InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Marching Dragons ❯ Prom ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Marching Dragons
Chapter Seventeen: Prom
 
{Disclaimer: I don't own anything of this. Not even a remote part. The excerpt belongs to Jim Butcher too.}
 
Authors Note: ::sighs:: okay, this is sorta a filler chapter. I wanted to skip it, but I'm getting enough flack from my step-mother, mother, and friends about skipping my own prom. I figured if I skipped it in the fic my friends would at least want my blood. Please note that like Homecoming, I've never been to prom. I don't plan on going either, not if I have anything say in the matter. I asked my friend De what happens. She was very, very vague. So, if there's something wrong, don't yell at me for it. I know not of these things. The outfits of the group are below. Please do not forget to remove the spaces.
 
Kikyou: http:// www. Dresses .com/ pictures/ 9094l. jpg
Sango: http:// www. prom-dresses .com/ pictures/ 9043l. jpg
Kagome: http:// www. raspberryberet .com/ bluecinderella. html
Sesshoumaru (Change the purple to white in this picture): http:// www. verymerryseamstress .com/ laural01. jpg
 
Enjoy!
 
Demonic Gurl: Yes, I usually am in the Pit. So come spring I'll most likely disappear again.
 
-Flame
 
~~*~=~*~=~*~~
 
Unlike Homecoming, I wasn't even remotely stressed out. Kagome and I were already going steady and I didn't have to be embarrassed about asking her to Prom. A small smile graced my features as I thought of the night to come. Our whole group was going together, all but Shippou. He wasn't able to find an upperclassman to take him. It was fine though, we promised to bring pictures back for him.
 
I was buttoning my frilly white pirate shirt as Inuyasha walked in. “What the hell are you wearing?”
 
“A shirt.”
 
“Well no duh.” I could almost feel him rolling his eyes at me. “Why the hell is it frilly?”
 
“Kagome's not wearing a typical dress tonight. I got it to match hers.” I moved to face the large mirror across from the door to fix my hair into a long ponytail. I could see Inuyasha in his typical black tux standing behind me in the reflection. I was already wearing the tight black pants and high calf length boots. All I needed now was the navy blue frock coat. Grabbing it from off my bed and buttoning it I turned to face Inuyasha.
 
“You look like a fag.” I glared and brushed past him. We were meeting the girls here in five minutes.
 
“Shut up.” I hurried down the stairs. Kagome was arriving with Kikyou. Why? Because, Kikyou's mother is forcing them to. They can't even get along in the same hallway, let alone the confined space of a car.
 
“Relax. Kikyou won't hurt Kagome.”
 
“How do you know that?” I was scanning the area out front through the window. I was worried. I don't want Kagome hurt because her step-mother refuses to let me pick her up.
 
“I made her promise me. If I go back to her house with her later tonight, then she'll leave Kagome alone.” The outside didn't matter anymore as Inuyasha's words sunk in. Turning to him, I blinked a few times.
 
“Where's Kagome supposed to go tonight?” I didn't want to think about what those two would be doing after the prom. I didn't want to thing about the face that he was doing this for Kagome's sake. I didn't want to acknowledge the fact that Inuyasha has never liked Kikyou and still wants to be with Kagome. She was mine, I won't think about the fact that others want her. I'd have to kill too many people.
 
“I was thinking she could stay here since dad and mom aren't going to be home.” I didn't say anything, I couldn't. Outside the sound of car doors shutting echoed into the house. I ran to the door and opened it. Kikyou was standing next to Kagome waiting for us. Kikyou looked like a slut as always. Her dress was a solid black full length skirt, but the top was that of a piece of lingerie. Kagome though, I smiled widely as I took her in my arms.
 
Her slightly fluffed, full length baby blue dress brushed against the doorframe as I took her in my arms. Her lace sleeves fell around us, mingling with my navy coat as well as the white lace around her skirt. I kissed her fully on the lips and caressed her cheek. I don't usually do these things with company, family or not, but she was so beautiful, I couldn't help it. “Well, don't you two look like you just stepped out of a romance novel?”
 
We broke the kiss and Kagome laughed as Sango and Miroku walked in to join the paw-wow. Like Inuyasha, Miroku was wearing the traditional black tux. Sango's dress almost matched Kagome's; a sky blue dress over a layer of white. Where Kagome's hair was up in curls Sango's flowed around her in waves. “You look awesome Sango.” She hugged her friend and took my hand.
 
