to my room and as Kagome lied on the bed I set the alarm for five. Then I got in the bed as well and held her in my arms as we both fell into a much needed and blissful sleep.
 
~~*~=~*~=~*~~
 
I was standing outside the band room waiting for admittance. It was six o' clock and I had returned after getting something to eat. Kagome was probably in makeup still. She was rushed away from my side the moment I brought her in. I wouldn't get to see her until after the play.
 
Other pit members joined me outside the door and tried to open it. I didn't mention it was locked. They knew it was locked too. O always locked the door when he wasn't around. Thankfully though, he didn't take very long to come. The few people who where here grabbed our instruments and headed down to the pit. Along with my music I carried a book with me. If I couldn't be with Kagome during intermission, I'd read.
 
I warmed up a bit, quietly. I didn't want the few people trickling in to hear. Once I felt I was fairly warmed up I pulled out my book and started reading. The time flew by and soon I heard people call my name.
 
Looking up I saw Inuyasha, Sango, and Miroku hanging over the pit. “Oi! Shou!” Inuyasha yelled and I blinked at him.
 
“What do you want? Can't you see I'm reading?”
 
“Well fine, ignore the support I'm giving you. Fuck you too.” I shook my head and stood, moving closer to the wall so I could see them better. “I wanted to give ya a heads up anyway.”
 
“Oh?” I raised my eyebrow.
 
“Your father's here.” Sango said. “He drove us all.” I froze at that comment. The two of us have been more civil to each other, under Kagome's influence, but I still couldn't figure out why he cared to see my performances now. He never did in the past.
 
“Thanks.” I said and Miroku placed a hand over his heart.
 
“Did we just hear right? The great Sesshoumaru said “Thanks?” I glared at him and he laughed. The overhead lights flashed and the group said their goodbyes as we all went to our seats. As I picked up my flute O waked by and handed me a light peach and orange tipped rose.
 
“Good luck.” He said and then handed a rose to Annette and wished her luck as well. Soon the whole pit had a rose. We placed them in places where they wouldn't get harmed and we started playing the opening song.
 
From what I could hear, it sounded as if the cast was doing a good job, at least ten times better than practice. It sounded almost like they were different people. Between the songs I would pull out my book and read a bit, but I was always ready to play when the time came. Oddly it didn't feel like a long time before intermission came around.
 
I was reading my book once again when my name was called. I looked up expecting to see Inuyasha again, but I would be that lucky. My father leaned over the railing to the pit and looked like he might fall in. I didn't get up to see him better or make it easier for him to talk to me.
 
“You guys sound really good,” he said.
 
“Thank you.” I didn't want to talk to him. I didn't even want him to be here.
 
“Kagome looks wonderful. Have you seen it?”
 
“Yes.” He sighed. I guess he realized he wasn't going to get much out of me tonight.
 
“All right, I'm going back to my seat. I take it you don't need a ride home?”
 
“No. I'm taking Kagome home too, so I'll be late.” He nodded and the house light flashed. He left and O came in.
 
“All right guys, ready for act two?” He smiled and we began to play. Act two seemed a lot longer and I think we played more too. That's what it felt like at least. It didn't matter. It ended soon and I didn't even have to wait long for Kagome. By the time I had my instrument packed away I only had a ten minute wait.
 
When she came out the green face makeup was gone and for that I was glad. “Good job.” I smiled and kissed her, handing her a rose I had bough from above the stage while I was waiting for her.
 
“Thanks.” She smelled it and sighed. “I'm tired though.”
 
“I bet, come on. I'll take you home.” The two of us hopped in the car and Kagome fell asleep on the way to her house. “Kagome.” I shook her awake gently. I kissed her goodbye as she left the car and entered the dark house. It was going to be like this for the next few days.
 
I just hope we can both survive it.