“So where are you taking me for dinner?” Kikyou asked Inuyasha. We were all going, but it wasn't in her personality to add others in a sentence that came from her mouth.
 
“We,” Miroku spoke up, taking Sango in his arms, “all the guys that is, are taking you girls to Carrabba's Italian Grill.” The girls looked delighted at that, I should hope. It was one of the most expensive places in the area. I'm sure Kagome's never been there, and their stake is to die for. The six of us walked outside as our limo drove up to the house. Normally I don't like to use it and I wouldn't even now, but Kikyou insisted. So Inuyasha asked our father if he could borrow the family limo for the night.
 
The six of us piled into the limo and began to relax as we made our way to the restaurant. I had made sure to call ahead and make the reservation. Not that you needed one, but it got rid of an hour or so wait to get in. Kagome and I sat in the middle, facing the glasses and cooler. Inuyasha and Kikyou were to our left and Sango and Miroku were to our right. I made sure that Kagome was closest to the right. Inuyasha may have gotten Kikyou to promise not to do anything to Kagome, but I didn't trust that.
 
I sat back and just watched everyone as they talked. Sango and Kagome were deeply involved in some conversation they must have been having at some point earlier in the day. Inuyasha was ignoring everyone save for Kikyou, again only to appease her. “You look very special, Shou.” Looking at Miroku I suppressed a glare at the smirking ex-drum major.
 
“It compliments Kagome.” I placed my arm around her shoulders and she looked at me with a smile on her face. She had showed me the dress she was getting a few weeks earlier and I made sure to get something that would make her look even more beautiful. It didn't take too long to get to Carrabba's, of that I was glad. Miroku's nice and all, but I don't quite like talking with him. He makes me edgy, I don't know why. Maybe it's the whole thing that he bossed me around for a few months and I could do nothing but obey.
 
Getting out of the limo Inuyasha told Marshall, our driver, he would call before they left. The black stretched car drove off and we all entered the building. Kagome looked up at the plants atop the roof as she passed through the door with a smile. I walked up to the front of the group and the hostess smiled. “I have a reservation, under Hibiki.” She looked at the list on the podium before her and continued to smile.
 
“Ah, yes. Right this way please.” I could hear the complaints of the other consumers who had been there long before us as we walked off to our table. The hostess placed menus on the table as we took our seats. We situated ourselves much like we had in the limo.
 
“I didn't know you could get reservations to this place.” Miroku commented looking at his menu. I shrugged and opted to watch Kagome as she decided what to order. I was going to get the Sirloin Marsala. I always did when I came here.
 
“Hi, my name's Jessica.” She smiled and took out her notepad from a pocket. “Can I get you anything to drink or to start with?”
 
“A Shirley Temple, please.” Kagome smiled as she ordered.
 
“Ice tea.” I said. Sango ended up ordering a Shirley Temple as well. Inuyasha, Miroku, and Kikyou all ordered water. “I would also like to get the Antipasti Platter please.” Jessica nodded and headed off with our orders. Everyone fell back into comfortable small talk as we waited and decided what to get. When Jessica came back with our drinks we were all ready to order. I got my Sirloin Marsala, which I was very happy about. Kagome decided on the Pollo Rosa Maria. Sango and Miroku decided to split an Italian Chicken Pizza. Inuyasha got the Manicotti. Kikyou only got a Caesar salad. I suppose when you ware a dress like that you can't eat too much.
 
Jess left with our orders only to return soon with the appetizer. Dinner went very smoothly. We even let the girls get desert. Only Sango and Kagome took us up on that offer, but that was fine. Especially once the three men, myself included saw the bill. I knew it was going to be expensive, but it was nearly two hundred dollars. Between the three of us we left a hefty tip for Jessica. She was a sweet girl and deserved every penny of it. By the time we got out of the restaurant, the limo was already waiting for us.
 
Thankfully Carrabba's wasn't too far from the place the dance was being held. We got there in good time. Not too many people where there, but enough that you could get lost in the crowd easily. We lost the two other couples with us not long after we entered the building. Turning to Kagome, I smiled lightly at her. “Do you wish to dance, Princess?” She blushed and nodded.
 
Leading her out onto the dance floor I was very happy that there was a slow dance going on. I pulled her close to be and began to sway us in time with the music. “Did you know Inuyasha's going back to your place with Kikyou later tonight?” I asked as she rested her head on my chest.
 
“No.” She sounded upset. “I guess that means no sleep for me again.” I knew this wasn't the first time, but I didn't know it kept Kagome up. Maybe I should take her back to my place, or at least offer it.
 
“Would you…ah, like you come home with me?” She looked up and smiled.
 
“That would be nice. I have a feeling that I'm going to be tired tonight.” I nodded, I had that feeling too.
 
“I promise I won't ravish you too.” I smirked as I spun her. The song had changed and turned into a new upbeat one. We continued dancing to the new music and had the time of our lives. I don't like to dance or go to school dances. I never had, Homecoming excluded that is. I was actually having fun tonight though. Kagome wanted to get our picture taken together with the professional photographer that was there and I agreed. I even smiled when the picture was taken. We got four copies where Kagome was in my arms and almost resting her head on my chest. My arms were wrapped around her waist and her hands rested lightly atop of mine. Each of us where going to keep one. Shippou was going to get one since he wanted pictures and we were going to send one to Kagome's mom.
 
We danced a bit longer before it got very, very crowded. I've always hated crowds, Kagome knows this. I think that's why she suggested that we leave. I called Marshall from a pay phone since the pirate like outfit didn't have any pockets. He said he would be here in a few minutes. Walking back to Kagome I wrapped my arms around her once more. Contentment filled me as she leaned back into my embrace. I haven't been this happy in so long I don't know what to do at times. This was one of those times.
 
“Marshall said he'd be here soon.” She nodded and I sighed. “Are you sure you want to come home with me? It will just be the two of us.”
 
“You already promised not to ravish me.” I could hear the amusement in her voice as she spoke. “So I shouldn't be worried, right?” I just smiled a bit as the limo pulled up. We got in and I lowered the window that separated the driver from the occupants.
 
“Marshall, please take us back home. I will be taking Kagome home from there.” He nodded and I went back to my date. Taking her hand we didn't say anything. It was one of those times where you didn't have to. You were just content being in each other's presents. The whole ride home was like that. Once we got out the limo drove away and I lead Kagome inside. “Make yourself at home.”
 
I was taking the coat off as Kagome made her way upstairs. Watching her from the door way I tried to hurry and follow. By the time I made it up the staircase she was already in my room. “Kagome?” I asked. I was confused, what was she doing?
 
She stood in front of one of my many bookcases looking at the titles on the spines. “I was wondering if you would read to me.” She blushed after she said it. “I know it sounds childish, but I can't help it. I like the sound of your voice.” Smiling, I moved to the dresser and took out one of my longer shirts and the one pair of shorts I owned.
 
“Once you find a book, let me know.” I handed her the clothes and turned to gather some for myself. “I would suggest you change out of that dress first. I won't come back in until you say it's safe.” She nodded as I left the room and began changing in the bathroom across the hall. Maybe I should have offered her a shower too?
 
It took a while to change out of the costume, almost longer than it did putting the bloody thing on. All the dancing made the tight pants stick to my legs. Trying not to dress too quickly, I changed into a tee-shirt and jogging pants.
 
I walked back to my room and knocked on the closed door. “I'm decent.” Opening the door, I was welcomed to the sight of Kagome lying on my bed already under the coverers and a book in her hand. She patted the bed and scooted down. Once I had climbed in she leaned against my chest, placing herself between my legs. Trying not to get any mental images I took the book from her.
 
Storm Front, huh? Have you read anything by Jim Butcher before?”
 
“No, but the summary sounded interesting.”
 
“You can take it home with you tomorrow if you like it,” I said opening to the first page.
 
“Thank you.” She snuggled down to get comfortable as I began reading.
 
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual. He didn't sound right. His footsteps fell more heavily, jauntily, and he whistled. A new guy. He whistled his way to my office door, then fell silent for a moment. Then he laughed.
 
“Then he knocked.
 
“I winced. My mail comes through the mail slot unless it's registered. I get a really limited selection of registered mail, and it's never good news. I got up out of my office chair and opened the door. I continued reading until I felt the beauty in my lap go limp and her breathing even out. Carefully, I left the bed and covered her with the blanket, resting her head on the pillows. Placing a chaste kiss upon her lips I smiled. “I love you Kagome.”
 
Turning off the bedside lamp, I left the room and headed downstairs for a night on the couch.